What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 23 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Selangor
Cleaned my MAF sensor, and did a thorough washing and reoiling of my K&N Air Filter, followed by an ECU and throttle reset. The results were nothing short of amazing! The cleaning of the air filter was long overdue...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiace View Post
Cleaned my MAF sensor, and did a thorough washing and reoiling of my K&N Air Filter, followed by an ECU and throttle reset. The results were nothing short of amazing! The cleaning of the air filter was long overdue...!
Was there a noticeable difference when upgrading to the K&N filter? Or was it just the impact of having a clean new filter in place?
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Was there a noticeable difference when upgrading to the K&N filter? Or was it just the impact of having a clean new filter in place?
Always have to be careful when fitting a k&n filter, especially when reoiling as too much oil will kill the maf
AO Silver Member

Yea I just read through a thread discussing that exact risks.. As far as I could tell, so long as it isn't over oiled (IE follow the instructions) then there's no problem...

I'm considering a washable filter when my filter service is due, just to save the cost of new filters each time! Can't see that I'd be feeling any performance gains on my stock-mapped diesel
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Checked the tyre pressures. They were all a bit down given the cold so adjusted accordingly.

Still leaking oil from somewhere & the suspension is creaking again.

Car has been in daily use since 5/12/14 so my wife is happy
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Lubed the door/roof seals on the 156SW.

We had some frosts in the morning as few days back and the doors were a bugger to get open as they were frozen to the door/roof seals.

I wiped down the door/roof seals and the inside edges of the doors so that the were clean and dry. I then smeared a light coat of red (vegetable based) grease onto the seals.

Hopefully that will help prevent the seals freezing to the doors.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Checked the tyre pressures. They were all a bit down given the cold so adjusted accordingly.

Still leaking oil from somewhere & the suspension is creaking again.

Car has been in daily use since 5/12/14 so my wife is happy
Leaky oil cooler by any chance? Mine recently started leaking from one of the pipes.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
Leaky oil cooler by any chance? Mine recently started leaking from one of the pipes.
Nope, that's newish. It seems to be coming from where the oil filter attaches but I'd not swear to that.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Nope, that's newish. It seems to be coming from where the oil filter attaches but I'd not swear to that.
There's a heat exchanger there I think. It can also mimic the signs of a blown head gasket by mixing oil into the coolant.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

2006 GT Jtdm

Outdoor kerbside clutch change on my 2006 GT Jtd. I started on the 23rd for a few hours every day except Xmas & Boxing day. Wheels, n/s suspension, undertray, driveshafts, airbox, MAF sensor, Egr valve, clutch slave cylinder, gear linkage, battery tray, fuse/relay box, all g/box mountings and bell-housing bolts removed. I could only see one bolt on the starter (b..st..rd of an 18mm), but it came out. Tomorrow I'll have to feel about for the other two, then split the box from the engine and finally change the clutch. Then put it all back together again.
Big job, hard job, damned frustrating, but damn it I love my ALfa to bits...literally.
AO Member

Today I have done absolutely nothing to Bella!
But in the past few weeks,she has had a new polybushed front arb,two lower arms,new rear discs and pads,oil and filter,four tyres and on Christmas day I changed the auxiliary belt tensioner . . . .just need to get the alignment sorted,next . . . . . .
IanEW,I changed the clutch on mine,with a pit and that took a couple of days,mind the pit kept filling with water . . .alfa love makes you do crazy things!! Good luck,It'll be worth it in the end,mate!

Last edited by Looneymoo; 28-12-14 at 14:54.
AO Member

Member car:

2006 GT Jtdm

Thanks for the cheer Looneymoo...gearbox came out today, thrust bearing was shredded. New clutch is in and hopefully the box will be back in tomorrow.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanEW View Post
Thanks for the cheer Looneymoo...gearbox came out today, thrust bearing was shredded. New clutch is in and hopefully the box will be back in tomorrow.
I can't even contemplate doing a clutch myself... I'll happily do the simple stuff, but dropping the gearbox

Have you done much big stuff like this before?
AO Member

If it is anything like mine,it will go back together a lot quicker than it came apart! Every bolt put up a noble fight when I was trying to undo them.
The clutch housing and dmf were shot on mine.
I do everything on mine,from oil changes,to clutch swaps,to timing belt change,wishbones,springs,shocks . . .the only things Bella goes to a garage for is mot,tyres and alignment!(and if I could do those myself,I would!)
AO Silver Member

I'd absolutely love to do it all, if:

1. I knew how...
2. I had the tools...
3. I had the time...
4. I had the space...

I love tinkering about with nuts and bolts, and the more I do the better I'll know the car! Already feel a lot closer to the car since doing the clutch slave cylinder!
AO Member

Member car:

2006 GT Jtdm

I changed the front suspension arms, shocks and brake discs on my 146ti last year. I've never changed a clutch before...but I know how they work, and the cars only nuts and bolts at the end of the day. Besides, I'm a production engineer and spend a lot of time repairing machinery at work so I'm mechanically minded. To be honest though, its not quite the same as what I do at work and if I had the 500 to spare I would have gladly paid the labour cost.
AO Silver Member

Process engineer here: I spend a lot of time requesting the company of the maintenance engineers and their toolbox

Maybe I should call in favours from friends when it comes to it!
AO Member

Member car:

2006 GT Jtdm

Quote:
I'd absolutely love to do it all, if:

1. I knew how...
2. I had the tools...
3. I had the time...
4. I had the space...

I love tinkering about with nuts and bolts, and the more I do the better I'll know the car! Already feel a lot closer to the car since doing the clutch slave cylinder!
I had thought the slave cylinder had expired at first as it was leaking, and that seemed not so daunting to do so I changed that first. And yes you're right, makes you feel closer to the car and actually gave me the confidence to take on the gearbox.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
I changed the thermostat on the 156 and checked the oil and water before I drive to my parents for new year.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Process engineer here: I spend a lot of time requesting the company of the maintenance engineers and their toolbox

Maybe I should call in favours from friends when it comes to it!
Snap

Though I do try my best to get on the tools myself because at least then I know it's done right. Never trust a maintenance engineer
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberson1 View Post
Snap

Though I do try my best to get on the tools myself because at least then I know it's done right. Never trust a maintenance engineer
Just an engineer by qualifications here, I never really worked as one.
But been tinkering a bit with my cars over the last couple of years inspired by tight economics and found it enjoyable too.
My clutch is occasionally slipping a bit and I'm preparing to tackle this as well. Glad to see plenty weekend warriors on the forum have done just that, I may have questions...
I don't think I'll be attacking this for another month or so, first make sure it passes the local equivalent of MOT.
AO Silver Member

Just gave the windscreen a thorough cleaning with white vinegar!

50:50 of distilled white vinegar and water, in a spray bottle.. Worked into the screen with a microfibre towel, buffed out again with another clean towel.. Gave the wipers a good cleaning too while I was there...

With any luck that'll be the end of the horrible greasy smears I've been putting up with recently! Also my car now smells like a chippy dinner!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Just gave the windscreen a thorough cleaning with white vinegar!

50:50 of distilled white vinegar and water, in a spray bottle.. Worked into the screen with a microfibre towel, buffed out again with another clean towel.. Gave the wipers a good cleaning too while I was there...

With any luck that'll be the end of the horrible greasy smears I've been putting up with recently! Also my car now smells like a chippy dinner!
A product called Angelwax Vision is more effective and doesn't attract hungry drunks on a Friday night.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
A product called Angelwax Vision is more effective and doesn't attract hungry drunks on a Friday night.

If you don't get commission you should

Need to try it myself though, just waiting for my rainx to run out

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Silver Member

Yea I quite fancy a go with the Angelwax products.. At some point I'll be after a bottle of Vision and H2GO...

However since my bank balance is in tatters after Christmas, and ordering oil/brake parts/tools this morning I figured I'd try the cheap option.. I already had the vinegar in the cupboard

Forgive me, but I considered and oil change and replacement rear pads to be more important than a sparkly clear windscreen!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today