What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 71 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

(Post Link) post #1751 of 2909 Old 03-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Results after a 3 stage polish yesterday.. Wont stay like that for long though..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2d66063a-ee5c-4b7a-a753-5196509bf290_zpsbo4qphhh.jpg (135.4 KB, 34 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by R30CMO View Post
The Saga continues!!!!!!!

EGR plate fitted and I was surprised at the state of the assemble when I removed it from the car, it was pretty much brand new.

Before I did this the stuttering between 2000-3500 is now a lot better but not how it was. I've also added some more Millers to try and get the old girl back to rude health.

Any ideas what I should try next?
Italian tune up.. Floor it for 15 mins, watch out of cameras
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Gave my GT a huge dollop of TLC today. After she has not been cleaned for 1 week 6 days 7 hours and 23 seconds.

3 stage body polish, wheels off polish and Brembo calipers cleaned and polished. Wizard tips polished.

Will soon be hopefully receiving my gorgeous new light weight wheels. Set of OZ superleggera's 19x8. They will need a refurb before they go on though. And will probably go with some new carbon OZ centre caps to match my new splitter when i fit it.. All for the new year hopefully.

Damien.
Lovely results on the Polish!

MY Poorboys DAS6 Pro and Megs Mirror Glaze kit turned up this week also, so I'll be prepping for my first go at making her shine

Am I to understand therefore that you'll have a set of Clover's going spare in the not too distant future?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Major failure today on the GT

One of the plungers on the bootlid stuck in .

All sorted with a bit of force .

That was a close call
(Post Link) post #1755 of 2909 Old 03-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Lovely results on the Polish!

MY Poorboys DAS6 Pro and Megs Mirror Glaze kit turned up this week also, so I'll be prepping for my first go at making her shine

Am I to understand therefore that you'll have a set of Clover's going spare in the not too distant future?
Ed i love my shadow chrome clovers...They are going no where, sorry bud. The OZ's will be a little change. And when i feel like it,the clovers will go back on..Both will give me a totally different look.

Damien.

Ps, good luck with your DA. Take your time and prepare the surface well first. Wash...Clay bar. And then the cutting compound. You will see the flecks in the paint come through. Then polish and finish with a quality sealant.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Ed i love my shadow chrome clovers...They are going no where, sorry bud. The OZ's will be a little change. And when i feel like it,the clovers will go back on..Both will give me a totally different look.

Damien.

Ps, good luck with your DA. Take your time and prepare the surface well first. Wash...Clay bar. And then the cutting compound. You will see the flecks in the paint come through. Then polish and finish with a quality sealant.
Fair enough, my search continues

I've been taking advice from our resident detailer TommyWho... I'm starting with just the scuff patch on the bumper that I picked up last week... Will probably wait until next year now for a full body clay and polish... Gonna look great in the summer with a fresh coat of Autoglym HD Wax over mirror glazed paint
ALFADOIT likes this.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 03-12-15 at 22:11.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Quote:
Results after a 3 stage polish yesterday.. Wont stay like that for long though..

Damien.
That is some aggressive stance
Is that red detailing tape I can see on the bumper?
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Apparently today was Rosso Siena day.

Drove next to a 156 SW in that colour to work and while the paint was a bit flat it looked great.
Then a bit later I drove past a parked GT in the same colour that was obviously well looked after.

Both lovely machines...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by R30CMO View Post
The Saga continues!!!!!!!

EGR plate fitted and I was surprised at the state of the assemble when I removed it from the car, it was pretty much brand new.

Before I did this the stuttering between 2000-3500 is now a lot better but not how it was. I've also added some more Millers to try and get the old girl back to rude health.

Any ideas what I should try next?
Install full blanking plate and get it mapped out of the ECU. 150 well spent, no more EGR trouble ever again.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: -UK
Loss of power, black smoke, and smell of diesel......spent a good hour poking around, replaced a faulty turbo hose clip, still not right continues poking around and hooray I've found the cause......a copper washer on the injector of all the things
AO Member

County: -
Changed oil and removed a very rusty front fog light assembly. And made a quick how to guide too! (there isn't one in the manual and nothing in the internets)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db1ifL55HMw
GuitarJon and edraven71 like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Fitted red leather rear seats into my car today. It took just one and a half hours to remove the old ones and fit new back seats and side panels. Not got around to fitting the front seats yet as I've got to solder a connector onto one of them, and I've run out of heat shrink.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Fitted my new water/fuel sensor to the fuel filter today, following last weeks fun and games on the M5....

Managed it without spilling the contents of the fuel filter too

Quick clean up of the area with copious amounts of brake-cleaner and a rag, and she's purring beautifully (at least as beautifully as the JTDm can purr at idle...) again!

Now... about that nonsense "right sidelight" message.... the b**tard thing is working, so why are you telling me it's not!!!
(Post Link) post #1764 of 2909 Old 06-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

At my wits end. My new uprated clutch started slipping on my drive back home from the girlfriends last night.. So that was a waste of near 800 quid!!! so ****ed off tonight.. Looking at least another grand for a stronger unit and fitting... I think sadly i am at the end of my patience.

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

There isn't many options in terms of these pull clutches. My old tuned 10v, now owned by Craig from AL, killed an OEM clutch in ten months.. He's using a CG Motorsport Dual Friction in combination with a solid flywheel so if you want to know how that feels, I'm sure he'll happily let you have a drive.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #1766 of 2909 Old 06-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
There isn't many options in terms of these pull clutches. My old tuned 10v, now owned by Craig from AL, killed an OEM clutch in ten months.. He's using a CG Motorsport Dual Friction in combination with a solid flywheel so if you want to know how that feels, I'm sure he'll happily let you have a drive.
Thank Dan

The clutch i had was not up to the job... Absolute Foooking waste of my hard earned. I really need to address this.
Ned did mention solid fly. Think its the only way. I am looking at a potential 500lb ft in the future and i need to know it will cope? If not i am not even going to go there.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thank Dan

The clutch i had was not up to the job... Absolute Foooking waste of my hard earned. I really need to address this.
Ned did mention solid fly. Think its the only way. I am looking at a potential 500lb ft in the future and i need to know it will cope? If not i am not even going to go there.

Damien.
Ah that sucks dude....

To be fair, I do believe you give that drive-train a bit of a thrashing given the absolute torque monster you've got under the bonnet... Have you seen the dual-friction offerings available? Might be better suited to the big torque loads without sacrificing too much pedal feel...
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #1768 of 2909 Old 07-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Ah that sucks dude....

To be fair, I do believe you give that drive-train a bit of a thrashing given the absolute torque monster you've got under the bonnet... Have you seen the dual-friction offerings available? Might be better suited to the big torque loads without sacrificing too much pedal feel...
Thanks mate.

Yes indeed, lots of choice. I need to go hardcore. Kevlar based units. Ned suggested a fixed fly GTA setup. But again i am slightly dubious about the vibrations and noises i will endure with this setup. Fact is it would be a solid solution.
Then Joel has suggested a stage 3 setup. Same pedal pressure feel but more grabby take up than what i have now. And this will take a GTB turbo gut wrenching 500lb ft of torque. I need to get this sorted and make the right choice. I really fancy doing track days so it has to be resilient. Also as i plan to go GTB turbo kit at some point.
I wont kid you i did throw my toys out the pram last night. Amazing how 5 hours sleep does to help refocus.. Projects take patience. But i cannot be making these big money mistakes any more.

Damien.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
Drove mine on Saturday and it was 'all way motorway drive'. Soon after departing realised that the punch that is usually there after 2,000rpm was gone. Thought it was suspicious and then Engine Management Failure light went on... Not a happy bunny... But I did remember that last two times it happened it was due to split vacuum hose and then due to a sensor, so I was hoping it wouldn't be expensive.

Anyway, once I had a chance to stop and open the bonnet I saw that one of small rubber hoses had a split. I think the correct way to describe the hose would be the 'one that goes to turbo actuator'. Luckily the split was right at the end that I could see and very short one, so I just cut off that piece and after some wiggling put the hose back on. It drove nicely after that - as good as new

Lesson learnt and Ramair silicon hose ordered.

Small issue only - how to get read of the Engine Management Failure since I don't have that Multiescan thingy... or does it mean a trip to a nearest garage?

One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star - it's a satanic drug thing, you wouldn't understand...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks mate.

Yes indeed, lots of choice. I need to go hardcore. Kevlar based units. Ned suggested a fixed fly GTA setup. But again i am slightly dubious about the vibrations and noises i will endure with this setup. Fact is it would be a solid solution.
Then Joel has suggested a stage 3 setup. Same pedal pressure feel but more grabby take up than what i have now. And this will take a GTB turbo gut wrenching 500lb ft of torque. I need to get this sorted and make the right choice. I really fancy doing track days so it has to be resilient. Also as i plan to go GTB turbo kit at some point.
I wont kid you i did throw my toys out the pram last night. Amazing how 5 hours sleep does to help refocus.. Projects take patience. But i cannot be making these big money mistakes any more.

Damien.
Better it going slippy than having the pressure plate collapse like I did!

SMF conversion is a big step... Not sure it would suit me and my driving, but if you're after a track day monster then it could work well!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnovice View Post
Small issue only - how to get read of the Engine Management Failure since I don't have that Multiescan thingy... or does it mean a trip to a nearest garage?
It will go off by itself once you have done enough starts & drives without the fault recurring. The fault will still be logged in the memory, but it will be in the 'long term' and so the light will not stay on.
ARnovice likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
thank you for advice!
(Post Link) post #1773 of 2909 Old 07-12-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

My Bella today.. Thanks to Phil for the hospitality and car chat. Phil has an awesome GT a 2010 se final edition. He has had the car from new. Great to see both GT's together today..

Went to see Ryan the wizard for a little acoustic remake on my system. Fitted a small silencer to the rear of the system, as at high in the rev range she screamed like a banshee. Now she is a little quiet, so back to Ryan early in the new year for another tweak.

Also we discussed my rear half cage design. Ryan is a genius with metal and i think the rear half cage will look awesome. Polished stainless methinks. For a Porsche Gt3 / megane rs type rear race look.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95a6eb54-e3d0-44ad-b916-f8d7c26956a2_zps2exmrxkw.jpg (138.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 12304044_537733133069761_5697122185323919139_o.jpg (114.6 KB, 15 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Finished installing the red leather interior (don't intend to do the door cards yet)today before going to work. The front seats took almost as long as the rears to fit.
No air bag lights, no flashing odometer, heated drivers seat gets nice and toasty. Not had time to test the passengers one yet.
It all looks amazing, and the seat bases feel as though no one has ever sat in them!
ALFADOIT, edraven71 and Simon_GT like this.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Washed it and replaced the driver's wing mirror that someone ran into and snapped. Didn't stop either despite the Mrs beeping at them. T'choh! Anyway, got a second hand one from Autolusso. Took the glass out, swapped the red cover off my old broken mirror onto the 'new' one, smothered the aluminium pivot in ACF50 so it will hopefully continue to fold and bolted the new one on. Lots of people talk about levering the glass out with screwdrivers but that sounded a bit risky so I made a couple of loops out of long cable ties and put them around each end of the glass. I was then able to pull it out with minimal risk of breakage.
ALFADOIT likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today