What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 110 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: -
What have I done to one of my 147s today? Cut the screen and floor off!

No rust, just a Cat B car.

Tomorrow I'll finish scrapping the shell. I'm keeping a bit off the front, and the boot floor. Everything else is in the steel bin.

Van in background is for sale, $8000 Australian, it has a pop up roof, icy cold air conditioning and is fastidiously maintained. Would suit longer stay adventure tourists beautifully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.5 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Sold it.

My 147 had 275k km and was 12 years old, and the mrs 147 has 168k km and getting close to 10 years old, so we needed at least 1 newer car.
The mrs bought a new car we'll get delivered tomorrow (kia cee'd gt line, fully loaded for surprisingly reasonable amount of money).
I sold mine to a 2nd hand car dealer the kia dealer works with yesterday and the other 147 now becomes my car (it's slightly younger and a TI, so I'm not getting too harsh a deal).

The buyer isn't overly happy apparently because first he forgot to ask me when the distribution belt was last changed - rookie mistake if you ask me and then today he's texting me the clutch has gone.
That would surprise me as I changed it a year ago and I sent him the invoice of the clutch kit, but then it's possible and more likely the slave went. I can't be responsible for the car once it's out of my possession, I drove it everyday fine since the clutch change and I've been sincere about it's past. The 2nd hand car dealer bought it for very little money, he'll make money on some and barely break even on others, that's how the cookie crumbles.
I don't feel particularly happy about it myself, but if you're in the business of buying older high-mileage cars, every once and a while this kind of thing will happen.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
Silenced most of the leather creaking in mine by sticking a rag between the side bolster of the seat and the centre console. It ain't pretty, but it works.
I use some of those sticky pads, the ones you get for the feet of furniture. They come in different colours as well, and just stick them to the centre console. Cured the creaks in my GT.
sneaker likes this.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imski View Post
The buyer isn't overly happy apparently because first he forgot to ask me when the distribution belt was last changed - rookie mistake if you ask me and then today he's texting me the clutch has gone.
That would surprise me as I changed it a year ago and I sent him the invoice of the clutch kit, but then it's possible and more likely the slave went. I can't be responsible for the car once it's out of my possession, I drove it everyday fine since the clutch change and I've been sincere about it's past. The 2nd hand car dealer bought it for very little money, he'll make money on some and barely break even on others, that's how the cookie crumbles.
Isn't your issue and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anyone who buys a cheap car with 275k km on the clock should expect that at any minute something could go bang! I assume by distribution belt you mean the timing belt? Really not your fault if the bloke forgot to ask. That is second hand car buying 101!
AO Member

County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

In preparation for the looming MOT I removed and cleaned my MAP sensor, it was only lightly coated this time as I've disabled the EGR system since first cleaning it when it resembled some sort of fossil on removal.
Front tyres look borderline, but I'll make a decision based on the overall outcome as I had to have some underside welding dome last year due to careless past jacking on the sills which I foolishly overlooked when buying a couple of years ago.
I'd like to get another year out of the GT as its tidy overall with lots of new suspension parts, but if its going to need continuous welding I may have to seek a replacement...all sorts have gone through my mind and I'm currently leaning toward a 159Ti of sorts even though I have a feeling this could be a very bad idea...

Sprint - 33 - Sprint - 33 - 155 - GTV - GTV - 156 - GT ...gone German for now though.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Diagnosed a fault today so guess what I'll be doing this weekend? (Why do we modify our cars...?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1093.JPG (240.2 KB, 33 views)

County: Cork
Garage
Voting now open for August http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...tion-vote.html (August 2016 AO Detailing Competition Vote)

Vote for whoever you think deserves to win

And September Detailing competition now open for entries http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...n-entries.html (September 2016 Detailing Competition Entries)

Don't let the title put you off, it doesn't have to be a full detail, a wash & a clean will do, if the car looks good take some pics & submit them, please include some info on what you have done to the car

Check out the updated rules here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...ion-rules.html (Monthly Detailing Competition Rules)
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
Diagnosed a fault today so guess what I'll be doing this weekend? (Why do we modify our cars...?)
I just bought a new set of W4 Stainless T-Bolt hose clamps to hopfully prevent this issue!

Has an oily mess on my lower turbo hose for years, which makes an oily mess on the undertray, bell housing etc...

Nothing too serious, but does re-appear every time I clean it off at an oil change... Thinking I've probably got a slight boost leak up at the union on the turbo... Managed to somewhat mangle the jubilee hose clamp when fitting it... Felt nice and tight but it is ugly.. Full new set of proper high-grip clamps going on at the weekend!
baxter2308 likes this.

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
You could do with an additional silicone bend (probably 30 degree or 45 degree) and a short, straight metal pipe to fix that by the looks of it. They are a bit of a nightmare to fit and get everything aligned perfectly!
baxter2308 likes this.
AO Member

County: Dorset
Had the 156 in for power flexing ARB at Autolusso b'mouth. Also some faults cleared and carbon effect centre unit fitted. Drives great cracking job by Laurence and the guys.

Up next- GT 3.2 MOT, scorpion downpipes, new tires all round- ouch!
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Another service today... Oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter, and pollen filter too...

Attempted to relocate my Lambda sensor with an angle adapter to avoid fouling on the AC condenser, but no beuno... No room to get the angle adapter installed, so dropped the lot back out and re-jigged it all a bit.. Found the lower bracket has a load of room for adjustment so that helped a load!

Also replaced all 4 hose clamps with W4 Stainless T-Bolt clamps... Nipped up lovely and tight, looks much more secure than the old jubilee style clamps..

Oh and got my puncture sorted this morning at the local tyre shop... A ***** off big nail buried deep in the tread!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Re-attached the turbo hoses... for now. Plus I fitted a Connects2 Bluetooth kit, cracking item which works exactly as described, a little pricey (birthday Amazon vouchers will help) but it does mean no more CD's.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0153723...=cfb_at_prodpg
joeymannero likes this.

Last edited by baxter2308; 04-09-16 at 23:04.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
had Damien Map put on my blackie today..

thanks to Wayne in luton and Loz in Bourenmouth, only went down to look at Loz's flaring kit as I am about ot make new brake pipes for the GTV I also have, whilst I was there I Phoned AL Luton and asked if Wayne would mind sending that map over, loz was happy to load it on the car...

thanks gents..once again :-)

well the drive home ws bloody awesome!!!, ridiculously quick now and it was no slouch before!!! got to be pushing close to 240 bhp now, some little issues as it really needs a 3bar map sensor, so if i really boot it I get P0235 overboost, makes no difference to performance and I can clear it with my elm327 and torque app pro..when the map sensor issue is solved i expect hen Dyno'd it will show 240 BHP + and over 500nm of torque.

so map sensor is on order from ECP and will go in next week...these hybrid GT's are a Hoot..

still selling it though....just ready for a V6 now..will pop an ad up soon...
Fatsweaty and LittleGTV like this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.

Last edited by joeymannero; 06-09-16 at 20:31.
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAlex View Post
Isn't your issue and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anyone who buys a cheap car with 275k km on the clock should expect that at any minute something could go bang! I assume by distribution belt you mean the timing belt? Really not your fault if the bloke forgot to ask. That is second hand car buying 101!
I wasn't worried but annoyed. The guy was cool about it in the end. He asked about the clutch change and I sent him the invoice of the clutch kit and he just replied 'OK'. I bet he was kicking himself about the timing belt and then got a clutch issue on top... We've all been in such situations that don't help your mood. Older cars are like that.
AO Silver Member

I bought a GTV cheap with no MOT...

so far I have done..cambelt,variator,water pump,thermostat,full service,rear calipers ,pads and brake lines,new battery,chased down a power drain issue,cleaned throttle body and ICV,turned off airbag warning light,fixed faulty drivers seat catch (new bowden cable) re-attached tweeter to door card, refurbed leather seats (they look new!) changed wheels for 16'' teledials drom the pepperpots that were on it.
lower wishbones, rocker cover gasket, repaired fog lamps (they had melted the housing) painted calipers and added decals, repaired sunroof and then on the way to the MOT the steel brake lines failed , now have to make new ones..

if you didn't laugh you would cry..

but that is what to expect from an 18 year old car that has been sat since 2012, it only has 69k on the clock, the bodywork and interior are lovely, no rust to speak of, and she still owes me less than a set of OEM wisbones fitted on the GT, as I has some parts lyiing around, found a good used varioator for 40 and did all the other parts from ECP with a 30% discount code (except wishbones which were from shop4parts) so finacially she owes me bugger all, but in time.. ''several hours''

my point is it's all the fun of the fair with old cars and you should expect some kinks in the road..she is half a second of the 0-60 of a giulietta 170, and a top speed of 130mph (5mph less than the giulietta 170), as the balance belts are gone maybe a touch more..and is far more engaging and interesting than the aformentioned at snip of the price!

do I expect trouble free? god no but I do expect fun in bundles and a fantastic sounding revvy little TS..

not your fault at all bud, his eyes were wide open and if he wanted reliable he could have bought a 04 plate civic 1.6 for the same price. no style charisa or driving enjoyment, but you pays your money and makes your choice!
imski and imski like this.
AO Member

Member car:

GT

had a good couple of days where the new top wishbones went on, bottom arm, shock and hub off the donor too.

pictures off the work phone are a bit poor but has anyone else noticed how bad the turrets are with their front shocks out? I have tried to tidy up the worst of the rust and painted it before waxoyling last friday

284.jpg

298.jpg

301.jpg]
AO Member

Member car:

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
I could use the driver's door window switch; and one of those rubber buttons that sits in the plungers in the boot lid. Thank you very much.
Hi Mate my drivers window goes up in stages. I dont know if this is the switch or the regulator/motor I was gonna swap the lot hopefully from the donor, sorry!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvwoodburn View Post
Hi Mate my drivers window goes up in stages. I dont know if this is the switch or the regulator/motor I was gonna swap the lot hopefully from the donor, sorry!
have you done the soft re-set? hold the winsow buttons in the up position count to ten..then the down positions count to ten, should solve it.

if not Proxy alignent may be required..
will01 and marvwoodburn like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
if windows operating in steps it means they have lost their calibration(they don't know where they are). see above and it should help. i have noticed this before
marvwoodburn likes this.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
I'd be happy to have the one you swap it for - if it's moving the glass it's an improvement on mine and as others suggest it probably isn't the cause of his problems.
AO Member

Member car:

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
have you done the soft re-set? hold the winsow buttons in the up position count to ten..then the down positions count to ten, should solve it.

if not Proxy alignent may be required..
yeah I tried that once and it worked ok for a while, then back to going up in stages. Much thanks anyway
AO Member

Member car:

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb.gt View Post
I'd be happy to have the one you swap it for - if it's moving the glass it's an improvement on mine and as others suggest it probably isn't the cause of his problems.
No worries, the donor works perfectly all the way up and down, I did read on here (I think) that the window motors/regs off newer ones (06 on) are better than the older ones. But all I want is a window that works in one shot!!
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Smile

Quote:
No worries, the donor works perfectly all the way up and down, I did read on here (I think) that the window motors/regs off newer ones (06 on) are better than the older ones. But all I want is a window that works in one shot!!
Yes that's cool - all I want is whichever one you have left over when you're done, if you're happy to sell it that is.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Oil filter arrived yesterday from Alfa Workshop so I'll be giving her an oil change sometime this week once I get my hands on an oil pan.
AO Member

Getting stuck into repowering the one which threw a belt. Would love to see the factory tool for driveshaft inner flange nuts. Just have to free the AC compressor and I think it's about ready to drop subframe then motor. Put it back on wheels in case the lads need to shift it in the morning.

The rear window stick took some detective work.

In amongst the car's history is a 2012 invoice that includes four new coil packs and a new fuel filter. Well, the coil packs are all April 2002 just like the car - and the filter is a Benz item! I will be inviting the dealership to make amends with the prior keeper.

This car is yet to be named.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.5 KB, 8 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today