What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 75 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Now in daylight and with studs out and the manifold off, I'm missing two swirl flaps. Damn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Lusso

Dreaded MCSF light up yesterday, popped in Loyd at Clovertech. Quick plug in, MAP sensor seriously clogged up, cleaned up refitted cleared fault code, running like a good un.
Big thanks to Clovertech, the best bar none !
AO Member

County: West Cumbria
Garage
Well today wasn't as good as the last 19 since I switched from the 156 to the GT, last night started with classic diesel rattle and no power, smoke....

Drove it to work couldn't get it booked in anywhere, so bought a bottle of Wynns, limped it home (was a little bit better once warmed up)

Was thinking EGR sticking or VNT sticking, and it's been lashing it down in West Cumbria so really didn't want to start messing about.

But it's all good, I promised the GT some new headlight bulbs I'd had sat waiting to put in if it sorted itself out and being Italian and vain as fluff it obliged

Happy GT owner again!!!

Think I'll go for a jolly to Warrington tomorrow no
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Just got off the phone with the insurers.. Had an unfortunate run-in with the discarded tread of a haulage truck on the M5 tonight

The damage is:
  • Front bumper split in half
  • One missing front NSF lower grill
  • One missing lower NSF chrome whisker
  • One munched intercooler air cowling/duct
  • One bent intercooler lower support bracket, not sure if it'll bend back into shape without breaking...
  • One destroyed undertray
  • Mid-section exhaust hanger welds detached from pipe - not convinced this one really matters, doesn't seem to do much!
  • NSR Handbrake cable took a beating, so best replace that too

Good news is that the suspicious knocking I heard when I was on my way was just the exhaust rocking about... One of the back-box rubber hangers had come off, and it was just swinging about making a noise... Also no damage to the inter cooler as far as I can tell... No whooshy noises, no oily mess, no smoke on acceleration etc...

Luckily the dash cam I fitted last Thursday was on, and caught the whole lot! Also rolled up behind the truck in the hard shoulder, got his details... Turns out he had a blowout, and I was 1 of about 6 cars that got caught in the resulting carnage.... Poor fiesta on Irish plates had nigh on most of the front bumper completely ripped off! All things considered I reckon I got lucky here... No serious damage to anything non-plastic and relatively easy to replace, and nowhere near the oil cooler!

Thing that was playing through my mind the whole way back home... If I hadn't have spent 5 mins topping up that stupid windscreen wash bottle before I left work, I'd have been about 5 miles down the road in front of him when he had his blowout!

Sure made my heart beat though!
EVEL likes this.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 12-01-16 at 20:52.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Just got off the phone with the insurers.. Had an unfortunate run-in with the discarded tread of a haulage truck on the M5 tonight

The damage is:
  • One bent intercooler lower support bracket, not sure if it'll bend back into shape without breaking...
  • Mid-section exhaust hanger welds detached from pipe - not convinced this one really matters, doesn't seem to do much!

Good news is that the suspicious knocking I heard when I was on my way was just the exhaust rocking about... One of the back-box rubber hangers had come off, and it was just swinging about making a noise... Also no damage to the inter cooler as far as I can tell... No whooshy noises, no oily mess, no smoke on acceleration etc...

Luckily the dash cam I fitted last Thursday was on, and caught the whole lot! Also rolled up behind the truck in the hard shoulder, got his details... Turns out he had a blowout, and I was 1 of about 6 cars that got caught in the resulting carnage.... Poor fiesta on Irish plates had nigh on most of the front bumper completely ripped off! All things considered I reckon I got lucky here... No serious damage to anything non-plastic and relatively easy to replace, and nowhere near the oil cooler!

Thing that was playing through my mind the whole way back home... If I hadn't have spent 5 mins topping up that stupid windscreen wash bottle before I left work, I'd have been about 5 miles down the road in front of him when he had his blowout!

What a pain, hope you manage to get it sorted without finding anything more serious.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
What a pain, hope you manage to get it sorted without finding anything more serious.
Fingers crossed!

I had a good poke about as far as I could... I can see where it bounced off the metal cabin floor a few times on the way under the car, but other than a few witness marks and some smooshed plastic bits I don't think there's a huge amount of stuff to do damage too...

NSR trailing arm has a nice pattern along it where it looks like it guided the rubber under my road wheel and past all the hub suspension components.... It popped up and knocked the backbox hanger but otherwise I think the rear is OK...

Could have belted the NSF lower wishbone and the subframe I suppose... But alignment/handling felt completely normal for the drive home... Drove about 65 miles on it on the motorway and it felt completely normal... Any slight alignment adjustments are usually pretty obvious on the motorway what with tram-lining/crabbing/steering angle etc... All felt OK... I reckon the undertray must have done it's job because there were no rubber marks on anything I saw between the bumper and the firewall...

County: -
Garage
Today i fitted a new thermostat to my 156 TS 2.0. Wow i gotta say, it was so rewarding to do that, now the needle goes where it is supposed to, and the car now warms up quickly. Very happy about this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 237
County: Moray
Knowing I have a replacement interior, I took a Stanley knife and cut out the drivers footwell carpet as I need to find out the scourge of water ingress. 😰
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAPAT View Post
Knowing I have a replacement interior, I took a Stanley knife and cut out the drivers footwell carpet as I need to find out the scourge of water ingress. 😰
Popped in to see Loz at Autolusso to book my GT Clover in for annual service. Have ordered M-Tech short shifter following rave comments from Damien and others on this forum - so looking forward to experiencing shorter gear shifting!

Am thinking about next stage mods - hybrid turbo/stage 2 clutch etc. Bit of a dilemma here - I really would like to go to the next performance level and stuff the expense BUT I'm aware that it may well be bl***y difficult to sell this beauty in say, a couple of years, should I wish to change the car (for another Alfa, of course!). I imagine it would be a very limited market and I'd take a massive hit on price - so would need to commit to long(er) term ownership. Do I really need solid 230BHP performance? - probably not with my 210BHP map. Then again........!!!

The car has done 31k (2008) and has been superb - has benefitted from a 'no expense spared' policy with Loz and his team at A/L who have been fantastic throughout ownership. Oh, Joey - Loz mentioned that you're going the hybrid turbo route (Turbo Dynamics). Perhaps you could let me know your thoughts on this - I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,
Chris
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Thumbs Up

Quote:

The damage is:

What a nightmare Ed - main thing is that you are ok mate! Really hope that it's all sorted quickly - but do check thoroughly for any 'hidden' damage.

Cheers,
Chris
AO Member

County: UK
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Just an idea.

To have a thread where we can share what we have done or bought or considered for our beloved cars "today" thread.

Hopefully this might catch on?

I will kick off..

Managed to align my front bumper properly...Big thanks to shiny car's guide to bumper removal. Once i had removed the front portion of arch liner the 2 torx screws were revealed and the bumper was easily aligned as it should be.

Did notice my oil cooler pipes looked a tad ropey. Will have to look into oil cooler options. Is upgrading the unit wise at this point? Covered the pipes in rust protectant for now. Better the devil you know.

Damien.
Finally inserted new K&N air filter today, final part after remap, updated down pipe and custom straight stainless steel twin pipe exhaust and have to say sounds lovely at high revs.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #1862 of 2909 Old 13-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Fingers crossed!

I had a good poke about as far as I could... I can see where it bounced off the metal cabin floor a few times on the way under the car, but other than a few witness marks and some smooshed plastic bits I don't think there's a huge amount of stuff to do damage too...

NSR trailing arm has a nice pattern along it where it looks like it guided the rubber under my road wheel and past all the hub suspension components.... It popped up and knocked the backbox hanger but otherwise I think the rear is OK...

Could have belted the NSF lower wishbone and the subframe I suppose... But alignment/handling felt completely normal for the drive home... Drove about 65 miles on it on the motorway and it felt completely normal... Any slight alignment adjustments are usually pretty obvious on the motorway what with tram-lining/crabbing/steering angle etc... All felt OK... I reckon the undertray must have done it's job because there were no rubber marks on anything I saw between the bumper and the firewall...
Bloody hell sorry to hear this matey... Hope you get her sorted soon. Keep positive bud, as you say could have been a lot worse.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Bloody hell sorry to hear this matey... Hope you get her sorted soon. Keep positive bud, as you say could have been a lot worse.

Damien.
It sucks, for sure... But I'm safe, and this is why we have insurance etc....

Drove it another 160 miles today... Other than a bit of noise where the bumper is split, it feels 100% normal... So I'm optimistic that it's almost entirely superficial... Who knows, I might even end up with a bumper with fewer stone chips that my original one had

Will be going in to the accident repair shop at the weekend hopefully (and I hope it's a half decent courtesy car I'm left with), and with any luck the third party will accept liability with no fuss.... Got the impact on the dash cam, pictures of the truck, Highways agency report etc... Like I said there's probably another 4 or 5 claims going their way so I'd hope they just agree to pay out....

If not let the motor legal arguing commence!
warniegt likes this.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 13-01-16 at 21:36.
AO Member

County: West Cumbria
Garage
As it's been said you're ok and bonus that the Gt is still driveable!! Scary moment but a front bumper with no stone chips on an Alfa is going to be a huge plus lol

Well thankfully mine is back to its GT best after the worry of the power loss, big smile on my face driving it from West Cumbria to a meeting in Warrington today

Oh and for any other muso's in the group now know you can fit a Hiwatt 4x12 in the back, just sold my big amp on the way down here!! Wsas worried for a minute I'd have to use the Landy to make the trip!!!!
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
A lot of coughing and spluttering last winter, and a lot more this winter, and the GT battery has finally given up the ghost.

Of to a local tyre center, and 70 (53 of your English pounds Sterling) later, she's all happy again
AO Member

County: Essex
Fitted a transparent section to my cam belt cover so I can keep an eye on the belt. If a bearing starts to wear the belt will move across the sprockets, giving me some warning of coming disaster. Well that's the theory anyhow. Thumb screws release the cover allowing the tension and teeth to be checked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cam Belt Cover 004.jpg (77.8 KB, 26 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T. View Post
Fitted a transparent section to my cam belt cover so I can keep an eye on the belt. If a bearing starts to wear the belt will move across the sprockets, giving me some warning of coming disaster. Well that's the theory anyhow. Thumb screws release the cover allowing the tension and teeth to be checked.
Nice neat job that
(Post Link) post #1868 of 2909 Old 15-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyD View Post
Popped in to see Loz at Autolusso to book my GT Clover in for annual service. Have ordered M-Tech short shifter following rave comments from Damien and others on this forum - so looking forward to experiencing shorter gear shifting!

Am thinking about next stage mods - hybrid turbo/stage 2 clutch etc. Bit of a dilemma here - I really would like to go to the next performance level and stuff the expense BUT I'm aware that it may well be bl***y difficult to sell this beauty in say, a couple of years, should I wish to change the car (for another Alfa, of course!). I imagine it would be a very limited market and I'd take a massive hit on price - so would need to commit to long(er) term ownership. Do I really need solid 230BHP performance? - probably not with my 210BHP map. Then again........!!!

The car has done 31k (2008) and has been superb - has benefitted from a 'no expense spared' policy with Loz and his team at A/L who have been fantastic throughout ownership. Oh, Joey - Loz mentioned that you're going the hybrid turbo route (Turbo Dynamics). Perhaps you could let me know your thoughts on this - I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris you should check out my thread mate. I am already down the route you are talking about. To get the best out of the hybrid and anything over 220 onwards you need a stage 2 clutch setup.

I take it you have had all the medial stuff done...swirl flaps removed...FMIC the right injectors...Brake upgrade. Got rid of the front cat? It can get expensive. In fact for me its been ridiculous, i went through my stage 1 clutch in 5k miles!! But you can learn from my mistakes. Also consider wmi at this level too. And free flow exhaust. If you consider future residuals of the car then stop now. It does not make sense! Plain and simple. You have to love the GT to go this far.. And the journey to greatness sometimes means patience. Things get pushed to the limit and break. You just need to crusade on and replace with better and stronger. There are stronger solutions for everything that can go wrong. I adore my GT and what it has become, but financially its been honestly comical. In hindsight i should have just paid more initially for a 300bhp factory machine. Even TTRS's and the Caymen S are easily within what i have spent on my fragile Alfa. Just to give you some thought while you are about to embark on this journey. If you plan on keeping the car, then its a great plan. The car can be awesome. The new turbo transforms the car, no doubt. I think Joe was pleasantly surprised when i took him out in my car. All the best mate.

Damien.
joeymannero likes this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Member

County: Hauts de Seine

Member car:

ALFA 156 BENZINA

Here what I' ve done on my 156 Twin Spark :

- Leather steering Wheel from Carsdream
- FOCAL 2 way speakers (front)
- Novitec aluminium doors pins
- Custom box air with BMC F1 air filter
- Eibach Pro-kit -30mm
- 17" Selespeed rims
- SUPERSPRINT rear exhaust
- 6 x 80 Watts RING bulbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp 1 046.jpg (144.8 KB, 27 views)
VO2Max, edraven71 and Simon_GT like this.

Last edited by Alfa Sprint; 17-01-16 at 21:17.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Quote:

The damage is:

Same happened to me when I had my wagon

Sportwagon (10).jpg

Trouble I had was it was a Zender bumper and alfa no longer stocked them and Zender no longer existed so insurance just replaced with a standard one
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEL View Post
Same happened to me when I had my wagon

Attachment 599929

Trouble I had was it was a Zender bumper and alfa no longer stocked them and Zender no longer existed so insurance just replaced with a standard one
Ouch... Looks like the damage you caught is worse than mine too...

Any trouble getting third party to admit liability, or did it all just sail through?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Didn't see a third party no stopped truck I think it had come off earlier and then flung up by something else as I was in the fast lane when it happened.

The tread just came out of nowhere, luckily my no claims was protected plus they put it thru as a non fault accident
AO Member

County: -
Have been working on car number 3 cylinder not firing coil OK plugs OK no power to coil don't know where the cables go to .
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Sprint View Post

- Eibach Pro-kit -30mm
- 17" Selespeed rims

Thanks for reminding us just what a great-looking saloon the pre-facelift 156 was .

Pure beauty, straight off the production line .

And you've even put French hi-fi speakers in too!
ferret-ears likes this.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Sprint View Post

- Eibach Pro-kit -30mm
- 17" Selespeed rims
That car park is fantastic (as is your car!) is that 3 Mini's a Beetle and an Uno, did you park in 1990?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today