What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 22 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Where did you get the Aerotwins and how much did they cost?

I've decided that my trials with RainX are a failure.. It lasted less than 2 days this time... It doesn't shed the water quick enough any more and leaves horrible smears and a kinda snakeskin effect of water droplets when I use the wipers..

Also - Anyone got top tips to remove that crap?
May have mislead you slightly, the lights were half price but the wipers were 19.26 but still not bad considering the positive reviews they have had. In my experience cheap wipers don't last 5 minutes. The lights were 19.99 for a twin pack, about 10 to 15 cheaper than anywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
Today, well last night really, my 147 went off to Mototech in Liverpool for new clutch, a Cybox stainless exhaust, new rear wiper motor, new gear selector and replacement bumper drop legs as the originals are rusted through. There is also a couple of small gearbox and engine oil leaks to be investigated and hopefully sorted. I don't think she wanted to go as when I went to start her last night her battery was dead.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Cleaned my EGR. Not bad as I have only done it once in twelve months. I can take it off and put it back on without looking now . It takes longer to clean it. I did it whilst at my Mum's (she has far more space than me and it's under cover) but I forgot my Torx fittings. The engine cover I did with a screwdriver as they are not ever on too tight but the EGR actuator I could not remove, which I like to so I can check free movement of the valve. Anyway I found a convenient L shaped bracket that I can use to push on the valve so now I don't even need to remove the actuator head.

Now one other thing, I'll probably ask this as a separate question in the forum but I've noticed my brake pedal going spongy a little. About three weeks ago so I took off the reservoir cap and there was a vacuum. The fluid level looked OK so I put the cap back on. The pedal was no longer spongy and all seemed fine. I'd had all the wheels off days before hand to check for suspension bolts and bushes (it clunks a little) and did not notice any fluid leak so I immediately thought master cylinder.
Fast forward to this weekend and it happened again, same thing open the cap and a vacuum, this time I can see a little fluid loss (will top later) but today at lunchtime the brakes are solid again.

Any ideas as I have never in my 30+ years come across this before?

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member

County: Essex
Mine are the same on one of my 156s. I need to take a closer look. I'm going to check the caliper pistons are free, bleed the brakes, check pressure hoses whilst someone presses the brake pedal hard. The brake system gets air in over time, it should be bled every time the pads are changed!
AO Member

County: Greater London
Been a busy week on my Alfa GT.

Got my front bumper, rear bumper, and front off side wing repainted. Very good job for 380 which I thought was reasonable.

Bought some vgc rear tail lights and replaced them for my old faded ones.

Took the front scuttle off the windscreen to unclog the drain hole thar had been causing my passenger footwell to flood.

Bought a second hand climate control fan to replace the non working one.

Took the door card off the passenger door to re attach the handle linkage so it would open from the outside again.

Finally today I'll swap my old 16" wheels for a new set of 17" multi spokes.

Been quite a learning curve! Lord knows how much money I saved doing it myself!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I fitted the rectangular EGR blanking plate to go with the oval shaped one.
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Where did you get the Aerotwins and how much did they cost?

I've decided that my trials with RainX are a failure.. It lasted less than 2 days this time... It doesn't shed the water quick enough any more and leaves horrible smears and a kinda snakeskin effect of water droplets when I use the wipers..

Also - Anyone got top tips to remove that crap?
If you want to remove it then you'll need to clay your screen and then use a good glass cleaner.
I still recommend you try Angelwax H2G0. No smears and lasts for months.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
I still recommend you try Angelwax H2G0. No smears and lasts for months.
I bought some a few weeks back and it is good. Definitely better than rain-x. It still needs 50mph to disperse the water, but it is much better than rain-x when using the wipers. I used to get wiper squeeks and a misty effect that followed the wipers with rain-x. The trick with angelwax is that you need a very dry windshield to start with and need to leave it alone for 10mins, then buff it off.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
I bought some a few weeks back and it is good. Definitely better than rain-x. It still needs 50mph to disperse the water, but it is much better than rain-x when using the wipers. I used to get wiper squeeks and a misty effect that followed the wipers with rain-x. The trick with angelwax is that you need a very dry windshield to start with and need to leave it alone for 10mins, then buff it off.
The best prep for H2G0 is to clay and then use Angelwax Vision glass cleaner. It removes all grease, traffic film and anything else that can ruin the effectiveness of glass sealant. Also use it to clean your wiper blades, something most forget to do.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Daytona, sounds like you've been quite busy!
AO Member

County: Greater London
Yes - simple little things that add up if your dependent on a garage, but I'm from a generation where you fixed things in principle ( let alone saving some dosh!! ). Besides every time I do this, I learn more which stand in good stead for the next time.

I can field strip my motorcycle ( Daytona ) blindfold!!
AO Member

Member car:

GT 916 spider

Sold my 147 today after 6 years of ownership

Have a newer nice shiney Q2 spec GT to replace it with
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Northamptonshire
Garage
Top hat bushes done, completely perished and the linkage was bone dry, all greased up and now selecting gears smooth.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durty dog View Post
Top hat bushes done, completely perished and the linkage was bone dry, all greased up and now selecting gears smooth.
Got a pictorial how-to guide?

My new top-hat bushes just arrived in the post along with the replacement slave cylinder! Gonna have a go at getting elbows deep and greasy in my beauty on Monday I think..
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Greased my upper arms and rear arm bushes
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Northamptonshire
Garage
Quote:
Got a pictorial how-to guide?

My new top-hat bushes just arrived in the post along with the replacement slave cylinder! Gonna have a go at getting elbows deep and greasy in my beauty on Monday I think..
Here you go, best guide on here, i done the job in about an hour.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...em-bushes.html
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Had a good rummage today:

1. Replaced slave cylinder.
2. Cleaned and lubricated the bushes on the clutch actuator arm.
3. Replaced gear selector top-hat bushes (these were actually very clean and not at all worn when I got to them, still replaced them anyway as I was in there!)
4. Cleaned and lubed the gear selector arms and ball sockets!

Having never done any of this type of thing before, I have to say the forum here has been top-notch for info (and thanks AutoLusso for getting the new parts to me swiftly)... 3 hours all in all, not bad for a first timer I reckon! Plus saved myself a chunk of money rather than getting someone else to look at it all!

AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Wiped the bird crap off the bonnet of the wife's 156 today.
Its been there since Friday, and the OCD finally kicked in
AO Silver Member

Changed the wiper linkage on my GT, if anyone wants the old knackered one to fix up they can have it for free, else it's off to the tip next time I go.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberson1 View Post
Changed the wiper linkage on my GT, if anyone wants the old knackered one to fix up they can have it for free, else it's off to the tip next time I go.
Having seen the state of it on Facebook I think I'll give it a miss!.....
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
Having seen the state of it on Facebook I think I'll give it a miss!.....
That wasn't mine lol, mines covered in fibreglass and gaffa tape

Some people fix em up to sell on though.
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I currently hate my GT. The first for me with this car. On Friday coming back from near Chester to home (about 35 miles) I wound the driver's side window at our friend's to reverse down his drive and it would not go up. All the ****ing way home with it half raining and damn cold.

Stripped the door down Saturday and connected it to the mains to get the bloody window up. It seems crap there is no manual method of winding it up. Well none I could see.

I'm suspecting the window switch or the bottom right box is at fault.
Bleedin inconvenient
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
I currently hate my GT. The first for me with this car. On Friday coming back from near Chester to home (about 35 miles) I wound the driver's side window at our friend's to reverse down his drive and it would not go up. All the ****ing way home with it half raining and damn cold.

Stripped the door down Saturday and connected it to the mains to get the bloody window up. It seems crap there is no manual method of winding it up. Well none I could see.

I'm suspecting the window switch or the bottom right box is at fault.
Bleedin inconvenient
Mine did that before but then it just started working again on its own.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Garage
Windows.....

What did I do to my 156 today? I changed the useless computer screen on the dash. It had the usual fault of working when cold then fading away as the car warmed up. A second-hand slimline screen has dine the trick. The only difficult bit was separating the wiring connector which is inaccessible. You can see it but reaching it and pulling it apart is tricky and involves lying with your head in the passenger foot-well and swearing a lot.
The screen now works fine, but why oh why does the rear offside window motor no longer function?? And for that matter, why has the horn stopped working? The relevant fuses seem to be intact.

Agggggh.
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Sorted my reverse sensor wires being shorted by replacing the wires to the switch where it splits off the wiring loom near the battery.
Cleaned the switches under the seat of the Mrs 147 with contact cleaner and hereby shut up the airbag light that had been showing.
Narrowed down the strong vibrations at speeds over 60mph in her car to tires or wheels by swapping wheels with her and now the vibration moved to my car...
Hope a trip to the tyre mongers sorts that out soon.

Edit: replaced the upper turbo hose on my car too a couple of days ago

Last edited by imski; 25-12-14 at 19:07. Reason: failing memory

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today