What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 20 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

"On mine the plug on the passenger side looks identical to the one on the drivers side,"

Maybe it's an age related thing (mine is a 54 plate) you know the "continuous improvement" blah blah. But if you can grip the handle and it won't pull out then something is wrong (you knew that already didn't you).

Maybe somebody did glue it in the past or spilled some kind of gunk on it. All I can think of is to keep working on it gently (but watch the bulb movement from outside the headlamp as you do it) - hopefully you'll eventually break the seal not the bulb holder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Checked and tightened the rear suspension bolts etc from a arm and suspension upper bearing change about 12 months ago. The drop links on one side had come a little loose.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Northamptonshire
Garage
Booked the GT in for its Matt black vinyl wrapping for the roof next Tuesday, pics to follow.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durty dog View Post
Booked the GT in for its Matt black vinyl wrapping for the roof next Tuesday, pics to follow.
Matt black eh?

What's the base colour, and how much is it costing?

I'm considering a clear wrap over the bumper/bonnet/sills to try and protect the tissue paper paintwork from stone chips!
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Matt black eh?

What's the base colour, and how much is it costing?

I'm considering a clear wrap over the bumper/bonnet/sills to try and protect the tissue paper paintwork from stone chips!
The base paint colour is gabbi blue and I'm not a lover so I've fitted the black alfa badges on rims, bonnet and boot, vinyl wrapped the front indicators with fly eye vinyl and I'm plasti dipping the alloys hopefully this weekend depending on the air temp. 100 quid for the roof to be done in matte vinyl that includes removal of the head lining and antenna. He is going to quote for the whole car when he sees all the nooks and crannies he has to consider.
AO Silver Member

Sounds pretty reasonable.. I'll look forward to seeing the results when you post em!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
I'm plasti dipping the alloys hopefully this weekend depending on the air temp.
black for the wheels?
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
black for the wheels?
Yes but i will add a lacquer to give it a gloss look, this is what the GT will eventually look like and ready for next years shows. Yellow calipers are being done at the moment but wont go on till after xmas.
Attachment 423193

Last edited by Durty dog; 21-01-15 at 17:59.
(Post Link) post #484 of 2909 Old 26-11-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Rather what someone else did to my GT today..

Some F'wit decided to scribe a key down my front wing and rear panel...Words defy me.

Damien.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post

Some F'wit decided to scribe a key down my front wing and rear panel...Words defy me.

Damien.
That is bad
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiana View Post
Cleaned the righthand side of my car as had the drivers door repainted yesterday....again.looks loads better now mind.
Quote:

Damien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberson1 View Post
That is bad
It is, and whilst I never condone vandalism of any kind this of all defeats me completely (I think some street painting for example is rather good). Simply put, 'why would you?'
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Garage
Quote:

Damien.
Some good old fashioned justice needs administering :bat:
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:

Damien.
There's some idiots about.
How bad is it, do you think it'll come out with a 2/3-stage correction or is it down to the metal?
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:

Damien.

Sorry to hear that.

County: Warwickshire
Thumbs Up

sorted the air bag light on car i bought, one less item on the ever growing list, would be nice to get it to run properly after the full engine replacement after previous owner took it for a bath
AO Member

County: Essex
Damp in the electrics, I hate the clips on Alfa electrics, there are detailed instructions for the individual connector clasps but a good light and a small flat blade screw driver makes it easier? Get to it soon or the oxidisation will set in!!
AO Member

Member car:

gt

Quote:

Damien.
cnuts
AO Member

Member car:

gt

Quote:
Yes but i will add a lacquer to give it a gloss look, this is what the GT will eventually look like and ready for next years shows. Yellow calipers are being done at the moment but wont go on till after xmas.
Attachment 423193
that look is best left to the audi brigade,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and its so last year now anyway
AO Member

Dash cam with a massive usb storage, I don't know what the battery drain is on one of those things, but I may ask santa for 1. I wouldn't use it for recording my driving though
AO Member

Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdelta View Post
that look is best left to the audi brigade,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and its so last year now anyway
V nice. I was going to go red, then yellow, but Im seeing a lot of factory cars with yellow ones these days. I might go for ninja green?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (89.9 KB, 9 views)
AO Silver Member

Lovingly hand washed again today, applied copious amounts of RainX (the last application only lasted about 3 days ), and am considering having a go at waxing.. I bought the turtle wax weeks ago but never got round to it... Will be nice to have the extra protection for the winter up and down the motorway!

Also topped up my tyres, I'm embarrassed to say that they were all 10+ PSI short of the target ...

Bloody surprising as I bought it from a dealer about 6-7 weeks ago and had it "health checked" at a local garage the week after that, and has been into yet another garage for tracking on week, and a tracking correction the next.. I had stupidly assumed that it would have been checked/topped up by any 1 of the 3 garages!!!

At least that sheds some light on the funny handling and constant feeling of tram-lining/tracking weirdness..
AO Member

Member car:

GT 916 spider

found a nice GT yesterday and advertised my 147 for sale today
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Lovingly hand washed again today, applied copious amounts of RainX (the last application only lasted about 3 days ), and am considering having a go at waxing.. I bought the turtle wax weeks ago but never got round to it... Will be nice to have the extra protection for the winter up and down the motorway!

Also topped up my tyres, I'm embarrassed to say that they were all 10+ PSI short of the target ...

Bloody surprising as I bought it from a dealer about 6-7 weeks ago and had it "health checked" at a local garage the week after that, and has been into yet another garage for tracking on week, and a tracking correction the next.. I had stupidly assumed that it would have been checked/topped up by any 1 of the 3 garages!!!

At least that sheds some light on the funny handling and constant feeling of tram-lining/tracking weirdness..
If you want the best from your waxing efforts, including lasting protection you'll want to properly decontaminate the lacquer. Start with a fallout remover around the lower sections of the car then a good prewash/snow foam and two bucket wash. Then the all important clay bar and another two bucket wash, rinse and dry. Then polish and finally apply your wax.
Sounds like a huge faff but it's worth the effort and every wash afterwards will be much easier.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommywho156 View Post
If you want the best from your waxing efforts, including lasting protection you'll want to properly decontaminate the lacquer. Start with a fallout remover around the lower sections of the car then a good prewash/snow foam and two bucket wash. Then the all important clay bar and another two bucket wash, rinse and dry. Then polish and finally apply your wax.
Sounds like a huge faff but it's worth the effort and every wash afterwards will be much easier.
That does sound like a faff...Especially since I just finished turtle waxing the whole lot and I'm not sure how much of a difference it made.. Was black and shiny before, is black and shiny after.. I guess we'll see on the next rain storm!

TBH I'd rather pay someone to do a "big" wash/wax like that once a year, then I do the smaller stuff between...

I usually use my pressure washer chemical sprayer loaded up with dilute car shampoo on a wide fan setting as a pre-wash.. It's enough to lift the traffic film and get the junk moving at least... Let that site for 10 mins or so while I whip round with the alloy wheel spray (non acid of course) and brush/bucket.. Rinse it all down after that then two-bucket the rest of it with a noodle glove.. Rinse again, then dry it (if I can find a clean microfibre towel..)... Then RainX and/or wax after that...

There's a local mobile valet company that do a special "Dark Matter" package for black cars.. Might take them up on that in the new year once the worst of the winter muck is off the road..
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Found Rain-X a waste of time ... eventually scratches up from using the wipers and a real faff to remove. I prefer a good set or Aerotwin blades and a clean screen.

Anyway today ... fitted a better battery awaiting the new one next week (so the Pug 206 isn't going far ... same battery type and newer but I have a 360 mile round trip tomorrow and 156 is much more comfy (and fun!).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today