147 Buying Advice Please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-01-07 Thread Starter
147 Buying Advice Please

I'm thinking of changing my GTV for a 147, possibly the GTa. Does anyone have any advice on what I should look out for? I think the purse strings will stretch to a 2 or 3 year old one. Also, are there any pitfalls to ownership you thimk I should be aware of.
Sponsored Links
Mark Alfa
Re: 147 Buying Advice Please

Not to sure about 147GTA but if you go for a 147 with the Twin Spark engine the cambelt can break without warning. Had mine replaced at 23k as the idle roller had started to descintigrate. Alfa reckomend a cambelt check at the 36k mile service and cambelt change at the 70k but I understand now after reading some of the threads on here that Alfa reckomend a cambelt belt change at 36k miles. Twin Sparks can use a lot of oil, Alfa say 1ltr of oil per 1000 miles is normal. Also the suspension bushes can wear. Haven't really suffered any electrical faults with mine other than the rear fog light connector fitting a bit loose on the bulb, otherwise the 147 is a very good car
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 25
County: Shropshire
Re: 147 Buying Advice Please

If you go for a 2lt rather than the GTA then, from a point of view of the engine, I would imagine that, as you already have a Twin Spark, it should just be a case of taking the same precautions as you do now i.e. cam belt considerations, oil consumption etc etc!

As for the rest of the stuff. Try searching the forum as there are a number of threads already in existence with fairly comprehensive advice for potential 147 buyers. Lots of posts about the normal pitfalls and things to look out for prior to purchase.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , advice , buying