What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 79 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1175Likes

AO Member

County: Essex
Garage
I was after an N/A petrol. due ti the fact that there is less to go wrong. Also not knowing what the future holds with diesel fuel. I was looking at golfs but my Dad found this car just round the corner. 1 elderly owner from new and just 47k from new. There are a few niggles but it is a 15 year old car now. and for what i paid it is a steal.

The plan is to keep her for the next 5 years or so until our mortgage comes to an end. Then treat myself to something a bit special.

Last edited by Mavericktom; 06-02-16 at 17:55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericktom View Post
I was after an N/A petrol. due ti the fact that there is less to go wrong. Also not knowing what the future holds with diesel fuel. I was looking at golfs but my Dad found this car just round the corner. 1 elderly owner from new and just 47k from new. There are a few niggles but it is a 15 year old car now. and for what i paid it is a steal.

The plan is to keep her for the next 5 years or so until our mortgage comes to an end. Then treat myself to something a bit special.
Definitely a good move! I would recommend to avoid any Golf outside warranty like the plague! My mother has owned 3 Golf's over the last 15 years and the first one was great but the 2002 and 2006 models she got were nothing but trouble after the warranty ended. Massive bills and completely unreliable. Hence why I laugh every time someone talks about German reliability and build quality and tried to make fun of me owning Alfa's. Safe to say my family are never touching a VW again!

You'll find the TS is a lovely engine. I've never driven one in 1.6 form but had a 2.0 GTV and just yesterday picked up a lovely 2.0 TS 156 Sportwagon with tan leather which I am loving! They're great engines and excellent if you want to learn how to use the spanners since there is such fantastic information on this forum and they are really simple engines to work on. Especially oil changes. Don't even need to jack the car up so long as you have a shallow oil pan to catch the old oil in.

Regarding what I am doing to my 156 SW; giving her an oil, filter and coolant change next week and then I will be getting her up on a hoist for an inspection so that I can start planning my summer upgrades. Hoping to get a Novitec Cup suspension kit and replace all bushings and wishbones if necessary along with a stainless Novitec exhaust.....though the girlfriend might kill me first

Also need to sort out a decent headunit as the PO put some complete POS unit in and I'm pretty sure they didn't wire it properly so I will probably need to rip it out sometime this week and take a look and see if I can fix the mistakes the previous monkey made when putting the unit in. But ultimately I hope to replace it in a couple weeks with a unit with bluetooth and AUX input support.

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
On the to do list is a new windscreen. As the current has been scratched by wipers.
You can polish the windscreen with cerium oxide glass polish. That'll save you a few quid Tom.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Cry Like A Baby

Kerbed my 18" alloy....
AO Member

Garage
Paddy

Thanks for the heads up regarding the glass polish. I've been looking at different options but couldn't find any thing until you mentioned Cerium Oxide. I'll definitely look into it.

Inffact I've just ordered some glass polish and pads!

Last edited by Mavericktom; 07-02-16 at 15:57.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Paddy

Thanks for the heads up regarding the glass polish. I've been looking at different options but couldn't find any thing until you mentioned Cerium Oxide. I'll definitely look into it.

Inffact I've just ordered some glass polish and pads!
You'll need an electric polisher though. I wouldn't want to attempt it by hand.
AO Member

Garage
There's a machine polisher I can borrow. Its just finding the time to do it.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
You'll need an electric polisher though. I wouldn't want to attempt it by hand.
And a rotary at that, a dual action polisher won't generate enough heat.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Needed to give the car a good run today for the 1st time in a while after having service, new oil cooler and 2 new front tyres in the past few weeks. So I noticed at 11.15am on twitter that Liverpool u21's were playing Man City at Anfield with a 2pm kickoff. Perfect. So my 2 girls and wife got ready and we left for anfield from Stourbridge, west midlands at five past 12, motorway empty so arrived in Liverpool at 1.25pm.

The Busso was immense average 95 on the clear motorway and she returned 26mpg I avoided the motorways, as usual when I visit Anfield on the way back, coming through chester, Delaware and stoke, some great roads and good views and having the 3.2 I never got held up for long

The new Goodyear AS2's have made a massive difference upfront, endless grip, less crashing over bumps so much less noise in the cabin, car just feels much more solid. But....

Parking up in Liverpool I got an ABS/VDC fail light, so switched it off and restarted and it disappeared Same thing happened with a low voltage light a few weeks back and everything checked out fine, so no idea of what could be around the corner. But for the meantime the car is running and feeling the best it has ever done so I just need to enjoy it and stop worrying

Car in garage yet again tomorrow to have sills put right, hopefully. I will be getting the Gearbox oil changed as well as I have no idea when it was last done, the gear change is fine at the minute, so I want to keep it that way.
ALFADOIT likes this.

3.2GT V6 - Gabbiano Blue - Jetfins - M-Tec Shortshifter - Wizard Cat Back - Rest standard
AO Member

County: -
Just bought the car but had a few jobs to do . Fitted new discs n pads all round and sorted stiff gear change.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
Parking up in Liverpool I got an ABS/VDC fail light, so switched it off and restarted and it disappeared Same thing happened with a low voltage light a few weeks back and everything checked out fine, so no idea of what could be around the corner. But for the meantime the car is running and feeling the best it has ever done so I just need to enjoy it and stop worrying
Hopefully its due to the battery and not the ABS ECU. I had an ABS/VDC error on my GTV twinny and for a few weeks the warning light would clear upon restarting the car but eventually it became persistent and resulted in me having to replace the ABS ECU with a second hand unit. Which is no easy feat since, on the 916 cars at least, Alfa used about 5 different ABS ECUs and it was a nightmare trying to track down the correct one. Thankfully the replacement fixed it and it was a relatively easy though tedious job with only 6 screws needing undoing and a straight forward swap. Hopefully yours is just a battery reaching the end of its lifespan though. Do a voltage check with the car off. Should be above 12.6V
warniegt likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
The Busso was immense average 95 on the clear motorway

Driving at 95mph?
2 kids in the back?

Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
What's dangerous about 95 on a clear motorway? Yes its illegal, but its not inherently unsafe. I would rather do 95mph on a clear motorway with my kids in the back of a GT than 70mph on a motorway with my kids in the back of the Mini that I got driven around in when I was a kid....
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
What's dangerous about 95 on a clear motorway? Yes its illegal, but its not inherently unsafe. I would rather do 95mph on a clear motorway with my kids in the back of a GT than 70mph on a motorway with my kids in the back of the Mini that I got driven around in when I was a kid....
The M6 (I presume) on a saturday at midday? ...I think people's description of a clear motorway must vary too.

Add strong winds and rain, no doubt.

Seems excessive to me.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
Driving at 95mph?
2 kids in the back?

Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes really. Clear motorway on a Sunday with most other cars doing the same, just going with the flow. Unfortunately for me I was a travelling salesman for many years so am well versed on the motorway, knowing full well what is safe and what is not safe and at no point were my children in danger with me keeping to the left and leaving plenty of space to other vehicles.

Sometimes 70 is too much, other times you can be sat at 90 in the inside lane getting overtaken like your standing still.
I just drive to the conditions.

Too many people on today's motorways haven't a clue and believe that driving to the speed limit is all that's required...

Please don't turn this forum onto pistonheads for Christ's sake
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
The M6 (I presume) on a saturday at midday? ...I think people's description of a clear motorway must vary too.

Add strong winds and rain, no doubt.

Seems excessive to me.
Wrong on three out of four counts unfortunately. You either work for the daily mail or are a united fan?

Last edited by warniegt; 08-02-16 at 22:31.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
Hopefully its due to the battery and not the ABS ECU. I had an ABS/VDC error on my GTV twinny and for a few weeks the warning light would clear upon restarting the car but eventually it became persistent and resulted in me having to replace the ABS ECU with a second hand unit. Which is no easy feat since, on the 916 cars at least, Alfa used about 5 different ABS ECUs and it was a nightmare trying to track down the correct one. Thankfully the replacement fixed it and it was a relatively easy though tedious job with only 6 screws needing undoing and a straight forward swap. Hopefully yours is just a battery reaching the end of its lifespan though. Do a voltage check with the car off. Should be above 12.6V
New battery and had all the voltages checked out. I did think ecu as I know the cf3's produce a lot of heat and can damage the ecu, I wonder if there is anything you can sort of wrap it in to protect it from the heat?
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
You can polish the windscreen with cerium oxide glass polish. That'll save you a few quid Tom.
Would this work on headlights too? They are proper scratched and not clear anymore. I can't really afford new cloverleaf (blackline?) headlights at the moment.

Would like to explore polishing techniques.

Thanks

Andy
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighouseAlfa View Post
Would this work on headlights too? They are proper scratched and not clear anymore. I can't really afford new cloverleaf (blackline?) headlights at the moment.

Thanks

Andy
Yep it'll work. Lots of resources about on polishing up headlight lenses.

I don't think you'd need such an aggressive abrasive like cerium oxide either... I think many people just use the same polish that they'd use for paintwork.

Wet sanding the lense, followed by your polish if choice should brighten it all up.

Lay a few coats of clear lacquer on them too and the finish should last nicely!

Best done with the lights removed (bumper off job), but can be done in a day easily.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighouseAlfa View Post

Thanks

Andy
Yeah, don't use cerium oxide on lights. If the lenses are not too bad then just polishing with toothpaste may be enough. Otherwise as Ed says you need to strip back the surface with wet sandpaper, moving to a finer and finer grade and finish off with toothpaste or paint polish.

Some lacquers and enamels discolour quickly with the heat from the lamps so you'd have to be very sure of the product before applying since it's not going to be easy to remove. Personally I never risked it.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
New battery and had all the voltages checked out. I did think ecu as I know the cf3's produce a lot of heat and can damage the ecu, I wonder if there is anything you can sort of wrap it in to protect it from the heat?
From what I gathered whilst researching my issue it seems to be more of a Bosch manufacturing issue than anything else. A lot of Bosch ABS modules manufactured in the late 90's - early 00's for various makes and models (especially VW/Audi/Merc/Volvo/AR) seem to suffer similar problems. Usually a tiny slither of solder to one of the solenoids cracks as its barely a couple mm thick which obviously results in the ECU throwing up the error.

As you say, the engine bay heat is the likely cause of the malfunction as I often had no warning lights/error on a cold start but once the engine had warmed up a bit....BAM! Error got thrown up and ABS and Handbrake warning lights came on together.

I suppose you could wrap the entire unit in gold/silver heat reflective tape and then add some insulating layers of that heatproofing padding that is used on the underside of bonnets for added protection. Though how good that protection will be is up for debate. Not to mention at the sort of age and mileage a lot of cars are at that are equipped with these Bosch units; the longevity of the protection could be negligible and the best course of action is still most likely to be to either get the unit rebuilt or replaced. A rebuild would probably be best as most places will warrant their work and will check the entire unit and resolder/replace anything else that may throw up issues later on. Plus you never know if a second hand unit will suffer the same fate and its probably not that much more expensive to get it rebuilt.

But you could always try and insulate the unit and see if that helps anything?
warniegt likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Well the dension gateway didn't last long. I went to use the car this morning and the battery was dead. I can only put this down to the fitting of this item. I thought maybe the immobiliser had cut in so attempted to lock and unlock the car but noticed that my iPod was flashing on and off in sync with me pushing the buttons on the fob.

When I fitted it noticed that the boot lock function seemed to be intermittent after fitting the dension. I've disconnected it now and put the battery on charge. Hopefully all will be ok.

Last edited by Mavericktom; 10-02-16 at 14:14.
(Post Link) post #1973 of 2917 Old 11-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Nothing exciting. But really enjoying my new look candy red tail lights. Filled her up with her favourite drink of V power black stuff. Just love this GT. Gets better and better.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ecc9248f-f671-4960-bf63-2be7451bcc1a_zpsr0pspupt.jpg (111.4 KB, 18 views)
joeymannero and Neddyboy like this.
AO Member

County: Western Australia
Just fitted the MTech short shifter to the GT, very simple job. You don't have to remove the battery or battery box as it says in the instructions so all done in 20 min. Very happy with the improvement,will do the wife's GTA next.

Allan
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Received another update from the garage.. Still not ready to collect

Been in for 2 weeks now

First week was strip down, assess damage behind bumper, await engineers assessments, await repair approval etc.. This week has been the long wait for parts to arrive.. Was hoping to get it on a 4-wheel alignment rig tomorrow (originally predicted to be finished yesterday!), but that's not gonna happen now!

Good news is that they found cracks in the AC condenser as well which I had missed, so that's being replaced as well... I'm looking forward to seeing the final report of damaged parts...

Not looking forward to another week with the Bright Yellow VW Fox they've given me though...
ALFADOIT likes this.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 12-02-16 at 18:11.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today