What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 77 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Repairs approved!

Only took me calling them every day for 3 straight days to get an answer... Now won't be in the shop until next week whilst I'm away on holiday...

What are the chances it's not ready by the time I get back?
highly likely....I hope its done in time for you though (whilst secretly not holding out much hope)

don't want to ake anyone jealous but as we speak Tom at turbo Dynamics is building my hybrid...! should be ready for fitting by next week and then the FMIC will go on and down to red dot for a re-map.

happy days...

splitter on today and my replacement connects2 bluetooth interface should arrive tomorrow..(first one went faulty in 3 weeks) fitting is a doddle though so should have in car telephony retored by lunchtime!

by the end of next week the car should be ''finished'' not withstanding a stage 2 clutch in short order.....(fingers crossed I can get a few months out of the stage one jobbie)
ALFADOIT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
front splitter fitted...
Nice splitter

IMAG1158.jpg
(Post Link) post #1903 of 2909 Old 26-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
front splitter fitted...
Nice Joe... Will help to channel air into your FMIC when fitted...

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12524008_10207437073177982_3294862132728603494_n.jpg (93.0 KB, 32 views)
Rachelba, joeymannero and Simon_GT like this.
AO Member

County: Merseyside
New lower turbo hose replaced today. Hole on top section fitted nice new samco. Goodbye whoosing noise.
AO Silver Member

well, Ed's and Damiens look nicer! I think the leon cupra one is a better fit on the 147 than the GT and Damo's is that beautiful custom made job, but for 40 I am happy ..

having been a coach builder when I left school for two years before starting my guitar luthiery apprenticeship I chose pop rivets as the choice of attachment, it elegant and tidy, however I could not get the cupra splitter to come out any further as the bumper curves round towards the wheel arch, as the bumper starts to contour upwards, had I have mounted it further forwards the splitter would have pointed upwards.

thanks for the compliments chaps.

ps lovely engine bay Ed, love the colour co-ordinated engine cover and hoses
ALFADOIT and edraven71 like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodnok View Post
AA man came out to charge my GT's battery yesterday morning; lack of use and it went flat.. He spent the entire time commenting what a gorgeous car it was, he took a number of photos.. then asked for a passenger ride to see how it went/handled.. at the end of a short test drive he was most impressed by the GT...

So much so he phoned me back at 17:00 yesterday to say he'd found one on eBay and was heading out shortly to buy it!
Such is the lure of the Gt, the only car that I've had two of!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
well, Ed's and Damiens look nicer! I think the leon cupra one is a better fit on the 147 than the GT and Damo's is that beautiful custom made job, but for 40 I am happy ..

having been a coach builder when I left school for two years before starting my guitar luthiery apprenticeship I chose pop rivets as the choice of attachment, it elegant and tidy, however I could not get the cupra splitter to come out any further as the bumper curves round towards the wheel arch, as the bumper starts to contour upwards, had I have mounted it further forwards the splitter would have pointed upwards.

thanks for the compliments chaps.

ps lovely engine bay Ed, love the colour co-ordinated engine cover and hoses

I think it looks great and a bargain at 40!

Have u got any more pics?
AO Member

County: Essex
Fitted powercut68's shims to my anti roll bar: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-roll-bar.html (knocking anti roll bar) No more knocking, well, almost none. At the moment I have a 4mm shim on the RHS and 1.5mm on the LHS. This may need some fine tuning, but it's greatly better than it was. Thanks pc68.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
I think it looks great and a bargain at 40!

Have u got any more pics?

thanks!

when the weather gets a bit better I will wash and wax the car and take plenty of pics ,there have been quite a few cosmetic additions both inside and out that I am looking forard to sharing(showing off!)..I will get pics of the underside of the splitter for anyone that is interested in how its fitted as well.

will also take pics when I fit the FMIC and do a full write up on how to fit, there is not one on here and how I could have done with it...
warniegt likes this.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Please take a few minutes to cast your vote to decide the overall winner for 2015 http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...ar-2015-a.html (AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2015)

Voting closes January 31st.

That's Sunday
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Looks good on the Gt, although it is surprising just how much wider that is compared to the 147
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Looks good on the Gt, although it is surprising just how much wider that is compared to the 147
it works doesn't it..!

Barry says you would have worked in Blackburn or Southport..? is that right Ed ?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
it works doesn't it..!

Barry says you would have worked in Blackburn or Southport..? is that right Ed ?
No was Durham,long time ago though.
AO Member

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Took my GT to ABL in Redhill to get the front wing and rear bumper repaired. Two separate instances of people hitting my car whilst it was parked outside my house within 3 weeks over Christmas. Of course they are both having to come off my insurance because neither idiot stopped and left their details. Looking forward to a 500 mile round trip in it on Friday once it's all resprayed and shiny again.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_GT View Post
Took my GT to ABL in Redhill to get the front wing and rear bumper repaired. Two separate instances of people hitting my car whilst it was parked outside my house within 3 weeks over Christmas. Of course they are both having to come off my insurance because neither idiot stopped and left their details. Looking forward to a 500 mile round trip in it on Friday once it's all resprayed and shiny again.

glad its sorted for you...people are so dishonest these days, if you hit someones car stop and leave a note,end of.

we all make mistakes from time to time but expectnig someone else to incur the cost of damage is just unacceptable..
imski and Simon_GT like this.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Thumbs Up New hybrid turbo

Quote:
highly likely....I hope its done in time for you though (whilst secretly not holding out much hope)

don't want to ake anyone jealous but as we speak Tom at turbo Dynamics is building my hybrid...! should be ready for fitting by next week and then the FMIC will go on and down to red dot for a re-map.

happy days...

splitter on today and my replacement connects2 bluetooth interface should arrive tomorrow..(first one went faulty in 3 weeks) fitting is a doddle though so should have in car telephony retored by lunchtime!

by the end of next week the car should be ''finished'' not withstanding a stage 2 clutch in short order.....(fingers crossed I can get a few months out of the stage one jobbie)
Hi Joey,

Dropping my GT off with Loz tomorrow (Friday) at Autolusso for service and MTech short shifter fit. I'm really interested in going to the next level with hybrid turbo and stage 2 clutch etc and would be grateful for your feedback on performance etc, when all completed.

Cheers,
Chris
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Gave the old girl an oil and filters change (almost due anyway and mot next week)
Been pondering this and decided to go ahead with buying somewhat cheaper oil and shorten drainage intervals.
Guys from my preferred motor factors hooked me up with some "their" brand oil the local garages use and meets the same specs the Mobil 1 oil I was using previously does.
My theory is that changing oil and oil filter more often will more than offset any possible quality difference in the oil.
This might be controversial, but I know there are others on this forum that do this too.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyD View Post
Hi Joey,

Dropping my GT off with Loz tomorrow (Friday) at Autolusso for service and MTech short shifter fit. I'm really interested in going to the next level with hybrid turbo and stage 2 clutch etc and would be grateful for your feedback on performance etc, when all completed.

Cheers,
Chris

happy to report back as and when its all done...

am changing out MAF,MAP and waste gate solenoid whilst I am at it as well as completely new vac hoses, my feeling is at 100k the maf is past its best as is the map sensor..I am currently getting intermittent power loss which is down to one of these things or sticky vnt , by my reckoning the cost of tracking it down could easily equal 2 hours labour, the cost of all new bosch parts for both maf,map sensors and wastegate solenoid is under 200, makes much more sense to just change them whilst its all apart.

and anyway the only way to get an accurate idea of what is happening is to replace those parts before the re-map at red dot racing, with a hybrid and FMIC on autolusso's map with new senors the pre re-map figures will be interesting as well as dictate where exactly things go next.

I currently have a stage one clutch and a new flywheel so expect at least a good 5-7k out of it yet before I go stage 2 on the clutch.

I have decided not to hold back on the power because if Joels 147 at JTD performance is holding up at 290BHP mine should be fine at circa 230...his clutch is a stage 2..even a new stock clutch should hold up for a good while on anything up to 210bhp if the map is a good one and not a lump delivering transmission killer.

Damiens must be pushing around 220 bhp easy and he got 7k out of the clutch,

as far as I can see the most important aspect of all of this next stage of development will be the mapping so I hope my choice of red dot is a good one...no reason to think not from what I have heard.

as and when the clutch does give up I will fit a drivetoque stage 2 myself, at this point I will consider the project ''finished'' other than hopefully routine maintenance up until the end of the cars life, i see no reason at all without egr and swirl flaps ,my own copy of multiscan and some luck why it won't easily do 200k

I have already decided my next car will be likely be a Guilia, given Alfa's predisposition of screwing up the first year of production on most cars I can't risk going anywhere near one till 2018-19 so another 3 years and 40-60k is required out of this car as a minimum.

will report back in a coulpe of weeks with the results..

Last edited by joeymannero; 28-01-16 at 18:19.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
"Also tried and failed to get the rear LHS numberplate bulb housing out" _The_Editor_ said:

I remember taking mine off some while ago now and it can be tricky - iirc what e-learn doesn't show clearly is that you are aiming to push (horizontal) the lamp unit to the left (it's left for both lamp units) against a spring loading to then allow the right side to lower and thus release the lamp. There's a horizontal groove cut into the right end of the lamp that sits on the bodywork (you can't see this until the lamp is out), what you need to do is to move the body of the lamp to the left by about an eighth of an inch so the groove can clear the bodywork. As e-learn says the way to do it is to use a flat blade screwdriver. Not to lever it down but I placed it in the recess at the right of the lamp in between the edge of the lamp and the end of the recess. A quarter to half turn will push the lamp horizontally and let it drop at the right hand side.

I covered the screwdriver blade with a cloth to prevent scratches. And I sprayed the area with silicon lube to aid movement of the lamp. If it's like mine there'll be so much crud holding it in you'll need to pull it out once you've cleared the groove. I also found I needed to re-form the shape of the spring to get it to stay in when I put it back.
Well my LED replacements have turned up in the post... Just dosed the area in WD40 to try and slicken up the action, and will be having another go at this.... If it doesn't work this time, the f**king bumper is coming off.

EDIT:

Given up again.

No movement whatsoever on the side with the blown bulb.

To add insult to injury, the other side slid sideways by hand without the use of any WD40.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 28-01-16 at 20:16.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1210
County: Cheshire
Garage
Well Happy Goodbye 147, hello GT QV

Picked up my new GT QV 1.9 JTDm from City Road Cars in Sheffield, traded in my 147 1.9 JTD Lusso for a fair(ish) price. Not just gorgeous looking, but FSH and immaculate inside and out. Had a little thrash over the Snake Pass coming back to Stockport, very impressed with the handling, even on 18" rims. Alfaowner silver sticker ordered already!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small_Snake_973.jpg (69.8 KB, 19 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo51 View Post
Picked up my new GT QV 1.9 JTDm from City Road Cars in Sheffield, traded in my 147 1.9 JTD Lusso for a fair(ish) price. Not just gorgeous looking, but FSH and immaculate inside and out. Had a little thrash over the Snake Pass coming back to Stockport, very impressed with the handling, even on 18" rims. Alfaowner silver sticker ordered already!
Lovely, congrats on the new motor, lovely colour as well.

Did you buy the jacket to match the car or vice versa?
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Well my LED replacements have turned up in the post... Just dosed the area in WD40 to try and slicken up the action, and will be having another go at this.... If it doesn't work this time, the f**king bumper is coming off.

EDIT:

Given up again.

No movement whatsoever on the side with the blown bulb.

To add insult to injury, the other side slid sideways by hand without the use of any WD40.
You could remove the number plate and cut an inspection hole in it. They pop out really easily from the other side. I did this when trying to fit my reversing camera, and failed to remove the number plate lights, plus it made it easy to run the wires. Makes perfect sense, it would be hidden anyway.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret-ears View Post
You could remove the number plate and cut an inspection hole in it. They pop out really easily from the other side. I did this when trying to fit my reversing camera, and failed to remove the number plate lights, plus it made it easy to run the wires. Makes perfect sense, it would be hidden anyway.
Hmmm...

I suppose that's an option.. Wouldn't want to go cutting a hole and finding something seized in the mechanism that requires the bumper off anyway...

What size hole did you cut? Got a selection of holesaws that rarely get used.. I reckon an 80mm would be just large enough to get my hand through and be covered by the plate...
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo51 View Post
Many congrats - you've joined an exclusive club!!! Looks lovely - enjoy!

Chris
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Hmmm...

I suppose that's an option.. Wouldn't want to go cutting a hole and finding something seized in the mechanism that requires the bumper off anyway...

What size hole did you cut? Got a selection of holesaws that rarely get used.. I reckon an 80mm would be just large enough to get my hand through and be covered by the plate...
I cut a letterbox shaped hole, as I needed to get at the non functioning park sensors as well. The ones either side of the number plate have failed. Driver's side one is accessible but the passenger one is covered by the bumper crash foam, damn! The reversing camera does a much better job night or day anyway

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today