What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 113 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1179Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Status: -
AO Member
 
maly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Armagh
Posts: 102
Garage
Just picked up my 156 form Eurofix in Lisburn
Coolant leak fixed
Oil leak fixed
Clutch replaced
:-) :-) :-) :-)
maly85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
maly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Armagh
Posts: 102
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
I considered selling my 147 Q2, decided against it and then bought it a present so hopefully it won't hate me!
Where did you get this setup ?
maly85 is offline  
Status: Cold...
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
baxter2308's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 2209
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 868
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maly85 View Post
Where did you get this setup ?
They are 305mm MiTo Brembo calipers which I understand bolt onto a 147 no problem so long as you have the brackets. I would have liked a 330mm kit but fitting these to a 147 can be tricky as they don't fit all 17" wheels and replacing alloys/tires etc gets even more expensive. But I digress... As for the ones I bought, you can still get them new from Brembo MiTo Bremssattel Set für 305 mm Bremsanlage - Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos but they are tough on the wallet. Pud237 recommended a supplier on eBay who sells them for quite a bit less if you don't get caught in a bidding war. (Cheers Pud).

Here's the link to the seller and item so if you're interested in a kit do check his shop from time to time: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1723467787...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

_The_Editor_ likes this.



147 Sport Q2: Autolusso Remap + Swirl Flap & EGR Delete, Mocal Oil Cooler Kit, JTD Performance FMIC Kit + High Flow Elbow, Wizard Downpipe, PF Pads + 5.1 Fluid, Autolusso Braided Brake Lines, MTech Short-Shifter, Autolusso Silicone Turbo-to-MAF Hose, Refurbed Q2's + Some to add later.
baxter2308 is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
At 50% of sale price, a bit heavy on the "spedizione"!

Today was one of the warmer days yet, this Spring. I spent it laying across the bitumen, and generally running about doing redneck panelwork on the bent 147. Without a wooden power pole out the front, I'd be up the proverbial creek. Have used it on three cars now with chain, chocks and a ratcheting cable puller (AKA come-along). Pulled the front crossmember more or less straight, popped on a fairly decent bumper. Gently pressed the bonnet to halve the kinking, adjusted up its latch and voila! The car went from looking battered to maybe a little tired but not demolished. Spare wheel well is still crumpled like a crumpled thing but the back bumper popped out of its own accord, masking the damage.

One positive in all this, is when you've owner-serviced your automotive tat for years, it starts to become "better" than many equivalent age/mileage cars around the traps that are serviced by garages. I've got the time to make sure all screws go back as the factory intended, I clean things more fully, line up pieces to look like new. Makes in-depth operations more predictable and less grimy.
bobulon likes this.

Last edited by addo; 06-10-16 at 14:02.
addo is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
County: Sweden
Posts: 28
Garage
Today I changed both parking lights. 2 H6W for 10 pounds. Rare to find in my town.
Also swapped the PY21W front turn signals. Those were 2 quid a pair but probably bad quality. They did blink more orange than the old ones but i expected them to do more. Is it something in the headlight housing that's worn out? - making it not as orange perhaps?

God, one lid to the headlight/parking light housing was a pain in the a*** to loosen up.

Next thing is check the coolant level and have the left parkingbrake wire, better attached to the undercarriage
bobulon likes this.
Wester is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 261
Took apart a donor window switch today and made good my broken one thanks to the useless garage who broke it. Could of just swapped one for one but by doing this it saved having to proxy align it.
bobulon likes this.
dominic2115 is offline  
Status: Howling around Leicestershire
AO Silver Member
 
ferret-ears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,147
Images: 77
Spent all day yesterday fixing my non functioning fog light.
Jacked car up, removed O/S/F wheel and arch liner, N/S/F bumper fixings can be accessed from the top, removed front bumper, re-sealed N/S indicator, removed & resealed both headlights, upgraded fog light bulbs, found that the BROWN wire to the O/S/F fog light had come detached, so I crimped the connector and refitted, all good nice and tight now.
While the bumper was off I took the opportunity to treat the oil pipe connectors plus anything else that looked a bit shabby.
bobulon likes this.
ferret-ears is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Wiltshire
Posts: 261
Dropped the GT at Autolusso Bournemouth and met Lawrence. Can't wait for him to sort out this misfire for me.
dominic2115 is offline  
Status: Happy Dancin
Club Member
Membro Medio
 
bobulon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
County: Melbourne, Australia-
Posts: 362
Garage

Member car:

2003 147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Got around to fitting my retrimmed interior handle today, happy man, it fits great looks good and even feels nicer when you grab it.
Attachment 629938
Edraven71, have my drivers door card off to install a new regulator for the window, and also some perforated leather. So today I would like to do this awesome mod, can you please tell me how you got the handle free of the door card as i have no idea where to even start as I'm worried I will break the handle or the door card, or both
bobulon is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
County: -
Posts: 4
Unhappy Today's task!

After being charged £50 for an auto electrician to come out to look at my recently purchased £300 156 2.4jtd sport wagon, to investigate the air bag warning light ... who informed me I'd best just scrap it it'd cost 1k to sort out.. there a fault saying drivers side curtain air bag fault.. it'd be because of water ingress from the sun roof dripping down the A pillar... whole headlining etc would have to come out would need re wiring etc. Etc.

This afternoon with this grim news in mind I've stripped one side of the trim headline etc. Seems the auto electrician was talking ********. The electrical contacts for the curtain bag I find are in the bloody boot, and there no evidence of a drop of water anywhere.
So now i know where things are and everything seems to be as it should be, how do I progress? Do I need to buy myself a code reader to allow me to try to reset the dammed thing, as reading it seems 156's don't auto reset?
How do those delicate looking connectors separate I'd rather not use brute force.
I have switch cleaner etc.. any advice would be gratefully received.
Paul56gill is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 41,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56gill View Post
After being charged £50 for an auto electrician to come out to look at my recently purchased £300 156 2.4jtd sport wagon, to investigate the air bag warning light ... who informed me I'd best just scrap it it'd cost 1k to sort out.. there a fault saying drivers side curtain air bag fault.. it'd be because of water ingress from the sun roof dripping down the A pillar... whole headlining etc would have to come out would need re wiring etc. Etc.

This afternoon with this grim news in mind I've stripped one side of the trim headline etc. Seems the auto electrician was talking ********. The electrical contacts for the curtain bag I find are in the bloody boot, and there no evidence of a drop of water anywhere.
So now i know where things are and everything seems to be as it should be, how do I progress? Do I need to buy myself a code reader to allow me to try to reset the dammed thing, as reading it seems 156's don't auto reset?
How do those delicate looking connectors separate I'd rather not use brute force.
I have switch cleaner etc.. any advice would be gratefully received.
Unplug connections in boot, spray with contact cleaner, plug them back in again. I would also suggest putting a tight cable tie around the plugs so they are held together nicely rather than relying on the old plastic clip. Then you just need to reset the codes. Put your carpet back in nicely. Job done.
jimbo147, will01 and sneaker like this.
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
With encouragement from bazzbazz, got the repowered 147 running. I'd failed to tighten home an earth after removing it to reposition some of the motor harness, and it was throwing all sorts of baffling failures at me.

Found it was easier to adjust the clutch pushrod when the position sensor wasn't unplugged... Cooling system all filled and purged, want to clean up the tiller before reinstalling it - was plain gross with years of finger dirt. Also discovered the (hitherto unknown to myself) return line filter sock on the PAS. Somehow it was not correctly positioned, and bobbing about like a bottle with a message in it. Removed, washed by spraying with brake cleaner, refitted with some swearing at the fiddliness of it all. Definitely, a Good Car Day overall, but tiring.
addo is offline  
Status: still excited(shoudn't be)
AO Gold Member
 
ARnovice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The land of burning...
County: Berkshire
Posts: 7,888
Images: 3
Replaced two main beam H7 bulbs with Phillips X-treme vision. Will check tonight how they are.

Did it in 10 minutes - very proud and smug
ARnovice is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Boness
County: Fife
Posts: 15

Member car:

156 1.9it'd 8v

Well Happy

Owned the 156 sw 8v jtd, plenty of go and 55mpg!! for 6 weeks here is a list of work I've done, I'm no mechanic and I've basic tooling hopefully guys wishing to buy an alfa for the first time can find helpful.
I made some ramps out of some planks of 2"x9" timbers giving approximately 14" of elevation though driving up half way is plenty lol.
Upper and lower turbo hose replacements and renewed jubilee clips.
Engine oil 5w 40 and filter renewed.
Pollen, fuel and air filter changed, air filter was a sod but managed a decent repair to airbox lid.
Removed egr valve and cleaned also removed the blanking plate but soon after refitted as it affected the cars performance and running temp.
're aligned rear passenger door which now closes nicely.
Replaced rev counter lights (3)
Cleaned,oiled and eased upper workings of gear stick mechanism, was quite sticky moving left and right.
Removed refitted central info centre console, faulty screen so disconnected wires so no red glowing blank screen at night.
Repaired loose drivers door handle.
Rear wiper and motor delete due to main wiper shaft seized solid, and fitted rubber cap to hole in glass.
Refitted engine under tray was hanging too low.
Drivers sun visor swapped with passengers due to broken clip/spring.
Repaired engine cover was rattling due to worn rubber bushing.
All seats thoroughly steam cleaned massive improvement.
Jobs coming up
Fit new bonnet gas struts to boot lid enabling it to spring open when clicking remote fob.
Thermostat and coolant change as temp around 70*
Discs and pads change all round ill be going to halfords for the piston detractors tool at £15.
Sort passenger side sun visor lol
Suspected anti roll bar bush/track rod end replacement and renew the steering rack gaitor and cv boot but I've not the skill or nerve for it.
Fit aux I interface which is a blaupunkt 8 pin block with 3.5mm jack for mp3 input (tomorrow)

so as we can see a few jobs done with all the advice and help from here it would be something else parked in the drive that probably came with a Haynes workshop manual but hey,, third alfa so far and won't be the last
AussieAlex likes this.

Last edited by alfamonky; 10-10-16 at 20:23.
alfamonky is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamonky View Post
Removed egr valve and cleaned also removed the blanking plate but soon after refitted as it affected the cars performance and running temp.

Thermostat and coolant change as temp around 70*
Good work so far, but definitely worth re-visiting the EGR blank now that the thermostat is sorted!

It's the best thing you cant do for your engine!
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
lonerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
County: -
Posts: 20
Garage
I replaced lower right arm or wishbone, and it's hell of a hard and complicated work for first time, it bothered me for last few months the sound when i am going over bumps and i finally replaced it, now my car is almost perfectly fit, i only need to replace stabilizers, or stabilizer arms, don't know how you call it. they are not so bad yet, but going over really big bumps i can hear them sometime.
lonerunner is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Boness
County: Fife
Posts: 15

Member car:

156 1.9it'd 8v

Mr editor sir thanks for your reply,
I'll keep all posted, delight and enlighht here at alfaownersforum ������������

Last edited by alfamonky; 10-10-16 at 23:56.
alfamonky is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
Pollen filter removed today from the '02 Selespeed 147.

Note production date, 099th day of 2002. Dealer serviced car the first ten years of its life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2568.jpg (49.3 KB, 17 views)
addo is offline  
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,240
Attempted to do my front pads/discs today. Failed dismally when I found I hadn't got a 7mm Hex socket for the caliper bolts.. Got a 6mm, and an 8mm for the oil pan... But no 7mm

Tools ordered, have another go tomorrow.

Did manage to get under and replace a broken rubber exhaust hanger though, so wasn't a complete waste of a day.
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: Don't. Cut.
AO Member
 
sneaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Romania
County: Timiș
Posts: 117
Images: 1

Member car:

156 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
Note production date, 099th day of 2002.
Production date on the filter doesn't necessarily mean it's been there that long. Quite a coincidence the car is an '02 though.

I received my CTSAR001.2 today. Will have a go at wiring it to the steering wheel controls in the weekend (car didn't have them from factory).
sneaker is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
Hi, what I removed was the "one piece" pollen filter the cars are built with, I have never seen them sold as a spare part - only the two piece assemblies.
addo is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Boness
County: Fife
Posts: 15

Member car:

156 1.9it'd 8v

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamonky View Post
Owned the 156 sw 8v jtd, plenty of go and 55mpg!! for 6 weeks here is a list of work I've done, I'm no mechanic and I've basic tooling hopefully guys wishing to buy an alfa for the first time can find helpful.
I made some ramps out of some planks of 2"x9" timbers giving approximately 14" of elevation though driving up half way is plenty lol.
Upper and lower turbo hose replacements and renewed jubilee clips.
Engine oil 5w 40 and filter renewed.
Pollen, fuel and air filter changed, air filter was a sod but managed a decent repair to airbox lid.
Removed egr valve and cleaned also removed the blanking plate but soon after refitted as it affected the cars performance and running temp.
're aligned rear passenger door which now closes nicely.
Replaced rev counter lights (3)
Cleaned,oiled and eased upper workings of gear stick mechanism, was quite sticky moving left and right.
Removed refitted central info centre console, faulty screen so disconnected wires so no red glowing blank screen at night.
Repaired loose drivers door handle.
Rear wiper and motor delete due to main wiper shaft seized solid, and fitted rubber cap to hole in glass.
Refitted engine under tray was hanging too low.
Drivers sun visor swapped with passengers due to broken clip/spring.
Repaired engine cover was rattling due to worn rubber bushing.
All seats thoroughly steam cleaned massive improvement.
Jobs coming up
Fit new bonnet gas struts to boot lid enabling it to spring open when clicking remote fob.
Thermostat and coolant change as temp around 70*
Discs and pads change all round ill be going to halfords for the piston detractors tool at £15.
Sort passenger side sun visor lol
Suspected anti roll bar bush/track rod end replacement and renew the steering rack gaitor and cv boot but I've not the skill or nerve for it.
Fit aux I interface which is a blaupunkt 8 pin block with 3.5mm jack for mp3 input (tomorrow)

so as we can see a few jobs done with all the advice and help from here it would be something else parked in the drive that probably came with a Haynes workshop manual but hey,, third alfa so far and won't be the last
Auxiliary interface plugged in and nothing lol, a little research again I found by holding src down then power for one second then release src the head unit flicks to changer which seems to work well thankfully.
The boot for now I've discovered the two black poppers can be uncrowded to strengthen the popping up action enabling me to comfortably get my fingers in to lift the boot. Happy days
alfamonky is offline  
Status: now a diesel head..
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 1,583
Passed MOT with no advisories..

Undertray helped as the tester cant see the decat downpipe.



And despite the 240+ bhp and "lots"of Nm's the map is not smokey.

Happy days and all done for another year.

Always a relief.
alexsud likes this.
joeymannero is offline  
alexsud
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thought about my new car quite a lot today....Next Wednesday is D Day !
 
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,240
Gave battle against the seized front brake line unions, won in the end
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome