Strange Non starter 147 2.0TS 04
New one to me and I can't find an identical problem listed.
began 2 weeks ago - starter turns and starts the car on cold engine. Later in the day the starter motor appears dead. No clicking of a solenoid no turning, nothing. Try turning the key again and it would eventually connect to start and start as normal. Problem has been getting worse until today. No matter how many times We turn the key the starter motor will not turn.
1) Battery checked , reading 12.8 volts on multimeter so OK
2) on first key position (MAR) everything lights up on the dash as it should be
3) No immobilizer problem as the key warning hasn't appeared on the dash
4) all fuseblade and relay contacts were silicone greased a year ago and are still perfect.
5) Battery connections checked and OK
6) no clicking heard when the key is turned as one gets with a flat battery.
7) all electrical systems in the car function as normal (radio, ventilation fan, windows etc)
Don't know which fuses to check but will be checking them all in a few minutes.
I'm wondering if:
1) there is a relay involved somewhere in the circuit from keyswitch to starter motor, (although I didn't think there is)
2) The problem is with the starter solenoid that form part of the starter motor assembly.
Any ideas on which way to go would be appreciated.