*** 156 Keys ... the guide! *** - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
Re: *** 156 Keys ... the guide! ***

This key tread keeps going and going........ and I still don't understand it. I have wanted a second key for my 2001 156 for the past 4 years. Every now and again I read these types of threads and never seem to get the answer.

Am I right in assuming that I could buy a second hand key (with remote) from ebay, get a new blade cut, buy a code card (whatever that is) and still not be able to get it to work with my car.

Seems the only way of being sure is to bit the bullet and pay the £150 at a dealer.... or have I still got it completely wrong?
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Seems the only way of being sure is to bit the bullet and pay the £150 at a dealer.... or have I still got it completely wrong?
You are spot on.
If you want a new fully functional key, that is guaranteed to work, that is the best (and really the only) way.

Thanks david c, so there is no way that alfa can reprogramme a fob i buy off ebay to work my central locking and alarm? can they not wipe the code that's on the fob and upload my code? Nic
County: Lancashire

Member car:

I lost my code2 key today.

I have a spare but the remote button is on its last legs.

With this in mind can I get a key cut at Timpsons (or elsewhere)that will open the doors manually and start the engine (ie disable the immobiliser). I am really not bothered about loosing the alarm feature as TBH it's a PITA.

I ask because I know that Seicento Mk2's use the FIAT code 2 system and it cost me £25 for get a replacement key for that.
AO Gold Member
County: Western Cape
1. It is easy to get any key to start your car provided that you have 1 working key.
2. The alarm is the problem. It runs off a different system. To get it to work you will need the alarm code.
3. Most automotive keysmiths these days have ways to make your keys work if you have the code card.
4. Data recall outlets can read your code and reprogram your ecu to accept the new key or provide you with instructions at cost of how you could perform these functions yourself.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , guide , keys