GT knocking on front end - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9jtd

GT knocking on front end

Hi everyone, hope your all well.

I have a question regarding a knocking sound that has started over uneven surfaces. I'm suspecting the bushes are shot, possibly the shocks as well? the car is an 05 reg GT 1.9Jtd with 45k miles.

The side effects of the knocking is the car is drifing to the left when the steering is released, and has to be held slightly left lock to go straight. Tyre wear is awfull, with very worn inside edges to the fronts; this is now causing a slight vibration at speed (90 approx).

So, to the question; are the bushes, and possibly the shocks likely to be covered under warrenty for a car of this age and mileage?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Gloucestershire
Re: GT knocking on front end

A few years ago my Fiat had new anti roll bar drop links under warranty. You may have worn bushes, I would expect free replacement, but they might try the wear and tear routine. If my 49,000 miler had your problem, I would expect Alfa help, let us know how you get on. I suspect it is running out of track due to some component wear.
AO Member

Member car:

gt 3.2

Just had the drop link bushes on the rollbar done and the the bottom arm bushes replaced under warranty on my 36k 05 3.2 gt. Car rides better, no knocks when cold etc. Had the same done on the two 166's that i had at the same milage. Get the top left engine mount bush checked. They are a common one to wear.

No question of wear & tear with my dealer. (SGT Slough).

Make friends with your service dept!!!!!

Good luck
AO Silver Member

The AR bar drop links are the normal cause of the clonking on uneven surfaces with the 156 based vehicles - all part of their character...

Regional Representative
For United Arab Emirates - AO-UAE
County: Dubayy

My GT had covered around 34k (JTD) and I had the same knocking when cold for about 15mins until warmed up, had the drop links replaced and all is good again!!

Just had four new tyres (groan!) and all is even better in the world now, especially using Shell V-Power diesel :-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

end , front , knocking