What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 95 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulon View Post
there must be loads of mountains in Sweden
Sure are!

Sadly they're mostly in the northern and western regions (4-5hrs away) and the other half decided she wants to visit a friend in a city about 2hrs drive on the highway from us. So I will need to try and sneak in some sort of detour along the way to find something enjoyable to drive. Thankfully my missus used to love going for drives in the Adelaide hills when I was still living back home so I think she'd be ok with an hour or 2 longer trip

But in a couple months a couple mates of mine are coming over from Adelaide and we're planning to drive up to Trollstigen in Norway (also known as Heaven)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trollstigen2.jpg (221.4 KB, 19 views)
edraven71, baxter2308 and bobulon like this.

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Drove over a kerb, split my 3 week old Goodyear right at the bead/rim.. Can't repair it.

Wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't whilst I was parking up at the Dentists... Which was also not great news...

Mix all that up with the sh*ty rain we've got this morning, and it makes for one wet miserable man!

Fillings, flats, and fu*king rain

Happy Friday all
AussieAlex likes this.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 22-04-16 at 10:26.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Drove over a kerb, split my 3 week old Goodyear right at the bead/rim.. Can't repair it.

Wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't whilst I was parking up at the Dentists... Which was also not great news...

Mix all that up with the sh*ty rain we've got this morning, and it makes for one miserable man!

Fillings, flats, and fu*king rain

Happy Friday all

It could be worse, you could be looking at a complete engine rebuild like me
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
It could be worse, you could be looking at a complete engine rebuild like me
True true.

I was going to do a service this weekend, but judging by this morning's luck I reckon I'd end up stripping the oil pan threads and snapping the glow plugs in their sockets...

Best left well alone for now I think..
Firstcaralfa likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
ok, I can see It's time for some good news!

sorry about your tyre Ed..and firstcaralfa hope the re-build goes well and doesn't require terminal open wallet surgery.

as promised fun stuff.

hated the look of the stock calipers through the newly furbed wheels so decided to paint them. Decals and caliper paint courtesy of Ebay and yesterday was nice so, I did the rears too but no decals, no point...also fitted 3mm spacers all round and the short shift kit, this morning was a good clean wax and polish.

pics don't do the calipers justice they look fantastic actually and really lift the car. the M-tech kit is AMAZING! don't know how I ever lived without it.

fitted a new cupra splitter as the last one is still clattering down the M4 somewhere ,this time I used screws with captive washers and little nuts, it's on solid but i have used a size that will ''let go'' if really hit rather than take the bumper with it...

so ejecto splitter MK2

p.s RXE I rescued the end weight from the gearbox and will be sending it over in the next few as arranged..

PPS I also fitted LED lights ,2 x H7 main and dipped ,the H^w side light and today the H1 fogs, look s much better IMO, after some driving last night must admit the throw is shorter but they are brighter...so as ith everything pluses and minuses, no errors have come up so all good and they will draw less power so a win ,win,compromise!

and we got finally got the fiat coupe engine in my mates car as well..engine mounts done up,inlet and exhaust mani on and drive shafts connected up,sensors connected and radiator and airbox ent on late -ish yesterday. i was helping him out between coats of paint! with any luck key on early week and the engine we dropped in only has 30k on it ...happy days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160421_140240.jpg (216.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20160422_114301.jpg (157.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20160422_114426.jpg (246.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20160422_114324.jpg (258.7 KB, 43 views)

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.

Last edited by joeymannero; 22-04-16 at 12:44.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
ok, I can see It's time for some good news!

sorry about your tyre Ed..and firstcaralfa hope the re-build goes well and doesn't require terminal open wallet surgery.

as promised fun stuff.

hated the look of the stock calipers through the newly furbed wheels so decided to paint them. Decals and caliper paint courtesy of Ebay and yesterday was nice so, I did the rears too but no decals, no point...also fitted 3mm spacers all round and the short shift kit, this morning was a good clean wax and polish.

pics don't do the calipers justice they look fantastic actually and really lift the car. the M-tech kit is AMAZING! don't know how I ever lived without it.

fitted a new cupra splitter as the last one is still clattering down the M4 somewhere ,this time I used screws with captive washers and little nuts, it's on solid but i have used a size that will ''let go'' if really hit rather than take the bumper with it...

so ejecto splitter MK2

p.s RXE I rescued the end weight from the gearbox and will be sending it over in the next few as arranged..

PPS I also fitted LED lights ,2 x H7 main and dipped ,the H^w side light and today the H1 fogs, look s much better IMO, after some driving last night must admit the throw is shorter but they are brighter...so as ith everything pluses and minuses, no errors have come up so all good and they will draw less power so a win ,win,compromise!

and we got finally got the fiat coupe engine in my mates car as well..engine mounts done up,inlet and exhaust mani on and drive shafts connected up,sensors connected and radiator and airbox ent on late -ish yesterday. i was helping him out between coats of paint! with any luck key on early week and the engine we dropped in only has 30k on it ...happy days!

I want to DIY my calipers, what paint did you use?
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Calipers looks fantastic in black Joe!

Car looks very sharp
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I want to DIY my calipers, what paint did you use?

e-tech caliper paint , ..I elected to paint black as i think a non performance caliper in a lairy colour (red /yellow) just highlights the fact they are not Brembo, the black is tidy and understated and just adds a touch of class.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALI...070d06aa364a91

5 posted I think..cheap anyways and seems a quality product. in the end i elected to brush on rather than spray as the masking would have been a major faff, removed the brake pad retaining clip but not the pads..took literally 15 mins a caliper, 3x coats 5 mins each time with 25 mins in between...you will have to touch up after putting the retaining clip back as the paint will still be soft and will scratch easy.

but overall really easy if a bit time consuming job and well worth it for the result...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
e-tech caliper paint , ..I elected to paint black as i think a non performance caliper in a lairy colour (red /yellow) just highlights the fact they are not Brembo, the black is tidy and understated and just adds a touch of class.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALI...070d06aa364a91

5 posted I think..cheap anyways and seems a quality product. in the end i elected to brush on rather than spray as the masking would have been a major faff, removed the brake pad retaining clip but not the pads..took literally 15 mins a caliper, 3x coats 5 mins each time with 25 mins in between...you will have to touch up after putting the retaining clip back as the paint will still be soft and will scratch easy.

but overall really easy if a bit time consuming job and well worth it for the result...
Well that's going on the list for the next brake job

Discs, pads, braided hoses, fluid bleed, 5 paint job!
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Cracking! Will get the red when I have the car back from Ned.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
course...you have the Brembo's you lucky so and so..!

here you go..just to finish them off nicely..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-86mm-AL...8AAOxysE5SbXAG
Firstcaralfa likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

After a whole weekend and three evenings, finally got my Bilstein B14s and the 330mm front brake upgrade sorted. The brakes were a giant PITA after I accidentally sucked air through the whole system and created an air pocket in the master cylinder

Here she is with her new low stance and snazzy calipers (apologies for the crap photo as my camera is pants)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160421_164525.jpg (173.7 KB, 15 views)
AO Silver Member

New tyre all done, car's back in top form

Checked the pressure in my space saver spare before I put it away.. 18 PSI...should have been 60 PSI... Check your spares everyone!

Track rods were seized up solid, a mere 3 weeks after the last tracking job! But they charged a tenner to get the propane torch on them, free'd them up, and got the tracking back in... Whacking the kerb knocked it out a few degrees, but nothing was bent at least..

Had a nice long chat about tyre choices for my size, which Nexen N8000 came out as a top recommendation... Which at a touch over half the price of the Goodyears, is high up on my list of next rubbers to try!

Also gave me a brilliant price on some tyres for the GF's Hyundai i10!

Don't ya just love those little independent shops? Sure their prices are higher than Blackcircles, but it's worth it for the service!

So note to self- try and avoid kerb stones in the future...
joeymannero likes this.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Steering on my GT has been getting heavy. Ordered 5L of correct spec power steering fluid from eurocarparts for 16. Its not been changed in 10 years!

The GT capacity is 1.2L so i sucked the existing fluid out of the reservoir with my electric pump. Got about 0.5L out. Topped it up with new stuff, went for a drive and did the same again. I'll do it a few more times at the weekend. Seems better already.

No idea how you would drain it via the pipes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulon View Post
After a whole weekend and three evenings, finally got my Bilstein B14s and the 330mm front brake upgrade sorted. The brakes were a giant PITA after I accidentally sucked air through the whole system and created an air pocket in the master cylinder

Here she is with her new low stance and snazzy calipers (apologies for the crap photo as my camera is pants)
Very smart, good work.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Hope to get some photos of the day up during the week....
Finally had a chance to get my photos from Spring Alfa Day sorted this evening - have a look via the link below:

https://goo.gl/photos/s575n7EArc6WaNbe8

Cheers

Chris
Eric Metz, edraven71 and bobulon like this.

Last edited by Chris M; 23-04-16 at 07:08.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
Finally had a chance to get my photos from Spring Alfa Day sorted this evening - have a look via the link below:

https://goo.gl/photos/3RAfXLGxiYNeGs5B8

Cheers

Chris
Great pics, looks like it was a cracking day, cheers for sharing
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
If you have Brembo's, show them off a bit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1153.jpg (104.3 KB, 18 views)
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post

Flashy
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post

really like the discs..

I asume they are the coated M-tech Jobbies? been looking at those for my Blackie. In black of course!
AO Silver Member

Broke out the DAS6-Pro today!

Washed and dried the whole lot, then clayed the front wings and the bonnet...

2 stage polish (megs 205/105), IPA wipe down to remove any left over polish, then a coat of Fusso Soft99, tidy up the wheels whilst that's curing, buff off, second coat of Fusso is curing nicely now.. Time for a cuppa, then a rest!

Possibly a third coat of Fusso tomorrow after it's had a chance to polymerize over night, then some AG HD wax next weekend for that sexy sexy deep wet shine!
AussieAlex likes this.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 23-04-16 at 16:35.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Fitted autolusso top hose in blue. Thanks Joe for sending me the hose. The lower jubilee clip was a real shiz to get off as the bolt was facing down and there was no space to access it. Hands ripped to shreds but 15 mins later and it was on. There was no hole in the original as suspected, but I did it for the look.
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Finally got round to tackling the clutch change on the mrs 147 jtd.
Well, the clutch change was pretty straightforward, but I spent the whole afternoon trying to get the box to line up, without success.
Knackered and frustrated...
Any pointers? Got the box up on top of the subframe, but can't seem to get the engine and box in a position where they will mate.
There seems to be even less space than when I did it on my 147...
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post

Cheers

Chris
wow epic! So many different models, looks like it was a great day
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by imski View Post
Finally got round to tackling the clutch change on the mrs 147 jtd.
Well, the clutch change was pretty straightforward, but I spent the whole afternoon trying to get the box to line up, without success.
Knackered and frustrated...
Any pointers? Got the box up on top of the subframe, but can't seem to get the engine and box in a position where they will mate.
There seems to be even less space than when I did it on my 147...
More time spent, more frustrated. Either subframe limiting me or getting caught with power steering on the firewall side.
Drop the subframe time I fear...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today