What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 111 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Status: And on the eighth day God made Alfas..!
AO Gold Member
 
pendragonfalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ireland
County: Carlow
Posts: 6,595
Images: 20
Took out my shiny new expansion tank, that went in in January. Polish PVC is rubbish BTW and splits at the seams.

Replaced it with the old one, just as well I kept it, and all seems well now.

Buy cheap..... Buy twice
pendragonfalls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
 
_The_Editor_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 2,232
Had a good long blast across some lovey clear Dartmoor roads today which was a load of fun!

Definitely felt the limit of the brakes (all original parts still), so I'm glad I've got Performance Friction pads, new discs, braided lines, and Castrol React fluid all on the parts shelf in the garage to be fitted soon!

Suspension will need some love after that... ARB's and some new shocks I think... Best get saving
baxter2308 likes this.
_The_Editor_ is offline  
Status: Cold...
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
baxter2308's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 2209
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 866
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Had a good long blast across some lovey clear Dartmoor roads today which was a load of fun!

Definitely felt the limit of the brakes (all original parts still), so I'm glad I've got Performance Friction pads, new discs, braided lines, and Castrol React fluid all on the parts shelf in the garage to be fitted soon!

Suspension will need some love after that... ARB's and some new shocks I think... Best get saving
I'll race you to Eibach City
_The_Editor_ likes this.
baxter2308 is online now  
Zuhayb
Status: - Update
Guest
 
County: -
Posts: n/a
Newbie here, and my very first Alfa Cloverleaf 170 (sport button and LSD) GT...bought it last week, and fell in love with it.

Polished her up and took loads of pics lol. I have a list of mods to do, so will keep you guys posted.


http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...e7f0b9ec24.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...be376ce162.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...a84a856c1d.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...9b4ee575b5.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...84a856c1d7.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edraven71 likes this.
 
Status: The Rosso twins are here!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
edraven71's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 1612
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 3,674
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuhayb View Post
Newbie here, and my very first Alfa Cloverleaf 170 (sport button and LSD) GT...bought it last week, and fell in love with it.

Polished her up and took loads of pics lol. I have a list of mods to do, so will keep you guys posted.


http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...e7f0b9ec24.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...be376ce162.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...a84a856c1d.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...9b4ee575b5.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...84a856c1d7.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lovely, great colour as well, enjoy
Zuhayb likes this.
edraven71 is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
Nice bit of subframe damage discovered on the hoist...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.6 KB, 38 views)
addo is offline  
Status: Alfaless
AO Member
 
Alfa Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hants
Posts: 948

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Unhappy

After this mornings MOT I think my GT will be leaving me...
It failed on 3 points of corrosion which will require the carpet removed to rectify properly, with another 2 corrosion points being listed as advisories.
I did buy in haste a couple of years ago without looking underneath properly, the shiny black paint and red leather sold it and only at the first MOT did I realise I should have waited for a more solid example.
I've now got till the 22nd to decide what to do..with GT prices being so low it hardly seems worth repairing unfortunately.

Sprint - 33 - Sprint - 33 - 155 - GTV - GTV - 156 - GT ...gone German for now though.

Last edited by Alfa Seltzer; 15-09-16 at 23:48.
Alfa Seltzer is offline  
Status: age is only a number ;-)
AO Gold Member
 
rgwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Burnley-ish
County: Lancashire
Posts: 9,160
Depends what it'll cost to replace as opposed to repair, I guess. Why 22nd as a deadline - its still tested to 2 October, isn't it?
rgwm is offline  
Status: Alfaless
AO Member
 
Alfa Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hants
Posts: 948

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
Depends what it'll cost to replace as opposed to repair, I guess. Why 22nd as a deadline - its still tested to 2 October, isn't it?
The expiry date on the existing MOT certificate is 22nd September, it only failed on holey sills and a dodgy horn last year too but this was on easier to weld areas of the front sills.
At the mo I'm considering what to get next...unfortunately the 156/GT types cars are getting hard to find in decent condition, and I don't like the Mito or Giulietta so it may be something German/Japanese for a while
Alfa Seltzer is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 41,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Seltzer View Post
After this mornings MOT I think my GT will be leaving me...
It failed on 3 points of corrosion which will require the carpet removed to rectify properly, with another 2 corrosion points being listed as advisories.
I did buy in haste a couple of years ago without looking underneath properly, the shiny black paint and red leather sold it and only at the first MOT did I realise I should have waited for a more solid example.
I've now got till the 22nd to decide what to do..with GT prices being so low it hardly seems worth repairing unfortunately.
How much do you want for it and where are you based?
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Alfaless
AO Member
 
Alfa Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hants
Posts: 948

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
How much do you want for it and where are you based?
Not sure what its worth tbh, I'm near Southampton so may ask Laurence at your Poole branch if he has any use for it before putting an ad on eBay? I had my first two MOT's done there so he will hopefully remember me
Alfa Seltzer is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 41,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Seltzer View Post
Not sure what its worth tbh, I'm near Southampton so may ask Laurence at your Poole branch if he has any use for it before putting an ad on eBay? I had my first two MOT's done there so he will hopefully remember me
Southampton is a bit far for me, give Laurence a ring he might be interested.
Alfa Seltzer likes this.
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
I removed the bracketry, cam cover and sensors on my dead 2.0 motor to re-use. Cleaned all in the parts washer, then degreaser, rinsed and then detergent followed by a final rinse. Came up reasonably. Wet bead blasting would have been nicer on the big alloy brackets.
addo is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
Big fat WIN today, the new-to-me 147 confessed up its alternator - a 105A, 2013 manufacture Bosch item. Retail on this one item is more than the entire car cost me. Plus I sourced a new Valeo Selespeed clutch kit locally for equal of £140, another win there.
AussieAlex likes this.
addo is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
Scrubbing bits of the engine bay is one method of "getting to know your car". I have been enjoying a variation on this, having many duplicate items - both native to the '02 Selespeed and from the '05 manual donor. The simplest way I find to choose the best of two, is to clean both (parts washer or solvent degreaser spray, thence detergent scrub/rinse) and then compare. At least the sunshine has been in my favour - parts dry readily outdoors after the final hose down. Two sets of timing covers, crank dampers, valve covers, airboxes and ducting, radiator shrouding, coolant hoses...

I've been surprised to find that much of the '02 car is better than the '05, which clearly threw a belt in fairly spectacular fashion at some point (outgoing shrapnel damage to timing covers). Still it does seem weird at times to wash two of something, compare them, and promptly bin one. Sunday I start playing front subframe mix-n-match.
addo is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
What kind of putz does this? I presume they pried on the lug to loosen a water pump or adjust a pulley. Seriously, this engine appears to have been assembled from boneyard junk by people with negligible care factor.

It's missing location dowels in places too - including one of the tranny dowels, a driveshaft was loose "as found", starter had a loose bolt, the list goes on. I'm amazed it timed up OK.

In terms of "What have you done to your Alfa today?" I basically swore at its motor, a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Busted_Lug_Timing_Chest_sml.jpg (94.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Busted_Lug_Timing_Chest_sml_2.jpg (77.4 KB, 21 views)
AussieAlex and joeymannero like this.
addo is offline  
Status: Alfisti
AO Member
 
Tarnish3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Durham
Posts: 212
Images: 6
Cleaned off a big smear from my windscreen after hitting a bird at 70mph. The bang gave me a shock, could have dented if it hit bodywork! It's only when I got home and reviewed the dashcam (old mobile phone on passenger headrest) that I see it was a pigeon.
I watched it in my rear view mirror as it continued it's ballistic journey to the other carriageway with the aerodynamic finesse of a roast chicken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa.jpg (81.7 KB, 21 views)
BrighouseAlfa likes this.
Tarnish3 is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 41,766
Dirty sky rats, that smear will probably be McDonald's chip fat as I think thats what most of them live on these days. Grim.
will01 and edraven71 like this.
Pud237 is offline  
Status: GTA on the road being enjoyed
AO Silver Member
 
will01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Posts: 2,343
Images: 12
Garage
Yes Pigeons seem to make alot of mess, i had one wedge it wing under the edge of the windscreen rubber on the drivers side which ripped its wing off and i had the windows down at the time and filled the car with feathers. I should say that i was also doing 70!
Properly minging to pick the wing off the rubber trim. Windscreen took ages to clear of blood and grease. This may sound a bit weird, but you should link the pigeon video!
will01 is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 41,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by will01 View Post
Yes Pigeons seem to make alot of mess, i had one wedge it wing under the edge of the windscreen rubber on the drivers side which ripped its wing off and i had the windows down at the time and filled the car with feathers. I should say that i was also doing 70!
Properly minging to pick the wing off the rubber trim. Windscreen took ages to clear of blood and grease. This may sound a bit weird, but you should link the pigeon video!
About 14-15 years ago a mate of mine had a P10 Primera SRi and he put some lovely (I joke) 5-spoke 17" wheels on it, really small wheel centres and really thin spokes - all you could see is piddly rusty brake discs and dirty unpainted calipers. It wasn't a good look but we were young, all we saw was the wheels in their shiny, Halfords multi-fit glory. Needless to say a pigeon sacrificed itself in the vain effort to paint my mate's N/S brake caliper, while driving on York ring road at about 50mph, by flying directly into the wheel.. It was grim, it was like someone had a CV boot let go except the CV boot had been filled with mashed pigeon.
will01 likes this.

Autolusso Penrith - UK's leading independent Alfa Romeo specialist with branches in Bedfordshire, Cumbria & Dorset

Wizard Exhaust systems available here

Tel: 01768 879 171
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Vivat least vaguest.
AO Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
County: -
Posts: 708
Banger and mash, eh?

Entrées
  1. "The Girling Special" - Smashed pigeon, lightly sprinkled with mintex and hint of DOT4, served on a rotating alloy platter


My own contribution to Alfa doings, was unbolting racks from two subframes and being grouched at for the unholy racket (they were well stuck and I used the rattle gun)...
Pud237 and will01 like this.

Last edited by addo; 21-09-16 at 09:49.
addo is offline  
Status: Howling around Leicestershire
AO Silver Member
 
ferret-ears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,143
Images: 77
Thumbs Up

Just a had full service at Intaservices, my local "indie" another thorough job by Dave and his crew. Thanks guys.
Richard J likes this.
ferret-ears is offline  
Status: GTA on the road being enjoyed
AO Silver Member
 
will01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Posts: 2,343
Images: 12
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
About 14-15 years ago a mate of mine had a P10 Primera SRi and he put some lovely (I joke) 5-spoke 17" wheels on it, really small wheel centres and really thin spokes - all you could see is piddly rusty brake discs and dirty unpainted calipers. It wasn't a good look but we were young, all we saw was the wheels in their shiny, Halfords multi-fit glory. Needless to say a pigeon sacrificed itself in the vain effort to paint my mate's N/S brake caliper, while driving on York ring road at about 50mph, by flying directly into the wheel.. It was grim, it was like someone had a CV boot let go except the CV boot had been filled with mashed pigeon.
Nice!
Bet you glad it was your mates car. Would not have enjoyed cleaning that mess!

Talking about mess i do remember the days working in Halfords and a guy came in to get headlight bulbs replaced and he had hit a deer at 50mph! His 156 was an absolute mess, the headlights smashed open and bits of trim taped on. He was very concerned that his bulbs didn't work(even though most of the headlight unit was missing!)
So i had to repalce all front bulbs whilst getting covered in smashed deer and broken plastic/glass etc!
will01 is offline  
Status: Alfaless
AO Member
 
Alfa Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hants
Posts: 948

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Wave

Having seen sense and had my GT repaired and MOT'd after the rusty floorpan issue I have promptly sold it today.
I visited the chap I bought it from a couple of years ago to let him know I would be selling and he promptly offered to buy it back at a price only a couple of hundred shy of my top estimate for the eBay sale I had planned otherwise.
He knows the car as well as me and said he's only taking it back because he knows it has been well cared for, it seemed like an easy solution and we are both happy...the car was collected tonight

The GT has been rewarding and frustrating in equal measures and I'm taking a break from Alfa ownership for the foreseeable future...I have bought another GT but its a Mk5 Golf sort so visits here will become scarcer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160922_165644.jpg (206.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20160922_172721.jpg (121.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20160922_165715.jpg (178.1 KB, 19 views)
Alfa Seltzer is offline  
Status: GTA on the road being enjoyed
AO Silver Member
 
will01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Posts: 2,343
Images: 12
Garage
I am sure it won't be long before you get back to a decent car
You will miss the Alfa, we all know it.

Understand the reasons aswell, for me the cut off point is rust. I have always said that if my GTA turns rusty i am going to strip it out for a track/race car and go buy another GTA.
Our SW has a little rust which is easily fixed. But if its bad you need to think is it worth it? Unless it something old and classic the answer is most likely no.
will01 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome