Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
I went and bought my first Alfa! 147 2.0 Sele
Well I finally bought my 147! I was going to get a lower spec model for something around £4-4.5k (the cheapest the ebay ones seem to be) but tbh they were all pretty tatty up-close. The plan was to then buy leather at around £500 from ebay (Rare that it comes up though) and to buy Superports (around £500 with tyres I guess). Then this one came up that already had the lot!
It's a 2.0 selespeed, Black with Tan leather, heated seats and the Bose sounds. It was advertised as 35k miles but it turned out the guy was try to blag it, looking through the paperwork I took note of the mileages, and noticed the numbers suddenly dropped at one of the services!
So he came clean and said that the dash had been replaced at 24k (Letter from Alfa to proove it). He still wouldn't budge on the price (£4995) so I only managed to get £50 off, but I figured £4945 is a decent enough price for a 60k miler with leather and supersports anyway isn't it?!
The paintwork has a couple of small but sharp dings on the passenger door, (I may try and find one of those miracle repair places to patch that up) and the bonnet is peppered with the tinyest stone chips pretty much all over, so small that I'm hoping a colour wax would probably lose most of.
• Any experience of what the best product to fill these little specs is?
On the interior there's only minor niggles, the LCD screen in the centre of the dash the bottom half doesn't work. So I get a message that starts to tell me "Front Left" and then nothing underneath it to say what the fault is! The 'front left' fault, it seems, is a sidelight bulb!
• Does this mean a loose connection, or a replacement screen needed? If I replace it, will it have to be from the same year, and a 2.0 sele? Can the screen alone come out and be replaced? Rather than buying a new dash!!
Plus the guy completely butchered the cupholder part of the dash, to fit in a cheapie ebay DVD player with motorised screen! It does work, but he's mounted it below the stanard HU to retain the steering controls and it sends its audio over an FM frequency.
Fun as it is, I've never seen the point in an in-car DVD player, especially along side another HU, so that's coming out and I'm going to refit cupholders as well as fitting my Sony HU, with my ipod adapter, and buying a steering controls connector.
• The Airbag light is on, (both of them!) which if it's the same as a Fiat simply means a trip to Alfa doesn't it? How much do they charge to rectify it??
Oh, and the Numberplate is still the guy's personal one, which he's in the process of changing back. So as soon as the paperwork's through I'll be a standard Y-reg again. I find M4X JF written in a scripty font so embarrassing!!
He's tinted the windows too, but I really like it, it's probably the most subtle tint available, so not to chavvy, I think goes well with the black.
The was one more thing I'm worried about though, please somebody set me straight!
Within 15 minutes of buying the car and setting off home, I was in City mode. Once while pulling up to the lights, the car started juddering horrendously and trying to pull me forward into the car in front! I was stamping on the brake to try and stop it, and eventually (God knows how, it was happening so fast!) thought to knock the lever into Neutral.
Scared the life out of me! It seemed that perhaps the gearbox didn't change itself down, and was coming to a standstill in 3rd or 4th and therefore struggling not to stall.
• Does this mean there's a major gearbox fault? Or that the Selespeed needs calibrating? Or software needs updating? Anybody else had this happen?
Luckily that fault's never happened since (Only been driving it for one day though!!) So I hope it's a rarity!
• One other thing was once, while pulling away up a hill, the car juddered the same again, this time there was a light on the dash (traction control maybe? - a warning triangle with part of a circle around it) A fault, or was I just wheelspinning without realising it?!
• Also, the Selespeed takes ages to change. Is that normal? The guy I bought it from said it takes longer from the paddles than it does from the stick, but I think neither are very instant.
If you can advise me on any of my little niggles it would be appreciated! I'm still loving the experience of driving it, I just want to tweak it so it's perfect!! I don't want to sound like I don't love the 147! it just needs some detailing! I think it's truly beautiful, and a gorgeous drive!
I'll get some pics up tomorrow, after I've given it it's first wash & wax!
. : Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed : Tan Leather : Bose Sounds : 17" Supersports : 40mm Lower : HK Drive & Play Ipod Kit : .
Maybe staying with Alfa though, see what I end up with next!