What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 112 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Ticked over 100k miles today on the way to work... Collected the car almost exactly 1 month shy of 2 years ago today at 32.5k on the clock...

A lot of miles later, and it's driving better than the day I picked it up! Still in rude health (6k oil changes go a long way towards that I assume), still manages a nice high speed blast across the Blackdown hills on the A303 without any coughs, splutters, smoke, or unexpected scary noises at all... Smooth as silk through the rev range, nice and linear pull from mid gear, and some squeaky dry powerflexed upper wishbone bushes... So she's doing well!

Here's to the next 100k :thumbpup:
edraven71 and baxter2308 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Berkshire
I personally didn't do much. However Laurence and his team replaced rear shocks and springs plus deleted EGR correctly.

Brilliant result!
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 16v

You must of been there when I rang up. Was meant to be there for Loz to check the clutch/judder out. Could of met another forum member!
AO Gold Member

Close call Luckily I managed to stay incognito

LittleGTV likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Did that clutch-easing procedure today on the GT. You know the one ...dribble oil down the shaft thingy. What i found out today, is that the fluid drops straight out the bottom, misses the engine cover, and lands on your driveway. Lucky i was quick to get a tray under there.

Feels much lighter now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Zuhayb

County: -
Today I did something productive lol.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...af5b8cbb93.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...7090e47fe8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO Member

County: Fife

Member car:

156 1.9it'd 8v

Engine oil and filter changed, air filter and fuel filter changed, 're blanked off egr quite a difference in running
AO Gold Member

Bought an interior for my wagon. Blimey. Didn't expect it to happen that quick. Luckily there was one in stock.
I had to move fast - my driver seat became too obviously wobbly to pass MOT today. Both sad and happy day I think.
AO Member

I had a wobbly seat, the weld-on nuts that secured the backrest to the tilting mechanism had come loose. Careful re-attaching with Loctite and a good torqueing worked for me; it seems fine. The nuts have a locating boss in their centre so sloppiness is not really possible. My theory is they cracked loose from their tack welds in the factory and were never correctly tightened.

Meanwhile, I found this had happened with the old release bearing - one wear pad completely AWOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Release_Bearing_Wear_sml.jpg (90.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by addo; 27-09-16 at 12:22.
AO Member

Bit of effort went in today, more the pulling together of various stages in works prior.

Scuffed the flywheel; too parsimonious for a proper Blanchard cut, torqued it on with sealant and re-using the bolts. New clutch plate, the box of universal clutch mandrels was missing so I used a section of swaged tube that fitted snugly in the disc and centred it on the pressure plate fingers with a steel rule. Inside bellhousing was FILTHY, it took an hour with solvent and a toothbrush before a spritz of brake cleaner was effectual.

Removed and cleaned the release fork and bushes, everything copper greased with Wurth CU800. Box mated up, it slotted straight in so I think my friction disc was well-positioned.

Most of the junk I haven't yet cleaned, I can get to from either the engine compartment or below with a jet washer. But it's nice to put clean stuff together. I also copper-slipped the lower wishbone bolts, anti-roll bar saddle clamp bolts and the steering rack bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch_Fitted_1_sml.jpg (103.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Release_Bearing_Fitted_sml.jpg (113.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Reunited_Driveline_sml.jpg (124.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Subframe_Ready_sml.jpg (126.4 KB, 30 views)
AussieAlex and baxter2308 like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

^ impressive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AO Gold Member

New (-ish) front seats are in place. Was finishing at 8 pm last night, so it was pretty dark
There is no airbag light staying on, so I declare it as 'Result!'
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 16v

So today I got the car back after having the fmic installed and a lovely 2.5" stainless exhaust made up. Thanks to the guys at Lead Foot Racing in larkhill. These guys have made me a fantastic system, at full boost the noise is great, but still civil at cruising and town speeds. Had a slightly different tip added as it filled the gap in the bumper better. I also had split induction pipes so this has been replaced with a different filter and solid pipework. Customer service from these guys was second to none. Car feels far more eager now!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_1785605748386930_1475179872100.jpg (112.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg received_1785605725053599_1475179893049.jpeg (91.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg received_1785606151720223_1475179910290.jpg (95.2 KB, 29 views)
Zuhayb likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGTV View Post
So today I got the car back after having the fmic installed and a lovely 2.5" stainless exhaust made up. Thanks to the guys at Lead Foot Racing in larkhill. These guys have made me a fantastic system, at full boost the noise is great, but still civil at cruising and town speeds.
Is that a complete straight pipe exhaust, or is there a cat hiding further back?

EDIT:

Just seen your car on their Facebook page, straight pipe the whole way by the looks of it!

Also that looks like an odd routing for the FMIC piping.. Never seen it routed up between the battery and engine like that!
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 16v

It's straight through but there is still the option to have a back box put in place, which I may well still do. It certainly feels like it's made a difference.
AO Gold Member

back and side cushions of the rear seat are in place Only the seat parts left to install and it's done!

County: Cork
Garage
Voting now open for September http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...tion-vote.html (September 2016 AO Detailing Competition Vote)

Vote for whoever you think deserves to win

And October Detailing competition now open for entries http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...n-entries.html

Don't let the title put you off, it doesn't have to be a full detail, a wash & a clean will do, if the car looks good take some pics & submit them, please include some info on what you have done to the car

Check out the updated rules here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...ion-rules.html (Monthly Detailing Competition Rules)
AO Silver Member

H7R HID set fitted today, with an additional relay/harness to avoid electrical gremlins when the bulbs first fire up...

Went for a modest 5000k colour temperature rather than the 6500k+ options as I don't want it to look like a wannabe Audi with ice-white headlamps... Just a bit brighter and slightly whiter is good for me!

Total list of materials used:
  1. LondonColour 5000k H7R Slim AC ballast kit
  2. H7 HID Fused Relay Harness
  3. 1x HB4 Male bulb connector (had to modify the harness to fit nicely with the HID kit)
  4. 2x 3M adhesive foam pads to stick the ballast away
  5. Couple of zip-ties from the garage

No troubles with the install other than dodging the rain showers! Went for a dry-run earlier in the week to check spacing/positioning/connectors etc., which is where I discovered modding one connector on the relay harness would make everything a lot neater and waterproof! 22mm hole (I used a spade cutter) in the back of the headlight cover I found was a nice snug fit around the grommet in the HID kit, and no trouble locating grounding points on either side of the engine bay for the harness.

We'll see how it looks on my drive home Monday night!
pendragonfalls likes this.

Last edited by _The_Editor_; 01-10-16 at 15:28.
AO Gold Member

Interior swap is done.Lovely!
AO Member

Garage
Well, replaced the thermostat and fixed the problem with the xenon self-levelling on the sportwagon - now have lights that aim the right direction, and an engine that gets up to temperature (if only it'd stop gargling oil !)

Downside - found that some ****ard had snipped both airbag warning LEDs from the warning-lamp cluster
(Anyone know of one from a facelift (mine's a 2005 model) going a begging? )

There's still a handful of intermittent connector faults present, but that should prove easy enough to resolve
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

MOT time again, passed (again - that's 6 years in a row during my ownership) with advisories (which I knew about) tyres all legal but approaching the end of their lives (like me I suppose). Whoopee!!!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

I considered selling my 147 Q2, decided against it and then bought it a present so hopefully it won't hate me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1116.JPG (156.8 KB, 13 views)
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Yesterday..... 156....... NCT...... Passed
AO Member

County: Fife

Member car:

156 1.9it'd 8v

Pollen filter done, next job thermostat

massive thanks to alfa workshop for advice including how to change pollen filter, which after much caution and determination was successfully done, and quite interesting to discover that an original one peace filter was still in the car it was really manky pleased to change that, obviously too much aggravation for service girls and boys to carry this job out so well satisfied. Next job is thermostat change and coolant will need some luck with that
AO Member

Current 147 project is back on its feet today. No headlights, or front bumper. I found both foglight sockets in the front lights need the earth wire soldering directly - the spade connectors had overheated and cooked the wires' insulation. There's also a hidden crack in one headlight housing, I want to shonk up to keep it water resistant.

More disappointingly, I think I've upset something in the column after decoupling the rack, have now got immo, VDC and Selespeed failure messages that don't change whether the ECU or ABS computers are connected. Time to look for elearn online (any recommendations?) so I can trace back the wires and fuses...

One positive in all this - first sunroof car I have owned and this works beautifully!

Last edited by addo; 05-10-16 at 10:06.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today