What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 72 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

County: Cork
Garage
Anyone got any nominations for the AO Car Of The Year 2015, more info & rules here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...on-thread.html (AO Car Of The Year 2015: The Nomination Thread)

And remember you can't nominate yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Two unscheduled under-bonnet activities on the way to work this morning, the first for many months; one for screenwash and the other to replace a sidelight bulb (I had a spare in the car and incurred only minor injuries) so it wasn't too bad.
(Post Link) post #1778 of 2909 Old 18-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Tried to fit my newly sprayed Alfa spoiler... Well i say Alfa, a replica item that was meant to be from the same mould as the genuine Alfa GT accessory item.

Was not even close to F'king fitting...Huge bow gap in the centre. Fuming... If Alfa didn't charge near to 500 quid for the original, i wouldn't have bothered with a rep...Who the F'k do Alfa think they are charging stupid money for their accessories? They build their bloody cars out of feathers, bolster wood and cheap metal? Penny pinching Italian morons...Rant over.. Stressful day..

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Sorry Damien - not getting it. You bought a non-Alfa part (spoiler looks crap anyway) and it doesn't fit and you're railing against Alfa?
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #1780 of 2909 Old 18-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Sorry Damien - not getting it. You bought a non-Alfa part (spoiler looks crap anyway) and it doesn't fit and you're railing against Alfa?

Sory Paddy just annoyed the oem part cost nearly 500 quid... Which made me decide in the end to go for the non alfa part one..

Needed to vent.... All ok calm collected and chilled now.. Maybe the Alfa gods were telling me not to fit a spoiler?

Damien.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Early Christmas teat for beloved GT

Day off work, wife out shopping, nice dry weather - perfect opportunity to spend a few hours in the man cave to spruce up my baby for Christmas!

Thorough wash and generous dollops of Autoglym and hey presto - beauty restored!!

Pics attached

Had the car almost 2 years, she's only covered 31k and drives like a dream.

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20151218_10_45_08_Pro.jpg (137.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20151218_10_45_33_Pro.jpg (159.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20151218_10_46_47_Pro.jpg (131.9 KB, 24 views)
(Post Link) post #1782 of 2909 Old 18-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyD View Post
Day off work, wife out shopping, nice dry weather - perfect opportunity to spend a few hours in the man cave to spruce up my baby for Christmas!

Thorough wash and generous dollops of Autoglym and hey presto - beauty restored!!

Pics attached

Cheers,
Chris
Lovely Chris..She is a bute..Another 170..

Damien.
ChrissyD likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Sory Paddy just annoyed the oem part cost nearly 500 quid... Which made me decide in the end to go for the non alfa part one..

Needed to vent.... All ok calm collected and chilled now.. Maybe the Alfa gods were telling me not to fit a spoiler?

Damien.
Well they're not my cuppa!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:

Pics attached

Cheers,
Chris
The GT shape just isn't aging is it?

ferret-ears likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Cheers Damien - I've been watching your project evolve with interest over the last couple of years - fantastic attention to detail and you've achieved great results.
Yep, mines an '08' 170 Clover, never let me down (touch wood hastily!) and yes I've spent a lot on her because I wanted to - not because I've had to. Re-mapped to 210bhp, Koni FSD's (OEM suspension is awful), poly bushes all over the place, silicon turbo hoses, EGR delete etc etc. Now looking at MD556 Stage 1 Hybrid Turbocharger for 2016 and that M Tech short shifter looks appealing too!

Really sorry to learn of your clutch problem - have you decided on a replacement?

Cheers,
Chris
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
The GT shape just isn't aging is it?

Not at all - got to be a future classic!
Chris
(Post Link) post #1787 of 2909 Old 19-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Cheers Damien - I've been watching your project evolve with interest over the last couple of years - fantastic attention to detail and you've achieved great results.
Yep, mines an '08' 170 Clover, never let me down (touch wood hastily!) and yes I've spent a lot on her because I wanted to - not because I've had to. Re-mapped to 210bhp, Koni FSD's (OEM suspension is awful), poly bushes all over the place, silicon turbo hoses, EGR delete etc etc. Now looking at MD556 Stage 1 Hybrid Turbocharger for 2016 and that M Tech short shifter looks appealing too!

Really sorry to learn of your clutch problem - have you decided on a replacement?

Cheers,
Chris
Great stuff Chris.. I think the Gt is one of the best kept secrets out there. Koni fsd's are great, you use your standard springs? I had them on my last GT with eibach pro springs and eibach ARB's.. Have you gone with the eibach ARB kit yet..? And yes you are so right the oem suspension is god awful.. My bespoke spec hybrid turbo really transformed the car Chris. Power is so lovely and she revs higher up the rev range and with no let up till the red line. Consider manifold flap removal though as this is a ticking bomb, especially when you up the power. Clutch decision is nearly sorted been a tough expensive little learning curve. The M-tec shifter is an awesome bit of kit.. Can thoroughly recommend it..

Damien.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Quote:
Great stuff Chris.. I think the Gt is one of the best kept secrets out there. Koni fsd's are great, you use your standard springs? I had them on my last GT with eibach pro springs and eibach ARB's.. Have you gone with the eibach ARB kit yet..? And yes you are so right the oem suspension is god awful.. My bespoke spec hybrid turbo really transformed the car Chris. Power is so lovely and she revs higher up the rev range and with no let up till the red line. Consider manifold flap removal though as this is a ticking bomb, especially when you up the power. Clutch decision is nearly sorted been a tough expensive little learning curve. The M-tec shifter is an awesome bit of kit.. Can thoroughly recommend it..

Damien.
Yes, using FSD's with standard springs, which works well for me. Will definitely get flaps removed with turbo upgrade.
It would be good for those of us based in the SW (I'm in Bournemouth) to perhaps meet up in 2016?

Cheers,
Chris
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:

Damien.
It cost me 120 to get my ducktail spoiler removed
(Post Link) post #1790 of 2909 Old 19-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret-ears View Post
It cost me 120 to get my ducktail spoiler removed
Really lol... And where is it now?

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Really lol... And where is it now?

Damien.
In lots of little pieces, as it had to be destroyed to remove it. I had to make lots of vertical cuts with an angle grinder 1cm apart (being careful not to go too deep and damage the paintwork, then (and this is what damaged the paint) I levered each small section with a screwdriver until there was a loud crack and the piece came off.
Seems it was bonded on with a hard black rubber solution.
The tailgate had to be repainted after hence 120. The spoiler was OEM and looked to be made out of expanded foam but in reality it was a rock hard material.
ALFADOIT likes this.

Running report for: Type 937 Gt 3.2 V6
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...reshen-up.html

My Italian car history so far:
MK1 Fiat Uno 60 S, Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV6, Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 ts, Fiat Multipla ELX 1.9jtd, Alfa Romeo Gt Lusso jtd, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 V6 Super, Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 Ti, Alfa Romeo Gt 3.2 V6

Last edited by ferret-ears; 20-12-15 at 02:21.

County: -uk
Garage
my first alfa

hi all
this is my first alfa .
ive got a 2001 156 sportwagon 2.0 manual .
love it ,, does have some minor problems but hey its an old car ..
already replaced front and rear anti roll bar links , 1 rear wheel bearing ,
front discs and pads had already been changed so has cam belt.
think front top mounts need doing as seams to knock when driving on uneven roads,
going to get the wheels refurbed in new year.
Simon_GT likes this.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Washed it and then drove to the police station to report some moron who drove into the back of my car whilst it was parked outside my house and then drove off. Luckily someone got a note of the number plate. It'll need a bumper respray. I tried Autoglym paint renovator, which I regard as pretty harsh stuff, and it didn't improve things. There's a nasty gouge in the near side rear. Gutted. Hope I can get some cash off her.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
1. changed one sidelight on the front (Halfords has a discount for GE ones at the moment)
2. replaced two short rubber vacuum hoses with bright lime green silicon (another lesson about using ebay ).

Managed to do it under one half an hour. Need to wash her...
AO Member

County: Halland
Garage
Although it was a HUGE pian in the ***, I finally got around to retrofit black hid projectors and paint the inside of the headlight black, beautiful result and car just got a brand new face!! The pictures dont do it justice at all, also painted the front calipers while the lights were drying and applied some decals to them aswell. Dont mind the dent on the hood the new hood and grille is in the paint shop! Next thing is to fit the cupra splitter and the new giulia qv style rear lip.. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450642605.954057.jpg[ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450642537.802439.jpgATTACH]592554[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450642496.737306.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1450642512.690331.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1450642526.665143.jpg
Egon, baxter2308 and Simon_GT like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Checked the oil. Cleaned the catch tank. Modified the washer hose from a suggestion on the 147 area, greased the upper wishbones (I installed grease nipples to see if I could improve a crap design....) And then thoroughly enjoyed driving it.
Yay.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Changed a blown brake light bulb today - that's a quid from the local spares shop - will this expense never end
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Got my 156 back on the road after an extended head-gasket replacement ..

Mainly due to lack of spare time ... but after what seems an age (and was probably sometime in mid-September) I charged the battery overnight, refilled the fluids and finally turned the key ... waited 15-20 seconds for fuel to prime and throttle actuator to settle and she fired up first time yesterday after my efforts!! 204,552 miles!! Took her out for a spin last night and a good 60+ mile mixed-driving round trip today to and around Richmond Park. Have a small leak on the heater hose from the metal water pipe so will probably swap out the jubilee clip on there once I'm sure it isn't just loose or the hose isn't split. (Going to be a pin to replace if it is .. it goes to the engine bulkhead!)

New head gasket, head bolts, new inlet and exhaust gaskets, new water pipe seal to block, new(ish) thermostat (changed in August when I though it had split!), and new belts. Plus lots of new nuts, bolts and studs which were showing their age.

My thanks to AlfaShop, Alfa Workshop and Shop4Parts for providing the bits I needed quickly ....

So next up ... stop the leak, fix the clonking exhaust (again!) and treat the car a very good wash, polish and wax!!! (When it stops raining!!!)

And get ready to put a few more thousands on that clock!

Old Alfa's never die .. they just get more fun!

Could not for the life of me get the timing belt tensioner right this time so bought a tensioning tool of fleabay for 4! And lots of fun to line up the balance belts and get them to correspond with the marks on the balance cams.
ARnovice, Simon_GT and warniegt like this.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Fitted the M-tech short shifter. 20 minute job with just the battery to remove, no need to remove the tray. It all went far too we'll that I convinced it would be rubbish, as I always expect the worst and a few here have said they weren't convinced at 1st.

Well, from the off it just felt right. The gear change is now as it should be, It has made a massive difference that I didn't think would be possible with just a small bit of metal. I was grinning from ear to ear as I have always felt the long throw on the gear change let the driving experience down somewhat.
edraven71 and _The_Editor_ like this.

3.2GT V6 - Gabbiano Blue - Jetfins - M-Tec Shortshifter - Wizard Cat Back - Rest standard
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
Fitted the M-tech short shifter. 20 minute job with just the battery to remove, no need to remove the tray. It all went far too we'll that I convinced it would be rubbish, as I always expect the worst and a few here have said they weren't convinced at 1st.

Well, from the off it just felt right. The gear change is now as it should be, It has made a massive difference that I didn't think would be possible with just a small bit of metal. I was grinning from ear to ear as I have always felt the long throw on the gear change let the driving experience down somewhat.
I was thinking about my short shifter this evening on my drive home...

Gotten completely used to the new shorter throw, couldn't imagine it being longer any more... In fact I could go shorter again

Lovely piece of kit, really complements the driving experience!
warniegt likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today