Hi I've got a 147 bought it last week everything seemed fine then yesterday the gearbox went and is now stuck in first gear anyone got any suggestions please? Thanks
secondly star a different thread for your issue as you are unlikely to get any replies here...
and thirdly to contradict myself I would start with the gear linkages, the fact you are stuck in gear implies to me it is the one on top of the gearbox. they have a little tang that breaks off and can get stuck in the gearbox. had exactly the same issue with a fiat coupe recently which in the GT at least shares the same gearbox and linkage (not sure about the 147), that is one of the worst case scenario's but it is more likely to be this below copied from a thread by chilli.
p.s search function is your friend.
This is a brief write up from when I did it, sorry no pics.
The left to right movement on my 147 2.0 was unbearable - I was even contemplating going to the gym to build up my left arm. Honestly it took the arm of schwarzenegger to go from 2nd to 3rd. My missus was in the passenger seat and at it's worst I asked her to move the gear stick and she could barely do so with both hands.
I have never stripped much from an Alfa before (in fact I have cured my airbag light with AlfaDiag and solved my creaking clutch pedal problem and thats it) but had to do something so after searching the forums I found a guide - unfortunately I can't find it again so I can't properly thank those that posted the help.
Anyway the strip down was a bit of a pain mostly because I didn't fully know what was involved, and I think the guide was for a 156 so there was extra stuff to do and that the selector plate looked different but in with a penny and all that
Battery terminals off, retaining strap off, battery out, battery tray bolts out, battery tray wouldn't come out?
Removed fuse tray from housing, unscrewed fuse housing from air box and bugger still no joy, lifted fuse box housing from the battery tray, unbolted battery tray from airbox, removed front of airbox and filter, un-clipped air hose just before MAF, unclipped cables from retainers and still couldn't find room to remove battery tray so had to separate fuse box holder from battery tray and at last - battery tray out, phew!!
Un-clipped the relevant cable on the selector plate, actually it was the only one of the 2 I could get off, undid the 17mm nut that retains the selector shaft (I don't know the proper name for it) and damn was it corroded, sanded the corrosion on the shaft, sanded the corrosion from the housing, put the shaft back in the housing and it was still stiff, I hadn't realized the bush at the rear of the shaft ws properly stuck on, removed the seized plastic bush, fully sanded the shaft smooth, re-sanded the housing.
Grabbed my £2.40 worth of parts.
Installed the new bushes, greased my shaft (then got back to the car - oh err missus), fingered some grease into the rear of the housing, inserted the shaft, washer on, 17mm nut back on and tightened up, cable back on then the re-assembly of everything else.
Re-assembly was a breeze and I had no bits left over!!!!! A first for me.
I can't believe the difference, honestly it was so bad before and so good now, my gear stick returns to center when let go without the need for serious hydraulics.
If it wasn't for the information available here at the forums then I would have had no choice but to pay the stealers to sort it, the total cost to me was £2.40 which is totally amazing for such a dramatic difference.
there are a couple of other things it could be but I don't want to scare you with them just yet..the above is the issue 90% of the time.