What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 66 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1175Likes

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
This stuff from eBay for whiskers http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...104979&alt=web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Yep... the joys of a week off work! Now my 156 is a joy to look at and drive! ?
AO Member

A quick set of pictures of my go at changing the old carpet in my 156 last week... very happy it all went smoothly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20151022-WA0002_1445880145536.jpg (67.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20151022-WA0005_1445880196245.jpg (60.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20151022-WA0009_1445880239317.jpg (51.7 KB, 26 views)
AO Member

County: Halland
Garage
Done some plastidippin today, really pleased with the results. Here are some pics:
Opionions may vary but the important thing is that everything is reverseable. Might also change the front dip slightly but havent really decided yet.. Also, retinted taillights to red, as they started to get pink and faded..

Please tell me what you guys/girls think

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445890390.777681.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445890418.873766.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445890459.511399.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445890486.076299.jpg

Last edited by Bazzabara; 26-10-15 at 21:27.

County: -
Lads I really would like to get a proper audio for my Alfa 147 2004. New radio and speakers. Blaupunkt is something I really want. But I dont have a clue how to pick the right option. Help
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzabara View Post
Done some plastidippin today, really pleased with the results. Here are some pics:
Opionions may vary but the important thing is that everything is reverseable. Might also change the front dip slightly but havent really decided yet.. Also, retinted taillights to red, as they started to get pink and faded..

Attachment 575898Attachment 575906Attachment 575914Attachment 575922
I prefer the chrome but the black does look good. I'm toying with a full wrap or even a Plastidip of the whole car. Professionally, I'm not doing it myself. Just not sure about a Plastidip car. They also put a coat of shiny stuff over it and you can polish it as you would paint.
Not sure what you do with vinyl wrap? Can you or do you need to polish it?
I want a red one, gone right orrrf black.
AO Member

County: UK
Quote:

Attachment 575898Attachment 575906Attachment 575914Attachment 575922
I like it, moreso the front than the back.

The plasticoat, does it peel off easily, how hard wearing is it? I have a can of Matt black in the garage that I may use somewhere.
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Fitted new rubbers to my momo gt pedals. No more slippy pedals now I hope.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic2115 View Post
Going to give this stuff ago as I have lost half of one of mine when I parked face on to a curb, there was no sign of the bumper rubbing when I parked but made a right mess when I pulled back out of the space again!
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
I prefer the chrome but the black does look good. I'm toying with a full wrap or even a Plastidip of the whole car. Professionally, I'm not doing it myself. Just not sure about a Plastidip car. They also put a coat of shiny stuff over it and you can polish it as you would paint.
Not sure what you do with vinyl wrap? Can you or do you need to polish it?
I want a red one, gone right orrrf black.
I do prefer the chrome myself aswell, but as you can see if you look closely that my front grill is actually missing a part and a little bit broken since some A-hole backed up to the car and broke the front grill and made a dent to the hood..I thought if I make the grill black temporarily until I get a new one it would be less noticeable, which it is.

Well Im not to sure about plastidipping the whole car, even if you put the clearcoat over it, it just doesnt get the same shine as you do with wrapping or regular paint, and I would personally absolutely not polish a dipped car..

About polishing wrapped car, I guess you could do it as long as the wrap has a clear finish and you are not using abrasive cutting compounds, just mild polishing compounds and wax..
Wezley likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james6546 View Post
I like it, moreso the front than the back.

The plasticoat, does it peel off easily, how hard wearing is it? I have a can of Matt black in the garage that I may use somewhere.
Thanks!

The plasticoat peels of easily as long as you put a good amount of coats on, I usually put around 4-5 coats which makes the dip thick and easier to remove. About the war and tear, I had some on the front grill of my bmw for almost 2 and a half years and it was still perfect! It did have some scuffs but that actually protected the paint underneath..

One thing to note when dipping a car, If you plan to contour dip like I did on parts that are smooth and that do not have any edges or creases like the front lower bumper on my car, than you have to put a thick coat right away and remove the masking tape before the plasticoat dries or else the masking tape will rip the plasticoat.. This is the hardest part since it can be hard to put 4-5 coats straight away and not have the coat drip and run down the paint, I did have to practice a couple of times myself, but there are good tutorials on youtube so just check them out before you start dipping.

Last edited by Bazzabara; 27-10-15 at 13:16.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 2.4 20v

Fixed the air con on my 156 due to a pin sized hole in a metal pipe, replaced pipe and now have fully working air con

Have tried to do the air filter while the battery was off and tray was out but no luck, 2 of the 3 screws and rusted to hell and rounded off, one came out without issue but still couldn't get the lid off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1445949032996.jpg (91.4 KB, 20 views)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Wrapping or dipping. I know a bit about wrapping but [Plasti] dipping. Anyone any experience?
Yep. I'm on my third colour on the GT for plastidipping.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic2115 View Post
Going to give this stuff ago as I have lost half of one of mine when I parked face on to a curb, there was no sign of the bumper rubbing when I parked but made a right mess when I pulled back out of the space again!
Unlucky!
It worked a treat to be fair, I made up a quick paper template then I cut as needed with my friend Stanley. As you already have an original one left it will easy for you to template it and make another.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Thanks!

The plasticoat peels of easily as long as you put a good amount of coats on, I usually put around 4-5 coats which makes the dip thick and easier to remove. About the war and tear, I had some on the front grill of my bmw for almost 2 and a half years and it was still perfect! It did have some scuffs but that actually protected the paint underneath..

One thing to note when dipping a car, If you plan to contour dip like I did on parts that are smooth and that do not have any edges or creases like the front lower bumper on my car, than you have to put a thick coat right away and remove the masking tape before the plasticoat dries or else the masking tape will rip the plasticoat.. This is the hardest part since it can be hard to put 4-5 coats straight away and not have the coat drip and run down the paint, I did have to practice a couple of times myself, but there are good tutorials on youtube so just check them out before you start dipping.
Sounds good. I don't have the patience or skill to do it myself. It'd be done by somebody else (professional).

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
Yep. I'm on my third colour on the GT for plastidipping.
How long does it last? Is it durable? I'm thinking of stone chips and such. On a regular painted car you touch up etc. What if anything do you do on a PlastiDipped car? Do they chip?

Some of this applies to wrapping too I guess. I have seen companies suggesting five years for wrapping. That would see me well past the car.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
How long does it last? Is it durable? I'm thinking of stone chips and such. On a regular painted car you touch up etc. What if anything do you do on a PlastiDipped car? Do they chip?

Some of this applies to wrapping too I guess. I have seen companies suggesting five years for wrapping. That would see me well past the car.
it lasts forever and doesn't peel
very durable - you can jet wash it
stone chips - great for that - no it doesn't chip

if you have a bare finish, it can scuff if you scrape a bag on it for example. A touch up is easy, just spray over it. It needs to be cleaned with a smooth sponge, so can't use a mitt for example. Not suitable for wheels IMO as brake dust sticks to it.

I now have an acrylic covering, which turns it from matt to a silk finish (in between matt and gloss). This makes cleaning the wheels super easy as the brake dust doesn't stick. It will still peel off with the acrylic finish.

If I had a new car, first thing i'd do is get a clear coat on the front of it.
I'm in prestwich, you're welcome to come over and have a chat if you are thinking about it.
Wezley likes this.
AO Member

Garage
They do chip but you touch them up just like you would regular paint, only you touch them up with plastidip insted, and yes it does protect the paint underneath quite well actually, the thicker the coat the more protection you get...
Wezley likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
They do chip but you touch them up just like you would regular paint, only you touch them up with plastidip insted, and yes it does protect the paint underneath quite well actually, the thicker the coat the more protection you get...
I don't know how you are chipping rubber because its not brittle. You can scratch it, but not chip it.
AO Member

Garage
What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today?

Quote:
I don't know how you are chipping rubber because its not brittle. You can scratch it, but not chip it.

Idk either but it does chip.. See:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446059242.584660.jpg

Last edited by Bazzabara; 28-10-15 at 21:03.
AO Member

Garage
What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today?

These are the biggest ones, there are alot of tiny ones too, but ive had it on for almost 3 years now...

Last edited by Bazzabara; 28-10-15 at 21:03.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
These are the biggest ones, there are alot of tiny ones too, but ive had it on for almost 3 years now...
I think you needed more coats, it looks too thin. i think you would have problems peeling that off.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
I think you needed more coats, it looks too thin. i think you would have problems peeling that off.
Maybe so, it was afterall the beginning of my plastidipping career..
t3yls likes this.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
it lasts forever and doesn't peel
very durable - you can jet wash it
stone chips - great for that - no it doesn't chip

if you have a bare finish, it can scuff if you scrape a bag on it for example. A touch up is easy, just spray over it. It needs to be cleaned with a smooth sponge, so can't use a mitt for example. Not suitable for wheels IMO as brake dust sticks to it.

I now have an acrylic covering, which turns it from matt to a silk finish (in between matt and gloss). This makes cleaning the wheels super easy as the brake dust doesn't stick. It will still peel off with the acrylic finish.

If I had a new car, first thing i'd do is get a clear coat on the front of it.
I'm in prestwich, you're welcome to come over and have a chat if you are thinking about it.
Cheers (and Bazzabara). I may well at some point take you up on that.
Bazzabara likes this.
(Post Link) post #1649 of 2917 Old 29-10-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Just got home after 3 days away to find my newly Alcantara covered steering wheel and gearknob waiting for me...God its lush...

Pictures later..

Damien.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Need to get under the bonnet this weekend to see if I can finally get the bolt out holding the intake to the inlet on my TS (cam belt end). If I had a lift or pit I might be able to see if from underneath .. I doubt it given the power-steering pump and alternator is in direct line .. but a couple of axles stands ain't that clever!

Going to try a cut-down box wrench ...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today