Electrical/Warning problems 147 T-Spark 2001 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 28-06-14 Thread Starter
County: Devon

Member car:

147 T Spark

Help Electrical/Warning problems 147 T-Spark 2001

Hi all,

This is my first post and my first Alfa!

I have a few problems, which annoying as only just bought the car. The problems are listed below, if anyone can help with any before I head to a garage, I would be grateful

1. Rear driver side light stays on very dimly after switching everything off
2. Mileage reading on the dash is flashing all the time
3. Warning that the RHS Rear bulb has gone, but it is fine.
4. Brake lights intermittently don't work at all
5. Reversing light not working, but bulb is fine
6. Now and again wont start, with a warning 'Immobilizer Fault CODE'

This is a long list, but I suspect (And hope) they are all connected?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
Welcome and congrats on your first Alfa. I recently bought my wife a 2001 147 (1.6TS) they're good cars aren't they!

The glowing tail lights on a 156 are connected to the rev counter, the lighting controls all run through the tacho on the '56, not sure if it the same on the '47 so might be worth further investigation. Just checked this doesn't apply to 147, sorry.

Milage / odometer flashing is a CANBUS error. CANBUS is a communcation network that a lot of modern cars run on. Essentially means that all the different modules, from ECUs right down to window switch units, are all coded to the CANUS network and all talk to each other - its a communication line and all units have to be coded, like a membership number, and if one of them doesnt belong to the club the odometer flashes to tell you.

The fix is what is called a proxy-alignment procedure, it recodes all the modules the same and invites everyone to the club again. If you have an ELM diag cable and the correct software (MultiECUScan can do it but you may need the full version, I can't remember).

The bulb blown warning message is probably a poor connection, clean terminals and connections and see if it clears it up.

Brake light issue is probably the brake switch on the pedal, easily solved. check if you can check for a fault code for this, it does generate one but wont put the engine light on.

Reversing light - i assume you've checked the bulb so it will be likely the switch on the gearbox. you should be able to search for more info.

the CODE error is the car not recognising the transponder chip in the key - this is picked up by an arial in the ignition and it isnt unheared of for this arial to break down over time. again a search should give more info and probably how-to fixes.

Good luck.

Previous Alfas:
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Current Alfas:
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso

Last edited by Artermis; 28-06-14 at 20:00.
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

I had a rear bulb warning light on for several years on my 2002 147. It was REALLY annoying and the garage failed to sort it out. They just told me to ignore it. That's not much help is it?!!
AO Gold Member
County: Hampshire
Rear tail light glow is usually body comp failure on 147 if it has failed that's probably what's caused the majority of the other problems. Not an easy fix. Either a new one which is 400 then you need it coded to your car, a virginalised one that you need to get coded. Or a second hand one but you'll also need the engine ecu, door locks and key. Maybe some more bits.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 30-06-14 Thread Starter
County: Devon

Member car:

147 T Spark

Hi all,

Many thanks for all your replies, they have been very helpful. I have booked in with my local ***** independent to have proxy-alignment done on Thursday. I have also ordered a new Brake light switch, so hopefully an easy fix. I will also clean all the bulb sockets with WD40 (thanks for the suggestion Artermis). I may pop back soon with a couple more questions, I'll see how it all goes and let you all know. Thanks Again all.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 2001 , electrical or warning , problems , tspark