What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 64 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Status: Still love it
AO Member
 
Peter Simo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Merseyside
Posts: 260
Images: 32
Done nothing but looked at it out of the window ,does that count.
Wezley and baxter2308 like this.
Peter Simo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
Wezley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 11,457
Images: 27
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Simo View Post
Done nothing but looked at it out of the window ,does that count.
It does, an Alfa on the road and not the garage
Wezley is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 474

Member car:

Alfa 3.2GT V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Simo View Post
Done nothing but looked at it out of the window ,does that count.

Yep. Brought mine to work today and gave the wife the Van so I can fix the washer jets that are making the right noises but not chucking any water out. So I either have a blockage somewhere or a leaky bottle...

So anyway I will spend most of the day gazing out at it through my shop window, cursing anyone who has the audacity to park anywhere near it

One thing I have noticed though is that at the angle I'm looking at it, it's obvious it needs 18's, the 17's just don't fill the rear arches enough. So I'll add that to the quaife diff, Eibach ARB's and upgraded suspension it could do with....

3.2GT V6 - Gabbiano Blue - Jetfins - M-Tec Shortshifter - Wizard Cat Back - Rest standard
warniegt is offline  
Status: The Rosso twins are here!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
edraven71's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 1612
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 3,674
Garage
Ordered 2 new rear wheel bearings, think it's about the only part of the car I haven't replaced in the last 4 years, and typically after not driving her for a week I heard a grumble from the back.

Just wish the Mrs would listen for things like that cos if I didn't drive it, it would be seized up by the time she heard it
Simon_GT likes this.
edraven71 is offline  
Status: Howling around Leicestershire
AO Silver Member
 
ferret-ears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,143
Images: 77
After removing my rear spoiler, then repainting the boot lid, I put one of the new style Alfa badges on. Today I replaced the "Gt" script. Normally I like the clean debadged look but I kinda like the gt script typeface.
New one 14.99 from fleabay, and it was a genuine one complete with an application guide.
ALFADOIT likes this.
ferret-ears is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,233
Fitted a new drivers side puddle lamp lens today, and sorted out the bulb holder...

More handiwork from the previous owner by the looks of it... Previous lens was all smashed up, looked like he's removed the door card without undoing the screw in the lens and it split from there... Had been stuck back together with black silicone, which caked everything in that corner! Cheers fella!

Also the screw that holds down the drivers side window control switches is completely missing... So that's annoying me now too!
ALFADOIT likes this.
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: Tin worm attack ... ARGHH!
AO Gold Member
 
gazza82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 8,322
Images: 12
Garage
Started to strip the engine down for the head gasket replacement .. copious quantities of penetrating fluid has been applied to exhaust manifold stud and nuts ... and for the life of me I can't see how I will get the metal coolant pipe off the head at the timing gear end with the a/c compressor in place, so need to see how that soab if fitted to the engine ..

Got prices for head gasket kits from AlfaWorkshop and Shop4Parts and will call AlfaShop on Monday ...

Ribe #13 on its way along with torque angle gauge ...

Wish me luck ...
ALFADOIT likes this.
gazza82 is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Taffiam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
County: -
Posts: 32
Well it's time for some colours on the interior of my 156 v6 so out comes the centre console las heater vents from black now in white looking beautiful.

No to attempt to change the drivers window switch that previous owner snapped ( what a tool)

And forced cold air induction on its way along with new coloured silicone hoses
Taffiam is offline  
Status: Alive
AO Silver Member
 
Paddy OPlastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 4,103

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Really hope you find the noise culprit. I am sure that is taking your mind off the benefit increase in cornering rigidity and balance. I had exactly the same set up on my first GT and the eibach ARB kit complemented the fsd's with eibach pro S springs perfectly..

Damien.
I think we found the problem - a rear shock top mount. I can only assume that the recent jacking up and down caused it to fail around the same time the roll bar was installed. Coincidences do happen.

In trying to find the problem it does seem that the rear polly-bushes supplied with the ARB kit don't fit very snugly - it's possible to make the bar move a lot in the mounting with a pry bar. Perhaps I should start a new thread about that.
Paddy OPlastic is offline  
Status: Howling around Leicestershire
AO Silver Member
 
ferret-ears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,143
Images: 77
O/S/F inner cv boot replaced today by Intaservices, (another quality job) Borrowed Dave's "loner" 156, reminded me of how good they (still) are.
ferret-ears is offline  
Status: Spanner wary
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Spain
County: Malaga
Posts: 303

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Got some Polish people to spring into action with the click of a mouse.
20 minutes later a well-known courier company sent me an email informing me a new lower turbo hose is making its way to me.

And no, I didn't buy a silicon one - they're so much better - , and no it's not because I'm cheap (although I am), but because those don't fit the 74kW 1.9 jtd 8v engine.
I asked the stealer for the part price a while back and even they were offended, so I have been looking for a reasonably priced alternative since and they don't grow on trees. Fingers crossed.
imski is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Bloodnok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 15

Member car:

GT Blackline 08

Followed my brother on a spirited drive down local country lanes Sunday morning.
I think he was impressed/annoyed that his Merc CLS 350CDI couldn't outpace my GT
Bloodnok is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
GuitarJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 204
Garage
Fitted black side repeaters. She looks pretty stealthy now. Wheels need a refurb soon and was thinking about getting them done in a dark anthracite. Black maybe over-kill. Thoughts guys? An recommendations on were to get them done?
GuitarJon is offline  
Status: Spanner wary
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Spain
County: Malaga
Posts: 303

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Hit the 250k km mark in my 147 on the way to get a new battery for the mrs' 147, nice milestone.

While at the motor factors bought a new battery terminal clamp for mine too.
imski is offline  
Status: Spanner wary
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Spain
County: Malaga
Posts: 303

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by imski View Post
Got some Polish people to spring into action with the click of a mouse.
20 minutes later a well-known courier company sent me an email informing me a new lower turbo hose is making its way to me.

And no, I didn't buy a silicon one - they're so much better - , and no it's not because I'm cheap (although I am), but because those don't fit the 74kW 1.9 jtd 8v engine.
I asked the stealer for the part price a while back and even they were offended, so I have been looking for a reasonably priced alternative since and they don't grow on trees. Fingers crossed.
Courier company just delivered said lower turbo hose to the office.
28 hours between pressing the 'Buy' button and having the part in your hands. Not too shabby for 'free international shipping'.
Hose looks like it'll fit and appears similar to OEM quality.
imski is offline  
Status: Spanner wary
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Spain
County: Malaga
Posts: 303

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Swapped battery in the mrs 147 and installed the newly acquired lower turbo hose on mine.

It's only when I took it for a spin afterwards I realised how badly it needed that new hose (the old one was very limp).
I notice more torque on the lower revs and it's a lot keener to climb the revs.
When you only have 100hp to start with I guess you can ill afford half of them suffering from respiratory problems...
imski is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,233
Changed out my Osram Nightbreakers for my "chucked in the boot" spares... Noticed that the nearside blew out this morning on the way to work, checked both this evening and confirmed one dead... Changed it for spare, and then the second b****rd blew when I switched it back on to check...

Damnit Osram...

Gonna try set of Philips Xtreme's instead!
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: Why bother with 3 cylinders when 6 will do?
AO Silver Member
 
Mymatemarmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Changed out my Osram Nightbreakers for my "chucked in the boot" spares... Noticed that the nearside blew out this morning on the way to work, checked both this evening and confirmed one dead... Changed it for spare, and then the second b****rd blew when I switched it back on to check...

Damnit Osram...

Gonna try set of Philips Xtreme's instead!
Both of my dipped bulbs blew on Wednesday evening. It's been a while since I changed one and for the life of me I couldn't get the bulb out yesterday. This evening with a decent light and a mirror it took 3 minutes. Silly fiddly retaining clips.
Mymatemarmite is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymatemarmite View Post
Both of my dipped bulbs blew on Wednesday evening. It's been a while since I changed one and for the life of me I couldn't get the bulb out yesterday. This evening with a decent light and a mirror it took 3 minutes. Silly fiddly retaining clips.
I've not had any trouble with the clips so far (luckily!), even with my big clumsy hands!

Biggest faff was when I dropped the dead bulb down behind the bumper and it nested in behind the horn... Limbered up and got elbow deep behind under the radiator hose and managed to fish it out!
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
t3yls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,813
Images: 4

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
I've not had any trouble with the clips so far (luckily!), even with my big clumsy hands!

Biggest faff was when I dropped the dead bulb down behind the bumper and it nested in behind the horn... Limbered up and got elbow deep behind under the radiator hose and managed to fish it out!
why don't you get a 30 HID kit? .....the difference is night and day! (pun intended )
t3yls is online now  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
why don't you get a 30 HID kit? .....the difference is night and day! (pun intended )
Got any recommendation?

It's on my mid-long term hit list... Can't decide the level of faff I'm willing to go through (H7R kit versus H7 kit with projectors etc..)... I'd also want to polish up and refurb the lenses if I'm getting the headlamps out to fit projectors, and if the bumper is coming off then the intercooler bracket could do with either replacing/powdercoating/painting (if I'm lucky!!)....

Halogens are just easier... I can do them in 10 minutes, HID job is gonna snowball if I get my hands on them
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
t3yls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,813
Images: 4

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Got any recommendation?

It's on my mid-long term hit list... Can't decide the level of faff I'm willing to go through (H7R kit versus H7 kit with projectors etc..)... I'd also want to polish up and refurb the lenses if I'm getting the headlamps out to fit projectors, and if the bumper is coming off then the intercooler bracket could do with either replacing/powdercoating/painting (if I'm lucky!!)....

Halogens are just easier... I can do them in 10 minutes, HID job is gonna snowball if I get my hands on them
i got one off ebay from a well recommended chap. I did a thread on it because it was my first time with these kits and had a few questions!!! But look at the pics....

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...lp-please.html (HIDs ....help please!)
_The_Editor_ likes this.
t3yls is online now  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
i got one off ebay from a well recommended chap. I did a thread on it because it was my first time with these kits and had a few questions!!! But look at the pics....

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...lp-please.html (HIDs ....help please!)
Perfect, cheers chap!

Philips X-treme's are on their way already, but for 30 for HID's verses 15-20 for decent halogens.... Think I'll get an HID kit in on the spares shelf for the next time the bulbs blow!
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
speedyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Czech republic
County: -
Posts: 5
on Friday I replaced the pulley (metal-rubber) and on saturday we (Alfa+me) met the Alfa session in Czech rep.
speedyII is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
RtB&Jubyju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 19
I opened the bonnet again, tried to see why it was not charging the battery. ran it whilst probing around with the voltmeter. when the battery was too flat to start the car I took battery out. locked the car up and put battery back on charge. Not happy bunny today.
RtB&Jubyju is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome