What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1179Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 2927 Old 30-06-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today?

Just an idea.

To have a thread where we can share what we have done or bought or considered for our beloved cars "today" thread.

Hopefully this might catch on?

I will kick off..

Managed to align my front bumper properly...Big thanks to shiny car's guide to bumper removal. Once i had removed the front portion of arch liner the 2 torx screws were revealed and the bumper was easily aligned as it should be.

Did notice my oil cooler pipes looked a tad ropey. Will have to look into oil cooler options. Is upgrading the unit wise at this point? Covered the pipes in rust protectant for now. Better the devil you know.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (63.4 KB, 143 views)

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 24-03-15 at 21:18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
I started carbon-fibre hydrographic dipping interior pieces. Technically this is from my 159 but I don't the 147 will escape totally scott free. haha.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps434d5884.jpg
(Post Link) post #3 of 2927 Old 01-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Great quality job Artermis. Look forward to seeing the pieces on the car.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Done the steering wheel surround this morning too. This pic is straight out of the tank and still drying. It is currently sat on my kitchen side with it's second coat of clear drying on it.

Last edited by Artermis; 08-06-15 at 05:45.
AO Silver Member

County: New South Wales
I started a thread like this EXACTLY the same a few years ago. I thought it was my own thread coming back.

But unlike this thread my thread had NO responses
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
Great idea for the thread!

Got top and lower turbo hose delivered today from autolusso. Tomorrow will have aircon pipe replaced together with the lower hose (ok, I won't be doing this myself), over the weekend planning to replace top turbo hose myself.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Replaced a parking sensor and washed it.

All the best

Pub
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
Today I took her for a thrash from Liverpool to work in Manchester and back. She loved it. I loved it! I did find myself cleaning the engine cover on Sunday though.
(Post Link) post #9 of 2927 Old 01-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds GTV 2001 View Post
I started a thread like this EXACTLY the same a few years ago. I thought it was my own thread coming back.

But unlike this thread my thread had NO responses
Fingers crossed this time Fred. Just thinks its nice to share what we do to our pride and joy's.

Well had a visit from Dent wizard and had a few body gremlins removed.. She is absolutely spotless again.. He even noticed a small dent on the bonnet and removed it.

Also had a call from Gazella racing about my alu strutbrace which should be with me shortly. Nice chap also spoke about suspension setups.

And last but not least went to Platinum alloy wheel solutions to discuss the refurbishment of my clover 18's. They did an amazing job on the wheels of my last show car. Have decided on shade and colour now and will be adding a little subtle personal touch.

Damien.

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 24-03-15 at 21:18.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I just stood and admired mine and for the first time in ages a week after washing it and being rained on and it being black still looks clean
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Well I followed the guides on here a took all my lights out the front end. They all had water/water marks/condensation in. Washed them all though with screen wash, dried them out over night and refitted. Small thing but much happier it's done and looks better too :0)
AO Member

I had some some welding to the inner front wheel arches today,whilst all the suspension and engine and box are out
on my recently purchased 156 V6,[alfonso],seems to be a weak point on the 156,but not on this one now.Just replaced cambelt and waterpump and bearings and tensioner with genuine parts on replacement engine,so much easier with engine out,also upgrading to a Direnza alloy radiator for better cooling,all i need to do now is to put it all back together.
Graham.
(Post Link) post #13 of 2927 Old 01-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaTurismo View Post
Well I followed the guides on here a took all my lights out the front end. They all had water/water marks/condensation in. Washed them all though with screen wash, dried them out over night and refitted. Small thing but much happier it's done and looks better too :0)
Well done mate..Sometimes its the smallest things that bring the biggest pleasure..."That's what my girlfriend keeps assuring me anyhow".

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

changed my aerial to a short stubby one off ebay. Only about 3, fits and works well
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I have a short stubby one too .

Mine came from that B&M shop
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artermis View Post
Done the steering wheel surround this morning too. This pic is straight out of the tank and still drying. It is currently sat on my kitchen side with it's second coat of clear drying on it.
how are you doing these... would love a few exterior items done... what sort of cost is involved please
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 SW

Mot!
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Layed under the wife's 159 and repaired a very stupid rubber pipe to the dpf.
AO Member

County: Glasgow / East Ayrshire
Today, I fitted new M-Tec discs, EBC brake pads, Alfa centre caps on the alloys and a blue silicon lower intercooler pipe from Autolusso.

Piccys here:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...ml#post9483401
(Post Link) post #20 of 2927 Old 01-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Blackline View Post
Today, I fitted new M-Tec discs, EBC brake pads, Alfa centre caps on the alloys and a blue silicon lower intercooler pipe from Autolusso.

Piccys here:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...ml#post9483401
Hmm...nice..

Did the boost pipe need cutting or was it an easy fit? Waiting for my wheels to be refurbished before fitting my new centre caps..Amazing the difference a nice un corroded set make?

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Fingers crossed this time Fred. Just thinks its nice to share what we do to our pride and joy's.

Well had a visit from Dent wizard and had a few body gremlins removed.. She is absolutely spotless again.. He even noticed a small dent on the bonnet and removed it.

Also had a call from Gazella racing about my alu strutbrace which should be with me shortly. Nice chap also spoke about suspension setups.

And last but not least went to Platinum alloy wheel solutions to discuss the refurbishment of my clover 18's. They did an amazing job on the wheels of my last show car. Have decided on shade and colour now and will be adding a little subtle personal touch.

Damien.
Lets hope so as it was an idea floating around in my mind for a while. So good to see its come to fruition with someone else.

There have been a lot of complaints about Gazella about people not getting there goods and being ripped off. Are you ok with them ?
(Post Link) post #22 of 2927 Old 02-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Lets hope so as it was an idea floating around in my mind for a while. So good to see its come to fruition with someone else.

There have been a lot of complaints about Gazella about people not getting there goods and being ripped off. Are you ok with them ?
I didn't know this about Gazella Fred? Every time i have spoken to them, they seem decent enough. I am confident my order will pull through. Will keep you posted.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
I didn't know this about Gazella Fred? Every time i have spoken to them, they seem decent enough. I am confident my order will pull through. Will keep you posted.

Damien.
Just be careful then. Have you paid them money yet ? There have been numerous warnings on all Alfa and Fiat websites around the world to stay away.

Have a look at this thread as one example :

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...racing-11.html (Urgent: Gazzella racing...)

Last edited by Freds GTV 2001; 02-07-14 at 03:38.
AO Silver Member

I clear coated that steering wheel surround later yesterday and gave the 147 a service. It didn't come with any history at all, so I have no idea if it ever was serviced or when that was, so it was in need of it. Feels beautiful and smooth now it's been done too. All eight plugs, air filter, oil filter and oil done. Next job, belts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiboy wales View Post
how are you doing these... would love a few exterior items done... what sort of cost is involved please
It is done by a process know as Hydrographics. It is a fairly easy process to do - but a much, much harder process to get right. It is often referred to as hydro-dipping or dipping a part.

Essentially what happens is you pick a hydrographics film that has a pattern on which you wish to apply to an object. In my case the film was a carbon fibre pattern. The film is black and clear - as you can see on my hand below - so the base colour changes what colour carbon fibre you have. The sky is the limit for that, it all depends what colour coat paint you pick. I've used a graphite grey (Ford colour actually) to give a realistic look.

Then what happens you float the film on top of a tank of water (you need to lick your fingers and pinch a corner of the film, the sticky side goes face down in the water, as this is the side you need to hydrate). This hydrates the film. The water temp has to be very precise though, around 33 degrees depending upon the film.

After you let the film soak on the water for about a minute you spray it with an activator spray which activates the pva glue in the film - if you over activate a film it will ruin it, if you under activate a film it won't work - so takes some practice.

Then after about 30 seconds of having activated the film the water surface will look like glass with the film floating on top of it, so you very slowly push your chosen object down through the surface of the water and the pattern film sticks to your object.

You swirl the piece around in the water and remove any excess film then go and rinse the part under warm water to remove all the glue - you can feel it all slimy on the part and it goes smooth and dry as it washes away.

Then once dry you can clear coat it.

Take a look at youtube - there is loads of vids on it and if you are wanting some bits done I have a mate of mine that does it pro if you want I can refer you to him.

Previous Alfas:
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Current Alfas:
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso

Last edited by Artermis; 08-06-15 at 05:45.
(Post Link) post #25 of 2927 Old 02-07-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Just be careful then. Have you paid them money yet ? There have been numerous warnings on all Alfa and Fiat websites around the world to stay away.

Have a look at this thread as one example :

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...racing-11.html (Urgent: Gazzella racing...)
Now i am very concerned.. Goods are paid for, awaiting delivery.

Damien.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today