What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 99 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Big weekend changing all the struts and springs on the GT. Swapped out the original set up for Koni Str.t dampers with H&R coils. The kit cost just under £400 but that does not take account for all the other bits and bobs like new mounts, rubbers, gators and so on add another £100 or so. Luckily I dodged the garage bill bullet because a friend of mine with a wealth of skill and experience pretty well did most of the job for me and the other friend provided the facilities, a farm workshop to work in.

The job itself, no matter what any slick YouTube video shows is never easy....The main issues we had was removing seized nuts and bolts but very handy to have oxyacetylene on hand (not the sort of thing I keep in my kitchen) and the dread spring compressing necessary at the front end.

Now its all fitted, fine and dandy. The GT definitely feels "sportier" but not overly harsh. From a vanity point of view, yeah it looks good lower down. Would I (or my mate) do it again, mmmmm.....I don't know. It was certainly hard work and I saved a lot of money but I lost a weekend, even though we did enjoy the experience in masochistic way. Personally my general driving style probably doesn't fully justify sportier lower set up but it looks good and it does make the GT more of a proper GT. The original set up even though some may criticizse for not being GT enough is probably adequate for the average driver and very comfortable. Do I regret it? No I am glad it has been done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160514_141312.jpg (58.6 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
Painted my calipers today, as you can see they were in a right state!

Much better now
I'm being 'really' picky here...but the Alfa script sticker is the wrong way around.
The finish looks great though. I did mine years ago and often think of redoing them as the paint isn't quite a deep enough shade of red to be 100% true to the factory finish.
bobulon likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
I'm being 'really' picky here...but the Alfa script sticker is the wrong way around.
ouch
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
The finish looks great though. I did mine years ago and often think of redoing them as the paint isn't quite a deep enough shade of red to be 100% true to the factory finish.
DOH!

AO Member

County: Halland
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroBeanz View Post
Big weekend changing all the struts and springs on the GT. Swapped out the original set up for Koni Str.t dampers with H&R coils. The kit cost just under £400 but that does not take account for all the other bits and bobs like new mounts, rubbers, gators and so on add another £100 or so. Luckily I dodged the garage bill bullet because a friend of mine with a wealth of skill and experience pretty well did most of the job for me and the other friend provided the facilities, a farm workshop to work in.

The job itself, no matter what any slick YouTube video shows is never easy....The main issues we had was removing seized nuts and bolts but very handy to have oxyacetylene on hand (not the sort of thing I keep in my kitchen) and the dread spring compressing necessary at the front end.

Now its all fitted, fine and dandy. The GT definitely feels "sportier" but not overly harsh. From a vanity point of view, yeah it looks good lower down. Would I (or my mate) do it again, mmmmm.....I don't know. It was certainly hard work and I saved a lot of money but I lost a weekend, even though we did enjoy the experience in masochistic way. Personally my general driving style probably doesn't fully justify sportier lower set up but it looks good and it does make the GT more of a proper GT. The original set up even though some may criticizse for not being GT enough is probably adequate for the average driver and very comfortable. Do I regret it? No I am glad it has been done!
I know the pain, I recently installed my first ever coilover suspension and know how time consuming it is. Atleast you had some usefull friends, my friend that "helped" me only providided me with his uselessness, he forgot to remove a wrench from the rear suspension and couldnt even bolt on the wheels properly which resultet in me almost loosing a wheel on the motorway, also when I changed the rear tyres I found that wrench still hanging on underneath.. :O

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
AussieAlex and bobulon like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Changed the power steering rack after it blew out and covered my wheel and brakes in cack.
Mother f@#$ing subframe. Hate it.
Rack changed. Gta arb installed while I was there, new lower arms too as I'm properly hacked off with squeakyness of poly bushes.
Decat too.
Fixed my 3 year old reverse selection problems, was the bloody sound deadening caught up on the subframe as it went back in, causy the Bob weight to hit it.
Happy. Spent the day cleaning Nero to make it feel better only to hear the upper wishbone creaking. So I greased them too. As I'd installed grease nipples it was easy enough.
Rear subframe next....
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

And now somethings clonking from the front.
Best be simple or I'm burning it.

EDIT:

safe from burning, the nearside anti roll bar droplink hadnt tightened up properly. All better. Even put the under tray back on with teflon grease and stainless bolts.
Madrocker and bobulon like this.

Last edited by Egon; 18-05-16 at 09:50.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzabara View Post
my friend that "helped" me only provided me with his uselessness, he forgot to remove a wrench from the rear suspension and couldn't even bolt on the wheels properly which resulted in me almost loosing a wheel on the motorway, also when I changed the rear tyres I found that wrench still hanging on underneath.. :O
Bazzabara likes this.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Just got in touch with a mate of mine in Australia who is coming over in the late summer. Starting to scope out dates and prices for a weeks camping by Geirangerfjorden in Norway. Going to drive the troll's road (Trollstigen) whilst we're there along with enjoying copious amounts of beer in one of the most amazing places on earth.

So now I am starting to think about the maintenance items my bella will need before the long trip. Looking like I will probably do the timing belt, general service and a brake fluid flush before making the trek!
Bazzabara likes this.

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
AO Member

County: Halland
Garage
The beginnings of a giulia style spoiler for the gt... http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...988d188e67.jpg

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
AussieAlex and bobulon like this.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Just sold that little 147, my first Alfa! So quite sad to see it go but I hope the new owner will become a big Alfa fan too. Look out for the blue one around Newquay and give him a wave.
(Post Link) post #2462 of 2909 Old 19-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Needed a solution for my slightly corroded bumper screws. Which were playing on my ocd'ness. So while en France, i found these lovely stainless dome screw on caps, that not only protect the screws from the elements but look super sexy too. All in the details.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36947d95-06de-4ac7-aba8-5f2dc782ff8b_zpsi2sxyujs.jpg (127.0 KB, 45 views)
AussieAlex likes this.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Needed a solution for my slightly corroded bumper screws. Which were playing on my ocd'ness. So while en France, i found these lovely stainless dome screw on caps, that not only protect the screws from the elements but look super sexy too. All in the details.

Damien.
Where did you get your cloverleaf wheel centre caps from dude? They are cool.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighouseAlfa View Post
Where did you get your cloverleaf wheel centre caps from dude? They are cool.
+1 and also does the french shop you got those caps from sell online
AO Member

County: -
Saw your GT at Autolusso today Damien. I haven't stopped drooling yet...

Made the drive home in mine an odd mix of excitement at what I could do and depression at the lack of funds
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Popped in to see Loz at Autolusso B'mth for help with removing number plate light housing - without using excessive force I just couldn't shift the damn thing to change bulb. So pleased to see Loz struggling with it - took a while for him to remove! Cheers Loz.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Cleaned the MAP sensor. It was caked in crud but cleaning it hasn't made any appreciable difference in performance. I guess the inlet manifold needs a good scrub but the TB isn't due for a good long while.
(Post Link) post #2468 of 2909 Old 21-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So after much deliberation and all the experience with my trials with other units i had an Autolusso fixed smf GTA clutch kit fitted yesterday. As you can imagine 3rd clutch in the space of a year i was apprehensive of the results. Well folks i need not have worried. When i took her for a drive i was over the moon. Oem pedal modulation and take up, no extra noise from the car at idle with the smf. The clutch pulls like a freight train. And the added bonus, i was aware of but not sure i would actually feel in the way the car drove. The way the car revs much freer with the much lighter smf, mid to high rev progression and acceleration seems faster than before. I could not have been happier on the drive home last night.

Final piece of my modding jigsaw in place, i have a dependable solid performing GT. I have to say Autolusso have been brilliant, always willing to discuss my modification ideas with excellent knowledge and guidance from Ned. One thing i respect about Autolusso is they get to know their customers, and understand what they want to achieve ultimately with their projects. From my point of view, it makes it such an enjoyable process to develop your machine, and hit and achieve the level you are after with your project.

So after 2 years of outlay, trials and tribulations finally i am at a great place with my GT. I won't kid you it has been testing at times. But now i am here, and how the car performs in every area, i can say it was all worth it. It was my dream with this car to create a great all round balanced machine. And i feel i have achieved this. All the big jobs having been done now. Sure i have lots more little jobs i want to do to her, buts its nice to know the major upgrades have now been addressed.

I still have to get her dyno'd and her map adjusted properly soon, what with the wmi and full stainless exhaust system having been fitted. I also had uprated motul brake fluid yesterday as i will be doing some track days this summer.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d5789c9a-dd39-425e-8e8f-6cd7560489ca_zpsilxgn4pb.jpg (171.4 KB, 19 views)

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

03 156 V6 SW

Unboxed the Meguiars and got to work...

After a hard long day my facelift 156 v6 got a deep cleanse wash, rubbed with the clear coat safe rubbing compound, polished with the crystal polish and cleaner wax to finish it off...

Mothers metal polish made sure the tail piece is looking tip top as well as the door handles...

Now... time for beer
ARnovice likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
So after much deliberation and all the experience with my trials with other units i had an Autolusso fixed smf GTA clutch kit fitted yesterday. As you can imagine 3rd clutch in the space of a year i was apprehensive of the results. Well folks i need not have worried. When i took her for a drive i was over the moon. Oem pedal modulation and take up, no extra noise from the car at idle with the smf. The clutch pulls like a freight train. And the added bonus, i was aware of but not sure i would actually feel in the way the car drove. The way the car revs much freer with the much lighter smf, mid to high rev progression and acceleration seems faster than before. I could not have been happier on the drive home last night.

Final piece of my modding jigsaw in place, i have a dependable solid performing GT. I have to say Autolusso have been brilliant, always willing to discuss my modification ideas with excellent knowledge and guidance from Ned. One thing i respect about Autolusso is they get to know their customers, and understand what they want to achieve ultimately with their projects. From my point of view, it makes it such an enjoyable process to develop your machine, and hit and achieve the level you are after with your project.

So after 2 years of outlay, trials and tribulations finally i am at a great place with my GT. I won't kid you it has been testing at times. But now i am here, and how the car performs in every area, i can say it was all worth it. It was my dream with this car to create a great all round balanced machine. And i feel i have achieved this. All the big jobs having been done now. Sure i have lots more little jobs i want to do to her, buts its nice to know the major upgrades have now been addressed.

I still have to get her dyno'd and her map adjusted properly soon, what with the wmi and full stainless exhaust system having been fitted. I also had uprated motul brake fluid yesterday as i will be doing some track days this summer.

Damien.
Nice.

Now, how long until you get bored and start contemplating dilithium crystals and antimatter?
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #2471 of 2909 Old 21-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Nice.

Now, how long until you get bored and start contemplating dilithium crystals and antimatter?
Always something to do Paddy, and my mind never stops coming up with new ideas. But the big ££££ jobs are done. Time to kick back and properly enjoy the car now, great feeling. Now just need to find some Mito SBK sabelt seats and get the rear seat delete interior completed...

Damien.
(Post Link) post #2472 of 2909 Old 22-05-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Busy day under the batmobile. Oil change with Millers finest Nanodrive. Some more rustproofing and protecting. The old oil filter had a dodgy seal and had wept a bit. Also properly cleaned the alu under tray with metal polish and used some adhesive sponge where the oil cooler pipes were rubbing on the top of the tray and FMIC piping. So no more metal to metal rubbing now. So this week she has had Millers Nanodrive gearbox oil, Motul RBF 600 uprated brake fluid and now a sump full of Nanodrive engine oil. This is one very spoilt GT.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ec31abae-c6e9-4697-9fde-ba38a1e02c8c_zpsweequtqe.jpg (89.2 KB, 26 views)
AussieAlex likes this.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Fitted a cat back Longlife exhaust as mine was blowing badly from the mid silencer.
Sounds really good, only been fitted to the previous car for 2000miles.
The guy took it back aswell to have a new back box made as he wasn't happy with it straying too far from the original sound.
Looking forward to driving to work tomorrow with the stereo off for a proper listen.
AO Member

Mot'd car today and advertised it for sale it's a shame but it has to go need a 4 door car instead
AO Member

Day at Alfa Workshop after an emergency trip to Autolusso on Friday to get my faulty window switched.

Fully serviced, front wishbones replaced, gearbox bushes reamed and thermostat fixed. Bloody expensive trip but that's the major mechanicals finally fixed.

Now onto cosmetic fixes exterior and interior...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today