Another feckin problem! Loss of power after turbo replacement -Help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Another feckin problem! Loss of power after turbo replacement -Help!

Hi, you might remember me from threads such as:

Car: 2003 Alfa 156 16v JTD Turismo 1.9

Background story:

Turbo blew about 3-4 weeks ago, sourced a brand new replacement Garrett turbo,
has been fitted and oil filter / oil changed also.
It was fitted by the garage which supplied the recovery truck to pick her up, I normally
have the car serviced and looked at by Ti Autos in Dublin.

I have been driving the car since picking her up almost exactly a week ago and she's been like new. I was very happy with the work done.
I was delighted with how she drove and how well the new turbo seemed to be working.
In the past week the car hasn't hasn't had much work but on Friday I did about 175 miles
with no problem whatsoever.

This evening I made the return trip back to Dublin. All going well, cruise control was set on the motorway and I was doing on average 120-130 kph.

Very much like what happened when the turbo blew a few weeks back, I suddenly found (whilst overtaking) that the acceleration hit a flat spot, the engine wouldn't rev any higher and I couldn't gain any more speed, very frustrating. I had taken the cruise control off immediately.
I thought "here we go again!". I was petrified I was going to get a repeat of white smoke and another turbo failure but nothing sudden.
No overheating or engine warning lights. Nothing untoward in the cockpit.
So you're pressing the gas pedal and getting no response, dropping a gear or two increased the revs slightly but there was no natural surge from the engine, it was struggling hugely and when I met slight inclines it was an even greater struggle for the engine.

But the power loss continued, I pulled over, switched the engine off for a moment and then went to take off again. It was as if I was taking off in a lawnmower such was the lack of power and sluggishness. I was on the motorway and close to home in the dark so I said I will try and nurse her home, after shelling out the guts of a grand to have the car repaired I'm gutted y this as you can imagine. I could only get the car up to about 60mph and that was a struggle.It was hard to make out if there was any smoke as I wasn't in a lit up area.

I struggled on and got off the motorway and had to do another couple of miles in built up areas which was torture as everytime I slowed to a stop it was snail like taking off.

And all the while I'm worrying how much damage am I doing by driving the car on in this state. It was then I saw there was indeed quite a lot of smoke from the exhaust, it looked like grey/dark smoke but at night time it's hard to tell exactly.

I finally nursed her home as carefully as I could. Parked up and switched off. When I started the engine again, I could hear a distinct rattle, not too loud but like something loose somewhere.
There was a also a strange smell which I found hard to place.

I did a search for the same symptoms before I started this thread and this was the closest I could find to my description:

So, what might this be?

Just 7-8 days of flawless driving since a new turbo was fitted. No engine warning lights, no overheating or temperatures up.

Could one of the turbo inlet hoses have come loose?

Another problem is I don't fancy trying to get the car across the city to Ti Autos garage so I may have to call someone out to look at it.

The garage who fitted the turbo is over an hour away. I will most likely call them tomorrow and see if they have an idea.

I just find it strange how a problem like this could materialise after a week of issue free driving.

Any advice appreciated as always.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 23-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
I think the 1st thing to do is to check that the turbo outlet hose hasnt come off, you can probably feel it from on top, its the hose on the bottom of the turbo that points towards the gearbox side. If you are sure its still fitted then take off the intake pipe to the turbo, its the large pipe that goes to the center of the turbo. with it off you can feel the compressor wheel , it should spin freely with little or no sideways play.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 23-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks Jon I'll have a look at that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

feckin , loss , power , problem , replacement , turbo