What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 26 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1179Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Wobbly bolts? Had this discussion previously. I find it odd you can fit a wheel with a [slightly) different PCD.
Yea they've got the strange wobbly washers fitted at the head end, but still torqued up to 90Nm with no trouble... Will check them again tonight after work and see if they've slackened off a bit, would prefer an OEM option if I'm honest with proper solid bolts.. But as long as they're holding tight and safe then I guess I can make do with them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Yea they've got the strange wobbly washers fitted at the head end, but still torqued up to 90Nm with no trouble... Will check them again tonight after work and see if they've slackened off a bit, would prefer an OEM option if I'm honest with proper solid bolts.. But as long as they're holding tight and safe then I guess I can make do with them!
Wobble bolts are 100% safe from my experiance and a few friends that drift using them..

my only question is if the wrong as such wheels are fitted is the hub centre fixing the right diameter..

this needs to be correct the wobble bolts are fine.. but if its not located on the hub correctly then to much stain is put of the bolts
AO Silver Member

They're nice and snug on the hub carrier, took a good hard thump to shift them after the bolts were slackened off!
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Today....
Refitted all three cats, fitted under tray, fitted correct colour rear bumper and cut in sensors, unbattered front bumper fitted, engine cover painted body colour and refitted, catch can fitted with mesh and cleared all pointless clutter out.
Just the wiring for the folding mirrors to go now!!

County: -

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Fitted a YATOUR AUX and usb box after a previous attempt at a simple AUX cable didnt work.
I decided to hide the box in behind the head unit and have managed to thread the Aux cable from it through the card holder tray so it can be stowed away when not in use.

Also i managed to pick up a new exhaust (mid section and back box with chrome tip)including rubber mounts for 50 from a local ad. So will fit that in the better weather or when ever mine decides to blow.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Northamptonshire
Garage
New thermostat, heat in the cabin at last, Starter motor, fuel filter, under tray & LED bulbs to sidelights and number plate lights.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 JTS

Fitted new aero flat wipers yesterday. It's made a massive difference they are smooth and judder free with no more knocking. Looks a a lot better too.
She also had her first wash and I noticed all the stone chips in need of filling in....yay :/
Today I tried to do the V6 mod but was unable to get the bolt holding the resonator off...no matter I have the car booked in tomorrow to get a new exhaust flexi pipe so they can do it for me
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

147 jtd

throttle body and egr valve cleaned + new fuel filter, timing belt kit running sweet as nut. and a new h/d battery.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Smoked side repeaters fitted and cabin pollen filter replaced, i now have nice clean hot air

I've had my GT for nearly 2 yrs and haven't changed the filter before. Looking at the state of it this will be a yearly job.
Attachment 443129

Last edited by Durty dog; 21-01-15 at 17:51.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

Put new xenon bulbs in my GT so bumper had to come off to get to them. Halfords brand 60 each , Osram nightbreaker xenarcs 89 a pair from HID direct. After looking at Durty dogs filter I must change mine.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickco View Post
Put new xenon bulbs in my GT so bumper had to come off to get to them. Halfords brand 60 each , Osram nightbreaker xenarcs 89 a pair from HID direct. After looking at Durty dogs filter I must change mine.
I think its a job thats on the 12 month service but they get neglected because of awkwardness first time ive ever done one and it only took 20 minutes.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Just fitted LED's for the rear number plate lamps on the 156 SW. I have replaced two standard bulbs in the last six months so am hoping that the LED's will last.

I think that the standard bulbs were blowing as the actual lamp holders are not that secure in the bumper so I suspect that the vibration might have been causing the bulbs to fail prematurely.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
Just fitted LED's for the rear number plate lamps on the 156 SW. I have replaced two standard bulbs in the last six months so am hoping that the LED's will last.

I think that the standard bulbs were blowing as the actual lamp holders are not that secure in the bumper so I suspect that the vibration might have been causing the bulbs to fail prematurely.
My LED's lasted for just under two years, replaced them today. The No plate lights do take a lot of abuse and make sure the O ring is ok and not split or damaged.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I topped me washer bottle up then drove it , I wanna wash it but its too cold .
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEL View Post
Never! I'm washing againg today, got new foam to try! Got leather feed/cleaner too for the seats, gonna smell lovely in my car next week!
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Mito Cloverleaf

I got rid of the nasty creaking noise every time I depressed my clutch, tightened down my drivers side window wiper as I only had one working yesterday, and gave it a well needed wash
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs93 View Post
I got rid of the nasty creaking noise every time I depressed my clutch, tightened down my drivers side window wiper as I only had one working yesterday, and gave it a well needed wash
Washers on the master cylinder?
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Fitted the new accumulator to gearbox. took me 45 mins, all working normally again!!!!
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Mito Cloverleaf

Quote:
Washers on the master cylinder?
Nope, just a good greasing on the linkages around the clutch pedal, there's a shaft that move in and out of a rubber 'sleeve' that was dried up and the main culprit, white grease sorted that out- clutch feels abit lighter too.

You wash your car using snow foam? what are the results like?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs93 View Post
Nope, just a good greasing on the linkages around the clutch pedal, there's a shaft that move in and out of a rubber 'sleeve' that was dried up and the main culprit, white grease sorted that out- clutch feels abit lighter too.

You wash your car using snow foam? what are the results like?
Will have to have a good poke about in my footwell soon, had a new clutch, new slave, greased up the release bushings, and the pedal is still creaky and a little harder than I'd like!

Never used proper foam, just picked up a bottle of demon foam from halfords, gnna try it in my pressure washer chemical bottle... Not a proper foam lance but might foam up! I have been using halfords own brand shampoo in the chemical wash bottle as a pre-wash before 2-bucketing with a noodle glove... Just fancied a go with it!
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Will have to have a good poke about in my footwell soon, had a new clutch, new slave, greased up the release bushings, and the pedal is still creaky and a little harder than I'd like!

Never used proper foam, just picked up a bottle of demon foam from halfords, gnna try it in my pressure washer chemical bottle... Not a proper foam lance but might foam up! I have been using halfords own brand shampoo in the chemical wash bottle as a pre-wash before 2-bucketing with a noodle glove... Just fancied a go with it!
The Demon Foam smells great, it doesn't really work as a prewash though (I think the instructions even say to agitate it with a sponge while it's dwelling). I'd recommend either Mainz Equilibrium or Bilt & Hamber Autofoam. I'd also say before you buy either to get a proper foam lance (not the Karcher one).

This is mine with a coat of Equilibrium.
Leave to dwell for 20 mins, rinse off and then 2-bucket wash....

Last edited by Tommywho156; 07-06-15 at 11:19.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
The Demon Foam smells great, it doesn't really work as a prewash though (I think the instructions even say to agitate it with a sponge while it's dwelling). I'd recommend either Mainz Equilibrium or Bilt & Hamber Autofoam. I'd also say before you buy either to get a proper foam lance (not the Karcher one).

This is mine with a coat of Equilibrium.
Leave to dwell for 20 mins, rinse off and then 2-bucket wash....
Yea it smelled gorgeous as the thin foam disappointingly slopped onto my driveway and left the muck on the car... In the mood for marzipan now!

I was surprised at how well it foamed up, seeing as it was being blasted out of one of these: Power Tools Outdoor Detergent Spray Bottle Attachment 300ml Fits most pressure washers with screw thread and twist lock fittings. 300ml capacity.: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Need a new hose/gun/lance for my pressure washer really, the rubber sheathing had inflated like a baloon under pressure today! Must be a slow leak from the internal hose, as a load of water spilled out when I pricked it to let down the pressure (compressor was off, hose discharged fully...).

Tried Simoniz protect shampoo today, which is so so so much better than the halfords of stuff! Also dead cheap as they're clearing old stock.. 2L for about 4!

So today I:

1. Pre-washed with demon foam (mmmm almonds!), and whipped round the wheels with foaming alloy cleaner and a brush.
2. 2-bucket washed with Simonez protect shampoo.
3. Rinsed off with wide fan from pressure washer.
4. Wiped dry with microfibre.
5. Cleaned/conditioned/fed the leather seats/steering wheel etc.
6. Cleaned windows with Angelwax Vision.
7. Nice thick layer of Turtlewax all over!
8. Regretted the thick layer of wax as I spent well over an hour trying to buff off the thick bits (Doh!).
9. Secured my Connects2 box in behind the ashtray with heavy duty velcro - no more annoying rattle from that!
10. Topped up oil from last weeks oil change, wanted to run in at mid-level to make sure it wasn't over-full.. Plus a week of running makes it that much easier to spot on the dip-stick
11. Topped up screenwash, re-aimed washer jets to just clear the wipers... Rather than fire over the top and wash the car behind me!
12. Thoroughly checked over top-turbo hose.. Still intact but looking like it's starting to perish over the battery.. re-fitted the clamp that holds it clear of rubbing points.. Bottom turbo hose looked silicone when I checked last weekend, so will just look after the top until it goes pop!
13. Hung my complementary Opie oils air freshener!

Problem is that when you spend that much time looking at the car, you notice every single bloody stone-chip, scuff, scratch, or dodgy patch on the bumper where the previous owner tried to fill the scuffs! Chippex is on the to-do list as well!

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 18-01-15 at 16:24.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
You need a lance like this for snow foam. There are cheaper ones out there but the AutoBrite one is very popular with pros and enthusiasts....

now Foam Lance Karcher - By Autobrite Direct by Autobrite Direct LTD http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GU1YYA..._1r-Uub0VVTAT3
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEL View Post
Me too, oh and had to fit a new battery. Bloomin thing is trying it's best to empty my wallet recently
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Nothing. Just turned the key and drove.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today