What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 65 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1179Likes

County: North Yorkshire / Cleveland
Garage
Smoked side repeaters!

I was stuck between these and the clear ones, but I thought seen as though the front ones are already smoked then these would fit in nicely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151018_151403.jpg (191.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20151018_151412.jpg (127.6 KB, 21 views)
edraven71 and Simon_GT like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

with MOT booked for Thursday I had a quick look round for any obvious fails and saw both sidelights out!!!

They were canbus LEDs fitted about a year ago (really cheap Chinese ones off ebay). Even though the lights were out the canbus fooling resistor was still operating so no warning on the dash. I've put some halogens back in from the local car parts shop - no time to source new LEDs before MOT - they look really sad and yellow alongside the nice white HIDs. I'll get some more reliable ones next time. Who can recommend some?
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
with MOT booked for Thursday I had a quick look round for any obvious fails and saw both sidelights out!!!

They were canbus LEDs fitted about a year ago (really cheap Chinese ones off ebay). Even though the lights were out the canbus fooling resistor was still operating so no warning on the dash. I've put some halogens back in from the local car parts shop - no time to source new LEDs before MOT - they look really sad and yellow alongside the nice white HIDs. I'll get some more reliable ones next time. Who can recommend some?
Other way around for me. Nice white LED sidelights and yellow headlights
These 100% brighter bulbs are just taking the ****. I'd love to know what their dimmest bulbs are to say these are 100% better.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
These 100% brighter bulbs are just taking the ****. I'd love to know what their dimmest bulbs are to say these are 100% better.
The only thing dim is the people buying them
Wezley likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob130195 View Post
I was stuck between these and the clear ones, but I thought seen as though the front ones are already smoked then these would fit in nicely!

Put some smokey one on mine , wasn't sure at first but like 'em now.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
The only thing dim is the people buying them
Why thankyou... however the bulbs are definitely dim too!
AO Member

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

MalcQV said "Other way around for me. Nice white LED sidelights and yellow headlights"

what ones did you buy and how long have they lasted?

The only real answer to yellow headlamps is HIDs or maybe the very latest thing LED headlamps.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
MalcQV said "Other way around for me. Nice white LED sidelights and yellow headlights"

what ones did you buy and how long have they lasted?

The only real answer to yellow headlamps is HIDs or maybe the very latest thing LED headlamps.
I've had them in for over 6 months and bought them sometime before that. I'd have to search through Ebay archive. I'll look later but can't promise anything.
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8 TS

Changed air filter. Drilling was involved. How long do you think this filter has been on car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151022_154039_HDR-1_1445560722776.jpg (31.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20151022_154011_HDR-1_1445560741886.jpg (38.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20151022_154024_HDR-1_1445560797757.jpg (45.5 KB, 8 views)
Simon_GT likes this.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
That filter hasn't been changed at the last service. I bet the garage charged you for it as well? I had the same problem with spark plugs on my 156 V6. Garage charge for 6 plugs and a good length of time to do the job. This time I did my own service and the front spark plugs had been changed.
The rear ones (which are harder to get at) were a rusty mess and hadn't been changed for years! It really infuriates me that garages are too lazy to do a proper job (and this was a reputable garage too). They should be named and shamed on here in a new thread on poor services!
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl702123 View Post
That filter hasn't been changed at the last service. I bet the garage charged you for it as well? I had the same problem with spark plugs on my 156 V6. Garage charge for 6 plugs and a good length of time to do the job. This time I did my own service and the front spark plugs had been changed.
The rear ones (which are harder to get at) were a rusty mess and hadn't been changed for years! It really infuriates me that garages are too lazy to do a proper job (and this was a reputable garage too). They should be named and shamed on here in a new thread on poor services!
My thoughts as well. Have used for several years and after a break in Alfa ownership returned to using them a couple of years ago.

I now worry about what else they may have not done that I have paid for. Like tensioners, variators, waterpumps etc on the cambelt changes.

Won't name and shame, but may give them a call!
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
My thoughts as well. Have used for several years and after a break in Alfa ownership returned to using them a couple of years ago.

I now worry about what else they may have not done that I have paid for. Like tensioners, variators, waterpumps etc on the cambelt changes.

Won't name and shame, but may give them a call!
Note to self. Get the old parts off them next time.

I use another mechanic who unfortunately hates Alfa's, he's a Volvo man. Each to their own. After trying to do the air filter, I can understand why!

He always shows me the parts he has changed, old school. Never put any thought to that until now!
AO Member

County: UK
Quote:
Changed air filter. Drilling was involved. How long do you think this filter has been on car?
I think I win on the air filter...and yes it was in the car like that, it didn't happen during removal

Just changed fuel filter and in the process noticed one of the plugs going to the filter is completely snapped off, so have cable tied it on for now.

So now it has had oil, air and fuel filters changed. It runs a lot smoother now, hadn't had a service since 2013. FSH my arse!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12168650_10153391139078645_313210914_o.jpg (138.8 KB, 13 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by james6546 View Post
I think I win on the air filter...and yes it was in the car like that, it didn't happen during removal
Eugggh.... I hate the airbox/filter location on the JTDm engine... You can clearly see whoever fitted that filter couldn't get the top slipped in properly, so just crammed it in and hoped for the best...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Eugggh.... I hate the airbox/filter location on the JTDm engine... You can clearly see whoever fitted that filter couldn't get the top slipped in properly, so just crammed it in and hoped for the best...
Yeah, sadly the previous owner had all of the servicing done at a tyre place...and you can tell.

I took the battery tray out when I did the filter and it was still a nightmare. I can only imagine the crap the engine has ingested in the last 2 years.
AO Member

Member car:

156 SW 1.8 TS

Don't think about it!

Feels good now it's done though.
AO Member

Quote:
Don't think about it! aranoid:

Feels good now it's done though.
Yeah, runs a lot nicer.

Still haven't worked out why there is so much black smoke though!
AO Member

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Not today but Thursday actually sent it for MOT (been too busy to get on here since then) but it passed - again !!! (5 years in a row now).

They also carried out a complimentary vehicle inspection the only things to report were the tyres being down to 4mm in places and the aircon needs to be re-gassed - no worries about either of those for a while yet. By a long way this is the most reliable vehicle I have owned. This is why I've kept it for so long (I never kept any vehicle so long before).
warniegt likes this.
AO Member

So then... What have I done to my Alfa today? Answer: Nothing! This is only because of the rain though... But in the last week I have tackled a plethora or jobs. Some to rectify problems and some purely for improvement. Firstly, in order to fix a dodgy reading on my temperature gauge (it was reading far too low); I have changed the thermostat and temperature sensor. The actual gauge still doesn't show normal temperature - conclusion : give up. I now know the engine does warm up as it should, even if the gauge doesn't show it.
Next I changed the carpet. Stripped out the interior and removed the old (and quite frankly astro-turf like) carpet. I then fitted a much more pleasant soft and much cleaner carpet. The difference is amazing and well worth the effort. (I'll try add some pictures). Next I added some HID headlamp bulbs and LED sidelight bulbs. While I was at it I did the interior bulbs - replacing them with LEDs. Much nicer and cleaner light. Next was a service - spark plugs, oil and decent air filter change. Those rear spark plugs on the V6 have never been changed but I have previously had a rant about lazy garage services. Again, I'll try add some photos of the clear difference in spark plugs.
Then I fitted tow bar electrics. Not too difficult in the grand scale of things. Next were rear parking sensors - a little tricky with a tow bar fitted. In hindsight I should have done the sensors before having the tow bar fitted. Then I fitted a set of 17" GTA alloys (along with all new tyres). After all that some might take a break but this Alfa is my pride and joy so I set about a really deep clean and polish. Which isn't so evident after country lanes in the wet. And not quite last, a full cat back stainless steel exhaust.
And still there are jobs to complete. I still need to fit a full Zener body kit and the MOT is due in 5 weeks - which is bound to give me more jobs to do. But I don't have an Alfa 156 to get me from A to B. I have one because I absolutely LOVE it and I would never want anything else despite its foibles.
edraven71, Simon_GT and warniegt like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl702123 View Post
So then... What have I done to my Alfa today? Answer: Nothing! This is only because of the rain though... But in the last week I have tackled a plethora or jobs. Some to rectify problems and some purely for improvement. Firstly, in order to fix a dodgy reading on my temperature gauge (it was reading far too low); I have changed the thermostat and temperature sensor. The actual gauge still doesn't show normal temperature - conclusion : give up. I now know the engine does warm up as it should, even if the gauge doesn't show it.
Next I changed the carpet. Stripped out the interior and removed the old (and quite frankly astro-turf like) carpet. I then fitted a much more pleasant soft and much cleaner carpet. The difference is amazing and well worth the effort. (I'll try add some pictures). Next I added some HID headlamp bulbs and LED sidelight bulbs. While I was at it I did the interior bulbs - replacing them with LEDs. Much nicer and cleaner light. Next was a service - spark plugs, oil and decent air filter change. Those rear spark plugs on the V6 have never been changed but I have previously had a rant about lazy garage services. Again, I'll try add some photos of the clear difference in spark plugs.
Then I fitted tow bar electrics. Not too difficult in the grand scale of things. Next were rear parking sensors - a little tricky with a tow bar fitted. In hindsight I should have done the sensors before having the tow bar fitted. Then I fitted a set of 17" GTA alloys (along with all new tyres). After all that some might take a break but this Alfa is my pride and joy so I set about a really deep clean and polish. Which isn't so evident after country lanes in the wet. And not quite last, a full cat back stainless steel exhaust.
And still there are jobs to complete. I still need to fit a full Zener body kit and the MOT is due in 5 weeks - which is bound to give me more jobs to do. But I don't have an Alfa 156 to get me from A to B. I have one because I absolutely LOVE it and I would never want anything else despite its foibles.
Quiet week then
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Failed mot on Saturday. Just needs top wishbone on drivers side. This is my first Alfa and 3 years ago I was psyching myself up for unreliability issues and big bills but wanted one anyway. I've been pleasantly surprised by the cars reliability, the low cost of parts, parts availability and ease to work on (usually).
Lastly the information I've found on this site has saved me time and money when issues have arisen.
Thanks to all who contribute.
Paddy OPlastic likes this.
AO Member

Painted my calipers, had the underside waxoyled, made my own whiskers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0869_1445808071589.jpg (40.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0870_1445808093074.jpg (33.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0872_1445808116015.jpg (50.9 KB, 25 views)
pendragonfalls likes this.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I always fancied a red GT. Went to see this on Sunday
Red GT

It's not bad TBH but we sat in it and noticed there were no heated seats. The heater is crap in my GT, not sure if it affects others and as such the heated seats make a difference.
I got out and walked away. The wheels were a bit tatty and a few other minor faults. Oh and no reversing sensors. Now I have them on the GT I would not do without them. I think aftermarket one's for less than £20 would probably do though.
Wrapping or dipping. I know a bit about wrapping but [Plasti] dipping. Anyone any experience?

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic2115 View Post
Painted my calipers, had the underside waxoyled, made my own whiskers.
What did you use to make the whiskers..? Where'd ya get it
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Double din HU Gt

Fitted a double din HU, DAB aerial and reversing camera this weekend.

Last edited by ferret-ears; 31-10-15 at 20:51.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today