What have you done to your Alfa 147/156/GT today? - Page 103 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1173Likes

AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Nice mate. What is the weight of one of those double dins? They heavy?

Damien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzabara View Post
The ones that dont have a cd reader are usually very light, I would personally love to fit one myself but would like to find one with a similar button look as the rest of the car..

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
Not surprisingly, the lack of a CD drive makes it a lot lighter. 1.1Kg v 2.1Kg

Best upgrade from the stock head though, which is well outdated at this stage.
Works very well with the Bose amp.
ALFADOIT and _The_Editor_ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
Not surprisingly, the lack of a CD drive makes it a lot lighter. 1.1Kg v 2.1Kg

Best upgrade from the stock head though, which is well outdated at this stage.
Works very well with the Bose amp.
I looked at this and in the end decided to go with the connects2 bluetooth unit, SWC is really important to me and quite a few of the android head units don't support it and the ones that do need a SWC adaptor ..this pushed the price right up to around the £300 mark all in for a decent headunit and adaptors.

the connects2 does all I need as it allows me to connect any bluetooth device as well as my phone so with all the apps available ( DAB radio etc etc) it's a cheap solution to the dated ICE in the pre blue and me GT's.

that said your DD andrroid unit does look the biz!
pendragonfalls likes this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
AO Member

County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Thumbs Up

Delayed from last weekend by persistent rain showers I have finally managed to steam clean my engine bay before refitting the recently tarted up engine cover.
Done with one of those hand held 1Kw steamers and Autoglym engine cleaner before a light rinse with a hose, then finished off with a liberal coating of AG Vinyl & rubber care and a good wipe over...not perfect but acceptable hopefully?
All the grotty injector pipework etc under the cover was steamed off too for peace of mind, having not bagged anything up it was a slight relief when it started as usual afterwards.

I also dragged out a couple of other bits from the project store, a Cupra splitter and 147 GTA 16mm rear ARB which will hopefully be going on in the next month or so...

That'll do for today though, I've committed to a pub crawl around Portsmouth & Southsea this afternoon and there's no point rushing things is there?

Sprint - 33 - Sprint - 33 - 155 - GTV - GTV - 156 - GT ...gone German for now though.

Last edited by Alfa Seltzer; 18-09-16 at 23:34.
AO Silver Member

painted my novitec light covers body colour today,

really happy with how they came out, this was a test to see how my choice of plastic primer ,top coat and clear lacquer worked, I will get onto the splitter next as i think that being body colour as well will look really OE as I think the light covers now look , huge improvement on unfinished plastic ..

bumper off again then!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160618_184110.jpg (171.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20160618_184115.jpg (150.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20160618_184120.jpg (225.5 KB, 27 views)
AO Member

County: West Cumbria
Garage
Well rain has stopped play in in Cumbria, but not before I was able to survey the carnage, water pump not surprisingly seized, roller had a complete meltdown, belt well and truly snapped, and 6 rockers knocked out, about normal then really.

Gates belt kit is here with the water pump and rocker gasket, just waiting for the rockers to arrive on Wed and I can start putting things back on instead of taking them off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1348.jpg (149.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1344.jpg (183.6 KB, 18 views)
pendragonfalls likes this.
AO Member

Garage
Oh and had a fun 15 mins with a telescopic magnet pulling at the bearing rods out from the rockers that fell apart trying to get the bits out!
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Yeesh... How old was the belt/water-pump when it failed?

Are you replacing all the rockers, or just the broken ones?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav666 View Post
Oh and had a fun 15 mins with a telescopic magnet pulling at the bearing rods out from the rockers that fell apart trying to get the bits out!
15 needle bearings per broken rocker - make sure you count them all out or its sump-off time!

Are you replacing all 16 rockers?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Are you fixing it yourself? Its not a bad job really, just be careful. If you need any help we're only up the road.
Quote:
15 needle bearings per broken rocker - make sure you count them all out or its sump-off time!

Are you replacing all 16 rockers?
I did, should have mentioned that, and that the 2 that dropped their bearing out happened when I was trying to remove them so all good in that front
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Yeesh... How old was the belt/water-pump when it failed?

Are you replacing all the rockers, or just the broken ones?
Considering how sceptical I normally am I should have questioned whether the water pump was done with the belt, I have a bill for the belt being done 12 months ago (6 months before I bought it) now to be honest the pump doesn't look that old, but that's no guarantee that its been done!

It seems the jury is out on needing to replacing the lot, but I've bought a full set so for the sake of less than half an hours work I just going to replace them all.

Oh one quick question to ask, does anyone have any tricks for getting injection washers out? got three out but the one in Cyl 3 is being a bit stubborn
AussieAlex and _The_Editor_ like this.

75 in 2002, 156 in 2014, GT since 2015....

Last edited by Mav666; 20-06-16 at 10:32.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Oh one quick question to ask, does anyone have any tricks for getting injection washers out? got three out but the one in Cyl 3 is being a bit stubborn
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251842478658

Worth its weight in gold.
Mav666 likes this.
AO Member

County: East Sussex
By comparison to the impressively big jobs bravely tackled by other members such as Mav666 above, all I did at the weekend was a couple of very small but (to me) important jobs on the GT.

First was replacing a cracked front indicator lens which was full of moisture.
Then fitted a set of Phil Goodwin's pedal rubbers - the product is great and fits well, so no more 'Alfa shuffle' needed to dry wet soles on the carpets before driving!

As I said, both really small jobs, but ones that are out of proportion to the irritation they cause...
Happy Days.
CliveJ
AO Member

Garage
Ah the good old alfa shuffle, and even then if there's diesel on the forecourt you still end up leaving the petrol station like the proverbial kangaroo!!
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251842478658

Worth its weight in gold.
Cheers Pud, ordered one for next day delivery, should be here tomorrow with the rockers
AO Member

Garage
Well this may seem like a boring post but....

Drove my GT today

Other than it spraying diesel at the first attempt (my fault, didn't nip up cly one) it's running sweetly, might be me but it certainly sounds quieter after replacing all of the rockers, after 118k there is bound to be some wear, really do think its made a huge difference.

So at least its all good for a week on Sat

HAHAHA!!! Just re-read my post, its done 118,000 not 188 lol

Last edited by Mav666; 24-06-16 at 00:30.
(Post Link) post #2566 of 2913 Old 23-06-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

So back home for a day. Managed to get some work done to my GT. Fitted some lovely stainless dome caps i had bought in France. Firstly to the rear bumper arch inner screws which have been open to the elements. New screws carefully fitted, old rusty ones removed and binned, and lovely machined caps screwed on. Also engine cover stainless round caps in interior trim domed caps. Then received my newly chromed rear bumper screws. Big thanks to the company Classics and chrome. The boss didn't charge me for the final set of bolts, due to them taking so long to be done. Also received my new limited edition OZ centre caps from the USA, they are stunning and really match my red brembo's very happy. Just looking forward to getting my gorgeous OZ'ds back from being refurbished and machined. Unfortunately they have had to be stripped twice due to so much crappy paint being on them over the years. Also 2 wheels were bent. All good though, they will look stunning when the work is done, and fitted with their new Pirelli P zero Robert De nero's.. ;-) Also found a company to make a brace bar net for the rear of my GT. Might go with a red net. Bloody love this car, driving her today after being away, was an absolute treat.

Damien.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0c1c3425-39b2-4b23-a881-a8d2fd6fe78f_zpsylvxyutn.jpg (96.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg ffb62d40-e638-4daf-abc1-f8eb3c7f835a_zpsgqhafeb0.jpg (65.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 4e4d1391-3271-499c-9281-9e5d7daa5e60_zps4rv73bdu.JPG (397.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 52386e1a-d039-4608-95d6-437439ffa264_zpsfybkpbcs.jpg (87.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg fc33ccbe-52e3-4eae-a942-10550cf3307e_zpswnvn8maf.JPG (334.8 KB, 17 views)

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
So back home for a day. Managed to get some work done to my GT. Fitted some lovely stainless dome caps i had bought in France. Firstly to the rear bumper arch inner screws which have been open to the elements. New screws carefully fitted, old rusty ones removed and binned, and lovely machined caps screwed on. Also engine cover stainless round caps in interior trim domed caps. Then received my newly chromed rear bumper screws. Big thanks to the company Classics and chrome. The boss didn't charge me for the final set of bolts, due to them taking so long to be done. Also received my new limited edition OZ centre caps from the USA, they are stunning and really match my red brembo's very happy. Just looking forward to getting my gorgeous OZ'ds back from being refurbished and machined. Unfortunately they have had to be stripped twice due to so much crappy paint being on them over the years. Also 2 wheels were bent. All good though, they will look stunning when the work is done, and fitted with their new Pirelli P zero Robert De nero's.. ;-) Also found a company to make a brace bar net for the rear of my GT. Might go with a red net. Bloody love this car, driving her today after being away, was an absolute treat.

Damien.
Please... Post a link to where those shiny screws and covers came from. I so need those in my life
bobulon likes this.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Not so sure im keen on the pointed tip but they definitely look a lot better than rusty old screws! Such a beautiful example of a GT you have there Damien!

It's cars like yours that make me want to get a derv GT for my next car and head down the hybrid route. Though getting it through the Swedish MOT might be challenging. But looking at cars like yours it makes me think that the hassle will be worth it!

Keep us updated when you get the wheels back.

As for me, as its a midsummer holiday today and being Sweden, you can't have midsummer without rain! So I will have some beers tonight and then wait until tomorrow to give my sportwagon a MUCH needed clean! Also ordered some oil for a top up which should arrive Tuesday next week to keep things running smoothly.

Just started my new job so now I'm pricing out my cambelt change for August and then a suspension refresh coming September/October as the uppers and shocks/springs are well and truly past their used by date.
ALFADOIT and bobulon like this.

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

GT Blackline

Stripped the turbo I removed from my GT last night. It would appear that the variable vanes have been catching on the impeller damaging both. Reason I've removed and stripped was a total lack of boost, when I first removed the turbo I could not turn the impellers until I moved the variable vane actuator. It sort of clunked the vanes back then I could turn things as normal. Picking up a nice shiny new one Monday hopefully back to normal next week.

County: -The Netherlands
Garage
Hi, i'm new here but driving alot of years.

2 weeks ago changed steeringpump and the alternator and got 2 fresh new tires on the front wheels, needed for the mot.
Because of an weard sound coming from that spot.

Today, checked, cleaned and refilled the airconditioning system with new internal filters.

Happy driving.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunHep View Post
Hi, i'm new here but driving alot of years.

2 weeks ago changed steeringpump and the alternator and got 2 fresh new tires on the front wheels, needed for the mot.
Because of an weard sound coming from that spot.

Today, checked, cleaned and refilled the airconditioning system with new internal filters.

Happy driving.
welcome..
VO2Max

Today, after several weeks of driving around with a badger-wrecked front bumper/undertray, my GT finally went into the bodyshop to be fixed!

And for the price of the insurance claim my man will also sort out my rear bumper which got damaged when I trusted the parking sensors to 'see' a chain-link fence I reversed into .
AussieAlex and bobulon like this.

AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
GT 3.2 Drivers seat bolster had the french seam stitching broken when I bought it. Overstitching had been applied to hold the seam together, and that had started to fall to bits.

Pulled that to pieces today, got rid of the overstitch, cleaned and re-coloured the worn leather on the bolster, and using colour matched thread and a curved leather needle, re-created the french seam.

It took a bit of patience, but I am very pleased with the result. It does not look new, but does look like it has worn naturally.
AO Member

Garage
Can you believe it, lower turbo hose started blowing today!! another job on the horizon, at least at this rate it'll have had everything done that a GT needs done within a couple of weeks, got me wrecked lol
ALFADOIT likes this.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Can you believe it, lower turbo hose started blowing today!! another job on the horizon, at least at this rate it'll have had everything done that a GT needs done within a couple of weeks, got me wrecked lol

5 minute job and an £18.15 part...

here you go...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO...YAAOSwstxVOYu~
Mav666 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , or gt , thread , today