What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 109 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
So after this week getting the rear under brace fitted and recently fitting the OZ wheels to my GT, an alignment check was in order. Went to Southampton to see my buddy Nick, who has been doing my cars for years. Absolute master at what he does and top bloke with it. Both front and rear were slightly out, and now the car is spot on. Amazing the improvement an alignment check can make. Nick has the latest state of the art machines, and sets up race cars to drift machines. And some super cars too. Hence why i travel so far to have my car done. Check out the Alignment centre Southampton if you need your car properly aligned. Its all Nick does so he has a world of experience.

Damien.
I'm in Southampton so might check them out.
ALFADOIT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Cleaned it and polished it - ready to sell! Look out for it in the classifieds in the next couple of days!
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Removed the battery tray and all that gubbins to get at the MAF meter and last remaining rubber induction hose... Replaced the hose with my Autolusso silicone jobby, discovered my bargain Genuine Bosch MAF meter that I picked up was not in fact the correct model number (I was an idiot... bought it without checking part numbers!!) so cleaned and re-fitted the old one... Job jobbed....

Until this morning, and I discover I must have angered the Alfa gods because now my clutch pedal has gone featherlight for the first 50% of it's travel... Must have knocked the hydraulics under the batter tray when fiddling about and have let some air in somewhere...
ALFADOIT and bobulon like this.

(Post Link) post #2704 of 2913 Old 15-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninted View Post
Cleaned it and polished it - ready to sell! Look out for it in the classifieds in the next couple of days!
That's a shame mate, you staying in the Alfa fold? Is she modified or completely standard?

Damien.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Until this morning, and I discover I must have angered the Alfa gods because now my clutch pedal has gone featherlight for the first 50% of it's travel... Must have knocked the hydraulics under the batter tray when fiddling about and have let some air in somewhere...
Battery out of the way in record time, one-man bleeder kit set and in position, off I go to the drivers seat to pump on the pedal a few times...

First pump felt like it wash pushing out fluid, then nothing...

Found my one-man kit had a massive split in the hose, spilled brake fluid all over the top of the gbox, and sucked a load of air back in! Awesome... The Automotive gods smile down on me again

Employed the GF to press the pedals whilst I worked the bleeder nipple old school style... Flushed a load of black mucky crap out.. Hope that it's not the remnants of the slave cylinder inner seals getting washed out... This one's only 55k miles old!

Pedal felt nice and firm when I was all done though! Fingers crossed that it was just my weekend fiddling that disturbed it!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Highlands
Oil & Filter changed..BEEEP! Engine Manage Light now on
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
The trouble with the 156 is the lack of cup holders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20160816_19_29_35_Pro.jpg (152.9 KB, 38 views)
pendragonfalls and warniegt like this.
AO Member

County: Durham
Changed my after-market DAB radio from Pure Highway to Pure Highway 300Di which is more integrated with a black box behind the dash. Instead of retransmitting over FM, it intercepts the FM aerial to inject the signal. Still need to do neat solutions for the USB and Aux sockets. I'm thinking a USB panel socket where the useless rubber coin holder is, in front of the handbrake.

Just wish I hadn't been listening to the radio while I was fashioning brackets and sorting out the aerial lead --> dead battery. It's still OK after jump start from neighbour and a couple of long runs. It'll probably need replacing before the cold of winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1049a.jpg (41.3 KB, 29 views)
(Post Link) post #2709 of 2913 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Right so yesterday in the sweltering heat i picked up the motivation to do some little jobs i have been meaning to do for a while. Seeing the bumper off the other day during the dyno runs when we had to tighten all the FMIC boost hoses i noticed a few jobs that needed attending to.
And also for a while now i have been meaning to modify my airbox. A topic i happened to learn quite a bit about during my Audi TT 1.8t qs days. Like a cda, but much better i used to have a VTDA on my Audi, basically a lovely body coloured cylindrical airbox with K&N filter inside with careful attention to induction acoustics inside the airbox. The effect apart from better flow with a cold air feed was a lovely induction growl. Not an open filter suck and blow and ssssh noise, but a lovely growl.
I looked into getting one for the GT, but after careful consideration due to the way it is mounted , it would be difficult to replicate that in my GT's bay. Where unlike my Audi the airbox is buried in the engine bay. My good friend Wak did a similar idea using the oem airbox. And simply made appropriate air holes in the box to create more air intake to the non maf side of the box with performance panel filter.
Doing this on the GT needs some thought as the box protects the cool air flow form the turbo through a snorkel at the higher intake point at the front of the bay. On my car as i have a FMIC the passenger side of the bay has a gap where the oem unit used to be. Here is clear air flow.
So on the other side of the airbox i drilled neat air intake holes at the point where cool air could flow near and around them. Not too many as the last thing i want is hot air from the turbo side of the bay creeping into the box. Not did i want a direct line where rainwater could get through to the new air holes and drench the box. So after carefully consideration i chose the place to drill 2cm holes in the box front. Also when removing a few induction hoses and turbo hose i was stunned how clean they were??? I am not sure this is the meth cleaning the induction system?? But i mean absolutely no residue or dirt, just bone dry and clean. So happy about that. :-) Little pic of box below, work in progress at that point but you get the idea. lol.
So went out for a drive tonight and was properly made up. I now just like the VTDA box, have an induction growl on take up and acceleration, which you can clearly hear, and also some pleasant but no way intrusive induction turbo sounds. Over the moon just what i wanted. Also replaced the old K&N filter with a brand new K&N, as the old one had seen better times. Took her out for a spin last night. Windows down. Must say with the new exhaust note due to the new engine map, and the meth whoosh as its introduced into the induction system, and the new induction warble and growl. I am bloody made up. Yes i know it will never ever be a busso or 5cld, but hell its worlds apart from the god awful characterless clatter the car had in standard form. :-) Happy days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 375331ad-2f9f-43d7-9d85-545bcba63c42_zpsodyetdbl.jpg (127.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg c48e9bb9-4eca-4a50-876a-9b0049cbba9b_zpsyfe1rubt.jpg (136.8 KB, 21 views)

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Took my grand daughter out in the car yesterday so had to put the child seat in. Must have moved the passenger seat a little too violently when fitting or removing it and found the airbag light on this morning. Grrr.

I've had this a couple of times before so knew it probably would be easy to fix again. Located the yellow plug under the seat - unplugged it, then replugged it (this time I didn't bother disconnecting the battery - in the past I have). Started the car light gone - result.
pendragonfalls likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
Absolutely spanked the wifes SW to work whilst she was in passenger seat and the VDC turned off in the rain. Damn good fun! Not helping with fuel economy though! Our good 42mpg has dropped to 38mpg. Best go back to driving like a Granny, just missing the GTA i suppose lol
(Post Link) post #2712 of 2913 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So a few little additions today. Alfa billet fuel cap to match my oil cap and then eibach wheel arch extension spats to protect my lovely rear Bertone arches from buckshot and chipping my wings.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ca2c30ef-c7dd-4feb-a3bf-9f94e7f40419_zpsm8rpnhfq.jpg (186.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 902e2173-c3b4-45b2-bf6e-8f9db4691391_zpshswfbsyr.jpg (70.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg d1648275-56b8-4728-8b10-a58f4a6411c2_zpsssihn3ii.jpg (274.1 KB, 28 views)
pendragonfalls and kenon like this.
sye
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Car looks great
Cloverleafs back on / red wheel centres off ??
ALFADOIT likes this.
(Post Link) post #2714 of 2913 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sye View Post
Car looks great
Cloverleafs back on / red wheel centres off ??
Well spotted Yes rocking the black centres at the moment Sye. But if i am honest i think i prefer the anniversary red centres.

Damien.
AO Member

County: Durham
Four new boots on mine today. After reading on here the compound was changed recently on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetic 2 I was worried about getting them again, but the Asymmetic 3 turned out a little cheaper, so went for them. I can confirm they are marked 'Made in Germany'.
I also got the toe-out reduced as the front inside edge was atrocious compared to the rest of the tread.

Have had this a couple of months now. Only 50k kms (30k miles) in its 8yr lifetime. Q2 diff made big difference to getting power down. Two new front Pirelli PZeros (rears were near new) and alignment made steering feel much better too. Short shift kit from EB Spares makes shifting far more fun--great bang for buck.

And in my state (Queensland, Australia) the quirky personalized plate options let you pick your own combo of letters at steep prices ( I could have "BUSSO", but for more money than a Q2 diff and fitting) or some arbitrary letter/digit combos, such as 1 digit, 3 letters, 1 digit, for a small fraction of that money. So even though I'm often contemptuous of what people "spell" out with numbers etc on their plates...now I'm "that guy" too, with 8 USS 0. I think it looks better than I was worried it might have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg busso front.jpg (54.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg busso rear.jpg (47.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg out front.jpg (46.5 KB, 6 views)
AO Member

County: Timiș

Member car:

156 8v

It looks fine, I'd be "that guy" too
(Post Link) post #2718 of 2913 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So enjoyable couple of days in between work trips. Took my airbox out again and made some more breather holes into the airbox right in the line if the airflow. Also cleaned my MAF with proper cleaner. Fitted a new thicker ply lower FMIC boost hose. She sounds awesome with a bit more induction sound. I have started doing something i never did before, which is blipping the throttle for no apparent reason just for the nice induction sound..lol.. (hides head in shame) Huge love for this coupe.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9c6ce43c-2777-4175-9d70-310776cd1818_zpsfvw3ilrj.jpg (298.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 6022cfdd-830e-4dc0-93bf-b57289ddd7da_zpsfzjdkscu.jpg (216.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg aa550f34-f30b-4eab-be46-20a5eb842e92_zpsix3z7xyg.jpg (329.8 KB, 11 views)
kenon, AussieAlex and warniegt like this.
AO Member

Member car:

GT

charge battery and sort the old girl out for MOT (it only ran out in March) sadly it looks like it could be an extensive job.

following this I will be doing away with the donor GT soon if anyone is looking for any parts!
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvwoodburn View Post
charge battery and sort the old girl out for MOT (it only ran out in March) sadly it looks like it could be an extensive job.

following this I will be doing away with the donor GT soon if anyone is looking for any parts!
I could use the driver's door window switch; and one of those rubber buttons that sits in the plungers in the boot lid. Thank you very much.
AO Member

Well Happy First time...

... For a few weeks.

Started the lil beastie up. Took it for a quick spin. The grin on my face.

It's only a 1.9 diesel ffs.

The creak of the leather, the lumpy idle, but the torque. The usual 3 point turn is now a 5 point turn (is my rack buggered or have they got a poor turning circle).

And people look at an 04 plate car as if it's from outer space.

Decision made. First car I've had that I'm going to keep. Regardless.
pendragonfalls and sneaker like this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Daimler View Post

The creak of the leather, the lumpy idle, but the torque. The usual 3 point turn is now a 5 point turn (is my rack buggered or have they got a poor turning circle).
Yea that's standard fare for these Alfas....

Creaks a'plenty, sound like a bag of spanners at idle, and a turning circle the same size as the Titanic (even worse in the GT with 225 width tyres!!)... But sticks a smile on your face
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Creak of the leather drowns out wor lass' constant nagging, so that's a plus
AO Member

County: Timiș

Member car:

156 8v

Silenced most of the leather creaking in mine by sticking a rag between the side bolster of the seat and the centre console. It ain't pretty, but it works.
AO Silver Member

Found the nail in my front left tyre today!

Noticed a 3-5 psi per week leak over the last few weeks and have been topping up regularly... Well today the shiny little bigger was sat there looking at me, buried a few mil into the center of the tread belt... Looks like a quick and easy repair though, well away from the sides, nice clean entry wound etc...

Trip to the tyre shop first thing Saturday then!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today