What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 57 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Changed Discs & Pads

Last week's annual service prompted me to change my front discs and pads sooner rather than later and risk MOT advisory or even failure during December, when the weather could be even worse than now. Also, Vospers (Alfa) were "offering" to do the job for 380. Thankyou but no way! After much research and pondering I selected a set of drilled and grooved MTEC Rotors and Mintex Pads for 92. I had all the tools except a breaker bar which I bought for 17 (when the last 19mm nut would not budge using a standard bar and hollow wheel wrench) and watched a number of You Tube videos guides. Yesterday was a perfect, warm and sunny day and a few hours later I had completed the job, done and dusted. After the test drive I am still alive and the pads are now bedding in nicely, with no squeals, judders or vibrations, spot on.

I am pretty chuffed with myself as it was initially quite a daunting task but a combination of Wheeler Dealers, Google, Alfa Owner and You Tube gave me the confidence to not just have a go but do it thoroughly and properly to avoid any problems. I really enjoyed it and have learned much about such tasks and my own abilities, as well as saving a wedge of cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroBeanz View Post
Changed Discs & Pads

Last week's annual service prompted me to change my front discs and pads sooner rather than later and risk MOT advisory or even failure during December, when the weather could be even worse than now. Also, Vospers (Alfa) were "offering" to do the job for 380. Thankyou but no way! After much research and pondering I selected a set of drilled and grooved MTEC Rotors and Mintex Pads for 92. I had all the tools except a breaker bar which I bought for 17 (when the last 19mm nut would not budge using a standard bar and hollow wheel wrench) and watched a number of You Tube videos guides. Yesterday was a perfect, warm and sunny day and a few hours later I had completed the job, done and dusted. After the test drive I am still alive and the pads are now bedding in nicely, with no squeals, judders or vibrations, spot on.

I am pretty chuffed with myself as it was initially quite a daunting task but a combination of Wheeler Dealers, Google, Alfa Owner and You Tube gave me the confidence to not just have a go but do it thoroughly and properly to avoid any problems. I really enjoyed it and have learned much about such tasks and my own abilities, as well as saving a wedge of cash.
Nice one
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0TS

Yes, it's quite satisfying when you get it done yourself, but daunting the first time. Well done. Now you've got some spare cash to spend on something else!
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Re-fitted my headlights after they were converted to black mask and projectors, a great job done by Markyb1986.
Washed and polished it then went to Deene Park MITCAR, a great day out and good to meet JabawokJayUK and his highly modded 159
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black mask medium.jpg (179.1 KB, 31 views)
warniegt likes this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
This time I can't blame it on anyone else

I took the long way home last night and something in the gearbox kersploded all over the roundabout at the M4/A33 junction. So today, what I did to my GTA was book it into the garage
pendragonfalls likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by marting156 View Post

I took the long way home last night and something in the gearbox kersploded all over the roundabout at the M4/A33 junction. So today, what I did to my GTA was book it into the garage
There should be a 'OOPS' button, as well as a 'LIKE' button, coz liking that isn't exactly correct. Admin..? Get on it now..
marting156 likes this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
This is probably the closest to a "Doh!" smiley: -->
pendragonfalls likes this.
AO Member

County: Vaud
Quote:
Originally Posted by marting156 View Post

Prepare yourself for a new gearbox and a Quaife diff!
AO Member

County: -
Well for the last month every day I have been trying (and trying.....) to resolve my p0220 fault code without and luck I know I need to remove connector block from behind glove box just can't locate the right connector!
I think it's time to book it into the garage n start preparing myself for the bill
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Had the underneath of my 2.0JTS GT re-undersealed at Bianco Autos in Surrey. Apparently there was a big part of the rear floorpan that had been missed at the factory so a good deal of surface rust had to be wire brushed off. They tell me it'll be good for a few years now though. Wheel refurb next.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

dribbled oil down the spindle that connects to the clutch actuator arm this morning. Immediately a lighter clutch pedal.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Not quite today, but got back from the south of France yesterday evening having covered 2510 mile in 19 days in my GT 3.2. There is a post with some photos in the GTA lounge....
baxter2308 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Picked up the GT from the in-laws driveway after being on Hol with them all for a week...

Good news - started first time (just.... little bit of spluttering and smoke...)

Bad news - definite grinding from the rear.. Idiot here left the handbrake on tight, parked on a nice secure private level gravel driveway... Got a new set of handbrake cables in the garage on my parts shelf waiting to go on, along with a set of nice braided brake hoses... Was gonna try and put off the brake overhaul until Christmas but I might be doing it sooner than planned if the grinding doesn't clear up after a nice long run on Monday morning to get it all good and hot!

AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

Love my twin chrome pipes, but the fat ugly backbox section lets the ensemble down.

30 mins, some masking tape and a can of VHT exhaust paint, sorted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (117.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (197.9 KB, 12 views)
ferret-ears and CliveJ like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Thorough clean, and had my first go with AD Cherry Glaze...

Brilliant product! Goes on smooth, buffs off easily, leaves the paintwork looking a brilliant deep shiny black!

Managed to finish the last panel about 30 seconds after the lightest of rain showers started.. Perfect timing

Now for the bad points - cleaning and applying the Cherry Glaze has made it nice and obvious that I need to invest in some clay.. Finish looks lovely, but I can tell where it needs some decontamination!
AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

2005 GT JTS 2.0l

Typical, my wife never uses my 147, the first time in ages that she goes out in it, 5 miles in and I get a phone call: "the clutch has gone, it went bang, it won't work". I naturally think the worse, get a lift out to rescue it, and luckily just before I give up hope and ring the AA, I lean under the dash and see that its the clutch pin thats split. Quick tie wrap later and I'm driving home. Searching the forums it seems its a common problem, and one that was fixed with a recall. Mine's a 2001 car so it must have never had the upgraded pin?

Worst thing was, that evening the wiper linkage went too! Again, typical...now the wife doesn't "trust" the Alfa!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 Jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret-ears View Post
Reverse buzzer is located OSR in the tailgate, behind the moldings.
Lift the rear hatch up and unscrew the trim moldings on the drivers side its black and has the diameter of a ping pong ball. Some of the electrical connectors for the sensors are attached to the OSR bumper right behind the rear wheel behind the fog lamp ( at least I think that's what they are).
odd mine is behind the trim panel nearside rear passenger compartment. i put some tape over it so it buzz as loud when the rear sensors **** up again.....
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Oil change. I spent longer talking to my sister on the phone (in between draining and filling) about her new Fiat 500 than actually doing the job.
AO Member

County: East Sussex
Waxed half with K2 Carnuba , ran out of time for the other side - so that's next , oh then the alloys refurbed , then the off side drive shaft .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0038 (Medium).JPG (182.6 KB, 13 views)
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #1420 of 2910 Old 24-08-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH147 View Post
Typical, my wife never uses my 147, the first time in ages that she goes out in it, 5 miles in and I get a phone call: "the clutch has gone, it went bang, it won't work". I naturally think the worse, get a lift out to rescue it, and luckily just before I give up hope and ring the AA, I lean under the dash and see that its the clutch pin thats split. Quick tie wrap later and I'm driving home. Searching the forums it seems its a common problem, and one that was fixed with a recall. Mine's a 2001 car so it must have never had the upgraded pin?

Worst thing was, that evening the wiper linkage went too! Again, typical...now the wife doesn't "trust" the Alfa!
I am sure our Alfa's have moods...

I hear your pain with the clutch pin, i had one go on my first GT in the que for the ferry in Calais. Was on my knees in the cold rain, head in my footwell, using a french peg spring as a makeshift clutch pin. People going by me muttering "typical Alfa". I can laugh now, but at the time i wasn't..lol. Anyhow i made the ferry, was the last vehicle to board right behind the HGV's.. I always keep a spare pin in my GT now in a black mini alfa bag.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch pin bag.jpg (63.3 KB, 13 views)

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Silver Member

Today (before the rain came down) I wired up my reversing camera, very pleased with the results.
Fitted some more sound deadening while the boot fixtures were all removed.
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Garage
On Sunday I broke down in my 156 SW, for the first time in 18 months she let me down. I had just left Silverstone, a few Alfa's went by me and then I started to smell Diesel and my rear window was getting dirty. Pulled into a layby to have a look and sure enough I had a leak. A quick diagnosis and the fuel pipe from pump to engine the metal security ring had failed.

Greenflag sorted it out with a new pipe and I was on my way again..

Not so bad after all.

MOT next and then its up for sale as my 159ti arrives soon.

-----------------------------------
FOR SALE SOON - Alfa 159Ti 2011 2.0JTDm, Black with genuine Alfa bodykit and late spec interior .

Previous Alfa's = Fantasy Blue 156 2.4JTD Sportwagon |Alfa 156 V6 S/W with LPG | Nuvelo 147 GTA with Connect +, 18" alloys, Coilovers, CDA and remap| 156 2.4 JTD sportwagon with 185 BHP, lowered, 17" white speedline wheels, and Zender bodykit|156 V6 SP3 in Cosmos with big spoiler|1998 Spider TS in green.
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa GT

Took the GT Clover to Loz at Autolusso Bournemouth yesterday for new Koni FSD's to be fitted, new rear brake pads and a couple of other minor bits. I've been wanting to improve the overall ride quality for some time and have always been disappointed with the stock set up. I didn't want to go down the 'lowering route', as to me this has and will always impact on ride quality, but was told that the Koni's work great with the stock spring system. Yep - it works really great, a much more compliant ride on all surfaces and she still handles well. Very pleased I took the plunge - different car now.

Thanks again to Loz and the guys - brilliant service as always!
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Installed my fixed wiper linkage, works fine, lets hope it's durable
AO Silver Member

Removed the naff rear boot spoiler at long last, so much nicer rear end now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today