What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 69 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Nothing to exciting but just fitted LED side lights and number plate lights. Just need to change spot lights for LED's and get twin angel eyes fitted.
She's going into the garage on Thursday for some work. New steering rack, handbrake cables, small hole in o/s/f drive shaft gaitor, tiny leak from gearbox end casing and finally manifold heat shield bolts have snapped. Incidentally if anyone needs a top garage in the Northwich area, check out Lawton Motors. Nigel who owns it, used to work for Mango's and funnily enough left because he didn't agree with their level of customer service or quality of work. He drives (or used to) a 147 GTA. Top bloke and really knows his Alfas.
ALFADOIT likes this.

SO MANY ROADS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #1702 of 2909 Old 15-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Managed to button her up late last night, after my 2 day long job list of cleaning the induction system, rustproofing the bay, removing and replacing the airbox with a new piece non maf side after a hole was found. Reconnecting a steering boot. And fitting my short shifter i received from M-tech. Also managed to rust proof and totally clean the battery tray basket bracket, which i removed to fit the new short shift bracket. So everything looks brand new. Also replaced the actuator breather hose which had been fouling on the turbo and looked singed. So i used a piece of silicone tubing i had left from my last car project, and wrapped it in heat protection sheath. I ended up positioning it away from the turbo this time. So all fine and dandy.
And last night i did her 5k oil change service with Millers finest Nanotech 5w40.
Also noted i was missing a chassis sill rubber plug on the drivers side. So rustproofed the area which had started to rust slightly and have ordered a new bung from Alfa. GT owners note, if your car is missing these important sill bungs water can get into the inner part of the sill rotting it inside out.

Also after removing the battery from the car, i got to thinking about saving some weight and going with a Lithium battery, that weighs less than half the weight of a standard battery. Thats a huge weight saving. So started my research.

Damien.
GuitarJon, CliveJ and warniegt like this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Fitted the short shifter, agree with Damien that it does make the change quite notchy although the travel is reduced, not sure its by the 30% they claim though.
Will give it a week and decide if it's going to stay on or not.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Huge modification completed today, It has taken a while (30 seconds!) but I'm please with the results. 3.99 well spent I think. Crap pic as I couldn't be arsed to get her out the garage.

20151115_145627.jpg
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Fitted the short shifter, agree with Damien that it does make the change quite notchy although the travel is reduced, not sure its by the 30% they claim though.
Will give it a week and decide if it's going to stay on or not.
Is it in any way adjustable?
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
Nope, just a milled lump of aluminium that in effect places the ball joint closer to the selector mechanism... Shortens the lever throw, but is completely fixed.
warniegt likes this.
(Post Link) post #1707 of 2909 Old 15-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
As Ed says it's a fixed bracket the only adjustability is the rod arm length. I changed the angle of my ball joint as it sat to far to the left. There is a small bolt at the end of the socket arm you undo then you can adjust the length and angle of the ball socket at the end of the rod.

Damien.
warniegt likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
As Ed says it's a fixed bracket the only adjustability is the rod arm length. I changed the angle of my ball joint as it sat to far to the left. There is a small bolt at the end of the socket arm you undo then you can adjust the length and angle of the ball socket at the end of the rod.

Damien.
Been out for a proper test drive with it yet?

I've shuffled cars about on the driveway today, and it feels much better when in motion rather that shifting about whilst stationary.. Gonna give it a proper test tomorrow on the way in to work!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

is it possible to cut the gear lever and make it shorter in height? It does stick up quite high compared to newer cars.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
is it possible to cut the gear lever and make it shorter in height? It does stick up quite high compared to newer cars.
Might have trouble with the reverse lock mechanism.. But if you figure that out, no reason why not!
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

not done much this week but gave it a good clean inside and out today after a trip to Hastings in the rain yesterday. A good going over with Autoglym Super Resin Polish and then the High Gloss finish to seal it. Nice and shiny now!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Been out for a proper test drive with it yet?

I've shuffled cars about on the driveway today, and it feels much better when in motion rather that shifting about whilst stationary.. Gonna give it a proper test tomorrow on the way in to work!
OK well took mine out for a blat tonight, does feel much better in use than it does sitting on the driveway, once you get used to it that is.

It doesn't feel as 'clonky' as I first thought but you do need to be a bit more precise when going for the gears, probably just used to the lazy changes before.

As long as the better half doesn't complain about it think I'll be keeping it on.
ALFADOIT likes this.

County: Wiltshire
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 156 v6

Upper wishbones on the 156 fitted yesterday. would recommend the TRW wishbones. They claim to be an 'upgraded design'. I know they're a common fault and have replaced them on previous 156's. I must say they seem alot more solid, they're a bit heavier than the ones that were on there. i guess time will tell

Also new track rod ends and wheel alignment, all in all its a big difference. next weekend its cambelt
(Post Link) post #1714 of 2909 Old 15-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
OK well took mine out for a blat tonight, does feel much better in use than it does sitting on the driveway, once you get used to it that is.

It doesn't feel as 'clonky' as I first thought but you do need to be a bit more precise when going for the gears, probably just used to the lazy changes before.

As long as the better half doesn't complain about it think I'll be keeping it on.
Great to hear Paul... I am looking forward to getting used to mine. I put some grease on he moving mechanism part under the rubber boot. Still not been out since i finished this weeks work to mine.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Great to hear Paul... I am looking forward to getting used to mine. I put some grease on he moving mechanism part under the rubber boot. Still not been out since i finished this weeks work to mine.

Damien.
After my drive to work, I'm in agreement with Paul...

Change is definitely heavier/harder than it used to be, but the notchiness goes away whilst driving... Easier to miss a gear too now, so be careful about where you're putting your stick! When you get it right though, slips into place with a lovely little snick!

Definitely a shorter throw, feels pretty significant to me...

Will take some getting used to, but I think I like it!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
I did this around 10yrs ago with my 156 V6. I was a bit of, ok a massive bodger back then so I just cut the shaft down then did the same with the lift-up reverse bit by cutting the same amount out of the middle of it. I then just super glued it back together with a bit of selotape round it lol.

It worked ok, but if I did it again I'd like to think I'd make a better job of it as it never felt that secure afterwards and I was always apprehensive when going from 5th to 6th as the reverse lock mechanism would sometimes come apart!
Charlie335 likes this.

3.2GT V6 - Gabbiano Blue - Jetfins - M-Tec Shortshifter - Wizard Cat Back - Rest standard
(Post Link) post #1717 of 2909 Old 16-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Right had some time for a proper drive and another fiddle with the new short shifter and definitive thought.
I lubed all the moving parts of the gear mechanism around the bracket and as mentioned earlier i changed the angle of the ball socket on the rod as it sat skew whiff on the new ball joint, so that done all sits straight and equal, and all is much better than before, and even sat in the car now without motion, gears are easily selected.
So out on the road.
She has been up in the air a few days now as i've managed to do a few jobs these past few days after having a few rare leave days from work. So tonight was the first blast out for a while. Went out to my favorite bit of testing ground where i live. Part small roundabouts part bypass where i could warm her up properly then give her a blat.
Right....bloody fantastic The short shifter is a game changer. The shortened time to change gear is monumental to the progress i can make now. Hooking up shifts between gears, with the hybrid turbo still on boost, its really given the whole driving experience another dimension. This will be so beneficial on track. I am over the bloody moon right now. The gearchange reach in oem, is let's be honest hilarious compared to modern german performance car short shift boxes. This has absolutely brought it in line with those competitors. It feels slightly more notchy because you are simply at the point of gearchange select now, before you had to experience gearstick motion before selecting the gear. But after that once you are used to it, took me 10 minutes, its second nature snicking the gears in. Happy days and thank you M-tech.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paul.jpg (71.6 KB, 43 views)
edraven71 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
There is a thread about doing just that.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...t-shifter.html (GT JTDm, short shifter?)
t3yls likes this.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Today my GT passed it's MOT with an advisory on a front tyre and top arm Bush is a little worn.

Full service done too with the boys from Alfa tech in Huddersfield.

Also fitted the lower turbo. Hose from Autolusso and the whistle, whine and sucking noise has gone. Brilliant.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Took my GT 3.2 to the local MOT station this morning. Picked it up at lunchtime to be told it had passed with no advisories, the tester said it was in good condition...not bad for a car thats ten years old on the 30th November!

Looking at the MOT certificate I have covered near enough 10,000 miles in the last year, a quarter of that on holiday in France in the summer. Worked out how much I had spent on fuel at 24 mpg and wished I hadn't....... It's worth it though
ALFADOIT and edraven71 like this.

County: -
Tomorrow it's time to change the grille badge from my GT.

Cheers everybody!

http://s10.postimg.org/8kj2b0k2x/IMG...822_185247.jpg
Simon_GT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Ordered the parts for the 72k service from Shop4Parts yesterday (filters all round, aux belt and associated tensioners etc.), ust got a message that they'll be delivered by 13:04 today.... Less than 24 hours after ordering, on a Saturday too....

Can't fault S4P and DPD! Now just gotta pop out to the Post Office and pick up my new tub of Fusso Soft99 and I won't see the GF all weekend
AO Member

County: Cardiff, South Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie335 View Post
Upper wishbones on the 156 fitted yesterday. would recommend the TRW wishbones. They claim to be an 'upgraded design'. I know they're a common fault and have replaced them on previous 156's. I must say they seem alot more solid, they're a bit heavier than the ones that were on there. i guess time will tell

Also new track rod ends and wheel alignment, all in all its a big difference. next weekend its cambelt
TRWs you say? Mine needs to go in for lower wishbones and track end rods. When they say they're an 'upgraded design' does that mean they're more hardwearing? How about cost, are they much more than the standard ones?

Thanks
AO Silver Member

Washed and waxed with my new tub of Fusso Soft99 - VERY nice wax to use! Easy on, easy off, use very little of it (one tub will last years!), and a very nice shiny finish!!

H2Go'd the windscreen too, as there was a frost this morning! Fingers crossed that'll be the end of scraping for the year!

Also changed my Pollen/Cabin air filters as they were last done 24k ago... Well the old ones came out looking marginally dirtier than the new ones going in... Certainly didn't need changing! But by the time I had folded and bent myself into the footwell I wasn't backing out... Wont be touching those filters for at least 24 months I think....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Freshly Fusso'd.jpg (191.1 KB, 27 views)
ALFADOIT and Simon_GT like this.

AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Traded the GT in when I bought an E Class 350 AMG Sport today.
First time in 6 years I've been Alfa-less.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today