Drivers Side Electric Window Not Working - Advice needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Drivers Side Electric Window Not Working - Advice needed

'03 Alfa 156 Turismo JTD

My drivers side window switch has been on the way out for a while.

It has started being unresponsive a while back and will usually only work after a few pushes up and down or more recently I would have to press both the passenger side switch simultaneously a few times and then it kicks in and goes up and down ok but not at full speed.

I've had more pressing issues recently like a blown turbo so I haven't had time to get round to sorting it.

Well today it finally gave up the ghost and unfortunately when in the one third way down position.
When pressed down the switch/motor is giving a really nasty whirring/buzzing sound and there is no movement from the window whatsoever.

Would a faulty regulator cause this type of fault?

I presume if a fuse had blown neither window would work or I'd have no supply coming to the switch.

Is it an easy fix or am I best to go to a garage?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Faulty regulator more likely given the described whirring/buzzing sound. Your switch could be faulty, of course, but can't see why that would make any noise - mind you I can't see why pressing the passenger switch as well as driver's would make it work before.

Easy enough job - plenty of threads on here if you do a search, describing how to remove door card - you'll then be able to see if the mechanism has snapped the cable or whatever. Replacing the motor is only 15 minutes or so of a job, and second-hand spares are readily available.

Probably worth lubricating the runners for the glass to make things easier for the replacement motor, too......

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
Fairly easy job to do. Remove the door card then the motor and cable assembly comes out as one unit. If I remember rightly you unclip the unit from the glass, remove three bolts and out it comes. Rather than buying some equally worn out unit from Ebay etc, check out the price for a reconditioned exchange unit from your nearest Alfa dealer, as when I did the job on my 156 they were a lot cheaper than I expected.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , drivers , electric , needed , side , window , working