What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 93 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzabara View Post
Im about to get my wheels refubished, just havent decided on the color yet.. Its either going to be anthracite or gold, I do think the anthracite color fits the car better but I also like the clasic look of a red alfa and gold wheels, couldnt find anyone else on here with a red gt and gold wheels so i decided to photshop some.. What do you guys think? Anthracite or gold, leaning more towards the first color option.. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...9b5918b814.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...e43f9b6ab2.jpg

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
I like both, the gold does shout Impreza a bit but does suit the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko1960 View Post
Could the BCM be the reason for my reverse parking sensors to go on the fritz? When I select reverse I just get a high pitched whistle for about ten seconds and no proximity warning, just a loud bang when I hit the car behind!

I had this issue too Marko,

if you check all the sensor connections behind the bumper and give them a clean, they are tricky to get too, pubsinger did an excellent write up on how to get to them which I followed, mine are now cleaned and working..I also aplied some gasket around them and reglued any that were not completely sealed.

hope it works for yours
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
what year was the car? it's not unheard of for a BCM to fail but its unlucky, glad you got it sorted, i assume by ''rest of the ecu set'' you mean a proxy alignment after fitting the new BCM..?

either way really glad you resolved it as these things can be a real PITA to find and resolve and often costly as well..

it must be very nice to have all the mod cons back
The car is a 54 plate JTS - I didn't really know it WAS the BCM until I changed it and all the faults went away.

No its a little bit more than that. The BCM is coded to the engine management ECU and the ignition key/switch. So you have to change them all for a matched set from an identical donor vehicle (or get a BCM coded to your vehicle from the factory B-I-I-I-GGG bucks). Otherwise you just get "Immobilisation Failure" warnings and no start.

I was shocked not to need to do the "proxi" at the end of the changeover - the odometer had been flashing and the diagnostics port was dead all the time it was faulty.

I was really lucky with the kit - a breaker local to me put it on ebay at exactly the right time at a bargain price (it was the only Alfa GT he'd ever had in his yard).

Yeah I spend all my time now listening to music with the heater on full and the windows wide open - I only ever stop to put more stuff in the boot.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzabara View Post
Im about to get my wheels refubished, just havent decided on the color yet.. Its either going to be anthracite or gold, I do think the anthracite color fits the car better but I also like the clasic look of a red alfa and gold wheels
everyone has anthracite wheels now, incl. me, so go for Gold!! Looks wicked on a red car
AO Member

County: Durham
Thanks Joey, I'll give it a try this weekend
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulon View Post
everyone has anthracite wheels now, incl. me, so go for Gold!! Looks wicked on a red car
well on that premise go pink...! No one will have that colour!

I jest..

at the end of the day it comes down to taste but also be aware as I am finding out that if you do the wheels and are like me a bit OCD about how the car looks then you may find yourself spraying other bits of trim to create a theme...gold may create a bit of a problem in this respect depending on the shade you go..

if you look at my wheels in isolation they look gorgeous and have lifted the car and given it a classier look ,however now the brushed Ali look grille ,door mirrors and handles look ''off'' and the calipers now really need a paint and i have also ordered new wheel bolts!

so what was meant to be a simple wheel refurb has now become a complete brightwork re-spray job a caliper painting job and new wheel bolts!

it's all good though as I enjoy this stuff and am looking forward to doing it, I just got a set of handles from a breakers yard for £50 which is a bargain, will respray those anthracite and fit them to the car with new hinges.

then when I do the brake calipers I will mask up round the door mirrors and front grill and do it all in one day and the car will look better for it. have just also ordered 100w error free white Led lights for the main,dipped and sidelights,so 4 H7's and 2 H6w's

just be careful is all i am saying or the job may become a bit bigger than you expected!

its the details that make all the difference when upgrading things.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
well on that premise go pink...! No one will have that colour!

I jest..

at the end of the day it comes down to taste but also be aware as I am finding out that if you do the wheels and are like me a bit OCD about how the car looks then you may find yourself spraying other bits of trim to create a theme...gold may create a bit of a problem in this respect depending on the shade you go..

if you look at my wheels in isolation they look gorgeous and have lifted the car and given it a classier look ,however now the brushed Ali look grille ,door mirrors and handles look ''off'' and the calipers now really need a paint and i have also ordered new wheel bolts!

so what was meant to be a simple wheel refurb has now become a complete brightwork re-spray job a caliper painting job and new wheel bolts!

it's all good though as I enjoy this stuff and am looking forward to doing it, I just got a set of handles from a breakers yard for £50 which is a bargain, will respray those anthracite and fit them to the car with new hinges.

then when I do the brake calipers I will mask up round the door mirrors and front grill and do it all in one day and the car will look better for it. have just also ordered 100w error free white Led lights for the main,dipped and sidelights,so 4 H7's and 2 H6w's

just be careful is all i am saying or the job may become a bit bigger than you expected!
More reasons to go Gold!! I doubt it will tempt him to paint his mirrors and grille gold to match, unless he's the son of a saudi prince, so less work in the long run
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
have just also ordered 100w error free white Led lights for the main,dipped and sidelights,so 4 H7's and 2 H6w's

Not seen dipped leds on a GT. When i upgraded my dipped to a hid kit, leds were not available to buy.

Just plug them in i assume? Interested to see a pic of them in the dark.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
Not seen dipped leds on a GT. When i upgraded my dipped to a hid kit, leds were not available to buy.

Just plug them in i assume? Interested to see a pic of them in the dark.
Been told LEDs are not good for the normal (i guess you call them dipped) lights unless they are in a purpose built unit, like the HIDs in a projector
AO Member

County: Dorset
Got my 3.2 GT back from Autolusso Bournemouth today, top end rebuild + cat less wizard manifolds + clutch + quaife + lots more. Result = ****ing amazing. Manifolds are loud when you Rev it but not too intrusive when just idling. Will post a thread when I have some pics.
ALFADOIT and bobulon like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
We demand video!

Glad you're happy with it
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Crappy little job I've been putting off: dealing with a seized bolt in a spinning rivnut and a broken bolt in the other - the rear attachment points for the 147's undertray. Which the previous owner had trashed getting it off. Thanks to Mr Dremel now removed and new rivnuts fitted and a new polski pattern under tray now hangs off Copaslipped stainless bolts. So no more dangling off cable ties and scraping on speed humps at last. My OCD is satisfied for today.
AO Member

County: Hauts de Seine

Member car:

ALFA 156 BENZINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulon View Post
You are a funny guy my friend

http://i86.servimg.com/u/f86/18/39/50/21/temp_110.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp 1 005.jpg (121.8 KB, 14 views)
edraven71 and bobulon like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
I like both, the gold does shout Impreza a bit but does suit the car
Yeah I would go for a light gold.
(Post Link) post #2315 of 2909 Old 14-04-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Few pics of my new little GT additions. Big thanks to Joe for the mint rare GT signature mats. And for the coffee and chat. Popped them in the washing machine and gave them a good hoover look brand spanking. Also polished the metal GT script. Also pic of my new M-tec anodised grooved rear brake discs, look lovely behind my alloys.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7603becf-83c7-433e-a3ce-4f558c17f6d7_zpsszadh3rm (1).jpg (66.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg f756f634-9ac7-4752-ad37-089819b43c46_zpsgvehymur.jpg (73.8 KB, 26 views)
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Few pics of my new little GT additions. Big thanks to Joe for the mint rare GT signature mats. And for the coffee and chat. Popped them in the washing machine and gave them a good hoover look brand spanking. Also polished the metal GT script. Also pic of my new M-tec anodised grooved rear brake discs, look lovely behind my alloys.

Damien.
Very nice! Your drivers seat looks mint, do you steer from the back seat and use the pedals with a stick or something?
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Damien.
yeah, good speaks mate..

your clover is looking great..once those final tweaks we talked about have been done you will have your perfect GT !

I will take delivery of my new splitter tuesday, as you know the old one is on the M4 somewhere! I think it was taken out by a bit jetsam off the back of a lorry and i am glad I elected to attach it with pop rivets as it will let go without taking any of the bumper with it..that said I have to weigh up the cost of one replacement bumper against two cupra splitters..I may go a bit heavier on the attachment this time.

got my error free 100w H7 and H6W Led's in the post yesterday as well as my Plastic primer so next week is looking like it's going to be a good one!

to do

1) attach new front splitter

2) spray mirrors, grill and new door handles anthracite

3) paint brake calipers black and apply AR decals

4) fit chrome wheel bolt covers

5) fit my new white LED's

6) stand back and admire for a while.

7) take many photo's and post on forum...

oh I forgot, fit new top hat bushes and m-tech short shifter..
AussieAlex and bobulon like this.

Last edited by joeymannero; 15-04-16 at 09:01.
(Post Link) post #2318 of 2909 Old 15-04-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
yeah, good speaks mate..

your clover is looking great..once those final tweaks we talked about have been done you will have your perfect GT !

I will take delivery of my new splitter tuesday, as you know the old one is on the M4 somewhere! I think it was taken out by a bit jetsam off the back of a lorry and i am glad I elected to attach it with pop rivets as it will let go without taking any of the bumper with it..that said I have to weigh up the cost of one replacement bumper against two cupra splitters..I may go a bit heavier on the attachment this time.

got my error free 100w H7 and H6W Led's in the post yesterday as well as my Plastic primer so next week is looking like it's going to be a good one!

to do

1) attach new front splitter

2) spray mirrors, grill and new door handles anthracite

3) paint brake calipers black and apply AR decals

4) fit chrome wheel bolt covers

5) fit my new white LED's

6) stand back and admire for a while.

7) take many photo's and post on forum...

oh I forgot, fit new top hat bushes and m-tech short shifter..
"EJECTO SPLITTER CUZ"..

Looking forward to the pics Joe. Now get that dirty engine bay detailed.

Damien.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
"EJECTO SPLITTER CUZ"..

Looking forward to the pics Joe. Now get that dirty engine bay detailed.

Damien.
designed by myself that ejecto splitter, hours of R&D that took...either that or I used the wrong sized rivets ...blinkin cockwomble behavior that

I am keeping the engine bay dirty as a matter of pride.. and anyway I like the contradiction of an immaculate exterior with a filthy engine...reminds me of the wife!

just bought the 3mm spacers mate, all four wheels... and the long bolts...just now speaking to local bodyshops about spraying the new splitter body colour.

really going for it next week with the makeover... really looking forward to it!

oh and you are right about the light covers...it will look better without but it will need the lenses polished, I will take you up on that fettling day in the bat cave mate...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Had a dent repair guy out to remove a dent in the rear wheel arch and a number of other car park dinks. £125 for five panels and looks superb now. Well pleased.

Then got home and gave her a wash in preparation for Spring Alfa Day at Beaulieu on Sunday. More polishing planned for tomorrow morning!!
ChrissyD, joeymannero and bobulon like this.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
Had a dent repair guy out to remove a dent in the rear wheel arch and a number of other car park dinks. £125 for five panels and looks superb now. Well pleased.

Then got home and gave her a wash in preparation for Spring Alfa Day at Beaulieu on Sunday. More polishing planned for tomorrow morning!!
Well done! Washed, clayed, washed again and polished the GT ready for Beaulieu - then the heavens opened with torrential rain. Doh!!!!!!!
Chris
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Well done! Washed, clayed, washed again and polished the GT ready for Beaulieu - then the heavens opened with torrential rain. Doh!!!!!!!
Chris
I had hoped to clay mine but had to make do with a quick wash and aqua wax in the drizzle yesterday evening. Was hoping to give it a coat of EGP and do a few other bits this morning but its snowing!!!!

Looks to be nice and sunny tomorrow thank goodness.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Seeing as how the GT is behaving itself a little better now (with the change of Body Computer) I've let it come down from the naughty step and treated it to some "Meguiars"clay and some "Bilt Hamber" "Auto-Balm". I'd never used the auto balm before but I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

It is a different technique to wax and it did take me slightly longer than I would have taken with the "Meguiars Deep Crystal" carnauba wax I used previously but I think worth the extra effort:

1, it's only one step - previously I've tried; glaze plus wax, glaze plus sealer, wax plus glaze - to hide some of the marring and produce a nice shine - this beats them all for me.
2, there's no white residue to clean out of the crevices and off the plastic trim - in fact the black trim bits look better for a coat of this (I was still finding bits of white in the corners 6 months after my last waxing).
3, it DOES fill minor scratches - I'm amazed how well it does this - much better than "Poorboys Black Hole Glaze" which I bought in the past to help with that issue (my car is; old, not garaged and black-apologies to Bob and Marcia who recorded the original I think).
4, the shine is remarkable - even better than I expected really - I have never noticed quite so much metal flake in the finish before.
5, it's not too expensive, the tiny tub I bought off ebay for about £8.00 has enough left in to do the same again maybe three more times - unlike the v.expensive "GTechniq SiloSeal" which did it twice and didn't look so good - being both retired and Yorkshire this matters!

So all-in-all I'm happy. I've saved time and I've saved money and got the result I was hoping for.
joeymannero and bobulon like this.
AO Silver Member

is this the gear?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilt-Hambe...EAAOSwzgRWxwum

I have recently used armorall and was very impressed with the finish, thought the same about the metallic flakes coming through nicely, i have the same issue as you the car is black, 9 years old and not garaged, she looks great all things considered and when clean and waxed could pass for months not years old, but I have been looking for something that lasts a bit longer than a week!

will give it a try I think...thanks for the heads up..

County: Cork
Garage
Pics or it didn't happen

Here if you want to enter the Detailing Competition http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...n-entries.html (April Detailing Competition Entries)
or maybe here if you don't http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...rs-thread.html

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today