What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 68 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Drove my boy to school in the drizzle. Lovely.

I have noticed the boot light started working again but the tilt sensor stopped. The Alfa god giveth and he taketh away.
Wait?! There is supposed to be a boot light?

(I'll add that to my list, along with broken cruise control and parking sensors )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunty View Post

(I'll add that to my list, along with broken cruise control and parking sensors )
Welcome and congratulations on your Alfa.

If the bulb is good then it's probably the microswitch in the lock. A cheap solution is to take the tailgate panel off and spray the lock liberally with WD40 and cross fingers.
hunty likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:

Cruise is often the microswitch on the clutch pedal. Sometimes it might even seem like it is connected and it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Welcome and congratulations on your Alfa.

If the bulb is good then it's probably the microswitch in the lock. A cheap solution is to take the tailgate panel off and spray the lock liberally with WD40 and cross fingers.
I did that with mine but found the screwdriver forcing the latch towards 'open' a little would bring the light on. Now it just works. Perhaps all that screw[driver]ing woke up the Alfa Gods.

Mine may no longer be 'mine' tonight. Two people coming to look at it.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Cruise is often the microswitch on the clutch pedal. Sometimes it might even seem like it is connected and it is not.

I did that with mine but found the screwdriver forcing the latch towards 'open' a little would bring the light on. Now it just works. Perhaps all that screw[driver]ing woke up the Alfa Gods.

Mine may no longer be 'mine' tonight. Two people coming to look at it.
How you finding the 159 Malc?

My old man has the 2.0jtdm ti in white and it's a lovely thing to look at and sit in. It feels a lot more 'solid' than my GT but doesn't feel as lively to drive, although as a commuting tool I would have it all day long over mine.
Wezley likes this.
(Post Link) post #1680 of 2913 Old 11-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Was near Oxford at Wizard HQ having the second part of my bespoke exhaust system built.

So what does it sound like? Well finally you can hear her. The car has character. I know it's hard to believe, it shouldn't be but she sounds pretty guttural, and meaty. Joels big turbo 147 properly motivated me to what could be achieved with this engine and i think i have a similar level of sound. The amount of volume is really something it's a properly really free flowing system..

A few things are to be addressed. As when you create such a huge change in backpressure as i have, you need to fine tune the cars boost, fueling etc. All the parameters have been thrown by this latest modification, and they will be addressed very soon with a live RR mapping session with Autolusso top mapping techie. Hoping to be fitting a 3 bar map sensor too.

The larger flow and bore exhaust should give me beneficial gains higher up the rev range when properly mapped. I was going to wait until the WMI was fitted, but she needs tuning sooner than later now.

Here are a few pics from today..Huge thanks to Ryans hard work. Absolute top bloke and bloody genius, very proud to have one of his beautiful bespoke systems on my car. Also Dan at Wizard for all his patience and guidance..

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby R 1.jpg (123.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg baby R 2.jpg (87.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg baby r3.jpg (30.3 KB, 95 views)
baxter2308 likes this.

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Nice addition, should sound mean as well. Do you still have an undertray fitted Damien? That FMIC lower turbo hose (which I still haven't fitted) looks very close.

(Post Link) post #1682 of 2913 Old 11-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
Nice addition, should sound mean as well. Do you still have an undertray fitted Damien? That FMIC lower turbo hose (which I still haven't fitted) looks very close.

Thanks mate. Yes i have a stainless steel undertray. And all fits fine to perfection.

Damien.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Thanks mate. Yes i have a stainless steel undertray. And all fits fine to perfection.

Damien.
I must say that I expected no less.

ALFADOIT likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Got an email off MTech saying short shift is on it's way, neglected the 147 a little since I got the GTA so looking forward to getting it fitted.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Got an email off MTech saying short shift is on it's way, neglected the 147 a little since I got the GTA so looking forward to getting it fitted.
Same here

Looking forward to getting hands on it!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Was near Oxford at Wizard HQ having the second part of my bespoke exhaust system built.

So what does it sound like? Well finally you can hear her. The car has character. I know it's hard to believe, it shouldn't be but she sounds pretty guttural, and meaty. Joels big turbo 147 properly motivated me to what could be achieved with this engine and i think i have a similar level of sound. The amount of volume is really something it's a properly really free flowing system..

A few things are to be addressed. As when you create such a huge change in backpressure as i have, you need to fine tune the cars boost, fueling etc. All the parameters have been thrown by this latest modification, and they will be addressed very soon with a live RR mapping session with Autolusso top mapping techie. Hoping to be fitting a 3 bar map sensor too.

The larger flow and bore exhaust should give me beneficial gains higher up the rev range when properly mapped. I was going to wait until the WMI was fitted, but she needs tuning sooner than later now.

Here are a few pics from today..Huge thanks to Ryans hard work. Absolute top bloke and bloody genius, very proud to have one of his beautiful bespoke systems on my car. Also Dan at Wizard for all his patience and guidance..

Damien.
This looks amazing!

I had just popped on here to say that I was feeling proud of myself for having spent some time browsing the forums and finding threads to help me fix my cruise control, mend the reverse light/parking sensors not working and to boast about having replaced my badges

I feel slightly inadequate now - but hugely inspired... This was only supposed to be a cheap replacement for an old banger that I lost in a Motorway write-off, but now I fear I've caught the bug!
ALFADOIT likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
This looks amazing!

I had just popped on here to say that I was feeling proud of myself for having spent some time browsing the forums and finding threads to help me fix my cruise control, mend the reverse light/parking sensors not working and to boast about having replaced my badges

I feel slightly inadequate now - but hugely inspired... This was only supposed to be a cheap replacement for an old banger that I lost in a Motorway write-off, but now I fear I've caught the bug!
Oh it happens, five years in now got 2 cars that I want to spend far to much money on and the mrs has declared herself a car widow.

But hey it's all good fun.
hunty likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
This looks amazing!

Damien is really pushing the boat out with his GT, and is getting some damned impressive results!

There are some much milder tweaks you can do though, and get a load of improvements up front!

At least that's how it starts
ALFADOIT and hunty like this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by warniegt View Post
How you finding the 159 Malc?

My old man has the 2.0jtdm ti in white and it's a lovely thing to look at and sit in. It feels a lot more 'solid' than my GT but doesn't feel as lively to drive, although as a commuting tool I would have it all day long over mine.
They are different cars. The 159 feels massively heavier. The steering has more weight to it too. Not sure if that's good or bad or even a potential problem.
I loved the agility of the GT, the seats were also remarkably good. Better than any seat I have parked my backside in ever. I already miss the seats.
The ride in the GT was fine on smooth motorways but everything else was just a bit too much for me (those seats though, they helped sort that out to a degree).
So the 159 feels heavier and I don't think I will have the confidence on a fast A road driving like in the GT.
I do love the 5 cylinder engine, it's effortless, very smooth and makes a very nice mechanical noise when pushed (for a diesel). It feels like it goes very, very well.
I have access to other 'toys' so a GT as a snotter was never my first choice and I always wanted a 159 or Brera, the latter four years ago were way more than I wanted to spend. Even the 2.4 159's, unless a high miler etc were a bit out of my price range so I bought a GT (because the looks are to die for ).

I guess I have the car for daily use I always wanted. This is so smooth and quiet, not jolting (over beetles crossing the road) or clunking. No creaking (though I'd fixed that in the GT).

I enjoy/ed both cars for different reasons.
Last and not least it gives me the option in the future to buy a V6 GT as an alternative to a GTV V6 (or if I'm really minted and stupid) a Maserati because it'll be different to the outgoing car. I don't like to buy the same model back to back. I did once because my ex made me , we divorced .
warniegt likes this.

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
I've obviously been away FAR too long....147 short-shift kit... I need details please!
AO Member

Today Matthew, I have been mostly doing oil changes: engine and gearbox (wow those gearbox plugs are tight!!).

So the official gearbox oil quantity is 2.0l, has anyone ever managed to get that much into a wet gearbox? I put the car up on ramps, drained the oil, put the drain plug in the proceeded to fill the box via a pipe and funnel.

I must have put in about 1.9l when the oil started to come out of the fill hole.

I put the plug back in, rolled the car to flat ground and removed the plug again and got another 150ml back out, so all in all, I've only added around 1.7l.

Does this sound reasonable or have I missed something?

A man cannot help his disabilities, there is however no excuse for being plain bloody stupid! (T.J. McKean 1982)
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo View Post
I've obviously been away FAR too long....147 short-shift kit... I need details please!
First production run has just been shipped, not sure how many of us got in on it.. But there's a load of them on their way over from Netherlands at the moment: MTech Short Shifter kit C630-SHift suitable for Alfa romeo, Fiat and Lancia with C530 5 speed and C630 6-speed gearbox - MTech Short Shifters
ALFADOIT and CliveJ like this.
(Post Link) post #1693 of 2913 Old 13-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So got her safely jacked up in the garage. Going to fit the new airbox piece, non maf side as mine has a hole in it.. Which i discovered a few weeks ago while fitting the new Autolusso silicone turbo inlet pipe. Also noticed my steering arm boot had completely detached itself from one end. Was just the zip tie, thank god, no tears in the boot. So managed after much fiddling to fit another zip tie and all is well again. Removed all my induction hoses and airbox and have cleaned them to ocd perfection. Will execute a bit of krust rustproofing while all the pipework is out the engine bay. And also give her the 5k oil change service with Millers finest.

Damien.
edraven71 likes this.

County: Normandy

Member car:

Alfa GT Q2

Bought my 1st Alfa this week, a 2008 Q2 with 100,000km but in need of a bit of TLC. Service, cam belt, a top arm and brake pads.

Replaced some dodgy Chinese tyres with some new 225/40x18 Dunlops today, wow what a difference! Quieter (much) more surefooted (much) and better over potholed roads. Very happy.
edraven71 likes this.
AO Member

Not that anyone really cares ;p - but I''m slowly working through people's advice on this forum for my 07 GT - it's an amazing place for hints and tips:

So today:

- Reverse light switch replaced (now I actually have a light AND a single, reverse sensor beep... So need to work out why the sensors aren't working)
- My replacement radio arrived and is working FINALLY. Just awaiting a code but I have power!
- Clutch and Brake microswitches arrived from the great dudes from Alfaworkshop (seriously, call those guys! They've saved me so much money just by talking on the phone) and I now have 100% - no intermittent problems - cruise control!

Just the offside lense to replace now, and to try and workout how to move the passenger window up a couple of mm's and I'll have a nearly perfectly working Alfa GT!

(Then I'm installing a Denison Gateway BT module so I can actually listen to some decent music and make some calls!)
edraven71 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Same here

Looking forward to getting hands on it!
Got my hands on it!!

Looks a nicely made bit of kit, will get it on over the weekend and see how much difference it makes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151113_214306.jpg (206.7 KB, 12 views)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Just the offside lense to replace now, and to try and workout how to move the passenger window up a couple of mm's and I'll have a nearly perfectly working Alfa GT!
have you tried the window reset procedure?

down ....10 seconds....up 10 seconds etc
(Post Link) post #1698 of 2913 Old 14-11-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Fitted my M-Tech short shifter..

First thoughts on my build thread.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new shift.jpg (78.7 KB, 16 views)
_The_Editor_ likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Fitted my M-Tech short shifter..

First thoughts on my build thread.

Damien.
+1 did mine today!

Also noticed whilst I was in there, a small amount of gunky oily mess on the base of the vac pump... Common problem?

Looks fairly easy to pop off and re-seat/replace gaskets etc..
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

Phase 1 GTV TS

Quote:
Not that anyone really cares ;p - but I''m slowly working through people's advice on this forum for my 07 GT - it's an amazing place for hints and tips:

So today:

- Reverse light switch replaced (now I actually have a light AND a single, reverse sensor beep... So need to work out why the sensors aren't working)
- My replacement radio arrived and is working FINALLY. Just awaiting a code but I have power!
- Clutch and Brake microswitches arrived from the great dudes from Alfaworkshop (seriously, call those guys! They've saved me so much money just by talking on the phone) and I now have 100% - no intermittent problems - cruise control!

(Then I'm installing a Denison Gateway BT module so I can actually listen to some decent music and make some calls!)
Have you tried the factory reset on the windows?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today