What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 85 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

County: -
Fitted new wheels, tires, pads and discs at the weekend...

Loving how it looks now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12819402_10154086548972249_7461780725631568726_o.jpg (93.2 KB, 40 views)
Eric Metz, t3yls, ALFADOIT and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
156 is in having her tbelt done. The missus drives it, so there's naff all miles on it since the last one.
Dug out the last receipt, just to make sure it was actually three years since. *Gasp Horror* its been four years
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Had a new flexi pipe and section of pipe from the back box to the centre box replaced today. Huge amount of rust and there was no way it would pass MOT this month if I had taken it in in the condition it was. It is amazing how much smoother the car is with an exhaust without holes in it though haha
pendragonfalls likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Looking awesome, love that colour
pendragonfalls likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Received my new/replacement pre-de-flapped inlet manifold in the post today from CDTI Surgery... Yay!!

Upon inspection I find stripped out threads on the EGR valve mounting port.. Booo!!

Well one is completely stripped out, and another has obviously been stripped and has a thread repair insert... Bit miffed tbh... Car's booked in to Loz tomorrow so it's a bit late to be sending it back as damaged goods..

Have gotten in touch via their Facebook page... Let's hope they reply a bit quicker than they have been doing recently!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
What a PITA....

Im sure Loz and the lads will sort it..

Good luck tomorrow and post back when done to let us know how it went.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
What a PITA....

Im sure Loz and the lads will sort it..

Good luck tomorrow and post back when done to let us know how it went.
Yea I said to them I'd prefer to try and use the manifold I have and get Loz to sort it rather than send it back lose the cost of postage, wait x number of days etc.. Works better for everyone to let Loz et.al sort it in their workshop...

Other than the slightly dodgy rattle can makeover (and the threads!), it looks good!

1. Cambelt/waterpump, and aux belt with associated pulleys/tensioners.
2. Swirl flap delete (i.e. fit the new mani)
3. Rattly alternator inspection and advise.
4. General health check (looking at you oil cooler!)
5. MOT
6. Get a guy in to quote/inspect for dent removal on the door panels..

If that all goes well, then we'll see what (if any) spare cash I have to spend on fun stuff!

AO Silver Member

My aux belt is due soon as well...

Its about the only thing that has not been replaced!

Re the b12s mine is the pro kit not the sportline...

So firm but not backbreaking.

Be interesting to see what kind of nick your mani is in if you decide to usd the recon..
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Be interesting to see what kind of nick your mani is in if you decide to usd the recon..
Yea I'm curios too... Hopefully it comes off with all the flaps still attached! Have been a few stories here of those driving about missing a flap for a while without seeing the effects... Will settle my neuroses once I know the flap are all present and correct.. The MAP sensor was pretty dirty when I cleaned it at 34k miles, but I fitted a restrictor at 34k, and then a full blank (and ECU map) at 47k... Now at 80.5K so has had lots of EGR free running, but given it had averaged <6k miles per year until I bought it I reckon the damage was done well before I got it... Either it was an infrequent toy, or a frequent short commuter!!

If it's in good nick and not too coked up I'll offer it up for sale... If not CDTI surgery are offering 40 refund as they'll clean it up and remove the flaps permanently then sell it on
AO Member

County: -
Swapped my tyre over onto my new wheel now less vibrations. Then drained the coolant out and replaced the thermostat. I now have a solid 90 deg temp on the gauge and obviously know the coolant is spot on.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Diagnosed what I believe to be a lovely little oil leak from the turbo bleeding its precious contents into the inlet. Oh the fun!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ce-please.html (A little advice please...)
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
Just replaced the weedy interior lights with some LEDs...much better!
AO Member

County: uk

Member car:

156 selespeed

Fitted a new gates thermostat as the 156 wasn't getting warm, heated up nicely within a couple of milesjust waiting for the fast road cams to arrive this week then fitting at the weekend. Then at some point on a dyno to see how many horses she has
(Post Link) post #2115 of 2913 Old 13-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Having WMI fitted. Stealth install by devils own.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Having WMI fitted. Stealth install by devils own.

Damien.
Where's the reservoir going then?
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Practiced my stick welding today. Looks like Stevie Wonder's handy work but I've successfully joined chunks of metal together. Lots more practice needed before I tackle the rear floor pan.
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Yea I'm curios too... Hopefully it comes off with all the flaps still attached! Have been a few stories here of those driving about missing a flap for a while without seeing the effects...
In my case I knew the car was unwell, with a high probability that it was detached swirl flap/s. I bought cheap because of this, the seller was quite open that he'd had some sort of incident 6 months earlier, and the car didn't sound or run the same since. He'd stopped using it at that point and bought a Brera. So although I was hoping the rattle was just a sticky injector, then a rattly alternator pulley or crank pulley, my instinct was flaps. I didn't dare drive it, I only did ~70 very restrained miles before taking it apart.

Looking back, the idle was uneven, though it seemed OK at the time. The turbo was sticking too, and there was a sort of surge at low revs, like the throttle was not constant. One flap had gone through the engine, bending two valves. Another was detached and sitting in the inlet waiting to cause more wreckage. Just as well I took it easy.

I'm amazed it ran as well as it did, but I think that if you're used to the car and know how it runs, you'd know if flaps had entered the engine. Typically they make quite a lot of clatter as they get macerated.

So I think you'll be OK.

Quote:
If not CDTI surgery are offering 40 refund as they'll clean it up and remove the flaps permanently then sell it on
The best thing that could happen to any manifold with metal flaps, aside from burial at sea.
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
Fitted new fuse for cigar lighter, new fog bulb. Sprayed the Door upper trim (matt black and laquer) - it was pitting white - on both doors, filled a crack on front bumper - opened it up in a prang (it was originally broken before I bought her). And tidied up a couple of bits on my bonnet - laquer added. Just need colour matched paint to finish the bumper.
(Post Link) post #2120 of 2913 Old 13-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Where's the reservoir going then?
In the redundant wheel well under the boot cover.. Plus the pump.. Stealth.. Jet is in my JTD performance stainless pipe off the inlet manifold. Looks awesome. The effect is even better.

Damien.
(Post Link) post #2121 of 2913 Old 13-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Few pics from the Devils Own FB page of today.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10389131_1018937524866401_3860265731480185762_n.jpg (88.5 KB, 33 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:

Damien.
There's definitely some evil going on there!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Damien.
Lovely install! What size tank did you go for, and how often do you anticipate having to stop and top it up?

Very eager to hear your feedback in a free days/weeks once you've got used to it!
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Damien.
she's looking awesome mate, stance is spot on,of course I have seen it in the flesh but certain angles highlight the overall effect of some of the finer touches.

the splitter is a piece of art and I love the red detail around the front grille..

all in all a really well thought out project that I am sure you will enjoy for many years to come. Such is the GT's design that it has a timeless quality not shared by some of Alfa'a later offerings.

Bertone really did get the shape right on the GT.

how's the water meth? I suppose its going to be hard to really get an idea of what's going on till you get the clutch sorted as I imagine you are holding back a fair bit.

good to see your cracking on though,

I love it when a plan comes together

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
(Post Link) post #2125 of 2913 Old 14-03-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
she's looking awesome mate, stance is spot on,of course I have seen it in the flesh but certain angles highlight the overall effect of some of the finer touches.

the splitter is a piece of art and I love the red detail around the front grille..

all in all a really well thought out project that I am sure you will enjoy for many years to come. Such is the GT's design that it has a timeless quality not shared by some of Alfa'a later offerings.

Bertone really did get the shape right on the GT.

how's the water meth? I suppose its going to be hard to really get an idea of what's going on till you get the clutch sorted as I imagine you are holding back a fair bit.

good to see your cracking on though,

I love it when a plan comes together

Hi Joe.

Was no holding back yesterday. As long as i am careful around the 3k mark she pulls like a freight train. The meth certainly makes a difference. Gives her power delivery a real sparkle. Just like she feels on a crisp cool icey day. But constantly. I am going to get myself an accurate boost gauge now as Alfie fitted a boost outlet off the stainless Im pipe. We needed it for the boost management sensor for the meth. Am going to be mixing meth today lol. Bought a big tub of it from Devils own. I also opted for the tank low light which is very neatly located on my steering wheel cowl.

This would be great for you Joe. Even replacing the FMIC idea. This is way way more efficient. Obviously the FMIC adds to everything. But if it was one or the other meth would be the way. Also you can take it with you when you move on to another Turbo car. So its an investment.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today