What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 48 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs93 View Post
Took the wheels off ready for the refurb this week, and gave the engine bay a good clean
Nice, love a clean engine but the wife thinks I'm mad when I spend ages cleaning mine.
ALFADOIT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Had plenty of spanner time yesterday.
Have a sloppy gear lever, I can move it about an inch when in gear.
I figured the ring that the gear lever sits in was broken or even more likely the bush a bit up the gear lever.
For all sorts of reasons didn't get working properly on it until sunday evening.
Dropped the central tunnel, while the selector cables in the engine bay were disconnected I did the top hat bushes replacement and lubing on that end.
Then got round to taking the gear lever housing off the central tunnel and by the time that was finished it was getting pretty late. Inspected the suspect ring and bush visually and it seemed ok.
Needed to get the car back together to make it to work this morning, so opted not to take it apart any further.
So started fitting everything together again. Anyone else thinks that central tunnel could easily do with fewer fasteners? My kingdom for a bridge or pit...
Anyway, got everything back together, everything works, gear lever still a bit loose for my liking but made it to work this morning.
Let's be charitable and call it a success of some sort...

Last edited by imski; 01-06-15 at 15:57. Reason: spelling
(Post Link) post #1178 of 2909 Old 01-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Finally got round to ordering a new Alu drip tray..Well the euro exchange rate is really good at the moment.. Also ordered some Millers nanotech 5w40 for her 6k oil change. Hopefully fit the tray and change oil at the same time. Will be taking the JTD performance turbo hose off for a good clean too.

Damien.

Last edited by ALFADOIT; 01-06-15 at 20:34.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Looky Looky The Works

A big one for me!

- New cambelt and all of the associated work
- New brake discs and pads
- Service
- New front wishbones on both sides
- New wheel bearing

Now I just need to get the following done:

- Repair the passenger door handle before it comes off completely
- Change one of the rear brake bulbs
- Change the front badge as it is starting to go a bit shabby
- Replace the passenger sunvisor (the dark ones in my car seem to be like gold dust!)

After 80k miles everything seems to be going at once!

Quite tempted by a Guilietta...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Finally got round to treating the interior to some leather food, sweat, toil and an hour or two does the job. Not perfect but it's a start. Anyone looking for some decent leather food, this stuff is 12 on Amazon with a couple of sponges and it seems to do the job.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0561.jpg (129.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0563.jpg (119.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0560.JPG (149.7 KB, 5 views)
Wezley and edraven71 like this.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Mito Cloverleaf

Whilst my car is is off the road having the wheels done, I finally got round to having a look at the horn. Bought a replacement ages ago which now was a waste of time cleaned the terminals up and Hooray I had my horn working properly again! Much better than having just the one horn working that's for sure
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
Finally got round to treating the interior to some leather food, sweat, toil and an hour or two does the job. Not perfect but it's a start. Anyone looking for some decent leather food, this stuff is 12 on Amazon with a couple of sponges and it seems to do the job.

You can get a dye for that leather that will bring it to good as new.
I got some from the Furniture Clinic, needed the code for the seats colour, but once applied it looks great and hasn't budged in the 2 years since I did it.
baxter2308 likes this.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Got my WiFi OBDII dongle thing talking to my iPhone, I really wanted to see what coolant temperature the OBD reports as my gauge only reads 75 after a new thermostat was fitted a while back. Using an app called FourStroke the ODB sees the coolant temperature as 85-90 degrees. Maybe a lazy gauge or temperature sender on the thermostat is not reading correctly.

Just a shame that I cannot leave the ODB dongle connected with the trim panel in place.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
Got my WiFi OBDII dongle thing talking to my iPhone, I really wanted to see what coolant temperature the OBD reports as my gauge only reads 75 after a new thermostat was fitted a while back. Using an app called FourStroke the ODB sees the coolant temperature as 85-90 degrees. Maybe a lazy gauge or temperature sender on the thermostat is not reading correctly.

Just a shame that I cannot leave the ODB dongle connected with the trim panel in place.
Mine (rightly or wrongly) is permanently connected. It's just a plug device with no dongle/wire. Thing is my iPhone annoyingly see's the wi-fi from it even when I'm stood in my kitchen . It's constantly live.
VO2Max

...doesn't this just mean that people can eye you up at the lights (over their iPhone) and calculate whether they'd be able to leave you standing?

AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Hi GaryN, which Wifi dongly thing did you go for and would you recommend it?
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO2Max View Post
...doesn't this just mean that people can eye you up at the lights (over their iPhone) and calculate whether they'd be able to leave you standing?
They need only look across at the car
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

Spruced up my orignal thick-pile mats with some spirit based dye over the weekend.

They were originally a pale grey, with lots of stains and looked a bit crap. One 750ml bottle of "Midnight" dye and the result is very pleasing, and all for around 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150602_19_56_55_Pro.jpg (149.1 KB, 28 views)
t3yls likes this.
dzr

County: -
Garage

Member car:

Alfa GT

Radio reception

I think I have cured the poor radio reception, was always crackly, fading in and out etc.

Removed the aerial base by removing the nut from the rear light cutout in the headlining and disconnecting the cable. Removed the 2 screws holding the base plate - found the springy contact that touches the metal contact in the plastic housing to be very corroded. Cleaned it up, put on a touch of grease to protect it, put it all back together - working radio.

Dave

update - still not as good as hoped for, RDS still weak as it rarely picks up the traffic info (same radio in previous car had no issues, but then that did have a long telescopic aerial)

Last edited by dzr; 05-06-15 at 12:39. Reason: follow up
(Post Link) post #1190 of 2909 Old 03-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex87 View Post
Spruced up my orignal thick-pile mats with some spirit based dye over the weekend.

They were originally a pale grey, with lots of stains and looked a bit crap. One 750ml bottle of "Midnight" dye and the result is very pleasing, and all for around 5
Nice Job...And nice knob compadre..lol..

Have you felt the weight of those mats..jesus. Mine have stood the test of time in both my GT's. Im sure if i took them out i'd have to wind my front coils down a couple of threads to compensate.

Damien.
Dex87 likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivesalive View Post
Hi GaryN, which Wifi dongly thing did you go for and would you recommend it?
The eBay item number is 201237980230 and it works fine, cost just under 10 then an additional 2.99 for the FourStroke app. For the price I am more than happy. I do believe that the ones that work with Android devices might have more functionality but I don't have an Android device.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
The eBay item number is 201237980230 and it works fine, cost just under 10 then an additional 2.99 for the FourStroke app. For the price I am more than happy. I do believe that the ones that work with Android devices might have more functionality but I don't have an Android device.
Looks as good as any. I bought this

Again I too bought the FourStroke App. There were others but as mentioned I think those on Android are better.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

2 new Yokahama on the back. It now has 4 brand new tyres which hopefully completes my spending this year after replacing a full set of arms and drop links. Feels all nice and tight again.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

GT Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Nice Job...And nice knob compadre..lol..

Have you felt the weight of those mats..jesus. Mine have stood the test of time in both my GT's. Im sure if i took them out i'd have to wind my front coils down a couple of threads to compensate.

Damien.
Haha your not wrong bud, its why I can't bear to throw them away.

These were actually the mats that came in my very first 147 a few years back, but I've held onto them as the quality is so good. Theres a very small patch of wear under the drivers heels, but its almost invisible now thanks to the sprucing
AO Member

County: Surrey
nothing as yet, but hopefully will do Sunday when I hope to purchase a 2009 GT Cloverleaf 1.9 JTDM, can't wait!!
AO Silver Member

Got my GT back from the body shop yesterday and am actually disgusted at what has been given back to me. The paint on the car is more orange peel than an orange, it is covered in fish eye, it's not even flat either. There are masking lines on the lower skirt which are visible with the door closed. The arch liners are bright red where they decided they didn't want to mask it off. There is laquer overspray all over the boot lid, all over the sill on the opposite side of the car, the door on the opposite side, the bumper on the opposite side, well let's just say pretty much every panel. Can't believe they can call that repaired.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberson1 View Post
Got my GT back from the body shop yesterday and am actually disgusted at what has been given back to me. The paint on the car is more orange peel than an orange, it is covered in fish eye, it's not even flat either. There are masking lines on the lower skirt which are visible with the door closed. The arch liners are bright red where they decided they didn't want to mask it off. There is laquer overspray all over the boot lid, all over the sill on the opposite side of the car, the door on the opposite side, the bumper on the opposite side, well let's just say pretty much every panel. Can't believe they can call that repaired.
What have they said about it?

Not nice when it was in such good condition before.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
What have they said about it?

Not nice when it was in such good condition before.
Is with the insurance company to deal with now, spoke to the garage originally who didn't seem to understand why I thought it was such a bad job so don't trust them to put it right.
AO Member

County: England
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0l TS

Had the bumper off to try and sort the stuck headlight motor (it's properly stuffed unfortunately). Discovered both drop legs were more rust than metal...one more job for the list!
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Replaced the rear silencer as the Klarius I fitted last June has broken where the mounting is welded on splitting the case and the chrome tailpipe is now orange.

Spent a couple of hours swearing at it trying to align the system to stop it clonking on a/r bar and mounting.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today