Handling 156 Twin Spark What should I expect - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Handling 156 Twin Spark What should I expect

I have questions about the handling of my 156.

Firstly I get scuttle shake at 50mph in a narrow band of 5 mph. Additionally I get a degree of scuttle shake also on passing over minor bumps in the road. I have had a balance and an alignment done which did not greatly change anything.

Secondly I tend to get a bit of understeer or push through the corners especially in the wet.

After reading numerous posts here I feel pretty confident there are a few things I need to address to get my car handling the way it should.

The only car I can compare it to is my wifes Pug 206 GTI which has low mileage on the clock. That not withstanding it is far better handling than the 156.

If anyone can give me an idea of what I should be getting I would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Re: Handling 156 Twin Spark What should I expect

Sounds like you need to check the wishbones and the shocks out, could be either. Surprised about scuttle shake though, this is normally reserved for soft tops and is caused by lack of rigidity from not having a roof.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

A 156 will understeer to a certain point as it is a fwd. Could also be down to the tyres you have fitted. Some tyres will last forever but have low grip as the rubber compound is hard. Moving to a softer tyre will improve handling but you will be back to the tyres fitters more regularly. Also the amount of tread is a big factor and as they wear, the grip goes.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

The tie rods on the rear suspension may be worn. This will give a shake at the rear over transverse ridges. A wheel alignment check may not spot this.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

My one short drive in a 156 told me it was a really sweet handler, a mile better than other cars with the (intrinsically poor) transverse engine/front drive layout. If you feel your Peug is better then a thorough check of tyres/pressures, alignment, suspension and steering rack bushes (front and rear) is in order.
PS: I liked driving Peugeots and many had a good reputation for their handling/steering characteristics (eg 205, 406 when they came out) - times move on!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , expect , handling , spark , twin