What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 114 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 2.4 20v

Well yesterday I fixed the leaky sump with some JBweld( serviced it at the same time) hopefully it works for the mean time.

And today I fixed my issue with the glow plugs not actually working which was all down to a fuse which was absent from the engine fuse box, had replaced the Relay with no luck, so was going to replace all 5 plugs as at 176k miles they prob were shot but they tested fine on the multi meter but were getting no power so thought a dud Relay( was a used item), read the handbook, checked all fuses and the 70a for the glow plugs and fuel oil resistances( whatever that is) was missing, quick trip to ecp and 1.04 lighter and no more glow plug error 😁

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cosmichamster

Not so much what I've done today but what I now need to do!

Bought a battered 156 as my old Toledo gave up the ghost, purely for traveling to work.

Had MOT until June 17 and mileage was low, so took the gamble.

After leaving it into mechanic today re a vdc fault, he more or less told me it's the least of my worries and repairs are more than the car is worth..... Arghhhh.

Collecting tomorrow but on the phone basically new front lower and upper wishbones, welding underneath, discs/brakes at the rear, vdc might have been the abs fuse but could be wiring........and more.

To be fair it cost me 600, 03 facelift 156 1.9jtdm with 84,000 miles. I think he maybe bought his last MOT over the phone but more fool me for buying a dud

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Rear discs and pads today, to follow the fronts sorted out yesterday.

Gave everything a cleanup, painted the calipers and carriers, replaced the pad slides, and removed/cleaned/lubed the slide pins thoroughly! Fresh clean Castrol React Performance brake fluid flushed through too! She goes, she stops

Completely aborted replacing the hoses at the rear though... Brake line nut is 100% seized to the line... Broke free from the hose again, but just twisted the brake line any time I tried to turn it.. Figured I'd best leave that alone rather than put a twist/kink into the brake line! I'll let Loz sort that out on my next trip over to Bournemouth!

Pretty sure I've got some air into the ABS module/Master cylinder though, as pedal does feel rather spongy... Put about a litre of brake fluid through the lines, coming out lovely and clean, no bubbles at all... Adapters on order to allow my ELM unit talk to the ABS module to cycle the valves etc., so will have to just deal with it for a few days..

But when those PF pads bite, they don't half grip well! Managed to lock up the tyres on tarmac, never managed that on the original kit!

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 14-10-16 at 22:34.
AO Member

Something definitely wasn't right there, with your old kit - I have OEM front and rear brakes and they lock (to the point of ABS intervention) perfectly.

The brake hardlines are made of cheese, even here with nil corrosion they want to twist as you experienced. I found penetrant, good blast with air, more penetrant and an initial twist in the tightening direction, helped. Also, hanging on to the flex's hex with a 17mm spanner until progress was clearly happening.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
Something definitely wasn't right there, with your old kit - I have OEM front and rear brakes and they lock (to the point of ABS intervention) perfectly.

The brake hardlines are made of cheese, even here with nil corrosion they want to twist as you experienced. I found penetrant, good blast with air, more penetrant and an initial twist in the tightening direction, helped. Also, hanging on to the flex's hex with a 17mm spanner until progress was clearly happening.
It was all standard kit I took off, dirty but functional... Old pads/discs with uneven transfer of pad material to the front discs so it pulsed on hard braking.. Lipped discs font and back, squeaked like **** too! Slide pins all moved easily enough, perhaps a little rough in patches... A variety of different colour greases was applied to the front slide pins/bolt when I found them mind.. So someone has been in there before and gooped them up.

Pair that with decent Goodyear tyres, and the tyre-tarmac friction was always greater than the pad-disc...

Still all seems to have cleaned up nicely now.. Fresh lick of paint, silicone paste lube on all the slide pins, a conservative smear of Ceratec on the pads to help them glide nicely... Smooth and silent the whole way

I tried many way to break the nut free from the pipe! Bathed it in penetrating oil, tried tightening, loosening it, more penetrating oil, wiggling back and forth, turning the nut as far as I dared despite the line starting to twist, more penetrating oil, chocking the brake line to prevent the loop section acting like a lever on the line that disappears under the body etc.. All with the hose union held in place by a 17mm spanner.. These methods all worked at the front, but no joy at the rear...

Since I have neither a brake line flaring tool, spare brake line, unions, nor experience in any of the previous, I figured it wasn't worth pursuing just for the sake of replacing a set of perfectly functioning hoses with braided ones.

Now if anyone has a step-by-step procedure for the ABS unit cycling (8 valves, 1 motor?!?) I'd appreciate being pointed in that direction!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Had four new Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 tyres fitted and four wheel tracking done, feels like a different car now. Much better ride and quieter than the Michelin PS3's I had before which were too hard on 18's. They lasted 15k miles which I suppose is not too bad for a GT V6.
baxter2308 and sneaker like this.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Just had clutch replaced on my 147 by garage, now in the middle of radiator replacement. Got stuck on removing and refitting the little plastic elbows on the radiator which I have now done...after much swearing!!! Final problem is 2 broken off bolts that hold the bottom rail on, will probably need to see my mechanic friend to drill out the remains. Guess it'll be the train to work again on monday
AO Member

County: Dorset
Got my GT 3.2 back from Autolusso b'mouth. MOT, new downpipes, repaired horn, windscreen washers and fitted new control buttons on steering wheel.

The old downpipes fell apart as they were being removed, proper knackered. Now drives and sounds ****ing amazing!
bobulon likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
Had four new Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 tyres fitted and four wheel tracking done, feels like a different car now. Much better ride and quieter than the Michelin PS3's I had before which were too hard on 18's. They lasted 15k miles which I suppose is not too bad for a GT V6.
How do the asymmetrics compare to ps3's for rim protection?
AO Member

County: Sweden
Garage
Today I tore apart the center console to replace 1 fan control bulb and 1 fuel gauge bulb. Only to find out after replacing the fuel bulb that the bulb for the fan speed control was some sort of pre made small bulb attached to a plastic bit. Couldn't buy just one of them without having to spend 29 pounds for a whole set of different colors so decided to give a damn about it.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmerydolmeo View Post
Similar I would say, certainly not as good as the rim protection on the Assymetric 2's I had before the PS3's. Driven on the Assymetric 3's a bit more now and pretty impressed so far.

Unhappy 147 t.spark 1.6 eco 105cv

someone know how many spark plugs need this alfa romeo 147 t.spark 1.6 eco 105cv? how many 4 or 8? if it's 8, 4 and 4 different? 10mm or 14mm? I'm lost!

thank youu
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim48 View Post
someone know how many spark plugs need this alfa romeo 147 t.spark 1.6 eco 105cv? how many 4 or 8? if it's 8, 4 and 4 different? 10mm or 14mm? I'm lost!

thank youu
Being a diseaselist I wouldn't know which brands are best but you will need 4 of each size: Alfa Romeo 147 Spark/Glow Plug

AO Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
Similar I would say, certainly not as good as the rim protection on the Assymetric 2's I had before the PS3's. Driven on the Assymetric 3's a bit more now and pretty impressed so far.
I'd also say the Assymetic 3's aren't as good as 2's for rim protection. Otherwise the drive feels the same to me
alexsud

Collecting my car today from Autodelta where its been getting some tlc, cambelt etc before the long drive back to Manchester tomorrow cant wait !
addo likes this.

AO Member

That's over 120 miles, right? Decent time to shake it down.
bobulon and alexsud like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsud View Post
Collecting my car today from Autodelta where its been getting some tlc, cambelt etc before the long drive back to Manchester tomorrow cant wait !
What Alfa have you got? Autodelta is a long way to go from Manchester..
alexsud likes this.
alexsud

Bought my Alfasud ti 105 a week ago from a very nice chap in North London, who gets his collection of Alfas looked after at Autodelta....so I had the work done there, and I'm glad I did, what a drive home !

AO Member

First lap of the block in the "new to me" Selespeed today; first ever stint in a Selespeed car fullstop. Can see Gendan getting a few bob off me to sort the box with an MES kit, if the Maxidas won't talk with it properly.

Workshop consensus on the replacement motor I bought: "It goes hard!" That's in a fully smogged car, too.
AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
Booked the SW JTD in for MOT next week!
I have a 600+mile round trip the day before, so hope car is ok on trip and MOT!
AO Member

Boiler leaked into ceiling, shorting electrics. Had to get takeaway, got puncture in my 156. Managed to get home and eventually picked the takeaway up in my GT 3.2. See I do need 2 cars!
ferret-ears likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

Felt sorry for my local garage today. 156 failed its MoT on a rotten subframe and knackered wheel bearing. Got a call at 530 saying they haven't finished it yet as every single bolt and fitting snapped or needed to be acetylene torched off. Not looking forward to seeing the labour bill. Depending on how it goes, I might take them a tray of Krispy Kreme donuts to try and make up for inflicting them with a troublesome car.
bobulon likes this.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Boiler leaked into ceiling, shorting electrics. Had to get takeaway, got puncture in my 156. Managed to get home and eventually picked the takeaway up in my GT 3.2. See I do need 2 cars!
It's a pity you're not an MP 'cos what you really needed was a second home.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
It's a pity you're not an MP 'cos what you really needed was a second home.
I do actually have a second home, although it's dirty as I never clean it!
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Melbourne, Australia-
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
I do actually have a second home, although it's dirty as I never clean it!
Perfect for a dirty weekend then

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today