What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 74 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1179Likes

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

Drove it.

After 10 days in a 1.4l Fiesta hire car, it was bliss!
ALFADOIT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Halland
Garage
(Post Link) post #1828 of 2932 Old 03-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Checked my sponge...

Damien.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Checked my sponge...

Damien.
Anything of interest under the sponges?
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #1830 of 2932 Old 03-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighouseAlfa View Post
Anything of interest under the sponges?
Just a used condom a few old lottery tickets and a cuddly toy...

Sorry buddy just jesting. I had a huge clean out this summer when i had a new windscreen fitted. removed all the scuttle etc.

Really true though about sponge checking. Especially those GT's that stay outside in the cold and not in a garage..

Damien.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Just a used condom a few old lottery tickets and a cuddly toy...

Sorry buddy just jesting. I had a huge clean out this summer when i had a new windscreen fitted. removed all the scuttle etc.

Really true though about sponge checking. Especially those GT's that stay outside in the cold and not in a garage..

Damien.
I'll take the cuddly toy if it's going free..

My GT wishes it had a garage to live in. Alas, it is sat outside on the road, with wet sponges.

I have sponge envy.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Checked my sponge...

Damien.
Hi Damien. Are you talking about those sound deadening spongy things under the bonnet near the front suspension tops? I cleaned under mine a few weeks ago and all seemed OK but are they a potential problem area for rust? Common sense would suggest so. Ta. Simon.
ALFADOIT likes this.

County: Cork
Garage
AO Member

County: Essex
Found that my non contact voltage detector (the devices used to find cables buried in plaster) can 'see' the injector control pulses on my 20 valve. Might make for a useful diagnostic test one day.
pendragonfalls likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Not today but at the weekend. Cleaned MAP, EGR and MAF, cured the MCSF that popped up on the display over Christmas, code suggested MAF but as it had been a while I did all 3. EGR and MAP were remarkably clear, those restrictor plates really help keeping the crud to a minimum.

Without wishing to tempt fate it's doing pretty well, it'll be 10 years old this year, nearly 150K miles and still on the original MAF, EGR and MAP. Exhaust back box is going to need changing soon though.

That lower bolt on the JTDm MAF never gets any easier to get at.

Pub

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.
(Post Link) post #1836 of 2932 Old 07-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Checked the new pipework to the scavenger valve on the exhaust. All present and correct. Also put some more adjustment srews in the corner of my new Cobalt splitter. I cannot believe how sexy the front end looks now.. I am in with the new look of the car. Really individual GT now.. Plus gave her a machine polish..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 221ccdd3-9d6e-4a63-b846-d74c83c1a28e_zpslfs3eaod.jpg (89.2 KB, 33 views)
Bazzabara likes this.
AO Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

MOT yesterday, requires two upper arm, which to be fair I had already guessed with the knocking on the front and some wayward steering, so had already order two Birth replacements. Also needed three new tyres so have 4 Avon ZV5 tyres being fitted today! All in all not a bad results since I bought the car last February all it has needed is consumables!
AO Member

Replacement engine from Italia Ricambi for my GTA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motore.jpg (77.2 KB, 28 views)
AO Member

Went for a drive this afternoon car run well number 3 cylinder still missing so eml on and the beeping car esteemed up so was looking for heater blower no luck pressed auto and front window emblem and the blower came on very weak but on could not increase it pressed the + - button nothing? Beside that car runs really great found a car I like did not cost a lot so might get it all sorted and keep it.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1954 View Post
Went for a drive this afternoon car run well number 3 cylinder still missing so eml on and the beeping car steemed up so was looking for heater blower no luck pressed auto and front window emblem and the blower came on very weak but on could not increase it pressed the + - button nothing? Beside that car runs really great found a car I like did not cost a lot so might get it all sorted and keep it.
car is a156 1.8 on a 04 plate
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Checked the new pipework to the scavenger valve on the exhaust. All present and correct. Also put some more adjustment srews in the corner of my new Cobalt splitter. I cannot believe how sexy the front end looks now.. I am in with the new look of the car. Really individual GT now.. Plus gave her a machine polish..

Damien.

Mini Maserati! Looks great!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Just got back from an M.O.T. passed with no advisories.
Very pleased as I was a bit dubious about the HID's, plus the emissions print out reveal very healthy numbers.
AO Member

Checked sponges, replaced RH parcel shelf clip easy jobs
(Post Link) post #1844 of 2932 Old 09-01-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Gave my Bella a detail the other day...

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e4d6a800-c0e1-48f8-9eac-2f6b4c62eae6_zpsfozika7v.jpg (98.3 KB, 35 views)
warniegt likes this.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Gave my Bella a detail the other day...

Damien.
Looking amazing!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

Garage
What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today?

Brushed off the snow! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452436623.917742.jpg
mattb84 likes this.
AO Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Today I marvelled at those cheeky Italian's sense of humour.

- Jacking the car. Fine if you are a franchised dealer with a 2 or 4 post lift, a frigging nightmare if you're a punter with a trolley jack and axle stands working outdoors. You use the helpfully-provided jacking point, but then there's hardly anywhere safe you can use the axle stands. Just getting the undertray off becomes a major job, since you want the whole front off the ground. And the front jacking points are far enough back that they lift the rear wheels too, so chocking is dodgy.

I still haven't figured this out yet, other than using 2 trolley jacks and then removing both front wheels to get axle stands under the stub axles. I actually have 2 trolley jacks, but the 40-year-old one is leaking and needs new seals.

- Alfa has too much choice, using Allan, Ribe, Torx and hex heads apparently at random. What genius used Ribe on the cambelt covers where two are absolutely impossible for any Ribe bit 'cos there's only 20mm clearance to the wheel arch? But hey, I can bodge, and managed it with a 1/4" flat screwdriver bit and a small ring spanner. Either hex or Allan would have been a lot easier. I'm not putting those 2 stupid Ribe bolts back.

- I am still hysterical about the alternator location. Ultimately that will have to come out as the one-way pulley is rattling horribly. Since I'm replacing the inlet manifold I am hoping it can come out from the top.

- By God this thing is complicated. I must have disconnected about 20 loom plugs and 15 hoses. The hose clips are bizarre, I can't imagine what sort of tool AR uses to compress and fasten them. They're bad enough to remove. I've ordered a big bumper assortment of stainless Jubilee clips to replace them.

- I bolted down the HP fuel pump pulley to retain the cambelt and removed the pump, anticipating woodruff key loss mentioned by many in these forums. Mine didn't have one to drop, it has a roll pin instead, less inclined to fall out and get lost. Well done AR.

- The vacuum oil thingy on the back of the engine - the gigantic lump with a rats nest of hoses, vacuum lines, wires, solenoids. Well, I got it off the back of the inlet eventually, but I'm not sure how it's ever going back on given the inaccessibility of the bolts. Alfa thoughtfully made 2 of the 3 bracket holes open slots, but I couldn't get the poxy thing off without removing the bolts completely. Not a good sign it'll go back easily. Very droll.

- I can now say with some authority that the CF4 plastic-and-metal Magnet Marelli inlet can be dismantled in situ, and that there's really little point doing so as the damn thing still catches on the HP fuel pump support bracket, just the same as the earlier all-metal manifold. However removing the plastic part does make it easier to see what's what. Looks like I shall have to remove the inlet studs to pull the metal part of the manifold out. No big deal. At least I can already see that my metal swirl flaps are all still there and firmly attached to their spindles, at 78k. Plenty of carbon, though, so it's getting a brand new manifold I got cheap on eBay. Cue discussion about de-flap. Despite all advice that the only safe swirl flap is a deleted swirl flap, I'm inclined to keep them and restrict, or perhaps delete the EGR. If it does another 80k or more, that's fine.

- I still hate working in the gutter in January.

- eLearn is nothing like a workshop manual.

- PS don't believe the claims that those Bluetooth OBD2 readers shut themselves off after 30mins. I left one in place, a Maxiscan 903, which works brilliantly with Torque. Bad mistake: in a week it flattened my battery, really flat - 7.2v I hope still recoverable, now charging.

Still, just the aux belt to grapple with next, the idler, tensioner, crank pulley and alternator, I am replacing the lot. It's all going OK so far, aside from the jacking issues.
AO Member

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Had a day out with family at Hampton Court yesterday after cleaning my GT on Saturday. Got to the Hampton Court car park and noticed that some scumbag has run into my car outside my house overnight...for the second time in 3 weeks. What is it with people? Nobody seems to care any more. This time the front offside wheel arch is bent and the paint is gone so it needs sorting quickly. Luckily my NCB is protected but if I have another claim I'm screwed. Security camera outside my house is on the shopping list.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Voting closes on Friday morning
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
It will go off by itself once you have done enough starts & drives without the fault recurring. The fault will still be logged in the memory, but it will be in the 'long term' and so the light will not stay on.
UPDATE: it wasn't going away (the light) for some time and I was planing to book a trip to a garage. The other day was on a long motorway trip and after a 30mph limitation there was an empty road so I did a good run in 3rd gear doing an 'Italian Tuneup' for 4-5 miles (smokey!)
Surprisingly the light was gone after half a mile. I guess it was some crap on a sensor, but will go and check with the garage anyway.
Pud237 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today