What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 78 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Got my GT back from the bodyshop. Good as new. They even valeted it for me, which saves a job. Now off up north. 250 miles on a Friday night. Looking forward to the drive but also preparing for traffic filth.
ALFADOIT and joeymannero like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Finally got round to ordering a new passenger side door handle from Alfa Workshop. Could have saved myself lots if I had just replaced the hinge before the whole thing snapped. Live and learn eh! Not a job a Im looking forward to mind.

Also developed a faint rattle when pulling through 1st and 2nd (maybe 3rd). Doesn't sound like engine, more ancillary. But its coming from that general area. Doesn't change pitch or speed or get louder. Just appears around mid rev range. Probably nothing to worry about but its driving me nuts.

Soon to be ordering a Cupra splitter and Eibach ARB's Also be meaning to ask, does anyone know were to get decent LED bulbs for a decent price? Got some off thebay which had 5 leds per bulb but some of the individual leds started flickering.....suppose you get what you pay for.

SO MANY ROADS
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Lovely, congrats on the new motor, lovely colour as well.

Did you buy the jacket to match the car or vice versa?
That's my looky-likey brother-in-law, not me, I can't drive too far at the moment, so he took me to pick it up and swapped places so I could drive a bit of the Snake. Jacket came first, though he does have a Jaguar "S" type in the same blue, so you never know!
ferret-ears likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyD View Post
Many congrats - you've joined an exclusive club!!! Looks lovely - enjoy!

Chris
Thanks! It does feel special to have a GT, even more than the 147. Looking forward to miles of happy motoring in it!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJon View Post
Finally got round to ordering a new passenger side door handle from Alfa Workshop. Could have saved myself lots if I had just replaced the hinge before the whole thing snapped. Live and learn eh! Not a job a Im looking forward to mind.

Also developed a faint rattle when pulling through 1st and 2nd (maybe 3rd). Doesn't sound like engine, more ancillary. But its coming from that general area. Doesn't change pitch or speed or get louder. Just appears around mid rev range. Probably nothing to worry about but its driving me nuts.

Soon to be ordering a Cupra splitter and Eibach ARB's Also be meaning to ask, does anyone know were to get decent LED bulbs for a decent price? Got some off thebay which had 5 leds per bulb but some of the individual leds started flickering.....suppose you get what you pay for.
Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171762396558&alt=web
Boutght these, they work well
AO Member

County: Hauts de Seine

Member car:

ALFA 156 BENZINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Sprint View Post
Here what I' ve done on my 156 Twin Spark :

- Leather steering Wheel from Carsdream
- FOCAL 2 way speakers (front)
- Novitec aluminium doors pins
- Custom box air with BMC F1 air filter
- Eibach Pro-kit -30mm
- 17" Selespeed rims
- SUPERSPRINT rear exhaust
- 6 x 80 Watts RING bulbs

My last update
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Choc barrière 2.jpg (78.5 KB, 16 views)
AO Member

County: -
Hi I've got a 147 bought it last week everything seemed fine then yesterday the gearbox went and is now stuck in first gear anyone got any suggestions please? Thanks
AO Member

Gave Alfie a good wash and wax before putting him onto Ebay

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswhitey View Post
Hi I've got a 147 bought it last week everything seemed fine then yesterday the gearbox went and is now stuck in first gear anyone got any suggestions please? Thanks

Hi Chris,

firstly welcome.

secondly star a different thread for your issue as you are unlikely to get any replies here...

and thirdly to contradict myself I would start with the gear linkages, the fact you are stuck in gear implies to me it is the one on top of the gearbox. they have a little tang that breaks off and can get stuck in the gearbox. had exactly the same issue with a fiat coupe recently which in the GT at least shares the same gearbox and linkage (not sure about the 147), that is one of the worst case scenario's but it is more likely to be this below copied from a thread by chilli.

p.s search function is your friend.

This is a brief write up from when I did it, sorry no pics.

The left to right movement on my 147 2.0 was unbearable - I was even contemplating going to the gym to build up my left arm. Honestly it took the arm of schwarzenegger to go from 2nd to 3rd. My missus was in the passenger seat and at it's worst I asked her to move the gear stick and she could barely do so with both hands.

I have never stripped much from an Alfa before (in fact I have cured my airbag light with AlfaDiag and solved my creaking clutch pedal problem and thats it) but had to do something so after searching the forums I found a guide - unfortunately I can't find it again so I can't properly thank those that posted the help.

Anyway the strip down was a bit of a pain mostly because I didn't fully know what was involved, and I think the guide was for a 156 so there was extra stuff to do and that the selector plate looked different but in with a penny and all that

Battery terminals off, retaining strap off, battery out, battery tray bolts out, battery tray wouldn't come out?

Removed fuse tray from housing, unscrewed fuse housing from air box and bugger still no joy, lifted fuse box housing from the battery tray, unbolted battery tray from airbox, removed front of airbox and filter, un-clipped air hose just before MAF, unclipped cables from retainers and still couldn't find room to remove battery tray so had to separate fuse box holder from battery tray and at last - battery tray out, phew!!

Un-clipped the relevant cable on the selector plate, actually it was the only one of the 2 I could get off, undid the 17mm nut that retains the selector shaft (I don't know the proper name for it) and damn was it corroded, sanded the corrosion on the shaft, sanded the corrosion from the housing, put the shaft back in the housing and it was still stiff, I hadn't realized the bush at the rear of the shaft ws properly stuck on, removed the seized plastic bush, fully sanded the shaft smooth, re-sanded the housing.

Grabbed my £2.40 worth of parts.

Installed the new bushes, greased my shaft (then got back to the car - oh err missus), fingered some grease into the rear of the housing, inserted the shaft, washer on, 17mm nut back on and tightened up, cable back on then the re-assembly of everything else.

Re-assembly was a breeze and I had no bits left over!!!!! A first for me.

I can't believe the difference, honestly it was so bad before and so good now, my gear stick returns to center when let go without the need for serious hydraulics.

If it wasn't for the information available here at the forums then I would have had no choice but to pay the stealers to sort it, the total cost to me was £2.40 which is totally amazing for such a dramatic difference.

there are a couple of other things it could be but I don't want to scare you with them just yet..the above is the issue 90% of the time.

good luck
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

Cheers pal and where am I best putting this post so I get a better response? I hope it's nothing major the gearbox was fine before really smooth going into gears then it just suddenly went
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswhitey View Post
Cheers pal and where am I best putting this post so I get a better response? I hope it's nothing major the gearbox was fine before really smooth going into gears then it just suddenly went

no problem mate,

just post a completely new thread stating your issues,forum tools in the top right hand corner, drop down menu will have the option ''post new thread'' you are already in the right place 147/156/GT technical assistance.

this problem can be down to one of three things.

top hat bushes in the linkage on the actual gear lever, the gear selector/linkage on the top of the gearbox or an actual gearbox issue. fingers crossed its a bushes issue on either end because if the selector has broken inside the gearbox you are in for trouble..

also do a forum search as this is VERY COMMON there are some how to's with pics and part numbers I am sure of it.
AO Member

Alright nice one and I can't open a new post and I hope it easy to fix the gear stick moves freely but won't move over to right side like 5th gear and reverse? If that's helps a little I'll have to have a look with my dad
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
The GT is booked into Autolusso for the belts and associated bits to be done. I've also ordered some Mtec grooved & dimpled discs, Mintex pads and dot5.1 brake fluid. Next week is going to be good.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
Had autolusso oil cooler fitted on Thursday after leak got a little worse. Everything seemed fine until I moved my van this morning to get the car out of garage and noticed a good 100 yard unbroken line of oil coming from the garage and stretching down the road!

Knew exactly what it was, so I maually got the car out of the garage just in case, and there was a nice pool of fresh oil just under the cooler

Had so much trouble lately that's it's becoming a bit of a joke. After 3 weeks of hassels and big expense i was finally looking forward to taking it out for a good blast without having to worry about anything going wrong.

I just thank my lucky stars that it wasn't raining and I noticed the oil, otherwise I would have drove straight out and carried on non the wiser ...

Car being collected tomorrow by garage to put right, hopefully.
Just to update and if anything to get those with this cooler fitted to check their pipes. One of the pipes supplied with the kit burst
Good job it went when it did and so I still have an engine. WAD in Wolverhampton collected the car and replaced all the pipes with their own and topped the oil back up FOC, so a massive to them.

Despite the problem with the pipes, they do like the kit and the way it fits, trust me though to get a dodgy one..

Car going back to WAD in a couple of weeks to have the underside cleaned and wax oiled. Just £49+vat, the old mans getting his 159ti done as well.

3.2GT V6 - Gabbiano Blue - Jetfins - M-Tec Shortshifter - Wizard Cat Back - Rest standard
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Annual service time for the GT

Took the GT into Autolusso on Friday for annual service and for MTech short shifter bracket fitting. Wow, I can honestly recommend this little gizmo to transform the driving experience. The short throw is so much more responsive although a little notchy, but well worth the investment.

Thanks to Loz and the lads at Autolusso for usual brilliant service.
Chris
Krycek likes this.
(Post Link) post #1941 of 2913 Old 01-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

After a few days at the girlfriends in east sussex and getting the car blasted by gale force winds and rain and negotiating the utterly ****e road surfaces down there on the back roads. I got my car home and gave her a complete wash and detail. Branch fell on my bonnet as i made my way through the ashdown forest section of the bloody miserable journey. Amazingly not even a scratch. So all that detail and polish must be working.

Also have some more goodies on the way from Japan and Italy.. She should look awesome for the spring. Still saving my pennies for the 2nd clutch fitment in 5k miles. This time a bespoke unit made to Joel's specifications at JTD performance. Joel has the same stage 2 unit on his 500nm 293bhp 147 big turbo car. So fingers crossed this should be good for a good while when fitted.

Also waiting to make an appointment with Ryan at wizard to make my rear brace bar piece, for the rear of the car, after my seat delete a year ago. Toying with powder coating it red.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"

County: Cork
Garage
February Detailing competition now open for entries http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...n-entries.html (February Detailing Competition Entries)

Don't let the title put you off, it doesn't have to be a full detail, a wash & a clean will do, if your car looks good take some pics & submit them

Full rules here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...ion-rules.html (Monthly Detailing Competition Rules)
ALFADOIT and Simon_GT like this.
(Post Link) post #1943 of 2913 Old 01-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Little pic from today.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c96e4ac4-ee83-47dd-b71f-bcf4c67fd21b_zps5nmjqb1i.jpg (170.5 KB, 24 views)

County: Australia
Garage
Horn fixed and registration transferred!

I bought my 2005 Alfa GT two weeks ago and when I went to get the inspection certificate they failed me because the horn didn't work. Lesson: always check the horn when you test drive a used car! (particularly an Alfa).

Took it to the mechanic today and turns out it was the much publicized problem of the corroded circuit board behind the driver's airbag. He was able to solder the wires to reroute the circuit board and the horn is OK now.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
highly likely....I hope its done in time for you though (whilst secretly not holding out much hope)
Well I was right, as were you Joe....

Car has been at the garage a week, and so far absolutely zero repair work has been carried out.

Repairs we're only re-approved yesterday, based on the revised estimate after stripping off the broken bits and inspecting for damage behind the bumper.

It had better be a nice hire car they've got waiting for me!
(Post Link) post #1946 of 2913 Old 05-02-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Well been busy finishing off my tail lights today. To keep you up to speed, i never liked the orange tinge in the lense. So after a little research and study, i decided to get the translucent paint to tint them red. This job takes time to do properly and get the right finish. You need to have motivation and the patience of a saint. Lots of time wet sanding the finish after paint and lacquer stages. And leaving the newly sprayed surface to harden.

Anyhow today saw the last phase, final wet sanding and compound polish. And they really have come up very well. Took a few photos to show you the difference in my old and newly painted lense. I can honestly say the finished article has the smooth finish of the oem lense. Also with the wet sanding process i removed any raised letters on the plastic lense. And yes the indicators still flash orange. You have to be mindful of how many coats of translucent red you apply. I only applied 2 coats, and that was enough. The lacquer does a nice job of slightly darkening them anyhow.

Sorry i have no better pictures of her, i was caught out by darkness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12697113_10154562666648135_3176056021252405522_o.jpg (124.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 12615211_10154563026683135_4738177074549378325_o.jpg (61.7 KB, 10 views)
AO Member

County: -UK
Broke it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0769_1454712369045.jpg (25.2 KB, 19 views)
AO Member

Garage
Yesterday: Washed and polished her.
Today: Stood and watched the rain run of her glossy paint

Roll on Spring/Summer when I can really go to town on her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0064.jpg (182.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0065.jpg (149.5 KB, 19 views)
ALFADOIT and edraven71 like this.
AO Member

County: Essex
Garage
I have been tinkering with my new 147 1.6 TS for the last few days.

I have fitted a tension gateway so i can listen to my iPod. A great bit of kit. Very good sound quality. although the control through the stereo is quite limited.

I Treated her to a a decent wash. Started with bilt hamber snow foam. Followed that with their auto wash. She looked great and was tucked away in the garage.

Today she got new front wiper blades and a dog guard fitted.

I checked the oil and levels. All good.

Shes booked into sunnyside garage for a new thermostat and some other bits and bobs. They've already done the cambelt, water pump and cam variator. So far I'm very impressed with the service from them.

On the to do list is a new windscreen. As the current has been scratched by wipers.

Full dinitrol rust proofing.

maybe some new tyres as the current ones seem to drone at motorway cruising speeds.

I'm very impressed with this car. Its my first alfa and it has surpassed expectations. Comfy, quick and handles superbly. Im impressed with the quality of materials used in the cabin and it has all the toys I would want.

Only problem is that I have come on here and seen all the GTA's, GT's and 159 sportwagens! Which look fantastic cars.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericktom View Post
I have been tinkering with my new 147 1.6 TS for the last few days.

I have fitted a tension gateway so i can listen to my iPod. A great bit of kit. Very good sound quality. although the control through the stereo is quite limited.

I Treated her to a a decent wash. Started with bilt hamber snow foam. Followed that with their auto wash. She looked great and was tucked away in the garage.

Today she got new front wiper blades and a dog guard fitted.

I checked the oil and levels. All good.

Shes booked into sunnyside garage for a new thermostat and some other bits and bobs. They've already done the cambelt, water pump and cam variator. So far I'm very impressed with the service from them.

On the to do list is a new windscreen. As the current has been scratched by wipers.

Full dinitrol rust proofing.

maybe some new tyres as the current ones seem to drone at motorway cruising speeds.

I'm very impressed with this car. Its my first alfa and it has surpassed expectations. Comfy, quick and handles superbly. Im impressed with the quality of materials used in the cabin and it has all the toys I would want.

Only problem is that I have come on here and seen all the GTA's, GT's and 159 sportwagens! Which look fantastic cars.

The 147 1.6 twinnie is a fine car Tom, a really good one to get used to all the Alfa quirks on, sounds like you will look after it well and sell it on in lovely condition as and when you are ready. replace it with a nice GT,GTA 159, or Brera and the fun will just increase (funnily enough in direct correlation to the HP

In the meantime there is actually a lot less to go wrong on your car than on the 1.9 diesel (which I have in my GT) you can't beat a small NA petrol for reliability.

I would say get a GT when the time comes, but then I am a bit biased!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today