What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 25 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Last parcel arrived in the post, this weekends to-do lists:

1. Two new tyres at the tyre shop
2. Oil & filter change - Inspect oil cooler and associated hoses while I'm down there!
3. Fit new rear brake pads
4. Wash car
5. Clean and seal windscreen (Angelwax products arrived!), might try and use up the RainX I have left on the rear/sides...
6. Fit new Aerotwins

Busy day for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Durham
booked major service and MOT for Tuesday ........ needs front suspension looking at !
AO Silver Member

Well that's tyres, oil, and rear pads all done...

Gonna wait until tomorrow to wash it all and do the windscreen.. Better weather forecast!

I do now however need a significant adjustment on the handbrake.. Hopefully the common adjuster under the gaiter is enough, I CBA to lift it back up onto stands again to go fiddling about behind the calipers!!
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Switched my amber side repeater/indicators on my 147 for black/smoked items and amber bulbs. Just a 5 minute job and pleased with the result. My car is that light metallic blue and I replaced the old 15" steel wheels with Alfa 156 16" teledials that I had refurbished in a darkish gunmetal. I never expected or intended things to be quite so "dark" but actually the moody look seems to suit the little Alfa.
AO Member

County: East Sussex
Only noticed this thread the other day , so really in the last month or 2 I have done quite a lot , fitted 2.5" Mini projector kit and finally got decent dipped beam ! , fitted a Sony, Bluetooth ,USB Hi Power head unit which sounds and works great , fitted Alfa hologram puddle lights which look pretty and finally yesterday fitted a new set of aero wipers as the old one were starting to "fart" as they skipped across the screen . So my wife should be happy with the results - well maybe
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
washed the poor thing after she got under the salt spread yesterday evening
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Northamptonshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroBeanz View Post
Switched my amber side repeater/indicators on my 147 for black/smoked items and amber bulbs. Just a 5 minute job and pleased with the result. My car is that light metallic blue and I replaced the old 15" steel wheels with Alfa 156 16" teledials that I had refurbished in a darkish gunmetal. I never expected or intended things to be quite so "dark" but actually the moody look seems to suit the little Alfa.
I have a pair of smoked lenses to go on mine but i wasnt sure if they look good on the gabby blue. I have a black roof and the black alfa badges so do you think it would look ok?
Attachment 440337

Last edited by Durty dog; 15-01-15 at 22:15.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnovice View Post
washed the poor thing after she got under the salt spread yesterday evening
How is the chassis underseal on yours mate?
AO Silver Member

Washed it, used Angelwax Vision and H2Go on the windscreen, fitted new aerotwins, and am slowly coming to the conclusion that I managed to knacker the clutch and/or flywheel last night when I stalled it

At least the windscreen isn't smeary and wiper action is quiet and smooth...
AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durty dog View Post
How is the chassis underseal on yours mate?
done over dry week in September
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Fitted a leather interior,black with red stitching. Looks great and the seat heaters work!!
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

Removed the clutch pedal and fitted ceramic washers to cure the grinding / sqweaking noise. I now have a silent smooth clutch pedal.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickco View Post
Removed the clutch pedal and fitted ceramic washers to cure the grinding / sqweaking noise. I now have a silent smooth clutch pedal.
this is a great 'fix' and one everybody should look at IMO
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
this is a great 'fix' and one everybody should look at IMO
Is there a link to the part please and how would you rate the difficulty level of the job?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durty dog View Post
Is there a link to the part please and how would you rate the difficulty level of the job?
buy a bag of various washers and thats about it.

the difficulty is getting into the footwell and doing it!
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

2006 GT Jtdm

I'm going to take a look at mine tomorrow lunchtime at work...that flaming creaking pedal is driving me nuts.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Mine isnt creaking but the way my GT is behaving at the moment its only a matter of time
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

Nylon / ceramic washers can be sourced from many places, mine were left over from a job at work. The job is not hard, just a pain in the ass working in the footwell. Remember to reset the cruise control switch above the pedal.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Quote:
Nylon / ceramic washers can be sourced from many places, mine were left over from a job at work. The job is not hard, just a pain in the ass working in the footwell. Remember to reset the cruise control switch above the pedal.

County: -

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Bit of work on the 147

Today I tackled the problem with the airbag light. Disconnected the battery then cleaned and cable tied the passenger and driver side connectors under the seats. Then started dismantling the panels in the boot to get at the loom under the side carpet, only to realise the facelift model doesn't have connectors in the boot So all that went back in and problem solved.

Also was replacing the number plate bulbs. Got the lights out and replaced the bulb but can't get the lights to sit back in correctly they keep falling out of the bumper. Anyone else had this issue??

Also tried fitting an aux cable to the radio but no luck, I must have one of the newer units which it doesn't work on. So I have a blaupunkt aux cable for sale with the loop connected if anyone wants It.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Seedsy, if your number plate lights are like the ones in my GT I guess you'll have over-compressed or dislodged the retaining spring. I used a flat blade screwdriver to re-shape the springs on mine so they worked again. Give them a good clean up and make sure the springs sit in their tracks correctly - then they should hold the unit properly.

County: -

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
Seedsy, if your number plate lights are like the ones in my GT I guess you'll have over-compressed or dislodged the retaining spring. I used a flat blade screwdriver to re-shape the springs on mine so they worked again. Give them a good clean up and make sure the springs sit in their tracks correctly - then they should hold the unit properly.

Cheers Jonb.gt, must have been a bit heavy handed when taking them out and bent the clips. just googled an image of it to see what shape it should be and stuck them back in. Definitely fitting better but I imagine if I hit a pothole they may pop out
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Replaced a blown headlight bulb on the 156 yesterday afternoon and then on the way home in the evening the exhaust front pipe section snapped! Drove the last 2 miles home sounding like a dragster dragging a chain along! Off shift today so will crawl underneath this morning and see what needs doing before the threatened snow arrives hopefully.
AO Silver Member

Picked up the GT from RPM Motors tonight, new parking sensor control module, fresh new clutch, and a gearbox full of fresh oil! Semi-syn unfortunately, but I can swap that out in a few months time when I fancy a fiddle...

Also got an advisory that the aftermarket alloys it came with are the incorrect PCD for the hub... Re-torque regularly is their advice, I guess my torque wrench and 17mm socket are setting up camp in my boot!

Looking forward to my drive in to work tomorrow morning now! First run out with my new tyres, pads, engine oil, clutch etc....

AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post

Also got an advisory that the aftermarket alloys it came with are the incorrect PCD for the hub... Re-torque regularly is their advice, I guess my torque wrench and 17mm socket are setting up camp in my boot!
Wobbly bolts? Had this discussion previously. I find it odd you can fit a wheel with a [slightly) different PCD.

My earlier driver's window 'not working' problem is now fixed. I'll put it all back together this weekend as my door card is off currently. A faulty Window Control Unit was the culprit.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today