What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 89 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

County: Cork
Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Another MOT, another failure!

Surprise surprise the local MOT, Tyre, and Exhaust center failed it on tyre wear

Good thing I'd pre-ordered 4x Goodyear Efficientgrip to go on at the same time

Sling the new boots on, reprint a pass certificate.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Another MOT, another failure!

Surprise surprise the local MOT, Tyre, and Exhaust center failed it on tyre wear http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...ies/jester.gif

Good thing I'd pre-ordered 4x Goodyear Efficientgrip to go on at the same time http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...es/thumbup.gif

Sling the new boots on, reprint a pass certificate.
That's some nice planning ahead. Good work
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic2115 View Post
That's some nice planning ahead. Good work
Thing is, I knew my fronts were low and could do with changing (felt a bit of aquaplaning last week on the motorway!)...

The rears were good for most of the tread, but inner shoulder was bald because rear alignment had never been done (problem between seat and steering wheel there)...

So was 50:50 whether they'd let it through as it went in.. And knowing what they usually keep in stock in 225/40/18 size (Infinity INF05), I wanted a decent option!
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Let me know how those Efficientgrip's go. I will need to pick up some summer tyres sometime in the next month or two and they are on the radar.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAlex View Post
Let me know how those Efficientgrip's go. I will need to pick up some summer tyres sometime in the next month or two and they are on the radar.
Will do.

I do almost exclusively motorway driving, so even slight improvement to MPG adds up over the life of the tyre.. Plus good wear life, A-rated wet grip, nice soft sidewall apparently so a slightly comfier ride on the 18's...

It was a toss up between the GY Efficientgrip's vs. Nexen N8000's... Budget Nexens, but they get a lot of good reviews stating that they're punching above their weight in terms of price/performance... About half the price of Goodyears too!
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
Sounds like your tyre shop were spot on if you knew an issue. Hope new boots sit well with a check to the alignment you should be good to go. I miss my motorway driving days with my bella but she took the mileage increase well and is now a small town girl.

Now as for what I've done with her.. watched her in the rain and considered a quick wheel clean (whatever the weather) and interior valet when it's dried up (IF it dries up).
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 147Jane View Post
Sounds like your tyre shop were spot on if you knew an issue. Hope new boots sit well with a check to the alignment you should be good to go.
Got the full alignment done about 6-7 weeks ago at Protyre, so that should be the rear sorted for now...

Front tracking is another story... Stuck it on the tracking rack to check it with the new tyres on, and their machine was telling them the OSF was 8 degrees out

Haven't hit anything or rolled over any nasty potholes, so not sure what's happened there...

All I know is that on the drive home, it felt sublime!
147Jane likes this.
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Just rescued the mrs and limped her 147 home, she was luckily only just over a mile from home.

Looks like I'll be doing another clutch job (did it on mine last september).
Can't select gears with the engine running.
Not sure how I feel about the previous time still being relatively fresh in the memory...
Let's call it silver lining!
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Will do.

I do almost exclusively motorway driving, so even slight improvement to MPG adds up over the life of the tyre.. Plus good wear life, A-rated wet grip, nice soft sidewall apparently so a slightly comfier ride on the 18's...

It was a toss up between the GY Efficientgrip's vs. Nexen N8000's... Budget Nexens, but they get a lot of good reviews stating that they're punching above their weight in terms of price/performance... About half the price of Goodyears too!
My line of thinking is pretty much exactly the same as yours re. the goodyears. Most of my driving in on the motorway so any increase in MPG along with the fact that they are one of the quieter tyres (68dB) mixed with them being really well priced over here....they are definitely leading the choice of candidates atm.

My biggest choice will be whether to pick up a new set of wheels as I only have the 1 set. I would probably go for 17s (if they fit) which could then change my tyre options. Suppose it will come down to how much the GF lets me spend.......as always

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
(Post Link) post #2211 of 2909 Old 02-04-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Few pics from today of mine and the girlfriends coupe..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d5b2eb7b-f2a7-49aa-a3e7-17f8fe77fc0c_zpsggbyuseo.jpg (97.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 0cd6e17a-ce4a-4651-88ff-566594a86704_zps4yrgxjsg.jpg (81.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 140ad3dd-549b-43b6-98c3-0cef9d92fb24_zpsivmbwtus.JPG (252.4 KB, 22 views)
AO Member

County: West Cumbria
Garage
Was just about to post about my rear tyres and saw the Editors post, exactly the same condition I found my rear tyres in today, about 2 inches of bald wear on the rears and the rest of the tread with about 5mm still left!!
Looks like my next post will one of 4 wheel alignment as well!
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav666 View Post
Was just about to post about my rear tyres and saw the Editors post, exactly the same condition I found my rear tyres in today, about 2 inches of bald wear on the rears and the rest of the tread with about 5mm still left!!
Looks like my next post will one of 4 wheel alignment as well!
Usually the bushes on the rear transverse arm have worn, so the toe angle slips out negative (front of the wheel pointing outside of the centerline of the car).. Ends up scrubbing the inner shoulders something fierce!

Second set of tyres I've trashed by not paying attention to the alignment!
Mav666 likes this.
AO Member

County: -
I had same issue on mine all bushes looked ok but my guy at garage said rears weren't adjustable. He thought suspension top mounts could be issue
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtearl View Post
I had same issue on mine all bushes looked ok but my guy at garage said rears weren't adjustable. He thought suspension top mounts could be issue
Toe angle at the rear is adjusted by a cam-bolt that mounts the rear arm to the central cross frame.

I'd have thought top-mount issues would put the camber out rather than the toe.

Eventually (when my current bushes are shot), I'll probably get everything at the rear polybushed.. Should be a fit and forget solution!
AO Member

County: -
Cheers for that much appreciated
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
GT's seem to knock rear top mounts out more so than the 156 & 147 ever did, not sure why. Might just be because they are generally fitted with bigger wheels. Had a 57 plate in yesterday with only 60-odd thou on the clock and one of the rear topmounts had about 10mm of up & down play in it!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
GT's seem to knock rear top mounts out more so than the 156 & 147 ever did, not sure why. Might just be because they are generally fitted with bigger wheels. Had a 57 plate in yesterday with only 60-odd thou on the clock and one of the rear topmounts had about 10mm of up & down play in it!
Yikes...

How do you check for this, jack up, wheels off and give the hub an up/down shake?

I've got all sorts of squeaks and rattles at the back which so far I've attributed to the parcel-shelf and boot-lid... But you know how good these forums are at feeding neuroses..
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I just set the ramp so the wheel is at chest height, cradle both arms under the wheel and push up with my knees. What should happen is the suspension compresses, but if you can move the whole wheel & suspension up without it compressing first (you'll see the top mount move) then its worn.
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Nothing today, but I took it round Castle Combe yesterday! Quite hilariously killed the brakes, and it definitely needs better tyres - but it did quite well!

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/u...402-WA0027.jpg

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/u...402-WA0034.jpg
edraven71 and bobulon like this.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Continuing some ongoing work to the GT and in preparation for BIAMF at the end of the month. Rather than going for standard red brake calipers I have gone for Lime Green. I'm sure some will hate the colour but I think its a very Italian colour and nicely compliments the Lipari Grey body and red leather seats. I also installed new M-Tec drilled discs and Mintex pads. Black Alfa Romeo logo decals are on the way because I decided the white ones would not stand out enough on the green. Weather permitting the rears will be done too, very soon. Note I use a bucket to support the caliper rather than a coat hanger, it works just as well. The Team Dynamics Monza R alloys came with the car when I bought it recently and make a good alternative to the standard Jet Fins which some complain are not robust enough. I like the centre cap which hides the wheel studs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160401_145233.jpg (49.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160401_192132.jpg (119.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160228_163400.1.jpg (135.8 KB, 16 views)
ferret-ears, edraven71 and bobulon like this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroBeanz View Post
Continuing some ongoing work to the GT
Will definitely stand out, yellow would have looked good too
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulon View Post
Will definitely stand out, yellow would have looked good too
S'funny you should say that. I loved this GTA 156 at last year's BIAMF which was a sort of grey with yellow calipers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTA yellow calipers.JPG (87.7 KB, 15 views)
bobulon likes this.
AO Member

Garage
On my day off and in between showers I have been attempting to do some chip repair to the GT because a respray is not practical or economical right now but the sight of white (primer)freckles is bugging me.

Having Googled information, the "Chipex" approach seemed practical and has positive reviews but somewhat expensive, for what it is. Basically, the system uses the appropriate paint colour applied to a chip or scratch and later a solvent "blender" to remove excess paint. Further research has led me to source my own Lipari Grey paint and isopropanol 70% (a kind of alcohol but not too harsh) as a blender, recommended by body shop repair people. I have dabbed on paint with a fine artist brush on various chips, then half an hour or so later, have rubbed away any excess or proud paint with the blender, leaving just the paint in the chip or scratch. to do this I wrap some material round an old credit card and drop some blender onto it. Then I just wipe it across the touch ups. So far the results are encouraging, I've not destroyed the GT or made it worse and the acne looks less offensive.

The next stage will be to touch up with some clear coat to seal and then blend that but all in good time.
edraven71, AussieAlex and mattimus like this.
AO Member

County: Halland
Garage

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today