What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 105 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Member

Garage
Yesterday, I met up with a friend who has a company car, BMW E90 320D. We took a short drive, taking some round abouts and traffic lights. The 12 year old Alfa is definitely faster in a straight line. I think also more chuck-able in the corners as it's about 300kg lighter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Cumbria
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
I had similar problems with the fogs. Everything was fine, and the lights could be activated if the car was connected to the diag at the dealers.
Turned out that the body computer was shagged. Got a used one, with ECU and ignition barrel. All's well now.

I had a few other random symptoms as well, including but not limited to, interior lights not fading on and off, ecu was reporting glow plug failure (its a JTS).. Strange electrical gremlins indeed, but it always drove perfectly.
It's the way these cars are, mine reports glow plug every 5k or so, thank fully it is a JTDm though! take them out give them a clean and it's fine again for a while again, also randomly it'll report the ASR has failed, the interior light once in a while doesn't come on when the engine gets turned off, and it eats a rear o/s tail light every couple of thousand. Oh yeah and the radio is still crap, but....

I had all these problems, exact same problems that is with a 55 plate JTD 156 before it, and my 75 years ago did similar sorts of electrickery 15 years ago, I just put it down as part of Alfa ownership.

But for the front fogs, have you had a multi meter out and checked for feed to the switch?
pendragonfalls likes this.

75 in 2002, 156 in 2014, GT since 2015....
AO Member

County: West Cumbria
Garage
Oh and today I did this......

Third Pic shows why not to buy the cheap 74mm ones on ebay, yes they are the right size and pressed metal and I'll be honest aren't that bad for the price, but the gold colour is way off and looks more orange than anything, I only bought them because a PO had put b&w stickers over bad badges, and it was just a put on til the proper ones were bought
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1399.jpg (58.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1401.jpg (32.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1400.jpg (62.4 KB, 15 views)
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
IMASAF Backbox

MOT is due this month and, although not an advisory last year, was warned the backbox may not survive the year.

Well had a nose under there last week and sure enough it was time to replace.

Went for an IMASAF from Germany , £208 delivered, if I'd bought it prior to the referendum result it would have been a few quid cheaper, hey ho!

20160702_115955.jpg20160702_120023.jpg

Only thing I'd say is the supplied hangers were useless, little better than elastic bands causing the box to foul the rear subframe, so had to use a couple of cable ties to help hold it up till a decent pair of hangers arrive. Oh, and I used the original clamp too.

Looks nice though.

All the best

Pub
Mav666 and joeymannero like this.

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTDM

Replace both side lights one bulb has blown the other was very dim. Discovered that I had a number plate light out. Removed the lights to my amazement the clear plastic part has been painted over so no light was showing through, and one of the light bulb holders was corroded to a point that the metal contacts were no more. I know it's a long shot but does anyone have a spare?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
Not today, last Wednesday as it happens but it was cam belt time so headed off to Norwich to Alfashop. Excellent service as per usual from the Alfashop guys, thanks chaps.

Followed on Friday by a pair of new front boots, decided to go for a pair of Uniroyal Rain Sport 3's. With the torential rain that we have been getting they have been pretty handy. The 215/45/17's appear to be a little fuller/fatter than others so might provide some additional rim protection.

Will be interested to see what the wear is like on the RS3!
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

Bonjour mes Amis, fitted my new exhaust today http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...29a2e1d837.jpg
baxter2308 and TunHep like this.
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTDM

Fitted new badge to the front of my gt. The old one looked poor, was peeling, overall in a very poor condition so replaced it with http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...6283fb21a1.jpg
Makes a huge difference in my opinion. Next need to sort out the front grille a good clean and sort out the tape next to the number plate.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...abdffbe378.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...28a2becacb.jpg

edraven71 likes this.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_f View Post
Replace both side lights one bulb has blown the other was very dim. Discovered that I had a number plate light out. Removed the lights to my amazement the clear plastic part has been painted over so no light was showing through, and one of the light bulb holders was corroded to a point that the metal contacts were no more. I know it's a long shot but does anyone have a spare?

Try Loz, at Autolusso Bournemouth. He might be able to help you.
aaron_f likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
Try Loz, at Autolusso Bournemouth. He might be able to help you.
Will give them a ring this morning. Thanks

MLC
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

147 JTD

Fitted new rear Brembo discs and pads - a very reasonable £38 all in from ECP (inc £10 cashback which has now ended, sorry!)
All went ok apart from the offside caliper piston refused to be wound in, as I don't have the tool I improvised with a bit of studding to put pressure on the piston whilst winding in with the disc fitting tool from an angle grinder. Because of the extra faff I didn't have time to do a proper bleed or check for rust whilst I was in there, so that's next.
baxter2308 and dgmayhead like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Made a makeshift repair to the intercooler/turbo hoses as they blew another clamp at the weekend.

Note to self: This isn't working is it?
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC View Post
Fitted new rear Brembo discs and pads - a very reasonable £38 all in from ECP (inc £10 cashback which has now ended, sorry!)
All went ok apart from the offside caliper piston refused to be wound in, as I don't have the tool I improvised with a bit of studding to put pressure on the piston whilst winding in with the disc fitting tool from an angle grinder. Because of the extra faff I didn't have time to do a proper bleed or check for rust whilst I was in there, so that's next.
Worth buying the tool for this it makes the job so easy. Think I paid less than £50 for a caliper rewind kit that came with its own little suitcase and an attachment for every conceivable caliper size. Makes pushing back the fronts easier as well. Can't recommend highly enough for any diy mechanic.
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Slow day at work today. Hope someone finds my advice helpful it's exhausting skiving!
(Post Link) post #2615 of 2909 Old 11-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Attended National Alfa day yesterday and met some great people. Was helping out on the Autolusso stand. Some amazing machines on show. Came away with loads of new ideas for my project. Oh and my new freshly refurbished OZ superleggera's are on. And i also fitted the net to my rear brace bar.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13646662_10157008982995411_1511082215_o.jpg (228.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 13647066_10157008982965411_663193810_o.jpg (203.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg a695cab3-a968-45c0-9635-4ceeb64bf39e_zpsiclyc2ab (1).jpg (112.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 911f3aa8-d515-4863-ab16-5efd285c5403_zpspzkzlrby.jpg (78.4 KB, 13 views)
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Attended National Alfa day yesterday and met some great people. Was helping out on the Autolusso stand. Some amazing machines on show. Came away with loads of new ideas for my project. Oh and my new freshly refurbished OZ superleggera's are on. And i also fitted the net to my rear brace bar.

Damien.

You followed me in
ALFADOIT likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
Made a makeshift repair to the intercooler/turbo hoses as they blew another clamp at the weekend.

Note to self: This isn't working is it?
Are your pipes rolled?

Worth getting them done if not as it saves a lot of grief.
baxter2308 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1612
County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post

Damien.
Looks good with those wheels on must say I prefer them to the Clover wheels.

Was good to finally see your car in the flesh, you've done a cracking job, looks stunning!
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Member

County: Gauteng
New Clutch Master Cyclinder fitted

Had a new Clutch Master cylinder fitted, she's back to smooth changes and, after being at the workshop for almost 2 weeks it's great to driver her again....

But (isn't there always a "but"), the guys forgot to reconnect the cruise control switch on the clutch pedal...

Is this an easy fix that I can do or should I send it back (and not have my baby for another few days)?
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 16v

Repaired the passenger side exterior door handle hinge. Didn't need to remove the window or the lock section of the handle from the door. Now I just need to figure out why the one touch window operation has stopped working. Never simple is it!! Lol
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandudley View Post
Had a new Clutch Master cylinder fitted, she's back to smooth changes and, after being at the workshop for almost 2 weeks it's great to driver her again....
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...es/thumbup.gif
But (isn't there always a "but"), the guys forgot to reconnect the cruise control switch on the clutch pedal...
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image.../depressed.gif
Is this an easy fix that I can do or should I send it back (and not have my baby for another few days)?
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/irked.gif
Easy fix!!!
Disconnect the cable and turn the switch 1/4 turn. Should then pull out. Work the plunger in and out. If it still doesn't operate properly you can take the switch apart (just watch out for the spring inside!!) With mine I just cleaned the plunger of the gunk/glue that had gone solid. Rebuilt it and it worked a treat!!!
(Post Link) post #2622 of 2909 Old 12-07-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Looks good with those wheels on must say I prefer them to the Clover wheels.

Was good to finally see your car in the flesh, you've done a cracking job, looks stunning!
Thanks Paul, means a lot bud. Was lovely to meet you both. And your 147 looked awesome, great choice of momo wheels.

Damien.
edraven71 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven71 View Post
Are your pipes rolled?

Worth getting them done if not as it saves a lot of grief.
Not sure to be honest but it is JoŽl's FMIC kit so I don't expect any quality issues. I think there's too much pressure on one of the joins, enough to blow two t-bolt clamps clean off. Looks like a small adjustment to the intercooler position might fix it.

Cheers for the tip
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Is it an old kit or new one..?

Old kits don't have rolled pipes the new ones do.

Sounds like you have a small restriction as 2-3 bar should not blow off pipes.

Where is it happening ?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
Is it an old kit or new one..?

Old kits don't have rolled pipes the new ones do.

Sounds like you have a small restriction as 2-3 bar should not blow off pipes.

Where is it happening ?
I bought the kit last summer so if the pipes were rolled since then I will have missed out. The one in the picture was used temporarily but has blown again since then. (see thread below) Still, mods and all that...

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-my-boost.html (So that's why I lost all my boost!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today