What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 83 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Good luck ratko but i think you're posting on the wrong site. We've all got our own problems here.
yes, i know but what can i do when i'm in distress. anyways it will be a lot of help for the alfa community to get details on the repair and motor stuff information for future references on the forum. Thank's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
AO Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratko View Post
yes, i know but what can i do when i'm in distress. anyways it will be a lot of help for the alfa community to get details on the repair and motor stuff information for future references on the forum. Thank's.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Jacked up the front of my GTA to find out if it has a Q2 installed. Put it in gear and turned a wheel forwards, the other wheel went backwards... no Q2 lol. Also going to have a look at a new black/tan leather interior to replace my cloth one
edraven71 likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratko View Post

I have a suggestion for your ''distress''....pay for it yourself..like the rest of us do..

seriously though. there is lots of goodwill on this forum with advice and on occasion the odd freebee from people that have a garage full of stuff they are not using and will donate for postage costs.

I had an offer of camshafts for 40 for a set of two for my old JTS from metzymotive within a week or two of joining.. the Alfa community are good like that on the whole..

by the time he covered postage it would have been 15 each as close to free as it gets..

you will NOT tap into this goodwill by asking for a financial handout on your second post..

accept this and stick around for the banter and advice and maybe the odd offer of parts if people have them and are not using..

you won't be getting any money though!
pendragonfalls likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
I see the funding's going very well....

https://www.generosity.com/fundraisi...alfa-romeo-car
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Settled on a quote for the alloy wheel powdercoating and sill repair managed to get a cracking prove by shopping around

Now need to figure out how much the sensor 2 bank 2 lambda will cost me..
Simon_GT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
Settled on a quote for the alloy wheel powdercoating and sill repair managed to get a cracking prove by shopping around

Now need to figure out how much the sensor 2 bank 2 lambda will cost me..
please share, who where and how much..?

Pm me if you wish to be discreet..
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulon View Post
Jacked up the front of my GTA to find out if it has a Q2 installed. Put it in gear and turned a wheel forwards, the other wheel went backwards... no Q2 lol. Also going to have a look at a new black/tan leather interior to replace my cloth one
Thats not how a Q2 or Quaife diff works, you will need to remove the passenger side driveshaft and inspect inside the diff housing to see if you have a standard, Q2 or Quaife diff fitted. If you post up a photo I can identify it for you.
bobulon likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
please share, who where and how much..?

Pm me if you wish to be discreet..
PM sent.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret-ears View Post
Mid week, cold air, sun shining, so I decided to go out for a joy ride, just to lift my spirits....
"Cars As Therapy" a new business venture who's in?

Yup, yesterday had to go to the office in Oxford (not far from BMiniW factory).

Two choices: M40 and then sit in traffic on the A40 approaching Headington before crawling down the by-pass ... or leave M40 at J7 and cross-country via Stadhampton, Chiselhampton, to Cowley. No contest! Roads a bit damp ... but didn't stop me driving at limits.

Coming home didn't take the M40 at all .. from Stadhampton accross to Watlington: up to Lewknor, up old A40 to Stokenchurch then via Lane End to Marlow ..

All OK until I got stuck behind a Nissan Juke with L plates .. .. so then it was where I could use all 155 horses to blip past!!! .. Fun, so much fun!!!

Last week had to go to Malvern .. on way back used A442 to Stratford .. woo hoo!! Rather be behind the wheel than in driving a laptop anyday!

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
Yup, yesterday had to go to the office in Oxford (not far from BMiniW factory).

Two choices: M40 and then sit in traffic on the A40 approaching Headington before crawling down the by-pass ... or leave M40 at J7 and cross-country via Stadhampton, Chiselhampton, to Cowley. No contest! Roads a bit damp ... but didn't stop me driving at limits.

Coming home didn't take the M40 at all .. from Stadhampton accross to Watlington: up to Lewknor, up old A40 to Stokenchurch then via Lane End to Marlow ..

All OK until I got stuck behind a Nissan Juke with L plates .. .. so then it was where I could use all 155 horses to blip past!!! .. Fun, so much fun!!!

Last week had to go to Malvern .. on way back used A442 to Stratford .. woo hoo!! Rather be behind the wheel than in driving a laptop anyday!
'Tis the simple things in life! I love finding alternate routes when I'm driving around for work, even in a Qashqai, they can be entertaining! It's surprising just how many fun roads there are if you ignore the sat nav!
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
After buying a 147 JTD 8v with a few known issues, I've just received the first part of my sprucing...a full set of Pagid discs & pads from ECP for about 120 (using 15% Quidco and 10% ECP discounts).

Got some new tyres ordered for fitting at the weekend (Michelin CrossClimate) as the 2 rears were almost on the wear bars, the NSF was a old winter tyre, and the OSF was a fairly decent Kumho. Unfortunately couldn't find the same Kumho for sale anywhere anymore so decided I might as well go for a completely new set. Car will be used all year round, so something with decent wet/cold performance was paramount. (I've got a Z4MC that I've put 140k miles on for fun).

Also got a Sony head unit install booked in for a week later.

That should do for March
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfive View Post
After buying a 147 JTD 8v with a few known issues, I've just received the first part of my sprucing...a full set of Pagid discs & pads from ECP for about 120 (using 15% Quidco and 10% ECP discounts).

Got some new tyres ordered for fitting at the weekend (Michelin CrossClimate) as the 2 rears were almost on the wear bars, the NSF was a old winter tyre, and the OSF was a fairly decent Kumho. Unfortunately couldn't find the same Kumho for sale anywhere anymore so decided I might as well go for a completely new set. Car will be used all year round, so something with decent wet/cold performance was paramount. (I've got a Z4MC that I've put 140k miles on for fun).

Also got a Sony head unit install booked in for a week later.

That should do for March
do like those Z4 coupe's..

nearly pulled the trigger on one a while back but stupid work mileage meant it was just not practical.

how are you enjoying the 147 as an alternative?
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
Quote:
do like those Z4 coupe's..

nearly pulled the trigger on one a while back but stupid work mileage meant it was just not practical.

how are you enjoying the 147 as an alternative?
Well, be only done 2 trips to London and back so far, and do miss the overtaking ability of the Z4, and I'm missing the extra 200bhp, but not missing the 27mpg

I bought the Z4 about 7 years ago with 9,000 miles on the clock, and have put another 140k on it since.

The benefit of the 147 is the 50+ mpg on the same run and the more relaxed cruise due to it's softer ride, and relative lack of power, meaning I'm not always looking to get past everything else on the road. It's not like it's any slower over the whole 4 hour trip either, as that's usually down to the traffic.

I've always had BMW M cars as my one and only vehicle (used to be e34 M5s), but wasn't doing lots of miles in them until about 4 years ago. Didn't expect this current piece of work to last this long at this location, as I normally move around with the job. After the 2nd year I started considering something different, but thought I'd miss the opportunity to go cross-country whenever I felt like it on my commute back home from London.

I'd probably be still pontificating if I hadn't had a twunt pull out & slam on, in the pouring rain, on the M42 just before Christmas. I slammed on too, but the car swapped ends as I braked into standing water, and ended up facing the wrong way on the motorway after grazing the barrier.

Still waiting for the Z4 to be returned from the bodyshop, so decided to buy a runaround instead of driving the boring, uncomfortable Vauxhall Viva that I was given as a courtesy car.

I'll be keeping the Z4 for weekend hoons, track days and 'Ring trips.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfive View Post
Well, be only done 2 trips to London and back so far, and do miss the overtaking ability of the Z4, and I'm missing the extra 200bhp, but not missing the 27mpg

I bought the Z4 about 7 years ago with 9,000 miles on the clock, and have put another 140k on it since.

The benefit of the 147 is the 50+ mpg on the same run and the more relaxed cruise due to it's softer ride, and relative lack of power, meaning I'm not always looking to get past everything else on the road. It's not like it's any slower over the whole 4 hour trip either, as that's usually down to the traffic.

I've always had BMW M cars as my one and only vehicle (used to be e34 M5s), but wasn't doing lots of miles in them until about 4 years ago. Didn't expect this current piece of work to last this long at this location, as I normally move around with the job. After the 2nd year I started considering something different, but thought I'd miss the opportunity to go cross-country whenever I felt like it on my commute back home from London.

I'd probably be still pontificating if I hadn't had a twunt pull out & slam on, in the pouring rain, on the M42 just before Christmas. I slammed on too, but the car swapped ends as I braked into standing water, and ended up facing the wrong way on the motorway after grazing the barrier.

Still waiting for the Z4 to be returned from the bodyshop, so decided to buy a runaround instead of driving the boring, uncomfortable Vauxhall Viva that I was given as a courtesy car.

I'll be keeping the Z4 for weekend hoons, track days and 'Ring trips.
well it sounds like you replaced one drivers car with another...

sorry to hear about the Z4 , its a PITA but especially hurts when its some other that is at fault.

if you wish to add some more enjoyment to the experience you should consider a re-map and egr delete, all sorts of options available from a mild map at 180bhp to a full on lairy one ,even on the stock turbo 200 BHP is easily do-able. given the torque figures will be around 320 Lb ft you may find yourself missing the Z4 less than you expect..

budget for a clutch at the same time though, your MPG should also improve, mine did..Autolusso will do the clutch,map and egr delete for around 800ish

my car is now pushing around 220bhp with bags of torque but has a hybrid turbo, I could not go back to stock power...I did briefly own a Z3M coupe and will say my GT with all the mods is as much fun, handles better and is a load more practical than the Z3 was having 5 seats to play with and a huge boot.

The only thing the beemer had that the GT does not is a quick 0-60 and a nice soundtrack...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
well it sounds like you replaced one drivers car with another...

sorry to hear about the Z4 , its a PITA but especially hurts when its some other that is at fault.

if you wish to add some more enjoyment to the experience you should consider a re-map and egr delete, all sorts of options available from a mild map at 180bhp to a full on lairy one ,even on the stock turbo 200 BHP is easily do-able. given the torque figures will be around 320 Lb ft you may find yourself missing the Z4 less than you expect..

budget for a clutch at the same time though, your MPG should also improve, mine did..Autolusso will do the clutch,map and egr delete for around 800ish

my car is now pushing around 220bhp with bags of torque but has a hybrid turbo, I could not go back to stock power...I did briefly own a Z3M coupe and will say my GT with all the mods is as much fun, handles better and is a load more practical than the Z3 was having 5 seats to play with and a huge boot.

The only thing the beemer had that the GT does not is a quick 0-60 and a nice soundtrack...
Glad you got your GT fixed, Ned filled me in yesterday, good work from the boys down south as usual. I take it Wayne the Brain was the one doing the work?
Autolusso and joeymannero like this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Glad you got your GT fixed, Ned filled me in yesterday, good work from the boys down south as usual. I take it Wayne the Brain was the one doing the work?

Wayne was most definitely involved!

The Map from red dot was part of the issue but by no means all of it...as I have said before although all of the maps tried were better than the red dot one none dealt with the late boost issue and that was the thing making the car all but undrivable.

it was kicking in at 2200 rpm and now it is present from 1500 rpm and responsive from 1700 with just a slight tap of the right boot in any gear...its better than first hybrid turbo at all points in the rev range.

its VNT calibration that was the major factor on that first hybrid ,I would put very important parts of my anatomy on it...

I am very happy with the work Ned and Wayne did for me, Ned was determined to get to the bottom of it and in the end he did, my car fly's now! my only concern is the clutchslip countdown I am running in my head.....

I think i can get about 7k out of it with this power, given the red dot map was dyno'd at 196 bhp and 314 ft lb, butt dyno tells this is at least another 15% on that I am guessing the 220ish with a good bit more torque but its an ''educated'' guess.

will be sorting a stage two clutch most likely the drive torque one and an FMIC along with a final map tweak in May, Ned says there is more boost to be utilized should I want and yes why not..but think it sensible to have the clutch dealt with before going for more power.

for now I am very happy with the way the car is running.
Pud237 and Autolusso like this.
AO Member

County: uk

Member car:

156 selespeed

shiny

To day I gave the selespeed a polish looking good, waiting eagerly for the fast road cams to come back from piper cams. Nice
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman557 View Post
To day I gave the selespeed a polish looking good, waiting eagerly for the fast road cams to come back from piper cams. Nice
welcome, I notice its your first post...

I am guessing by your ''tag'' you are into your vespa's and lammies as well?
AO Member

County: uk

Member car:

156 selespeed

New to this mate not sure what my tag is but I'm into my sports bikes mate
AO Silver Member

Washed it and took a picture mmm
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman557 View Post
New to this mate not sure what my tag is but I'm into my sports bikes mate

goodstuff,

just thought the scooterman bit was about scooters..

I still miss my 996, but was more into the scooter thing as in london my Vespa's were a nice commuting compromise given the luggage capacity and riding position, I have had over the years a GTV 250 GTS 300, P200e ,GS160, PX125 and various sprints,PK's a really quick T5 and even an LML star. my first scooter was a little special 50 all vespa's of course..

I am currently trying to persuade the Mrs that an Enfield Bullet would be a good idea as the local bike shop has a 13 plate 500 efr for sale at good money, but given the recent shenanigans with the Alfa I might struggle to get this one off the ground...

I miss the two wheel thing for sure but haven't missed doing it all year round.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Very simple .. changed the radiator fan resistor as I'd lost slow fan speed.

Checked with MES a couple of weeks back and relays working and high speed fan, but no low. Sure sign the resistor had failed. The old one was covered in green corrosion .. it was a few years old (on 3rd one in 17 years!). Ordered one from alternative autos via fleabay but just haven't found time to fit it and it's usually cold or raining when I did ...

And at 207,099 miles ... ready for blast up M40 to NEC tomorrow .. :-)

Last edited by gazza82; 04-03-16 at 23:44.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Fitted 2 new tyres as I was running slicks on the rears

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today