What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 82 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
I'll be honest it's not been used massively at all! I can't part with it though, but not the 147 has gone I think it makes sense to sort this out.

It has been polybushed. Suspension if I do it would be a complete overhaul in one, much better that way I think. Then it's the choice of what to put on!

Premium service with cam belt etc will be done in next few weeks at Autolusso, the bent sill will be sorted and the alloys refurbed.

I like the GT for its understated-ness and it never fails to put a smile on my face when I take it out. With it being a few hundred miles off 100k, do I just put money into it and keep it for a long, long time? I'm leaning this way I think as the clutch was done along with oil cooler pipes and scorpion not so long ago.

But then the other option is to sell to someone, and invest in a lowish mileage GTA.

Decisions, decisions.
What's the attraction of a 147 GTA over a GT V6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Timiș

Member car:

156 8v

Yeah wishing for a 147 GTA when you have a 3.2 GT doesn't make much sense. The 156, yes.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
What's the attraction of a 147 GTA over a GT V6?
The more obvious looks and the GTA badge (yes I know it's superficial) I also think it would be a hoon to drive, though I'll admit very similar.

They seem to be appreciating more, but this wouldn't be a reason for having one. I will use it and use it well, it won't be stored away.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
Yeah wishing for a 147 GTA when you have a 3.2 GT doesn't make much sense. The 156, yes.
The saloon 156 doesn't get me going looks wise compared to the GT and the 147. I'm not the biggest fan on the GT front end if I'm honest, I do think all around the 147 GTA is the best looking. That could be to do with my first car being a 147, mind.
AO Member

County: Timiș

Member car:

156 8v

You are wrong. The 156 is the proper body style for this platform.

Well, I suppose that could be to do with my first car being a 156
Firstcaralfa likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Bled fresh fluid through to the clutch slave cylinder this morning... Was surprised how gunky the old stuff looked since it's only been in about a year!

Syringed out the reservoir, cleaned up the strainer, topped up with fresh, and then pedal pumped until it came out the bleed nipple clean and clear..

Made absolutely no difference to the sticky shift into 1st on a cold start though! I reckon I must have chewed a syncro ring in the box when my clutch failed and I missed third, all that time ago... Hasn't been bothering me other than an ever so slight annoyance every now and then, so I guess I'll just be dealing with that rather than fixing.. Don't particularly fancy throwing parts at it if it's going to ultimately require the gearbox to come off and be inspected.. Would rather wait for a perfect breaker to turn up with the Q2 diff... Might as well get an upgrade out of it

Still, any excuse to get the spanners out

Oh and in case anyone was following the story of my insurance repairs (truck tyre blew out and the rubber munched the front end) - spoke to the garage manager on Monday who promised to get a courtesy car arranged and brought out to me this weekend, and collect mine to get the bits they missed sorted out... Haven't heard from him since Monday!

At this rate I'll be asking Loz to sort the remaining bits in a few weeks time when I'm in for cambelt etc., and to hand the bill over to MotoFix to pick up... Can't believe how poor the service is from a UK wide accident repair center!

Anyway, rant over.. Got an oil-change tomorrow, borrowing the in-laws garage to work in as mines full of junk.. More time fiddling with my car and getting dirty will cheer me up.. and the engine undertray that MotoFix forgot to fit won't even get in the way
ALFADOIT and joeymannero like this.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Bled fresh fluid through to the clutch slave cylinder this morning... Was surprised how gunky the old stuff looked since it's only been in about a year!

Syringed out the reservoir, cleaned up the strainer, topped up with fresh, and then pedal pumped until it came out the bleed nipple clean and clear..

Made absolutely no difference to the sticky shift into 1st on a cold start though! I reckon I must have chewed a syncro ring in the box when my clutch failed and I missed third, all that time ago... Hasn't been bothering me other than an ever so slight annoyance every now and then, so I guess I'll just be dealing with that rather than fixing.. Don't particularly fancy throwing parts at it if it's going to ultimately require the gearbox to come off and be inspected.. Would rather wait for a perfect breaker to turn up with the Q2 diff... Might as well get an upgrade out of it

Still, any excuse to get the spanners out

Oh and in case anyone was following the story of my insurance repairs (truck tyre blew out and the rubber munched the front end) - spoke to the garage manager on Monday who promised to get a courtesy car arranged and brought out to me this weekend, and collect mine to get the bits they missed sorted out... Haven't heard from him since Monday!

At this rate I'll be asking Loz to sort the remaining bits in a few weeks time when I'm in for cambelt etc., and to hand the bill over to MotoFix to pick up... Can't believe how poor the service is from a UK wide accident repair center!

Anyway, rant over.. Got an oil-change tomorrow, borrowing the in-laws garage to work in as mines full of junk.. More time fiddling with my car and getting dirty will cheer me up.. and the engine undertray that MotoFix forgot to fit won't even get in the way

Nothing like a bit of fettling to relax yourself
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
Nothing like a bit of fettling to relax yourself
Planning a few hours on my back with a pot of Kurust and a tin of Hammerite Underbody Seal as well...

Will be happy once that subframe looks as good as new
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Had the ramp booked to change my anti roll bar bushes today, but they still haven't arrived from Strongflex so instead I Treated my Gt 3.2 to an oil change and filter, New air filter, pollen filters and front pads this morning, noticed I have an oil leak from where the pipes meet the oil cooler so nipped up the connections and hopefully that will sort it but I doubt it!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic2115 View Post
Had the ramp booked to change my anti roll bar bushes today, but they still haven't arrived from Strongflex so instead I Treated my Gt 3.2 to an oil change and filter, New air filter, pollen filters and front pads this morning, noticed I have an oil leak from where the pipes meet the oil cooler so nipped up the connections and hopefully that will sort it but I doubt it!
Would have another look at that, they have a tendency to rupture and dump your oil on the road while your driving, not a good place to be
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Had a new windscreen fitted to the 147 yesterday after it got cracked last week.

Despite the horror stories I have read about getting this done the guy has done a top job, the surround actually fits neater than it did before and he was super careful with everything, probably because I was watching him like a hawk.
Also now have someone to do the screen on the GTA when the time comes for the respray
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Would have another look at that, they have a tendency to rupture and dump your oil on the road while your driving, not a good place to be
I will get it looked at properly, annoyingly they were only changed a year ago and the car has a aluminium undertray
AO Silver Member

Took it for a blast getting quotes for powdercoated alloys and the bent sills!!

County: -
Unhappy My Alfa 156 2.0 Petrol Engine Repair

Hi, to all of the alfa community here on alfaowner.com, i own alfa 156 2.0 petrol engine, recently i had bad engine failure that resulted in damaged 4 piston and cylinder. Here is the disassemble of the engine.
The cylinder block is in the machine shop and these days the machinist will be inspecting the block to see what can be done in order to make a repair.
i have started a fund raising campaign at: http://igg.me/at/WbtAR0LCuwI in order to get the engine up and running. anyone who can help me by funding or spreading the word with this is welcomed.

i will post new pictures from the cylinder block and keep you informed how the progress is going.

There will be need of cylinder head repairs also, but more on that in the next step of the procedure.

I will post all the details of the engine as the repair is going on. so please, any suggestions, comments, or interests are greatly welcomed.

thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 piston.jpg (132.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0016.jpg (152.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0026.jpg (86.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0029.jpg (78.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0058.jpg (93.4 KB, 15 views)
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Member

County: Highlands
Did the ECU reset today,does seem to idle more smoothly now.When is best to do an ECU reset,is it after so many years/miles or just when the car isn't running well?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic2115 View Post
I will get it looked at properly, annoyingly they were only changed a year ago and the car has a aluminium undertray
Were they replaced with a Mocal kit with push fit hoses?

Sometimes with this kit you can get oil seeping from the rubber hose where it fits onto the ribbed connection pieces. I had this with mine and I've read quite a few stories about other people having this issue with Mocal kits.
AO Silver Member

Another oil and filter change today!

Got it down to a slick operation now...

Will have to stock up on oil again, my bulk-buy is down to the last 7-8 litres!

*Cough* Opie, get the 5W40 GT1 XTL back on offer again.. 5 per litre is about right I reckon

Took a loooong hard look at my oil cooler fittings as well... Decided against another coat of Waxoyl this time, would rather let Loz see it exactly as it is right now rather than gooped up in underseal.. Might be getting that one done in the next few weeks!

EDIT

Scratch that.. Mytyres have a 20L canister listed at 3.62 per litre, with free delivery!

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 28-02-16 at 14:39.
Emma GTV

Glared at it! 😉
pendragonfalls and sneaker like this.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
Were they replaced with a Mocal kit with push fit hoses?

Sometimes with this kit you can get oil seeping from the rubber hose where it fits onto the ribbed connection pieces. I had this with mine and I've read quite a few stories about other people having this issue with Mocal kits.
I don't think it is a Mocal kit, all the hoses are braided not rubber, not sure though. It was done before I bought it, have the receipt somewhere...probably
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratko View Post
Hi, to all of the alfa community here on alfaowner.com, i own alfa 156 2.0 petrol engine, recently i had bad engine failure that resulted in damaged 4 piston and cylinder. Here is the disassemble of the engine.
The cylinder block is in the machine shop and these days the machinist will be inspecting the block to see what can be done in order to make a repair.
i have started a fund raising campaign at: http://igg.me/at/WbtAR0LCuwI in order to get the engine up and running. anyone who can help me by funding or spreading the word with this is welcomed.

i will post new pictures from the cylinder block and keep you informed how the progress is going.

There will be need of cylinder head repairs also, but more on that in the next step of the procedure.

I will post all the details of the engine as the repair is going on. so please, any suggestions, comments, or interests are greatly welcomed.

thank you.
Hi folks,
Please send me money so I can fix my broken car. Why didn't I think of this earlier? Here's that link again for you any generous benefactors' https://www.generosity.com/fundraisi...alfa-romeo-car

Genius.

Last edited by dgmayhead; 28-02-16 at 19:23.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
TUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Hi folks,
Please send me money so I can fix my broken car. Why didn't I think of this earlier? Here's that link again for you any generous benefactors' https://www.generosity.com/fundraisi...alfa-romeo-car

Genius.

mmm

P****d me off as well that did.

its his second post...

the cheek of it.
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

I'd want to see at least a picture of the OP on his knees, hands together in supplication...
dgmayhead likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Good luck ratko but i think you're posting on the wrong site. We've all got our own problems here.
Regional Representative
For South Africa - AO-SA

County: Gauteng
Yesterday morning fitted a BMC drop in filter on the GT....
This morning I ordered a Blaupunkt Cape Town 940 head unit..... I will drag this car into the future yet
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Metz View Post
Yesterday morning fitted a BMC drop in filter on the GT....
This morning I ordered a Blaupunkt Cape Town 940 head unit..... I will drag this car into the future yet
I've got a K&N in mine. Makes a nice 'sucky' noise when you floor the loud pedal. Didn't notice any of the claimed power gains though, but I suppose it won't need re-oiling for a good while yet

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today