help! 156 problems. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 11-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
help! 156 problems.

firslt my passenger door button keeps stikcing in preventing me from closing the door unless I slam it really hard to move the button and then really hard again to close it! the garage have lubrictaed it today but it still sticks a little any ideas?

Also my boot lid is stuck shut. When I press the button on the key it sounds like it is popping to open but it is not opening. the handle inside th car seem very loose as well. It is going the garage again tomorrow but any ideas would be much apprciated.

Oh and I have had my car serviced at a non alfa garage and no I cant get rid of the service expired warning thingy. Any ideas if i cna do this myself?

Sponsored Links

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

Re: help! 156 problems.

I have the same problem with Alfa 156.... very very annoying....
I find it sticks after I wash the car.... It must be water making it swell.... after the car has been in the sun (DRIES) it then seems fine.

Best sollution is to 1) avoid graphite powere as this only makes it stick more, 2) avoid using CRC and it simply attract dirt and makes it stick more, 3) buy a can of compressed air from a Computer store - used for cleaning keyboards out..... this can be sprayed into the lock.....

Not a perfect solution but better than nothing....

ALSO - I don't think the non-alfa dealer caused this..... Alfa's are a bit touchy at times - this stops common people driving them....
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 11-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks for the idea on the lock, living in sunny old england (gale force winds and chucking it down with rain at the mo) it could we be damp in the lock. Ill try your idea.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Idea Re: help! 156 problems.

To clear service interval (156 with info podule only, sorry 147 owners - dealer only job for you ):
  1. Car stationary, ignition on, engine off
  2. Press Info then + a few times to reach Service in the menu
  3. Press Info again to display Service mileage
  4. Press and hold + and - together for two seconds
  5. Job done!
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 13-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well the boot is open again. Only £25 as well. Apparantly the keep had come down on the wrong side of the lock, fairly common according the garage and may require a new one if it happens again. They also reset the service clock but thanks for the help on that anyway.
AO Platinum Member

For the door button, silicone spray lubricant works for me.
If it is very dirty you may need the help of something very thin & flexible to get the crud out (a very small plastic cable-tie works well).
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

My drivers side door button used to do that, it stopped by itself. To unstick it without slamming the door, with the door open insert your key, twist slightly (5 or 10 degrees-ish) and then pull lightly, it should pull the button out of the door. Doesn't solve the sticking issue but its better than slamming the doors.

Hope this helps
AO Member
County: Cornwall

Had the same problem on my Sportwagon , I finally used electrical cleaner , non lubricating type for cleaning electronic components this just removes the build up of muck in the handle releasing the button. I haven't added a WD40 type spray as it may help the build up of muck to restart .
Make sure you keep it off your paint !!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , problems