What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 63 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
I've had my Eibach ARB's on for a couple of weeks now and difference in longish high speed corners is great, the car feels really planted and the the fat 5 pot needs all the help it can get. The front strut brace helped a lot as well.
That's good to hear Gary.

The GT does roll a bit more with the FSDs so I'm hoping the Eibach ARBs will mitigate this. I am really happy with the improvement in the ride after the FSDs though. The roads around here are shocking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Only to find I've put them in upside down. Drove to work in innit mode (foglights on).
been there, done that couldn't understand why the side of the road was so bright when I couldn't see much in front of me
AO Member

County: Durham
Garage

Member car:

156 v6

shouted at it lots, cut all my knuckles, dismantled half the engine looking for a random misfire which is still fluffing there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 318.jpg (177.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 070.jpg (23.4 KB, 15 views)
baxter2308 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Relisted the JTD on eBay after the bar steward never paid
AO Member

County: Surrey
Drooled whilst excellarated from 40 to 70 + 30 + 10 she quick, left the Vauxhall vectra behind in my wake! Did he really think that he could take my black beast on
ALFADOIT and triphazard85 like this.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Another job ticked off the list!!!!!

Yesterday I replaced the passenger seat release cable on my GT or Alfa ***** as I call her.

The part cost 30. I was dreading it to be honest as every forum thread read about the job was a horror story. 360 at the dealers, taking the seat out and 9hr job seemed to be the norm.

It was a pig of a job but it took me just over 2hrs. I also took the opportunity to hoover the carpet whilst the seat was out. It wouldn't of been possible without the step by step guide kindly provided by Peaktorque. Luckily I managed it without removing the seat back. I did lose some blood and skin doing the job so if you attempt it I suggest you wear gloves.

Now I've just got the following to sort out:
New door checkstraps
Replace glow plugs ready for winter
Fix reverse lights

Great forum, Thanks
ALFADOIT, Wezley and triphazard85 like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by R30CMO View Post
Now I've just got the following to sort out:
New door checkstraps
Replace glow plugs ready for winter
Fix reverse lights

Great forum, Thanks
Nice easy jobs at least

Checkstraps are 30-40ish mins either side, good opportunity to fit some insulation material (Silentcoat / Dynamat for example) and upgrade the stock speakers Probably worth buying replacement thumb-screw covers for the handles as you're amost certainly going to damage the old ones removing them!

Glow plugs might take a bit of Plusgas/WD40 to loosen them off, but should go simply enough...

Reverse light problems are often the little switch atop the gearbox that detects reverse gear is engaged and turns the lamp on.. Shouldn't take too much troubleshooting to find the fault here!
R30CMO likes this.

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Fitted my decat downpipe today!

took longer than I expected... Most of the nuts came undone nicely, but that b**tard V-Clamp between the downpipe and the turbo was a lil'bu**er to get off... Took prying, WD40, and a few encouraging nudges with a hammer before it let go with a big 'ol clunk...

Putting it back together was fun too... Slipping the V-clamp over the new part, whilst sandwiching that thin sheet metal gasket in place... Any proper mechanics got some tips for V-clamps?

Gave the turbine a fingering whilst I wsa in there, no play whatsoever (not that I suspected any) and turned free as a bird! Got it all back together aligned nicely and nipped up nice and tight! Pretty much destroyed my cheapo socket wrench though, so I'll be after an upgraded set now!

Also gave the top heat-shield a few coats of satin black Plastikote, inspired by Damien!

Short test drive (oh HELLO turbo ), and back home..

Then, gave her a wash and clayed the windscreen! Busy day in the garage
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Put a new front badge on my GT this morning. Much smarter now. Getting busy with the Chipex now to deal with the bonnet chips :-)

Before and after pics of the badge attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1443947194153.jpg (53.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image_1443947273513.jpg (52.3 KB, 12 views)
AO Member

Member car:

GT Blackline 08

I upgraded from a 156 to a GT blackline yesterday, and this morning took the car out to enjoy the autumn sunshine..
Holy cow, what a difference from the 1.8ts engine.. and the handling.. and the looks.. and the power..
What a great car
Simon_GT and triphazard85 like this.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage
Fitted new BMC filter Also tried to change repeaters from clear to smoked but broke a clip in the process so its back to alfisti.net to order another pair.....oops.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #1562 of 2909 Old 04-10-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Cleaned fitted my new late red stitched perforated steering wheel i purchased off another clover. While i send my wheel away to be done in alcantara.. Did have a few bum clenching moments when i removed the airbag..lol..Face still intact and no explosions.. Love the new wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new wheel.jpg (126.2 KB, 18 views)

County: -Wales
Garage
Booked her in for a full service next Thursday, also drove to some body repair workshops to get quotes on on the cosmetic damage, was quoted around 500 for about 3 areas of the bodywork. No guarantee that the crack on the rear bumper can be permanently repaired, so now looking to replace the whole rear bumper. If anyone has a good idea where I can source one from in South Wales or the South East of England it would be greatly appreciated.
(Post Link) post #1564 of 2909 Old 05-10-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Sent my clover wheel away to be refurbished in top quality grey alcantara. Also my Italian Simoni racing gearknob top will be done in the same material. Have gone for a slightly thicker girth to the wheel too, with red top marker and red stitching. Really excited to see how it turns out.

Damien.
GuitarJon and edraven71 like this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Cleaned fitted my new late red stitched perforated steering wheel i purchased off another clover. While i send my wheel away to be done in alcantara.. Did have a few bum clenching moments when i removed the airbag..lol..Face still intact and no explosions.. Love the new wheel.
Id love that wheel in my 147. My whole interior is black and the seats have red stitching and red stitched alfa badge on head rests. Ordering new handbrake/gear stick gaiters with red stitching............can you see a theme here haha.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #1566 of 2909 Old 05-10-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJon View Post
Id love that wheel in my 147. My whole interior is black and the seats have red stitching and red stitched alfa badge on head rests. Ordering new handbrake/gear stick gaiters with red stitching............can you see a theme here haha.
Yup red stitch on an Alfa steering wheel is "right" Its a rare later wheel like my original just with red stitching and perforated leather, with blue and me buttons..Came off a late GT clover 170..I was considering selling it when i refit my refurbished original wheel.. But dunno now its just lovely. Suppose it would be plain rude to have 2 lovely wheels in my possession..

Damien.
AO Member

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Sorted out a non-functioning front driver's side indicator. Took the holder out and cleaned the contacts with my Dremel, replaced the bulb and hey presto. Unfortunately it was p*ssing down at the time so lying on my back to get the holder in and out was a damp experience. Had to be done though.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Couple of days ago now but swapped out two coil pack extensions with the rubber insulation. When I did the cam belt I noticed two of the insulation rubbers were starting to break up ... one had dropped a small piece that was a pain to remove from next to the plug ... until I switched on the vacuum cleaner I keep in the garage to clean out the cars!

They pull off, but one literally fell apart ... two new ones push back on without fuss.

But in the process I have finally confirmed I have a head gasket gone .. ... so that one lasted 123k. Now trying to decide on my next move .. pay someone or diy ..

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Got my GT back with the Eibach ARBs installed. It certainly seems a tighter but it's damp out so hard testing isn't possible. Unfortunately there's now a metal-against-metal sound coming from the back over bumps which isn't good.
(Post Link) post #1570 of 2909 Old 06-10-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
Got my GT back with the Eibach ARBs installed. It certainly seems a tighter but it's damp out so hard testing isn't possible. Unfortunately there's now a metal-against-metal sound coming from the back over bumps which isn't good.
Paddy you should "really feel the difference"...The elimination of under steer is one of the first noticeable traits.

Trying to rack my brains what the metal sound is..something that was taken apart has obviously deteriorated while being put back together. Is it a clunk metal sound or a rubbing?

Damien.
Paddy OPlastic likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Paddy you should "really feel the difference"...The elimination of under steer is one of the first noticeable traits.

Trying to rack my brains what the metal sound is..something that was taken apart has obviously deteriorated while being put back together. Is it a clunk metal sound or a rubbing?

Damien.
I took her out again this evening and now I think there are two separate noises. The first I'm sure is a bush creak. The second is more of a loose metal cracking sound. It is possible that it isn't metalic at all and I'm hearing two manifestations of the same noise source. I sprayed silicone oil into the right bush and it creaked less. If it's fine tomorrow then I might get the chance to get underneath and have a proper look.

It's too early to say what handling improvements there are - I've been more concerned with the noises! I've never noticed much understeer but then again I don't have the power that you do. If they reduce the occasional FSD wobble then I'll be happy.

Thanks Damien.
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #1572 of 2909 Old 06-10-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy OPlastic View Post
I took her out again this evening and now I think there are two separate noises. The first I'm sure is a bush creak. The second is more of a loose metal cracking sound. It is possible that it isn't metalic at all and I'm hearing two manifestations of the same noise source. I sprayed silicone oil into the right bush and it creaked less. If it's fine tomorrow then I might get the chance to get underneath and have a proper look.

It's too early to say what handling improvements there are - I've been more concerned with the noises! I've never noticed much understeer but then again I don't have the power that you do. If they reduce the occasional FSD wobble then I'll be happy.

Thanks Damien.
Really hope you find the noise culprit. I am sure that is taking your mind off the benefit increase in cornering rigidity and balance. I had exactly the same set up on my first GT and the eibach ARB kit complemented the fsd's with eibach pro S springs perfectly..

Damien.
AO Member

County: Antrim
Garage
Today I removed the sump from my 147 2.0 TS Lusso to try and track down where my knocking sound is coming from. I had originally hoped the sound was coming from the top end but it sounded a bit more low down after climbing under her and listening :-/
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Yup red stitch on an Alfa steering wheel is "right" Its a rare later wheel like my original just with red stitching and perforated leather, with blue and me buttons..Came off a late GT clover 170..I was considering selling it when i refit my refurbished original wheel.. But dunno now its just lovely. Suppose it would be plain rude to have 2 lovely wheels in my possession..

Damien.
Tell you what, you keep the red stitched one and I'll take the refurbed wheel off your hands (no pun intended).

But seriously if you o decide to part ways with the red stich one, let me know
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: New Zealand
Negotiated new wheels and arranged pickup
Received Parrot BT unit and planned installation with Bose.
Thought about a new exhaust/filter...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today