What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 91 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
so, a really good day today..

stainless turbo pipes fitted and well worth it for anyone wishing to keep the stock intercooler, throttle response is improved without a doubt and the car just seems a bit more willing..they also look the business IMO.

Thanks to Fabrizi racing in Italy who were a pleasure to deal with from start to finish, and the link to these puppies from one of you gents on the forum, (rxe?)
Call me shallow but I'm not keen on the Fabrizi Racing branding on those puppies. Is that a removable vinyl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by imski View Post
Call me shallow but I'm not keen on the Fabrizi Racing branding on those puppies. Is that a removable vinyl?

your shallow, but so am I, I could drown in a puddle I'm that shallow sometimes...

but actually I agree, they could have done a much better job of the logo, or even better just not use one at all...it is vinyl and it will come off, so go ahead if you are considering them, well worth while and very nicely made apart from the crap branding.

I will get around to removing it...but have some other priorities first, like the caliper painting (now going for black) and the short shift bracket, and \i have also just ordered some new wheel bolts.

the old ones now let the side down terribly with the wheels looking so good. ..my thoughts also were that as I have stock calipers painting them red will just highlight that they are not bembro's
I felt the black would improve the appearance without making them look boy racer or imply an upgrade where there is not one.

much classier, especially with the theme of the car.

told you I was shallow!

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
your shallow, but so am I, I could drown in a puddle I'm that shallow sometimes...

but actually I agree, they could have done a much better job of the logo, or even better just not use one at all...it is vinyl and it will come off, so go ahead if you are considering them, well worth while and very nicely made apart from the crap branding.

I will get around to removing it...but have some other priorities first, like the caliper painting (now going for black) and the short shift bracket, and \i have also just ordered some new wheel bolts.

the old ones now let the side down terribly with the wheels looking so good. ..my thoughts also were that as I have stock calipers painting them red will just highlight that they are not bembro's

I felt the black would improve the appearance without making them look boy racer or imply an upgrade where there is not one.

much classier, especially with the theme of the car.

told you I was shallow!

If you like a bit of a satisfying job, spraying the wheel bolts with zinc primer and polishing gives them a cracking finish.
bobulon likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
If you like a bit of a satisfying job, spraying the wheel bolts with zinc primer and polishing gives them a cracking finish.

cheers, I knew there would be a way of doing it, I am just having an attack of lazyitis at the mo considering all the other bits I have to do in the next week or two, for £20 delivered a full set of new wheel bolts is well worth saving the time rather than the money..

that said I will clean up the old bolts once they are off the car so as to have a nice spare set if its ever required, so cheers for the tip
Firstcaralfa likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
I like doing little jobs like that, all add up to the upgrade pot going to attack the chrome on the busso with vinegar and foil soon..
joeymannero likes this.
AO Member

County: Halland
Garage
Quote:
mine is around a 25-30 mm drop so not huge, there is on occasion a bit of splitter contact but only on a very steep incline or a decline (when reversing), my neighbours garage used to be were I would put the nose for a 3 point turn but I can no longer do that. potholes are not an issue at all and we have more than our fair share around here so that would not concern me..

speed humps are fine as long as you slow down to a crawl but that is a good policy anyway with Alfa GT wishbone bushes..

all in all the car is handling very nicely and beginning to look a bit special.

once the front grille is painted to match the wheels and the calipers a nice red with the Alfa decals that arrived in the post today it will be a real looker!

short shift kit goes on next week as well (cheers rxe) along with some new top hat bushes.

happy days!
Well i mounted my first ever coilover suspension today, very time consuming but pretty straight forward I would say, had some trouble with the left front which for some reason needed to be ba bit twisted in order to fit correctly, just because its italian I guess.... Anyway didnt have the time to put the rear suspension on and I slammed it waaay to much, didnt do the measuring correctly but you live and learn! Will be adjusting it in the morning again. I would say I probably dropped it like 50mm so it looks like an angry bull with the 50mm drop in the front and stock in the back.. Will be adjusting to about 30 front and 25 back, and when I find the perfect ride height a proper alignment will be done..

Ps. the first thing I did after the drop was to almost pull the splitter off completely, anyway thanks for the info..

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAlex View Post
Are your roads better over in the west? The roads in Stockholm are atrocious! I thought Australian roads were absolute rubbish until I moved to Sthlm.....I will never complain again about our lovely roads in Aus. Between the giant, numerous potholes and the stupid number of steep speed humps.....I am considering not lowering my 156 when I change the suspension xD

Maybe you will have better luck in Halland!
Sthlm roads are terrible, the worst in all of Sweden I would say, it would be better to drive an gravel every day than the roads of Stockholm, much better on the west coast..

AussieAlex likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzabara View Post
Well i mounted my first ever coilover suspension today, very time consuming but pretty straight forward I would say...
I will be doing this to my 147 GTA next weekend, any tips? Will I need a spring tensioner?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulon View Post
I will be doing this to my 147 GTA next weekend, any tips? Will I need a spring tensioner?
It depends if your coilovers come with a brand new top hat,mine didnt but Idid it without spring tensioners anyway, but you could benefit from using them, but its definately dooable without since the coilovers have much shorter springs and you dont need tensioners to but the stock top hat on the new coilovers..But then again I would definetly recommend using spring tensioners wheen loosing the top hat from the stock suspension just for safety.. You dont want the spring load exploding on your face :O

Make sure you move all the abs and brake lines before dismounting the suspension and be careful not to pull any of them apart.. And definately dont use too much force its not needed , trust me I learned the hard way. Also make sure to remove the control arm before removing the lower fork thingy thats connected to the lower part of your suspension, it coused me alot of backpain because I removed the fork before the controll arm causing everything to twist which made the control arm quite a pain to remove..

Hopefully this will help you atleast a little, btw dont forget to do a wheel alignment when you are satisfied with the ride height..

bobulon likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
Last night I replaced front speakers. Got not very expensive 3-way Pioneers and they went nicely into the place of the factory installation. Was surprised that the factory ones didn't look bad. Well, it took some time and after reading a word of wisdom on this forum I used a 'battery trick' to double check the polarity of the speakers to use the correct cables.

Apparently in my car positives are pink/black and negatives are white/black on the left side and black on the right side. It was too dark by the time I finished to disconnect factory twitters so will try to do it today.

I didn't go for much 'power' with new speakers just wanted a better quality of sound when the volume is not high; factory speakers were producing just a lot of mumbling when the volume was lower than 23. So far it sounded good. Will check when hit the motorway tomorrow.
bobulon likes this.

One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star - it's a satanic drug thing, you wouldn't understand...
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnovice View Post
Last night I replaced front speakers. Got not very expensive 3-way Pioneers and they went nicely into the place of the factory installation. Was surprised that the factory ones didn't look bad. Well, it took some time and after reading a word of wisdom on this forum I used a 'battery trick' to double check the polarity of the speakers to use the correct cables.

Apparently in my car positives are pink/black and negatives are white/black on the left side and black on the right side. It was too dark by the time I finished to disconnect factory twitters so will try to do it today.

I didn't go for much 'power' with new speakers just wanted a better quality of sound when the volume is not high; factory speakers were producing just a lot of mumbling when the volume was lower than 23. So far it sounded good. Will check when hit the motorway tomorrow.
Whilst you've got the door card off it's probably worth sourcing something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1514442048...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A few sheets of damping on the outer metal skin will give the door a nice "heavy" feeling, seal up the access holes with some more of the deadening material to make the door cavity a sealed volume behind the speaker, a patch of the high-density stuff directly behind the speaker, then stuff the foamy stuff wherever you can squeeze it...

Will really help you get the best out of the equipment you've got, and pretty cheap too!
ARnovice and bobulon like this.

AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
thanks for advice! I should've, but I wasn't taking the card off - just did it by removing the grill of a speaker and unbolting them.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdads156jtd View Post
Well, having the 156 diesel off the road to sort out the clutch and clutch lines I had some spare time so decided to fabricate some new items for the car. The bottom turbo hose felt about as solid as a paper bag so that was going and always fancied getting a decat pipe so that was fabricated too. Only had steel tubing around but fabrication wasn't as bad as i thought and managed to get the flange for the exhasuet and some tight 90degree bends from ebay. Both came out not too bad and car feels a lot more responsive after fitting them! Turbo note sounds better too
Nice bit of work there! Did you just cut the V-band flange off your old cat, or did you buy one somewhere? If you bought one, I'd be interested to know where as I'm getting them made at the moment and they are fairly expensive. Cheers
AO Member

Garage
Coilovers mounted and adjusted! She is much prettier now 35 front 30 back a bit to much camber in the front bust she will be aligned properly soon. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...293649e252.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...904e70f826.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...041333f3e3.jpg

AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Coilovers mounted and adjusted! She is much prettier now 35 front 30 back a bit to much camber in the front bust she will be aligned properly soon. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...293649e252.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...904e70f826.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...041333f3e3.jpg

Looks fantastic! Also like the Fiat Coupe in the background

Meanwhile I am sitting here wishing I had more money so I could get my suspension upgraded already! The missus has agreed to let me change everything as soon as we have the money and I want it done before she inevitably changes her mind!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Got around to fitting my retrimmed interior handle today, happy man, it fits great looks good and even feels nicer when you grab it.
20160409_180051.jpg

Also finally got around to fitting my new Anthracite door handles, had them sitting waiting for a year now so thought I best get my bum into gear.20160409_180133.jpg
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Got around to fitting my retrimmed interior handle today, happy man, it fits great looks good and even feels nicer when you grab it.
Attachment 629938

Also finally got around to fitting my new Anthracite door handles, had them sitting waiting for a year now so thought I best get my bum into gear.Attachment 629946
Did you buy the inner door handles like that or is it a diy job? Love the look btw!
Quote:
Meanwhile I am sitting here wishing I had more money so I could get my suspension upgraded already! The missus has agreed to let me change everything as soon as we have the money and I want it done before she inevitably changes her mind!

AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks!

Good spotting, the Fiat is a new little toy 16v turbo version with a full bodykit I got for 6000 swedish krona, (about 600euros) and without a single fault, only some small cosmetic fixes, an opportunity impossible to refuse..

There are some coilovers for the 156 chassies for 2499:- idk about the ride quality or the overall quality but it will probably better than stock anyway..

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Did you buy the inner door handles like that or is it a diy job? Love the look btw!

They are a DIY job, offcuts of leather, araldite and lots of cut fingers and swearing.

And thanks, your is looking good too, always look better lowered a bit.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
They are a DIY job, offcuts of leather, araldite and lots of cut fingers and swearing.

And thanks, your is looking good too, always look better lowered a bit.
Definetly something I will be looking in the near future..

AO Member

County: Renfrewshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Nice bit of work there! Did you just cut the V-band flange off your old cat, or did you buy one somewhere? If you bought one, I'd be interested to know where as I'm getting them made at the moment and they are fairly expensive. Cheers
Thanks Dan, had a look on the net for the v-band flange and best prices were on ebay although quite a lot were based in China! The company on ebay I bought it from was racingparts wholesale uk, although they seem to be a chinese company they ship from the UK and I got the flange in a couple of days. I have to say its a nice bit of kit and you get two flanges and the clamp. I didn't cut the flange from the turbo as the new flange was a good fit over the old one and both "v's" matched up so the clamp gives a good seal. It only cost £12.50 for the 2" one with free P&P which was a decent price compared so some of the other UK based suppliers.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:

Also finally got around to fitting my new Anthracite door handles, had them sitting waiting for a year now so thought I best get my bum into gear.
Are you deliberately trying to make me jealous? if you are it's working! I literally came to the forum just now to find your old post when you made these handles to ask you to do a how-to write up - please do it for all the unskilled bums like myself

I was cleaning my door handles yesterday with acetone and then putting 303 on them, the whole time thinking about your snazzy looking leather handles and how much better they looked. Is that weird lol? I couldn't even figure out how you got the handles off the door card!

Also, anthracite handles!! Did you make those? I also spent some time yesterday looking up refurb tips on the door handles as mine are scratched up. I didn't find anything, just peeps saying to buy new ones.

I did have a small win, I have - hopefully - repaired my window switch assembly from the drivers side whose plastic tab had snapped off, the one with the screw hole that holds it down. I think there might be a part missing inside the door though as there doesn't seem to be anything to screw into to hold it there other than a hole in the door card under the armrest. Surely a hole in the door card is not all that is holding it down?

._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Alfa 147 GTA

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

2005 GT 3.2 V6

Busy respraying the left rear calipers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20160409_0066.jpg (203.6 KB, 18 views)
edraven71 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Just went to order the next set of filters for the next service... Found Original Birth front ARB droplinks for £5.49 per side! Special price from Shop4Parts!

Don't mind if I do! 84k on the original links from the factory, for a shade under £11 I think they've earned replacement!
samsdads156jtd and bobulon like this.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Thanks!

Good spotting, the Fiat is a new little toy 16v turbo version with a full bodykit I got for 6000 swedish krona, (about 600euros) and without a single fault, only some small cosmetic fixes, an opportunity impossible to refuse..

There are some coilovers for the 156 chassies for 2499:- idk about the ride quality or the overall quality but it will probably better than stock anyway..

Awesome value for 6k SEK!

I'm looking at either getting the Novitec Cup kit or AP Sports. Though I am a bit concerned with the ~45mm drop on the Novitecs and the 40/30mm drop on the APs. 30mm would be ok but the 45mm drop here in Stockholm could prove to be an issue!

Though I am also going to buy an aluminium undertray which gives an extra 20mm clearance so maybe that can counteract the extra drop on the Novitecs.

Also going either powerflex or strongflex front and rear and the usual wishbone replacement as well. Going to be a lot of work when I get the money to make the change!

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today