What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 76 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Today I learned that trying to clean my diesel inlet manifold in the kitchen sink, before my wife got home, was a really bad idea. Fitting a new kitchen would be easier than cleaning up the mess.
joeymannero likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Next time it is going in the dishwasher.
AO Member

County: Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T. View Post
Fitted a transparent section to my cam belt cover so I can keep an eye on the belt. If a bearing starts to wear the belt will move across the sprockets, giving me some warning of coming disaster. Well that's the theory anyhow. Thumb screws release the cover allowing the tension and teeth to be checked.
Hi RT,
where did you purchase this transparent cover and do you know if its available for the V6 engine. It would be a great way to keep an eye on the condition of the belt, one owner over here has just had one go and the repair bill is over $12000AU just on the cyl heads and labour.

Allan

County: Cork
Garage
Please take a few minutes to cast your vote to decide the overall winner for 2015 http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...ar-2015-a.html (AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2015)

Voting closes January 31st.
AO Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelba View Post
Hi RT,
where did you purchase this transparent cover and do you know if its available for the V6 engine. It would be a great way to keep an eye on the condition of the belt, one owner over here has just had one go and the repair bill is over $12000AU just on the cyl heads and labour.

Allan
I've not heard of them being sold, so made mine. If you want to have a go: some polycarbonate sheet, a hot air gun to bend it, a jig saw, drill; and side and end cutters to nibble some of the original cover away. Rivnuts and thumb screws to hold it in place, hard 'rubber' as packing, and foam to fill the gaps. That's about it. I was pretty nervous, working around the belt, so protected it with strips of wood (for the drill) and paper towel (for the swarf).

With the engine cover on, it wasn't easy to judge if the belt moved sideways, so I added a gauge. When not in use it lives in the clip thoughtfully provided by AR on the header tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cam Belt Cover 009.jpg (76.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Cam Belt Cover 006.jpg (74.7 KB, 29 views)
baxter2308 likes this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Fitted LED sidelights after the front passenger one blew again, and cleaned my EGR valve & map sensor up!
AO Member

County: Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T. View Post
I've not heard of them being sold, so made mine. If you want to have a go: some polycarbonate sheet, a hot air gun to bend it, a jig saw, drill; and side and end cutters to nibble some of the original cover away. Rivnuts and thumb screws to hold it in place, hard 'rubber' as packing, and foam to fill the gaps. That's about it. I was pretty nervous, working around the belt, so protected it with strips of wood (for the drill) and paper towel (for the swarf).

With the engine cover on, it wasn't easy to judge if the belt moved sideways, so I added a gauge. When not in use it lives in the clip thoughtfully provided by AR on the header tank.
Thanks for that, I may give it a try.
Allan
AO Member

County: Herts-
Garage

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
That car park is fantastic (as is your car!) is that 3 Mini's a Beetle and an Uno, did you park in 1990?
Hahaha...agreed. Great looking 156...what a lovely car that was. Also, don't want to be a pedant, but isn't that a Lancia Y10, and not an Uno??
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks82 View Post
Hahaha...agreed. Great looking 156...what a lovely car that was. Also, don't want to be a pedant, but isn't that a Lancia Y10, and not an Uno??
Your right it is a Lancia, should put my glasses on
AO Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD SW

Today, actually last weekend plus Monday I've spent replacing my power steering pump, nothing pleasant to report however, managed the job with the happy ending.

The thermostat is next on the list :-)

(156 2.4jtd 10v 150bhp 2002)
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemmo View Post
Today, actually last weekend plus Monday I've spent replacing my power steering pump, nothing pleasant to report however, managed the job with the happy ending.

The thermostat is next on the list :-)

(156 2.4jtd 10v 150bhp 2002)

Thermostat is a nice enough job, assuming you've never done one on a car where it's dead easy.
In the latter case you're wondering why on earth it needs to be that complicated...
I came freshly from doing one on a PSA 1.9 diesel lump and found it a tad frustrating.
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Over the weekend I put the final touches on my wiper linkage repair (fiberglass job on the classic breakage point where the plastic inserts into the metal pipe, as per thread hanging around here somewhere)
Painted the repair matt black and installed the plastic covers back on, now that the fix has gone through some testing.

Fingers crossed the fix is durable.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Checked and adjusted tyre pressures on all 4 corners, recent cold weather has had a big effect so go check yours now! Should feel a bit nice on the drive to work now at least!

Tread depth and pattern looks good at the front (Infinity Ditchfinders, still got 3-4mm left after about 40k miles!), depth is good at the rear (6-7mm) but wear pattern is extreme on the inner shoulder!!!

My own fault really.. I replaced the Pirellis at the back because of inner shoulder wear and a stepped pattern - classic signs of poor alignment... Never got the alignment adjusted, and now I've pretty much destroyed a set of Goodyears in around 20k

Also tried and failed to get the rear LHS numberplate bulb housing out.... Read a load of threads here, read the user manual too... Can't seem to slide nor pry one end out at all! Gonna get back out and have another go once I've warmed up... Got fed up and came in for a coffee... Anyone got any pro tips?

Still waiting on the bl**dy insurers to assess the damage to the front too... Even though I've offered on about 4 occasions to give them a detailed list of all the broken parts!!! Hastings Premium is so far a big let down!

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

"Also tried and failed to get the rear LHS numberplate bulb housing out" _The_Editor_ said:

I remember taking mine off some while ago now and it can be tricky - iirc what e-learn doesn't show clearly is that you are aiming to push (horizontal) the lamp unit to the left (it's left for both lamp units) against a spring loading to then allow the right side to lower and thus release the lamp. There's a horizontal groove cut into the right end of the lamp that sits on the bodywork (you can't see this until the lamp is out), what you need to do is to move the body of the lamp to the left by about an eighth of an inch so the groove can clear the bodywork. As e-learn says the way to do it is to use a flat blade screwdriver. Not to lever it down but I placed it in the recess at the right of the lamp in between the edge of the lamp and the end of the recess. A quarter to half turn will push the lamp horizontally and let it drop at the right hand side.

I covered the screwdriver blade with a cloth to prevent scratches. And I sprayed the area with silicon lube to aid movement of the lamp. If it's like mine there'll be so much crud holding it in you'll need to pull it out once you've cleared the groove. I also found I needed to re-form the shape of the spring to get it to stay in when I put it back.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Fitted a new thermostat to the wife's 147 jtd. It could have been so easy, but no, ended up being a pig of a job, but it's done now and all is well again, not that the wife will even notice! ;-)
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Had autolusso oil cooler fitted on Thursday after leak got a little worse. Everything seemed fine until I moved my van this morning to get the car out of garage and noticed a good 100 yard unbroken line of oil coming from the garage and stretching down the road!

Knew exactly what it was, so I maually got the car out of the garage just in case, and there was a nice pool of fresh oil just under the cooler

Had so much trouble lately that's it's becoming a bit of a joke. After 3 weeks of hassels and big expense i was finally looking forward to taking it out for a good blast without having to worry about anything going wrong.

I just thank my lucky stars that it wasn't raining and I noticed the oil, otherwise I would have drove straight out and carried on non the wiser ...

Car being collected tomorrow by garage to put right, hopefully.
ALFADOIT likes this.

3.2GT V6 - Gabbiano Blue - Jetfins - M-Tec Shortshifter - Wizard Cat Back - Rest standard
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline 08

AA man came out to charge my GT's battery yesterday morning; lack of use and it went flat.. He spent the entire time commenting what a gorgeous car it was, he took a number of photos.. then asked for a passenger ride to see how it went/handled.. at the end of a short test drive he was most impressed by the GT...

So much so he phoned me back at 17:00 yesterday to say he'd found one on eBay and was heading out shortly to buy it!
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodnok View Post
aa man came out to charge my gt's battery yesterday morning; lack of use and it went flat.. He spent the entire time commenting what a gorgeous car it was, he took a number of photos.. Then asked for a passenger ride to see how it went/handled.. At the end of a short test drive he was most impressed by the gt...

So much so he phoned me back at 17:00 yesterday to say he'd found one on ebay and was heading out shortly to buy it!
😉👍
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Checked the scuttle drain and sorted out the scuttle trim which had never fitted properly. Jacked the front up as the car had felt a little 'vague' recently. Couldn't find any issues so cleaned the brake disk hubs and brake callipers and refitted the wheels. Gave the car a good wash and put a bit more air in the front tyres. Took it for a drive and seemed to feel much better so may just have been down to slightly low tyre pressures..... time will tell.

Did all that and then cleaned the wife's Clio too.....
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
The car hit all the 1's the other day.
AO Member

County: Durham
last week

Service and MOT at 83k on my JTDM GT. Top wishbones replaced.

Like a new car!!
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

GT JTDM - MOT pass & no advisories -great! Had laser wheel alignment done - slightly out on fronts, now all corrected.

This Friday - annual service at Autolusso and fitting of MTech short shifter. Will talk to Loz about further mods - hybrid turbo/stage 2 clutch etc. Need to get costings on all this and decide if worthwhile.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
front splitter fitted...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTfrontsplitter.jpg (295.6 KB, 39 views)
ALFADOIT and edraven71 like this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
front splitter fitted...
You tart
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Still waiting on the bl**dy insurers to assess the damage to the front too... Even though I've offered on about 4 occasions to give them a detailed list of all the broken parts!!! Hastings Premium is so far a big let down!
Repairs approved!

Only took me calling them every day for 3 straight days to get an answer... Now won't be in the shop until next week whilst I'm away on holiday...

What are the chances it's not ready by the time I get back?
edraven71 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today