What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 92 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Got around to fitting my retrimmed interior handle today, happy man, it fits great looks good and even feels nicer when you grab it.
Attachment 629938

Also finally got around to fitting my new Anthracite door handles, had them sitting waiting for a year now so thought I best get my bum into gear.Attachment 629946

absolutely love this! those grab handles are a real let down when they start peeling. this is an elegant and well executed solution.

what a fantastic job you have made of it ...

now to the anthracite handles, how did you do it, because I have decided to spay paint the front grille the same colour as my re-furbed wheels and then realised the door handles would stand out like a knob on a chicken..

I have just received my solvent based anthracite paint and was wondering if you painted them your self or did you just buy them like that...?

happy to go either route but I imagine the painting of the handles is the much cheaper way to go despite that taking them off fills me with dread after having to replace the drivers side once. it's a ''fiddlearsing job'' to quote my mucker Barry.

lovely job all round though, it's those little details that really elevate a car to the next level.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Durham
Booted the living crap out of my GT until every panel had a dent cos apparently its got the worst engine Alfa ever made
AO Member

County: -
You own a jts too lol.

Serviced mine today oil n filters.

Replaced sidelight bulb. And had to fit a new sump plug as I had to chisel old one off. Luckily I had already ordered a new one.

Found a possible leak from ps pipes . And I need to underseal my floor pan as it loks terrible
AO Member

County: -
Also the bleeding pollen filters are in a handy place lol took some finding and changing.
AO Member

Haha yeah, actually didnt even notice it was a bad engine until some expert told me!! I washed it yesterday and tomorrow I'll be ordering the master code so I can get the phone and sat nav working again
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
absolutely love this! those grab handles are a real let down when they start peeling. this is an elegant and well executed solution.

what a fantastic job you have made of it ...

now to the anthracite handles, how did you do it, because I have decided to spay paint the front grille the same colour as my re-furbed wheels and then realised the door handles would stand out like a knob on a chicken..

I have just received my solvent based anthracite paint and was wondering if you painted them your self or did you just buy them like that...?

happy to go either route but I imagine the painting of the handles is the much cheaper way to go despite that taking them off fills me with dread after having to replace the drivers side once. it's a ''fiddlearsing job'' to quote my mucker Barry.

lovely job all round though, it's those little details that really elevate a car to the next level.
That was exactly the reason I wanted to colour code the handles as my grill, mirrors roof and wheels are all anthracite, and the handles did stick out.

I painted them myself, attacking them with wet and dry to get that chrome finish keyed properly, then used an etch primer then onto the base and top coat.

I got some paint used on alloy wheels as it's very durable then topped off with a couple of coats of clear.

I was a bit worried about the durability but I did a test on a Fiat 500 handle I bought in error, and once it was all finished I carried it around in my tool bag for a couple of weeks and it came out looking nearly as good as new so i reckon if it survived that then it will be ok in the wifes clumsy mitts.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
That was exactly the reason I wanted to colour code the handles as my grill, mirrors roof and wheels are all anthracite, and the handles did stick out.

I painted them myself, attacking them with wet and dry to get that chrome finish keyed properly, then used an etch primer then onto the base and top coat.

I got some paint used on alloy wheels as it's very durable then topped off with a couple of coats of clear.

I was a bit worried about the durability but I did a test on a Fiat 500 handle I bought in error, and once it was all finished I carried it around in my tool bag for a couple of weeks and it came out looking nearly as good as new so i reckon if it survived that then it will be ok in the wifes clumsy mitts.

right..breakers yard handles it is then!

added to which when I get the current ones off I can refurb them in the same colour and have spares ready to go on as and when.

thanks
edraven71 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:

As new ones cost anywhere from $160 - $250 each I might have a crack at painting mine as well then Would still love to see how you did those handles edraven, am going to keep pestering you lol. How on earth did you get them off the door card, for example, aren't they molded on?
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
Just quick report - not expensive upgrade with 30 quid speakers and a good improvement over the standard ones. Can listen to music and actually hear the instruments and at the lower volumes which surprises me in a very good way. It's probably must be one the things all new owners should be advised to do together with antirust treatment and belt check
(Post Link) post #2285 of 2913 Old 11-04-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko1960 View Post
Haha yeah, actually didnt even notice it was a bad engine until some expert told me!! I washed it yesterday and tomorrow I'll be ordering the master code so I can get the phone and sat nav working again
Funny that, i considered myself an Alfa enthusiast last week. Until some "expert" pointed out to me, if you have a diesel engine in your GT you can never be an enthusiast.

Damien.
AO Member

Get over it ffs
(Post Link) post #2287 of 2913 Old 11-04-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko1960 View Post
Get over it ffs
That's funny, you were the one to kick off on "this thread" about it. Tell yourself that! FFS.

Damien.
ChrissyD likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdads156jtd View Post
Thanks Dan, had a look on the net for the v-band flange and best prices were on ebay although quite a lot were based in China! The company on ebay I bought it from was racingparts wholesale uk, although they seem to be a chinese company they ship from the UK and I got the flange in a couple of days. I have to say its a nice bit of kit and you get two flanges and the clamp. I didn't cut the flange from the turbo as the new flange was a good fit over the old one and both "v's" matched up so the clamp gives a good seal. It only cost £12.50 for the 2" one with free P&P which was a decent price compared so some of the other UK based suppliers.
Sounds great, would you mind posting the item number you bought?
AO Member

Tell you what, I'll get over it if you do. Bosh
ALFADOIT likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulon View Post
As new ones cost anywhere from $160 - $250 each I might have a crack at painting mine as well then Would still love to see how you did those handles edraven, am going to keep pestering you lol. How on earth did you get them off the door card, for example, aren't they molded on?
I assume you mean the interior handles?

They can easily be separated, the top bit is held on with a large spire clip/star washer type of fitting, you just ease the teeth back with a small screwdriver then tease it off, the lower bit is a sort of small plastic weld that will easily crack off, I used a hot glue gun to reattach it back on.

I will take some pics when I do the other side if you want more info.
joeymannero and bobulon like this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
I will take some pics when I do the other side if you want more info.
Yes please, would like to try it as my handles have been mangled by previous owners or mechanics
AO Member

County: Halland
Garage
Im about to get my wheels refubished, just havent decided on the color yet.. Its either going to be anthracite or gold, I do think the anthracite color fits the car better but I also like the clasic look of a red alfa and gold wheels, couldnt find anyone else on here with a red gt and gold wheels so i decided to photshop some.. What do you guys think? Anthracite or gold, leaning more towards the first color option.. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...9b5918b814.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...e43f9b6ab2.jpg

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
edraven71 likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Anthracite is better. Gold wheels just remind me of an impreza.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Anthracite all the way!

I think the gold would be a little bit too much for my taste.
AO Silver Member

another one for anthracite here..

obviously!

gold wheels are just a bit ''JPS'' showing my age now!
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Made the cruise control work again
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Annd got a MCSF..

02 sensor heater circuit, bank 2 sensor 2..

I think that means a lambda on the front bank?!
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Got the: climate control, windows, mirrors, boot lid and radio all working again by replacing a shot Body Control Module and the rest of the ECU set. It's taken a few weeks sorting out what to do. It's nice to be back in a civilised vehicle, with stuff that works, again.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
Got the: climate control, windows, mirrors, boot lid and radio all working again by replacing a shot Body Control Module and the rest of the ECU set. It's taken a few weeks sorting out what to do. It's nice to be back in a civilised vehicle, with stuff that works, again.
what year was the car? it's not unheard of for a BCM to fail but its unlucky, glad you got it sorted, i assume by ''rest of the ecu set'' you mean a proxy alignment after fitting the new BCM..?

either way really glad you resolved it as these things can be a real PITA to find and resolve and often costly as well..

it must be very nice to have all the mod cons back
AO Member

Could the BCM be the reason for my reverse parking sensors to go on the fritz? When I select reverse I just get a high pitched whistle for about ten seconds and no proximity warning, just a loud bang when I hit the car behind!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today