Buying a 156 JTD - info needed and appreciated - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD -04

Buying a 156 JTD - info needed and appreciated

I'm considering buying a diesel 156 to use as my 'wear & tear'-car as I'll be doing a lot more miles the coming years in my job.

I'm not sure which engine to choose though, I've been trying to do some research but there's just too many of them and the sites I've visited all contradict each other.

I'm looking to get at least 140 hp, was the M-Jet engine that's currently in the GT (among others) ever fitted in the 156, if so, which year?
And when was the biggest 2.4 175 hp engine introduced?
I'll mostly be driving country roads with lots of lorrys, so I need a lot of power and torque for safe overtaking.
Also, what are the service intervals for the cambelt change for these engines?

Trouble is, due to tax reasons diesels haven't been too popular here in Sweden, so there aren't any here I can take for a test drive.
I'm gonna have to import the car, so any JTD thoughts and recommendations are very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 jtdm

Re: Buying a 156 JTD - info needed and appreciated

I drive a 156 Jtdm a 2004 140 BHP remapped to 185 BHP by angel Tuning.

Cannot fault the engine goes like hell now its been mapped.

Mine was the very last of the 140's

I am pretty sue the GT uses the same engine at 150 BHP
AO Member

I've just posted my input on a similar thread, so to save my typing click here.

140 was in the 2001 car, I'm afraid I don't know for sure when the M-Jet was added (off the top of my head 2002 for 150 and 2004 for 175, but don't rely on this as fact) but a search around here should give you the answer you are looking for.

Cambelt (again off the top of my head) was 72k, but seems to be recommended around 60k from the threads I've seen.

Overtaking is marginal in the 140, a remap should make it a more comfortable experience (but not driven a remapped car to confirm this yet). If you are used to petrol cars then the 140 feels more like 125-130bhp IMHO, certainly a Clio Williams / 306 GTi-6 / 206 GTi / 106 GTi / Saxo VTS will murder one despite having power figures in the same ballpark.

Initial impressions are the 156 will fullfill the wear and tear use you are after, that's what mine will be used for as well
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 20-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD -04

Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to go with either the 136bhp or 140 bhp 2.4 engines, as I want something a bit quicker than the 164 2.5 TD I had before buying my current GT.

Unfortunately, it seems I'll be forced to sell my GT as I won't be able to afford two cars right now, and buying a GT JTD isn't an option as I'll be needing the extra boot space offered by the 156 SW.

So, I'll be getting a 156 SW and spice it up a bit, both mechanically and cosmetically.

My first question, has anyone tried the tuning boxes being sold on eBay?
Like this one :

Sorry, it's in German, but as you can see it promises 27 extra bhp for just 79 Euro, and his customers seem to be really happy.
I've heard a lot of people talk about Angel Tuning at this forum, haven't heard of them before since I don't live in England, but if they can tune 136 bhp to 200 bhp maybe it's worth the £380 asked?
Providing it's easy to install, since I probably won't be driving to the UK to have it fitted
And, does the clutch really cope with 64 extra bhp?

My second question, has anyone fitted 'sport' air filters or exhausts on their JTD?
Since I'm looking to get the car a bit more sporty, I figured the diesel might sound a lot nicer with a sport exhaust fitted.
Anyone heard what it sounds like?

Lastly, I'm planning on fitting a spoiler/side skirt package, so I'm searching for links to galleries with styled SW's.. does anyone have any good links?

Sorry about the long post, and cheers in advance!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , appreciated , buying , info , jtd , needed